• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko - Heavyweight Boxing Championship- Saturday 4/29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans won't pay to watch unless an American is fighting and likely to win.

America hasn't produced a good heavyweight in a while.

LOL This is nonsense, how many American fans paid to watch A Filipino vs A Mexican. America respects Greatness.

I agree that America hasn't produced a good heavyweight and that largely has to do with increased recruiting and popularity of College Basketball and Football, NBA and NFL, and decreased popularity of Boxing, The War on Drugs and Prison Industrial Complex.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anthony Joshua has too many potential money matches:

1. Klitschko Rematch
  2. Tyson Fury
  3. Deontay Wilder
  4. Joseph Parker

They'll stay away from Fury. They'll either rematch with Wlad or try and make a huge US fight with Wilder.

ZF1Fy7i.gif

kinggroin

Banned
Yup those tend to be UFC fans. Lack of White American champions in boxing is a big reason. Best American fighters tend to be Black and Latino.

This never stopped white people in the past.

And fuck the US anyway for ignoring the sport, this year has been phenominal​, providing the kind of action fights and best vs best matchups folks say don't exist.

But it's not heavyweight. Ffs.

Baleoce

The fifth though.... jesus. And Joshua completely went all in in that round, but.... expected to finish it, and was on the defensive and could barely raise his arms for the rest of the round when he realised that Vlad still had it in the tank. Which led to Josh getting downed because he had nothing left, and then it somehow settled (which Josh wanted/needed) until the 11th and then somehow he came out again like a man possessed, like he was back in the 5th and took him down once and again until the ref called it. I guess that's what 14 years age gap will do to you... But I have to be honest. I didn't know which way that would go at one point. I was second guessing myself..

At one point I was thinking, Joshua has busted his tank too soon. Then I thought, Vlad is used to going the distance, and has done it regularly over his career, so it's not new ground for him. So he was going to play it out on points, because on the card he was up by one at the 10th. But then at one point in about the 9th or 10th I noticed Joshua had got his footing back, and regained his stamina. Completely renewed.. Like I say, that 14 year difference has something to say for it.. God damn, even though i watche it live, I would love to see a replay..

Beefy

No he didn't. He said he wants to come to America and become a star here.

It was a interview. He said it use to be his dream to have a big fight in the US, but it isn't now. He said he has no need to fight in the US when you can get 90k at Wembley in UK.

But the Pac-Mayweater fight broke records.

Really? The two most popular boxers fighting each other will transcend conventions. People in general will watch something outside of what they'd normally watch if it's the biggest event of all time even if it's out of curiosity. LOL

It was a interview. He said it use to be his dream to have a big fight in the US, but it isn't now. He said he has no need to fight in the US when you can get 90k at Wembley in UK.

I don't blame him, he shouldn't when there's no American Heavyweight that has any leverage.

Moze

Banned
Joshua definitely deserves credit for that regardless of Wlad's age. Wlad was great and far better than he was during the Fury fight.

Baleoce

First time I've bought a boxing match

No regrets.

Mate, if that's the first time you've bought a boxing match, you should play the lottery this weekend.

Joshua definitely deserves credit for that regardless of Wlad's age. Wlad was great and far better than he was during the Fury fight.

No doubt, the Fury fight was a wakeup call for him and he looked a ton better there than he did back then.

Y'know what, you're right and I shouldn't be so hard on Joshua. And after all it's said and done, despite his inexperience he was capable of dealing with adversity and throwing himself out and stay composed enough to Knock out a future Hall of Famer in later rounds he's never even had to fight in. Overall a great learning experience for him.

El Topo

No doubt, the Fury fight was a wakeup call for him and he looked a ton better there than he did back then.

That may be true, but I think Fury also had a much better fight plan.

Y'know what, you're right and I shouldn't be so hard on Joshua. And after all it's said and done, despite his inexperience he was capable of dealing with adversity and throwing himself out and stay composed enough to Knock out a future Hall of Famer in later rounds he's never even had to fight in. Overall a great learning experience for him.

I mean, you grow by facing new, tough challenges.
Yes, he didn't always look amazing, but on the other hand he came back from two very tough spots, he showed that he is able to go the distance and use his energy smartly. Mental fortitude is important.

jesu

I was up for Joshua but it was good to see Klitschko being so assertive there, towards the end I wouldn't have minded if he won.

I'd love to see Joshua destroy Tyson Fury now, he's such a dick.

Syder

Here's how I had the first 10 rounds scored:
1. 10-9
2. 9-10
3. 10-9
4. 10-9
5. 9-8
6. 8-10
7. 9-10
8. 9-10
9. 10-9
10. 10-9​

Joshua - 94
Klitschko - 93

Very surprising from Joshua still having that amazing round 11 within him after looking like he'd spent most of his fuel. Fight of the Year so far.

...and one last gif

gccuPka.gif

Barack_Whew.png

Baleoce

I was up for Joshua but it was good to see Klitschko being so assertive there, towards the end I wouldn't have minded if he won.

I'd love to see Joshua destroy Tyson Fury now, he's such a dick.

If it went to the scorecards after the 12th I think Vlad would have had a very good chance at winning that fight. But I think that's pretty much why Joshua came out in the 11th like he did. It was like a replay of the 5th, which is insane.

RulkezX

Fucking AJ 🇬🇧🥊🇬🇧🥊🇬🇧🥊😍🥊😍🥊🇬🇧

I mean, you grow by facing new, tough challenges.
Yes, he didn't always look amazing, but on the other hand he came back from two very tough spots, he showed that he is able to go the distance and use his energy smartly. Mental fortitude is important.

True, but I think Wlad was ready to be put out to pasture despite him looking much better than he did in the Fury bout. Given Joshua's size and youth, I figured he'd take the old man out if his potential for greatness was as high as I thought it was. Perhaps that's too harsh. I don't know, we'll find out in the future.

Baleoce

The bit that stands out to me overall in that fight was after the knockdown in the 5th when Joshua was knackered and out of stamina, and it came to a point where they were trading blows and dead men standing... I don't think I'll forget that xD It was literally like something out of a film.

Boxing isn't dead in the US but most of the popularity in the US lies in the lower weight classes. Probably because there hasn't been great US champs in the heavier weight classes for awhile.

Can't argue with that tbh, all of his most marketable fights are against British boxers. He'll make more money staying here and letting any American heavyweights come to him.

Much respect for Klitchko but finally glad the reign of the brothers is finally over. The heavyweight division will finally be exciting to watch again.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm still amazed by the fact that Joshua recovered from Klitschko's right in the 6th round. No way man. That was probably the moment that turned the fight mentally.

I sadly haven't seen this moment.

Damn you real life.

Much respect for Klitchko but finally glad the reign of the brothers is finally over. The heavyweight division will finally be exciting to watch again.

Hey, Vitali was much more exciting to watch than his brother. Matter of fact if it was Vlad that suffered the back injuries and had to stay out of Boxing, and Vitali that united all the belts and dominated, I think the Heavyweight division would've been in much better condition as a glamour division in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom