• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple CEO Tim Cook will leave his fortune to charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Why dont these ultra rich people donate all this money NOW, instead of some indeterminate future. If you have 800 million why cant you donate 10 million a year?

Its not like any human being need a billion dollars to live

Typically they do. Tim Cook gave away $100 MM a year or two ago. Bill Gates has already given out a major chunk of his fortune to start his foundation. etc.

What this pledge is about is giving your fortune to charity on your death, rather than turning it into dynastic wealth.

DOWN

Banned
Don't pledge to give it away, what kind of bollocks is that? Start now, you got so much that you could give away most of it and it would make no difference to your life.

He will have much more to give away if he waits, but he's stated to have privately been giving presently as well and is just not very public about it.

If you can afford it then good on you. I won't be able to afford millions when I die but I will he donating some of my future estate to charity.
Its not a competition, but good on him donating his wealth.

No matter how small a donation we can all help others. This is the key issue of this story is to get exposure to leave your money to charity and help others

Meicyn

Gold Member
It is incredible how someone can pledge a crapload of money to charity without any strings attached, and you can generate a thread full of bitchy people who are unhappy because the pledge isn't meeting their arbitrary terms on how someone else's money should be donated.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Good for Tim, but it is still a drop in the bucket compared to the cash reserves that his company is hording and preventing from being used. Apple could literally take the interest (7%) on their cash reserves of 155-170 billion dollars and employ 250k people 50k/year to do absolutely nothing and not deplete their cash reserves.

YoungHav

Banned
Charities will just skim $$$ off the top. Why not start your own charitable organization or give $ directly to the X most poorest families in America?

Not

Banned
I think everyone should do this. Wills are kinda messed up IMO.

and by "this" I mean ^^^^^^^ the post above mine. we should have a way to give directly to the poorest families.

Ominym

Banned
It is incredible how someone can pledge a crapload of money to charity without any strings attached, and you can generate a thread full of bitchy people who are unhappy because the pledge isn't meeting their arbitrary terms on how someone else's money should be donated.

Can't have a thread on the internet about money without someone else telling you how to spend it.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm really glad some of these extremely wealthy people are willing to do this. Says a lot about who they are. I just hope that the charities they leave their money to view their money in the same manner.

Didn't Steve own 4 Mercedes AMG models? I wouldn't consider that the same as living a frugal life.

I don't think he owned those cars necessarily because he was rich and to show off, he just loved being surrounded by the best possibly designed products one could use, as a product guy himself.

Guevara

I just wish these big companies were as magnanimous about repatriating corporate cash and paying taxes. Tax revenue does a lot of great things too, you know.

Flo_Evans

I just don't understand the motivations of some people like this.

Like once I get past 100mil I am done working for life.

IDK running the richest company on earth could give you a boner for awhile but if you are not going to buy mansions and fast cars whats the point of accumulating that much wealth?

I guess build up more to give away. Just seems kind of pointless to me. Like I can see if your job really is your passion but hawking consumer electronics?

If I was Tim cook right now I would just retire and build robots and make them fight each other and put it on youtube.

Cyan

Banned
I just wish these big companies were as magnanimous about repatriating corporate cash and paying taxes. Tax revenue does a lot of great things too, you know.

Publicly-traded companies essentially can't be magnanimous. Tim Cook can give away his personal fortune all he wants, but the minute he starts being magnanimous with Apple's money, the shareholders will be after his head.

legbone

man, that's cool. wish my name was charity. seriously tim if you are reading this i could use like 50k tops to fix my life. oh well, now where did i put those bootstraps?

mackaveli

Good for Tim, but it is still a drop in the bucket compared to the cash reserves that his company is hording and preventing from being used. Apple could literally take the interest (7%) on their cash reserves of 155-170 billion dollars and employ 250k people 50k/year to do absolutely nothing and not deplete their cash reserves.

Where do you get 7% from?

King_Moc

Banned
Charities will just skim $$$ off the top. Why not start your own charitable organization or give $ directly to the X most poorest families in America?

It's incredibly hard to do this without literally travelling to each individual family in person to hand them the money. Typically, the governments of these countries are corrupt in the extreme, and the money won't get to it's intended destination without you taking it yourself. I'm in a charity organisation and we ran into this problem when trying to help with schools in Jamaica.

AngryMoth

Good on him. You've kind of got to be an aresehole I think if you're a billionaire and you don't leave most of you're money to charity

sant

I just don't understand the motivations of some people like this.

Like once I get past 100mil I am done working for life.

IDK running the richest company on earth could give you a boner for awhile but if you are not going to buy mansions and fast cars whats the point of accumulating that much wealth?

I guess build up more to give away. Just seems kind of pointless to me. Like I can see if your job really is your passion but hawking consumer electronics?

If I was Tim cook right now I would just retire and build robots and make them fight each other and put it on youtube.

People that successful enjoy working, that's why they made it

3N16MA

Banned
That's a surprisingly low net worth for the CEO of Apple actually.

But still, awesome. Good to see more people signing 'The Giving Pledge' or equivalent.

Not really. He is not a founding member and was a Senior Vice President before coming CEO.

Jimrpg

Why dont these ultra rich people donate all this money NOW, instead of some indeterminate future. If you have 800 million why cant you donate 10 million a year?

Its not like any human being need a billion dollars to live
They probably do they just don't need to say it all the time.

Bessy67

Nice gesture I guess, but if you're just going to give away all your money anyways why are you drawing such an exorbitant salary? Like, pay your employees more or make your products cheaper...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nice gesture I guess, but if you're just going to give away all your money anyways why are you drawing such an exorbitant salary? Like, pay your employees more or make your products cheaper...

If Tim Cook didn't take any compensation at all this year, and all of that money was reinvested in making Apple's products cheaper, the average iPhone would be 52 cents cheaper if you did not give any discount to the iPad or Macs. If you wanted to share the discount across iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple TVs, the average product would be 35 cents cheaper. Does this seem like something that's going to make a difference?

I'd actually recommend taking a huge chunk, and buying off enough politicians to implement some liberal ass policies.

Don't just give it to a charity that helps the sick, give it to some crooked politicians on the condition that they'll pass single-payer health insurance!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'd actually recommend taking a huge chunk, and buying off enough politicians to implement some liberal ass policies.

Don't just give it to a charity that helps the sick, give it to some crooked politicians on the condition that they'll pass single-payer health insurance!

If a billion dollars could buy off enough politicians to swing policy, then 1,600+ other people could do the same thing, most in a more conservative direction than him. Why is there so little money in politics?

If a billion dollars could buy off enough politicians to swing policy, then 1,600+ other people could do the same thing, most in a more conservative direction than him. Why is there so little money in politics?

damnit :(

My dream of corporations and liberal rich CEOs playing the dirty politics game better than US conservatives remains just a dream...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
damnit :(

My dream of corporations and liberal rich CEOs playing the dirty politics game better than US conservatives remains just a dream...

image.php

jediyoshi

Why dont these ultra rich people donate all this money NOW, instead of some indeterminate future.

Because then you're essentially wasting money. If you can decrypt more efficient, effective ways for money to be utilized, then things work out better in the long run. The end means isn't simply funding existing programs and organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom