• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Guilty Gear Diehards Here? I Need Help.

Okay, so I've always been sorta interested in the series, but only have one game, the Dreamcast iteration. I was going to get the PS2 sequel that came out a whiles ago (was it a sequel?) but never got around to it. But I know there's another one coming out for the PS2... or is it Xbox? I don't know why, but I've had a hard time keeping track of what games are what in the series.

Can anyone do me a favor and simply list down what games are in the series, as well as rate them, or guess how they should be? Should I go after the PS2 game which was already released, or wait for a new one? And if so, which one? What features will one have over the next?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Guilty Gear hit PSOne in 1998 or so. Beautifully animated game with little chop, but a bit imbalanced. Mostly memorable for being technically proficent on Sony's old dog.

Guilty Gear X hits DC a couple years later in 2000 IIRC. Gorgeous and lush, heavilly tweaked gameplay and engine. Essentially the backbone of what will become it's sequel.

Last year GGXX(or X2) hits PS2. More balanced experience than the last game, with tons of new features including branching story modes, challenges, unlockables, etc... One of the most advanced and proficient 2D fighters to ever release. The upgrades to the fighting technique are too numerous to discuss.

Guilty Gear X2 reload is hitting Xbox shortly. Essentially a slightly altered port of X2. It features a few new characters(or rather slight alterations to old ones) as well as XBL support for online play. $20!

Guilty Gear Isuka will be hitting PS2 soon as well. It's gotten some pretty mixed impressions, but it's essentially the same old game tricked out as a 4-player party fest. Supposedly controls can be really rough to learn with a button set to 'turn around'?

Ferrio

Banned
GGXX #Reload is the best version you can get, but isn't out here yet.

You can probably get GGXX cheap for the PS2, and it's well worth it. As for Isuka, it was an odd attempt at a team version of the game, but by all accounts failed miserably.

You always get I-no too!

slut.jpg

Thanks for the opinions, but I have to ask... what's the difference between Guilty Gear X2 reload and GGXX #Reload? Ferrios, you say that GGXX #Reload is the best version. How so? And is GGX2 really that worth getting if GGX2 Reload is the same thing, as Brandon F just said?

Ugh... I'm still confused!

Ferrio

Banned
FortNinety said:
Thanks for the opinions, but I have to ask... what's the difference between Guilty Gear X2 reload and GGXX #Reload? Ferrios, you say that GGXX #Reload is the best version. How so? And is GGX2 really that worth getting if GGX2 Reload is the same thing, as Brandon F just said?

Ugh... I'm still confused!

GGXX was released first.

GGXX #reload (there is no just plain reload) is the upgraded version. It adds one new character, addresses some balancing issue and just mucks with some of the character's, also changes RC and FRC graphics and a few minor minor things.

Mattering on GGXX's price and whether you want to wait for #reload, I think GGXX is well worth it.

Ferrio said:
GGXX was released first.

GGXX #reload (there is no just plain reload) is the upgraded version. It adds one new character, addresses some balancing issue and just mucks with some of the character's, also changes RC and FRC graphics and a few minor minor things.

Mattering on GGXX's price and whether you want to wait for #reload, I think GGXX is well worth it.

Cool. I think I'll just wait for reload. Besides, I always heard that getting a copy of GGXX was hard these days.

Also, dumb question, but how do you pronounce GGXX #reload anyhow?

Ferrio

Banned
FortNinety said:
Cool. I think I'll just wait for reload. Besides, I always heard that getting a copy of GGXX was hard these days.

Also, dumb question, but how do you pronounce GGXX #reload anyhow?

Guilty Gear XX Sharp Reload

john tv

There was also GGX Plus in Japan for PS2, which came out after GGX but before GGXX. I forget what was different about it. They're all so similar...

Ferrio

Banned
john tv said:
There was also GGX Plus in Japan for PS2, which came out after GGX but before GGXX. I forget what was different about it. They're all so similar...

Added Kliff, Justice and story mode.

ourumov

GGX is one of the fighting series I've tried to like but I haven't... I like the music, the gfx and some characters (Anji-Mito, Baiken, Ky-Iske) but I found the gameplay a bit stupid...
I enjoy much more playing Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers to say something similar...A pitty for me.

aku:jiki

I'm just gonna pop in here and say, yeah, Isuka isn't very fun at all. The 'turn around' button really does present a new feature that isn't welcome. It just feels unnatural and forced, and you keep forgetting it all the time.

The sidescrolling BEU mode wasn't all that hot either.

Ferrio

Banned
ourumov said:
GGX is one of the fighting series I've tried to like but I haven't... I like the music, the gfx and some characters (Anji-Mito, Baiken, Ky-Iske) but I found the gameplay a bit stupid...
I enjoy much more playing Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers to say something similar...A pitty for me.

GGX = suck
GGXX ~ = awesome

Dyne

Ferrio said:
So how'd you do?

You mean me, right? I got to the Semi-finals of the Guilty Gear tournament with May. I got served by the chap who won the contest there. Everyone else was such a pushover.

XS+

Banned
ourumov said:
I like the music, the gfx and some characters (Anji-Mito, Baiken, Ky-Iske) but I found the gameplay a bit stupid...
I have the exact opposite opinion (brilliant gameplay, but a pain to watch/listen to)

Ferrio

Banned
Dyne said:
Axl. His range really screwed me over. I should've used Faust.

Ya I can see Axl fucking over May's game pretty damn easily. Faust would of been a nice go, and he's easy to play.

Dyne

Ferrio said:
Ya I can see Axl fucking over May's game pretty damn easily. Faust would of been a nice go, and he's easy to play.

Yeah, Look Out Below would've REALLY benefited me because he liked to stay well away from me.

Ah well, there's always next year!

Ferrio

Banned
Dyne said:
Yeah, Look Out Below would've REALLY benefited me because he liked to stay well away from me.

Ah well, there's always next year!

Those his teleporting ones? That's trash.

WarPig

XS+ said:
I have the exact opposite opinion (brilliant gameplay, but a pain to watch/listen to)

This is because you have no soul.

Isuka, to throw in my two cents, appears to be basically stupid. The soundtrack kicks a lotta ass, though, and the new stage backgrounds RULE. I wish they'd just put those in #Reload or something.

I wonder if Isuka is, like, Arc System Works just saying "fuck off" to Sammy for making them use the Atomiswave. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing.

Edit: I also worship P2 I-No, with the black outfit and the red hair.

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
List time!

AMUSEMENT
-Guilty Gear X (Naomi) 2000
-Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival (Naomi GD-ROM) 2002
-Guilty Gear X Ver 1.5 (AtomisWave) 2003
-Guilty Gear XX #reload (Naomi GD-ROM) 2003
-Guilty Gear Isuka (AtomisWave) 2004
-Guilty Gear Online (AtomisWave) tba

CONSUMER
-Guilty Gear (PlayStation) 1998*
-Guilty Gear X (DreamCast) 2000
-Guilty Gear X (PlayStation 2) 2001
-Guilty Gear X Plus (PlayStation 2) 2001
-Guilty Gear X (PC) 2002
-Guilty Gear X2 (PlayStation 2) 2002
-Guilty Gear XX #reload (PlayStation 2) 2003
-Guilty Gear X2 Reload (XBox) 2004**
-Guilty Gear Isuka (PlayStation 2) 2004
-Guilty Gear XX #reload (PC) 2004***
-Guilty Gear Isuka (XBox) 2004**

HANDHELD
-Guilty Gear Petite (WonderSwan Color) 2001
-Guilty Gear Petite 2 (WonderSwan Color) 2001
-Guilty Gear X Advance Edition (GameBoy Advance) 2002

...all published by Sammy in Japan except...

*published by Arc System Works
**published by Microsoft Game Studios Japan
***published by MediaKite

Dyne

Oh yeah, I tried Isuka at the Lanwerx arcade before the tournament, and I couldn't stand it. Is there any way to turn around? It seemed I was stuck looking left all the time and I was getting raped from behind by some guy using Dizzy.

WarPig

I'll agree there -- team mode is way better than battle royal mode. Even if I don't much like either.

The fact that they make you use the turn button in a one-on-one match is STUPID STUPID STUPID, though.

DFS.

Top Bottom