• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple CEO Tim Cook will leave his fortune to charity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand the motivations of some people like this.

Like once I get past 100mil I am done working for life.

IDK running the richest company on earth could give you a boner for awhile but if you are not going to buy mansions and fast cars whats the point of accumulating that much wealth?

I guess build up more to give away. Just seems kind of pointless to me. Like I can see if your job really is your passion but hawking consumer electronics?

If I was Tim cook right now I would just retire and build robots and make them fight each other and put it on youtube.

You don't get into a position of power like his by having a defined goal. Also running a $700 billion dollar company would have some awesome perks/power.

IceCold

I just don't understand the motivations of some people like this.

Like once I get past 100mil I am done working for life.

IDK running the richest company on earth could give you a boner for awhile but if you are not going to buy mansions and fast cars whats the point of accumulating that much wealth?

I guess build up more to give away. Just seems kind of pointless to me. Like I can see if your job really is your passion but hawking consumer electronics?

If I was Tim cook right now I would just retire and build robots and make them fight each other and put it on youtube.

I'm the same way. If I have enough cash to last multiple lifetimes I'm OUT and living life to the fullest. People like this aren't motivated by cash and the freedom it provides though. They are instead motivated by power and being #1. It helps that they are workaholics. Time Cook, for example, wakes up at 4:30am. By the time you wake up with bags under your eyes and a boner, he's already sent multiple emails and hit the gym. He most probably works around 18 hours a day.

Abounder

Banned

These guys want to change the world which does not seem pointless whatsoever. Also you can take care of your fellow staff and create even more opportunities by continuing to be successful.

With all these wealthy people pledging money to charity upon death, i hope the money help people in need and isn't stolen by greedy cunts..

Jb

Great move. I know it seems like a common thing for well known UHNW to do this but I still applaud it every time it happens.

YoungHav

Banned
It's incredibly hard to do this without literally travelling to each individual family in person to hand them the money. Typically, the governments of these countries are corrupt in the extreme, and the money won't get to it's intended destination without you taking it yourself. I'm in a charity organisation and we ran into this problem when trying to help with schools in Jamaica.
Yup. It's a fucking shame. My friend (rich as hell) is getting her white savior complex on and building a school in Haiti. I hooked her up w/some professionals who go there and help out... they all warned her that it would be an uphill battle because her money will be stolen. It's the same everywhere, people are just greedy fucks and Haiti's CIA backed regime surely undermines the country at every turn. There's less than 10M people there and last I checked $1US = $5Haitian, so why is there still extreme poverty there? Corruption and punk ass France making Haiti pay reparations for ruining their slave colony. Yeah, slaves are paying reparations to massa smfh.

entremet

Yup. It's a fucking shame. My friend (rich as hell) is getting her white savior complex on and building a school in Haiti. I hooked her up w/some professionals who go there and help out... they all warned her that it would be an uphill battle because her money will be stolen. It's the same everywhere, people are just greedy fucks and Haiti's CIA backed regime surely undermines the country at every turn. There's less than 10M people there and last I checked $1US = $5Haitian, so why is there still extreme poverty there? Corruption and punk ass France making Haiti pay reparations for ruining their slave colony. Yeah, slaves are paying reparations to massa smfh.

Are the reparations still going on? That's something evil regardless.

Rich people leaving their money to charity isn't a bad trend, but at the same time, the fact that most of these fortunes come from companies engaged in large scale, systematic tax evasion makes it bittersweet at best.

Especially now, when we're constantly hearing that the government given benefits that have built up in the western world aren't sustainable anymore. Pensions being cut, retirement age going up, etc. That these guys use creative accounting to hoard their wealth, and then get praised for arbitrarily doling it out to whatever charities they fancy when they no longer need it doesn't quite sit right with me.

Lone Wolf

With all that money, couldn't him or Apple just build all the products in the USA or other first world country and create living wage jobs for thousands? Wouldn't that be better?

Ushay

The real surprise here is that he isn't a billionaire :O

More people should do this, the money should go back to people that really need it.

rezuth

With all that money, couldn't him or Apple just build all the products in the USA or other first world country and create living wage jobs for thousands? Wouldn't that be better?
Supplychain doesn't exist, workers doesn't exist, factories doesn't exist and so on. It would require more than just Apple to make.

Beefy

It's great that rich people are doing this. I just hope it funds the right charities and doesn't end up in some random warlords lap by 'accident'.

rezuth

So build factories. Just like they do in China. Offer a decent wage and you will have workers.
You build factories for billions upon billions but then you don't have people to work in them. You can't walk down the street to the place that makes screws and get a last minute adjustment for your product. It wouldn't work. It's not just a random factory in China that makes your electronics. They have a whole ecosystem made.

TCRS

Banned
disgusting. give a few token dollars here and there but don't give away the whole thing idiot. put the rest into a trust fund for your family. your family will be rich and have influence forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom