• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko - Heavyweight Boxing Championship- Saturday 4/29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshua genuinely has no technique, that motherfucker was dazed for three rounds. He's going to get fucked over sooner rather than later, a 41 year old doing that to you ain't no joke.

Baleoce

God damn, I need to see a replay of this. I feel like the hype may skew my perspective, but thinking back on it, I think it's completely justified. Couldn't help but admire the shape that Joshua was in before the fight as well. gatdayumn.

Joshua genuinely has no technique, that motherfucker was dazed for three rounds. He's going to get fucked over sooner rather than later, a 41 year old doing that to you ain't no joke.

The problem though is the overall quality of Heavyweights isn't what it used to be. Who's going to exploit it? I think Joshua could have a long run.

For one, that you feel like you have to all-caps America..

LOL Anymore fallacies you plan on utilizing to avoid the crux of the subject?

Showaddy

By who? Vlad was in superb condition despite his age and easily one of the best in the division, the list of challengers for Joshua isn't exactly long.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The problem though is the overall quality of Heavyweights isn't what it used to be. Who's going to exploit it? I think Joshua could have a long run.

LOL Anymore fallacies you plan on utilizing to avoid the crux of the subject?

Nah, I'm done with you, rest easy :)

Nodnol

What a superb fight. Thoroughly entertaining.

Thought Vlad was going to finish AJ at one point; Joshua was fucked. Both men put on a great show, but for Joshua to take those hits, to look like he had nothing left, recover, and find his second wind to put Klitchko down in the 11th is some going.

Fair play to Klitchko though, looked like the Klitchko of old, albeit with a few more miles on the clock.

You'd have to think that tonight would have been a massive learning experience for Joshua too. Hopefully he faces Fury sometime soon and sits his arse down.

I think it's interesting how both fighters prepared for this fight.

Joshua knew he couldn't outbox a veteran 41 year old so made himself as powerful as possible and came in at his heaviest ever weight.

Wlad knew Joshuas power and size is the real deal, so he focused on being lean and light footed to make Joshua have to box him.

In the end, both their training ended up being detrimental.

Wlad didn't have the stature to impose himself using his weight like he usually would. Joshua could literally throw him around the ring with the force of his punches.

Joshua on the other hand, couldn't unleash his usual flurries of combos and was looking drained only a couple rounds in. His extra weight made the fact that Wlad was making him stay on his toes a big problem. To the point where unleashing a single flurry almost gave him a heart attack.

Baleoce

The idea that Joshua, who just KO'd Wlad, has 'no technique' is laughable.

Yeah that's just bs talking. Joshua is skilled as fuck. Yeah, years help, but let's not pretend like he hasn't worked like fuck for this. He didn't win this on years. He calculated this. He took it steady for 4 rounds seeking it out. Then in the 5th he tried to finish it, let there be no doubt. He wanted to end it that round. But guess a fucking 'gain. Vlad is used to these long onslaughts. So Joshua was taken aback by this and had to find some stamina literally to just get the will to put his hands up and block til the end of that round.He had to settle that fight over the next two or three rounds realising that Vlad was playing this game not on a KO but on points. Come to the 10/11th and suddenly even though the scorecard was even, Joshua realised he had the stamina advantange. No matter what you say, that 11th, he came out again like it was the 5th. And that was the difference.

BadAss2961

Best heavyweight fight i've seen in a long time. Wlad looked done at one point, Joshua in the next. Youth won out.

Wlad should hang em up. Good fight to retire on.

Syder

Joshua gets KO'd by Wilder in 5 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wilder's footwork has never been as good as Klitschko's was tonight so he'd have to avoid AJ's right hook first.

I still think Wilder is the hardest-hitting Heavyweight in the world and by some distance, his ability to finish people off is a sight to behold.

I want to see this fight so much.

No one talking about Joseph Parker :-(

jesu

If it went to the scorecards after the 12th I think Vlad would have had a very good chance at winning that fight. But I think that's pretty much why Joshua came out in the 11th like he did. It was like a replay of the 5th, which is insane.

I was thinking Joshua would have struggled to go the distance, shows what I know!

Klitschko's trainer being Jonathon Banks was funny

hqdefault.jpg

King Kovu

Wilder's footwork has never been as good as Klitschko's was tonight so he'd have to avoid AJ's right hook first.

I still think Wilder is the hardest-hitting Heavyweight in the world and by some distance, his ability to finish people off is a sight to behold.

I want to see this fight so much.

No one talking about Joseph Parker :-(

I honestly thinks its a 50/50 fight. I'm only going for Wilder because he's American lol

Best heavyweight fight i've seen in a long time. Wlad looked done at one point, Joshua in the next. Youth won out.

Wlad should hang em up. Good fight to retire on.

People keep talking about youth, but it's quite clear that power and stature is what decided the fight.

Give Wlad a guy to fight with similar height and reach, with the power to touch his notorious glass jaw, and he will struggle.

Wlad style and vulnerablilities just doesn't work against someone like Joshua.

El Topo

Really wonderful how both handled the post-fight.

Hahah, what a cheap shoutout. The truth is that Klitchsko was in a much better state for Joshua than he was back then. As he was just now, he would have murdered Fury.

The truth is that Fury didn't try to knock out Klitschko. He had a great fight strategy that Klitschko had no answer for. I doubt that would work against Joshua.

BKK

Brilliant fight, swang back and forth between two great boxers. Joshua can only improve, and surely improved tonight after surviving the 6th, I thought it was all over then.

Baleoce

Really wonderful how both handled the post-fight.

The truth is that Fury didn't try to knock out Klitschko. He had a great fight strategy that Klitschko had no answer for. I doubt that would work against Joshua.

I was convinced from the 9th ojnwards that Joshua was going for the same long-game, but at the 11th it was like, nope... he's going all in. Respect.

Showaddy

Yeah I mean did Fury come close to putting down Vlad at any point in their fight?

Hey, Vitali was much more exciting to watch than his brother. Matter of fact if it was Vlad that suffered the back injuries and had to stay out of Boxing, and Vitali that united all the belts and dominated, I think the Heavyweight division would've been in much better condition as a glamour division in America.

agreed, but their mother prohibiting them from fighting each other stifled the division for quite some time.

BadAss2961

People keep talking about youth, but it's quite clear that power and stature is what decided the fight.

Give Wlad a guy to fight with similar height and reach, with the power to touch his notorious glass jaw, and he will struggle.

Wlad style and vulnerablilities just doesn't work against someone like Joshua.

Seems like these days you have to be at least 6'5 to hang at the top of the division. Wlad's style since Steward was always built around being the taller and longer fighter, so yeah, it's only natural for him to have a tougher time fighting guys his own size.

But still, Joshua had a second wind in the fight that Wlad didn't. Wlad was counting on being the fresher fighter late, and was encouraged when Joshua appeared to tire, this gave him energy. But Joshua came alive in those last couple rounds, so Wlad slowed down again from the natural wear and tear of a tough 10 rounds as well as being discouraged by the younger guy getting this sudden burst of energy. You could see it in the way Joshua would come out of his corner smiling confidently, and with the snap back in his punches.

El Topo

agreed, but their mother prohibiting them from fighting each other stifled the division for quite some time.

Even without their promise there was no reason for them to fight each other. This way they completely dominated the division and racked up a ton of money. Why throw that away for one (presumably big) cash-in?

Baleoce

great fight, one for the ages. both fighters showed us something new..

wlad's performance was phenomenal for a man of his age and mileage. never seen his lateral movement look so good. incredible heart to take control of the fight after the knockdown, his jab was firmly established in the 8th and 9th, you've gotta put it up there with the holmes jab at this point.. but in the end he didn't have enough left to bring the heat in the championship rounds. a true all-timer.

and aj? well he needs to slim down a little bit but i'm sure he knows that. he learned a lot during this fight.. i was hoping to see a second wind from him after he appeared to gas in the middle rounds, and he did get that second wind.. and then some. the fact he had KO power at that stage of the fight was shocking to me. he's gonna be the man for a long time.

I tell you what, that second wind was a definite learning curve for Joshua. That's the first time he's had to go that long in a fight with that kind of stamina. But what a perfect time in his career to get a lesson like that, and come out on top. He has the experience now of coming out on top, going the distance (bar a single round).

He started training this month and seems determined to overcome his mental illness and get back in shape again.

He'll probably need a tune-up fight though.

Fury has no mental illness. He is a well known Coke head who got caught and blamed his usage on mental illness. I was at a party a long time ago when he was new to boxing and he was snorting lines like he was scarface.

Rellik

Fury has no mental illness. He is a well known Coke head who got caught and blamed his usage on mental illness. I was at a party a long time ago when he was new to boxing and he was snorting lines like he was scarface.

And this is why I avoid Boxing discussion on here. Laughable posts like these.

But I'm sure Mr. Hamburgler will be providing a full medical report to back up his post. Any day now...

Syder

All coked up and ready to go!

Edit: Wait, he blamed his "situation" on mental illness?
I mean, being a drug user/addict and being mentally ill aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not his doctor but I'm not one to question someone when they say they're struggling with a mental condition.

What an excellent fight. I hope AJ doesn't entertain Fury. He's been out of the ring for ages and doesn't deserve to come back with a shot at AJ. If he can prove his mental health and commitment first then sure it would be a massive fight.

AJ could potentially go for another belt and really clean up that division. Not sure Parker or Wilder will want anything to do with AJ after last night though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom