• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any DnB fans on neogaf?

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Gevolgen really mesmerized me with his Spider Dance EP. So i'm pretty happy he droped his new album yesterday.

I'm having a good time with it so that's why i share this here.

It also reads in the description:

"The album will impress those loving the classical sound of Metalheadz, Moving Shadow and Reinforced." so Malachai Malachai be sure to have a peek.

Last edited:

INC

I have the absolute honour of getting to see Noisia last ever UK DJ set at boomtown this year, I can't fucking wait, gonna be emotional, knowing they're gonna no more very soon...

8K17Ug3.jpg

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

This is so good. Dude displays more sound design variety in a four-bar section than I've had my entire 20-year hobbyist electronic music production career.
I love it too. I listen to the whole thing at least twice a week. I also convinced a lot of people with this album that aren't even into electronic sound. He improved a lot after Analog.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Mind if I ask: knee-jerk reaction--what's your favorite song (any producer/band/musician) at the moment?
Tough question.

There are so many good producers out there and given how much music i consume it is a very shallow statement to pick just one. Obviously i'm obsessed with Billain so let's keep him out of the equation for once.

I'd go for Tommy Andrews. Exit the Void is just so insanely passionately crafted. He definitely takes his time but this album was so worth it. Nearly 3 years since his last publication and the overall dead silence is hard to stomach. I could swear that Malux, Billain and others had their fingers in this album somehow given the social media posts at the time but i can't prove anything here. To me this is definitely one of the holy grails in modern sounddesign.

I could talk about this forever. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Thank you for asking!!! :messenger_heart: Not a single entity in my life is even remotely interested in such things so it's relieve for me when you ask such a question.

200.gif

Last edited:
Tough question.

There are so many good producers out there and given how much music i consume it is a very shallow statement to pick just one. Obviously i'm obsessed with Billain so let's keep him out of the equation for once.

I'd go for Tommy Andrews. Exit the Void is just so insanely passionately crafted. He definitely takes his time but this album was so worth it. Nearly 3 years since his last publication and the overall dead silence is hard to stomach. I could swear that Malux, Billain and others had their fingers in this album somehow given the social media posts at the time but i can't prove anything here. To me this is definitely one of the holy grails in modern sounddesign.

I could talk about this forever. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Thank you for asking!!! :messenger_heart: Not a single entity in my life is even remotely interested in such things so it's relieve for me when you ask such a question.

200.gif
Yeah, man! Same here with not really having folks in my immediate social circle really vibing with this type of electronic music, and I 1) learned about Billain from you and 2) haven't seen you post a song I didn't like. Figured I'd cut to the quick and ask for the creme de la creme haha

I'm going to check this out. Thanks!

Edit: Without fail--the song is absolutely massive! I honestly don't know how they keep each sound coming through distinctly while filling the whole sonic spectrum with detail. I'm assuming it takes understanding exactly which frequencies/ characteristics they want to promote for each instrument and cutting down the rest. Like, I put four instruments on my tracks and it sounds muddy and indistinct. Good shit. Legit feels like I get to time-travel into the future hearing this stuff. Cyberpunk 2077 should've included some Billain and his ilk

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Yeah, man! Same here with not really having folks in my immediate social circle really vibing with this type of electronic music, and I 1) learned about Billain from you and 2) haven't seen you post a song I didn't like. Figured I'd cut to the quick and ask for the creme de la creme haha
:messenger_heart:
Edit: Without fail--the song is absolutely massive! I honestly don't know how they keep each sound coming through distinctly while filling the whole sonic spectrum with detail. I'm assuming it takes understanding exactly which frequencies/ characteristics they want to promote for each instrument and cutting down the rest. Like, I put four instruments on my tracks and it sounds muddy and indistinct. Good shit. Legit feels like I get to time-travel into the future hearing this stuff. Cyberpunk 2077 should've included some Billain and his ilk
It's about characteristics and frequencies. Although some frequency graphs might show you a deflection that overlaps with another instrument it doesn't automatically mean they overlap or cancel each other out. It's about hearing the specific details in each sound and knowing what to layer. Obviously easier said than done but this is something you get used to over time when producing regularly. It's also the explanation why this album of Broken Note took so long. It takes time to find the right sounds and the correct arrangement.

:messenger_heart:

It's about characteristics and frequencies. Although some frequency graphs might show you a deflection that overlaps with another instrument it doesn't automatically mean they overlap or cancel each other out. It's about hearing the specific details in each sound and knowing what to layer. Obviously easier said than done but this is something you get used to over time when producing regularly. It's also the explanation why this album of Broken Note took so long. It takes time to find the right sounds and the correct arrangement.

Have you ever happened to run across a music production stream/recording of any of those guys' actual processes? Where they record their DAWs and talk through what they're doing as they make a track? I'd love to see how the pros go about it.

I seem to recall you dabble in music production as well, so thought you mightve run across something like that before

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Have you ever happened to run across a music production stream/recording of any of those guys' actual processes? Where they record their DAWs and talk through what they're doing as they make a track? I'd love to see how the pros go about it.

I seem to recall you dabble in music production as well, so thought you mightve run across something like that before
Tools are irrelevant, it's more about developing skills in navigating a pool of literally millions of choices, the deterministic action - reaction human vs machine feedback loop. Expanding one's engineering capabilities pretty much comes down to how much you're in control. Being effective in pushing it toward the elusive ever-evolving "end goal" is the third factor, commonly referred to as "talent". There really is no "secret sauce" or methods, the process is often rather similar, just achieved using different software or hardware. A lot of focus-saving rigor in establishing templates followed by experimentation in breaking those templates and continuous resampling. Real-time parameter randomizers spitting out subtle variants of established phrases are very useful but not without human creative perception in finding order in chaos and choosing what to do with it next.

Tools are irrelevant, it's more about developing skills in navigating a pool of literally millions of choices, the deterministic action - reaction human vs machine feedback loop. Expanding one's engineering capabilities pretty much comes down to how much you're in control. Being effective in pushing it toward the elusive ever-evolving "end goal" is the third factor, commonly referred to as "talent". There really is no "secret sauce" or methods, the process is often rather similar, just achieved using different software or hardware. A lot of focus-saving rigor in establishing templates followed by experimentation in breaking those templates and continuous resampling. Real-time parameter randomizers spitting out subtle variants of established phrases are very useful but not without human creative perception in finding order in chaos and choosing what to do with it next.
100%. Thanks for the thoughtful response. That's actually really helpful towards what kind of "education" I'm looking for.

What you're saying is more what I meant by "process". I don't care if they use Fruity Loops when I use Ableton or whatever because those skills translate. I want to watch the decision-making process. I want to see HOW they experiment and then train my ears to pick up on what they pick up on when they're experimenting and decide to move forward in a certain direction.

Sorry if I come off like treating this thread like a Google search, but I've been trying to take my music to the next level for a while and am stuck. And I ain't going to let lack of talent be an issue lol. I want to see what MY upper limit is. So If anyone knows of any videos where an electronic musician goes through that process, I'd very much be interested!

Last edited:
Top Bottom