• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater | Preview Thread

The_hunter

lg29hlY.jpeg
ydlS604.jpeg

Last edited:

A.Romero

It looks great. Modifying it would be too much of a risk.

For a modern take on this I rather wait for Kojima's next game.

RedC

Truth be told, what IGN stated is indeed a fair critique for a REMAKE where the original is easily accesible on modern platforms.

However given Kojima's lack of involvment in this project, taking the safest route was likely the best option Konami could've taken to not fuck this up for the fans.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Truth be told, what IGN stated is indeed a fair critique for a REMAKE where the original is easily accesible on modern platforms.

However given Kojima's lack of involvment in this project, taking the safest route was likely the best option Konami could've taken to not fuck this up for the fans.
Everything he said is spot on, and come release there will be plenty of reviewers saying similar.

I’m still excited for it, nowhere near as excited as I would be if they had actually brought the game more up to date.

Arachnid

I feel like these remakes are for people who haven't played the original.
One of the excerpts in OP includes an interview where they literally said that.

Meaning, you are right.

I wonder what changes people would actually welcome?
I mean, the dev interviews I saw stated that they were resistant to changes because they didn't want to mess with the fan nostalgia aspect. They were initially considering making wider gameplay changes but decided against it specifically for that reason. Can't have it both ways.

Plus, if it's for newer players, that's even more reason to modernize level design and AI more. Plenty of previews have noted how dated some of it feels. They didn't keep dated gameplay intact for new players.

SJRB

Gold Member
I swear when the first rumors for this game appeared most people were asking for a faithful remake and for Konami not to fuck this up.
Now that they did that, people are asking for something different.

They added fake fade to black transitions to fake a loading screen because the original had fade to black transitions. That is pushing it in terms of “bring faithful”.

Virtuous should remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake as one game and have david hayter write the script and have it star david hayter and kiefer sutherland and mads mikkelsen as dr madnar

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
They added fake fade to black transitions to fake a loading screen because the original had fade to black transitions. That is pushing it in terms of “bring faithful”.
The fade out during cutscenes is a Kojima trademark. It’s planned for the pacing of the cutscenes.

As for the gameplay, it’s a 1 second transition to show you’re in a new area. I don’t see the problem myself. You aren’t waiting 15 seconds to load in this time around.

I don't think Kojima would have done it this way. He would've included modern ideas to make the game better.
while i agree, & as much as i've always loved kojima, I'd say that, if he has a weakness, it's his compulsive need to endlessly tweak. he's never really satisfied, &, while that can be a good thing, it can also become a self-defeating obsession...

i'm just as happy to hear that they're leaving the game as it is...

A.Romero

I mean, the dev interviews I saw stated that they were resistant to changes because they didn't want to mess with the fan nostalgia aspect. They were initially considering making wider gameplay changes but decided against it specifically for that reason. Can't have it both ways.

Plus, if it's for newer players, that's even more reason to modernize level design and AI more. Plenty of previews have noted how dated some of it feels. They didn't keep dated gameplay intact for new players.

Just repeating what I saw on the first page:

As the first title in the franchise since Metal Gear Survive back in 2018, Konami is facing a lot of pressure from fans to deliver. Taking a break from my play session, I spoke to producer Noriaki Okamura about the process behind modernizing one of the most acclaimed games of all time.

Foremost, I wanted to discover why the team decided that now is the best time for a remake rather than a new entry. “There’s lots of younger fans that do not know the series and we found that quite shocking,” Okamura explains via a translator. “Younger fans not only had not played the games but had not even heard of the series. We knew that if we didn’t do something, the Metal Gear Solid series would just vanish out of existence.”

“Delta is the game that we really want to have draw in new fans and be the reason why people want to either get into Metal Gear Solid for the first time or get back into the series,” he continues. As for why they chose to remake the third Metal Gear Solid game, “This is the very first in terms of storyline [...] if I was asked by a friend or anyone, a younger fan perhaps, which game they should start from, I would recommend Metal Gear Solid 3.”

So from what I understand one of their motivations is bringing the game to new (younger) audiences.

I mentioned before that messing with the game further is too risky. I rather wait for a new game to play with new mechanics and whatever, no need to use MGS3 as a basis if they want to make something new. I'm guessing that the commercial success of this game will define if they continue making new games or not.

Konami still owns the rights to the (Phantom Pain) Fox Engine correct? I wonder how that specific game engine would be incorporated into Delta? Would it literally just be MGS5 gameplay with 1:1 cutscenes of Snake Eater? Or is it just easier for them to program the same PS2 gameplay/engine and just have better graphics?

Arachnid

Just repeating what I saw on the first page:

So from what I understand one of their motivations is bringing the game to new (younger) audiences.

I mentioned before that messing with the game further is too risky. I rather wait for a new game to play with new mechanics and whatever, no need to use MGS3 as a basis if they want to make something new. I'm guessing that the commercial success of this game will define if they continue making new games or not.
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but that interview states that new fans are the reason they decided to modernize some aspects.

The interview I saw stated the reason they kept some of the dated aspects is due to old fans and the nostalgia factor. My problem was the lack of modernization. The new movement the added for new players is fantastic. I want more of that.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Would. Will. Can’t wait.

Likely going bitch made 30 fps ps5 version. Don’t want to sit in front of a pc just for 60 fps. I’ll live.

A.Romero

Konami still owns the rights to the (Phantom Pain) Fox Engine correct? I wonder how that specific game engine would be incorporated into Delta? Would it literally just be MGS5 gameplay with 1:1 cutscenes of Snake Eater? Or is it just easier for them to program the same PS2 gameplay/engine and just have better graphics?
Apparently plays the same as MGS3, nothing related to MGS5 at all.

While it would probably be harder to modernize the gameplay to MGS5's or add other stuff, they opted to keep it as close to the original as possible.

Honestly reading that this is 1:1 faithful is kinda disappointing, not going to lie.

All the good remakes take the base game and add new elements to it, elevate it to a new high. There’s so much potential here but reading that they did nothing aside some control/UX stuff feels like a missed opportunity.

It's a different situation when the key members of the original creative team are still involved (as in FF7) or when they are not involved but still on good terms with the new creative team (as in RE2/RE4). Because Kojima's departure from Konami was both on very bad terms and highly publicized, I suspect that the new creative team fears the backlash that would come if they tampered with the original in any significant way, as it would be perceived as trying to overwrite Kojima's legacy behind his back.

Kojima is sadly swimming in Sony's money to care about MGS3. I mean they could've at least brought him as an advisor. Maybe they asked him and he refused.

Lol Konami couldn't care lessa bout Kojima. Theres 200 people that worked on those games, lets stop the cap with this imagination how Hideo came up with every single idea, every dialogue line, every level design, every joke etc. Its the opposite, he would have to beg them to let him be an advisor. What do they need him for, they are making a faithful remake in new coat of paint.

Last edited:
Honestly reading that this is 1:1 faithful is kinda disappointing, not going to lie.

All the good remakes take the base game and add new elements to it, elevate it to a new high. There’s so much potential here but reading that they did nothing aside some control/UX stuff feels like a missed opportunity.

I mean, I played MGS3 hundred times and I’ve had my fill , why should I replay it a 101st time if the base game is the exact same?

So then dont play it? Shadow of Collosus was a 1:1 remake, Demon Souls on PS5 was 1:1 remake and both games outshine the originals. Besides the visuals the most important thing in remakes is the quality of life changes to the controls. They already added changing cameo on the d-pad instead of having to pause and go into the menu to do that. I dont think games going out of their way to change the original vision is a good thing.

I dont care how big of a FF fan you are, nobody can deny that Rebirth had an insane amount of bloatware to the point of absolute boredom. Also because of their new vision for the game, you are esentially waiting 8 years to get a finished story with all 3 parts. Is that better than having a properly concentrated single 40 hour game of perfection. Based on critics of part 2, I dont know how many ppl are even excited for part 3, they are already burnt out and they remake hype has died down. Black Mesa (HL remake) was great until the Xen levels. Then they used their own creative minds and made the most boring and annoying part in the original, twice as long, twice as boring. Nobody asked for that.

In short, nothing bad with a solid direct 1:1 remake like SH2, because that is how I remember my games. I dont want a new outlook on a story or god forbid add some woke crap and start censoring left and right. So far we can still grab guys by the balls to interrogate.

Jesb

So then dont play it? Shadow of Collosus was a 1:1 remake, Demon Souls on PS5 was 1:1 remake and both games outshine the originals. Besides the visuals the most important thing in remakes is the quality of life changes to the controls. They already added changing cameo on the d-pad instead of having to pause and go into the menu to do that. I dont think games going out of their way to change the original vision is a good thing.

I dont care how big of a FF fan you are, nobody can deny that Rebirth had an insane amount of bloatware to the point of absolute boredom. Also because of their new vision for the game, you are esentially waiting 8 years to get a finished story with all 3 parts. Is that better than having a properly concentrated single 40 hour game of perfection. Based on critics of part 2, I dont know how many ppl are even excited for part 3, they are already burnt out and they remake hype has died down. Black Mesa (HL remake) was great until the Xen levels. Then they used their own creative minds and made the most boring and annoying part in the original, twice as long, twice as boring. Nobody asked for that.

In short, nothing bad with a solid direct 1:1 remake like SH2, because that is how I remember my games. I dont want a new outlook on a story or god forbid add some woke crap and start censoring left and right. So far we can still grab guys by the balls to interrogate.
Aren’t there new scenes in the SH2 remake where as this is just more of a 1:1 remake.

The_hunter

They have the Fox Engine, its great, but It's probably deprecated technology at this point. Worth just using an engine like Unreal that has all the latest features out of the box.

Aren’t there new scenes in the SH2 remake where as this is just more of a 1:1 remake.

Besides quality of life controls, so far everything looks the same. I didnt see any new locations, same characters, even 1:1 cutscenes. Could they add more later in the game to extend it, sure. But so far none of this looks like major changes.

Embearded

I want to say, i love that MGS is back in the first page of this forum with news and not LTTPs.
I've been waiting for years for this to happen, googling for MGS related news with no results and now it's back.

I am also very lukewarm on this being a 1:1 remake

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE MGS3 and will be getting this for sure, but they just released the master collection - if I want to play the original game as is, I can already do that.

I get that it’s good for younger people new to the series, but if they’re too thick to appreciate a PS2 game, fuck em 😂

Top Bottom