• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has rejected Epic Games' subimission of their own Epic Games Store in IoS

Draugoth

Gold Member

"Fortnite" maker Epic Games said today that Apple was impeding its attempts to set up a games store on iPhones and iPads in Europe, the latest escalation in a bitter feud over the technology giant's control of the iOS app ecosystem.

Apple has twice rejected documents it submitted to launch the Epic Games Store because the design of certain buttons and labels was similar to those used by its App Store, the video-game publisher said.

"We are using the same "Install" and "In-app purchases" naming conventions that are used across popular app stores on multiple platforms, and are following standard conventions for buttons in iOS apps," Epic said in a series of posts on X.

ssringo

Gold Member
Petty GIF by AnimatedText

I love the continuing saga of these 2 companies.

Sorcerer

Epic should just make their own phone. Granted, it will be missing a number, and you won't be able to make a call. But free games!!!

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Is Epic trying to set up their own App Store on PlayStation or Xbox?

It is my impression that this whole case is Epic trying to avoid Apple’s sales comission. Why only Apple and not the other app stores?

reinking

Gold Member
Does Epic have their own store on Android? I know this is to circumvent the issues they have with Apple but I’m curious if they have a separate store.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Do you expect cheaper 1 dollar apps or new os vendors because of this regulation?
They made them drop the horribly anti consumer DRM cable that means users can not have one chager cable in their car for their devices and not have a 1200 phone shit the bed because the DRM reading HW on it failed. So the regulation had a great impact there. But go ahead and defend Apple against the evil EU because rushing to the defense of a multi trillion dollar company is so fucking cool.

ScHlAuChi

Is Epic trying to set up their own App Store on PlayStation or Xbox?
It is my impression that this whole case is Epic trying to avoid Apple’s sales comission. Why only Apple and not the other app stores?
Consoles are not "general purpose computing devices", you cant do your taxes with them or use it for online shopping etc...
However Mobile phones are defined as that, so different laws apply.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

Apple: How much?
EU: $38B.
Apple: It’s a deal.
Quote DMA: "It should be noted that, in the case the Commission finds an infringement of the DMA, it can impose fines of up to 10% of the company’s total worldwide turnover, or up to 20% in case of repeated infringement. In case of systematic infringements, the Commission may also adopt additional remedies such as obliging a gatekeeper to sell a business or parts of it."

Robb

Gold Member
Quote DMA: "It should be noted that, in the case the Commission finds an infringement of the DMA, it can impose fines of up to 10% of the company’s total worldwide turnover, or up to 20% in case of repeated infringement. In case of systematic infringements, the Commission may also adopt additional remedies such as obliging a gatekeeper to sell a business or parts of it."
So basically:

EU: 10% of your turnover if you want to see him cry once. 20% if you want to see him cry multiple times.
Apple: 20% it is.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

So basically:

EU: 10% of your turnover if you want to see him cry once. 20% if you want to see him cry multiple times.
Apple: 20% it is.
20% for each infringment - the fines would pile up so quickly that not even Apple could ignore that.
But it is way more likely that before that happens Tim Cook would be kicked out by shareholders.)

Comandr

I hope Apple makes a show of force here and just pulls out of the EU.

Before you screeching nerds scream at me about what a big market the EU is for them- import. Buy from the UK or Switzerland.🤷‍♂️

I think a demonstration of integrity is more important in the long run than short term cash loss. Apple certainly has enough stockpiled they can afford it.

Apple began implementing USB-C into their mobile products in 2018 with the iPad. So let’s not pretend the only reason they ever switched over was because of the EU’s constant moving goalpost mandates.

A smart manufacturer slowly doles out new features to keep numbers up. Long past are the days of radical changes to annual phone releases. At this point, you just drip feed must have features, even if it means playing the long game.

Even the Simpsons was aware of this 35 years ago.
00b1ef65-3810-4162-a536-b7e2d561ea26_text.gif

Last edited:

acm2000

You mean open it for scammers to scam you then you are correct. That's the main issue here to prevent people from building apps or stores that make you think you are in the legitimate App Store .
cause XcodeGhost never happened amirite

never once had a virus or malware on my phone, stupid people do stupid things and the sort of person who would want to sideload apps is the sort of person who should know what they are doing, it should be the users choice not Apples.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
cause XcodeGhost never happened amirite

never once had a virus or malware on my phone, stupid people do stupid things and the sort of person who would want to sideload apps is the sort of person who should know what they are doing, it should be the users choice not Apples.

Oh here comes the " Mac's can get viruses too " bs . The ratio to virus / malware infections is a minute amount compared to windows and android.
If you want a crappy experience get an android. Problem solved.🤷‍♂️😉

ScHlAuChi

I hope Apple makes a show of force here and just pulls out of the EU.
Smart idea, but you do realize that other countries in the world are pushing for similar laws?
So Apple is going to leave China, India, Korea, Japan and even the US to prove what exactly?
I´m pretty sure their competitors would be super happy!

Before you screeching nerds scream at me about what a big market the EU is for them- import. Buy from the UK or Switzerland.🤷‍♂️
The UK is preparing a similar law, Switzerland accepts EU laws, your solution doesnt work.

I think a demonstration of integrity is more important in the long run than short term cash loss. Apple certainly has enough stockpiled they can afford it.
Is breaking the law your definition of integrity?

Apple began implementing USB-C into their mobile products in 2018 with the iPad. So let’s not pretend the only reason they ever switched over was because of the EU’s constant moving goalpost mandates.
A smart manufacturer slowly doles out new features to keep numbers up. Long past are the days of radical changes to annual phone releases. At this point, you just drip feed must have features, even if it means playing the long game.
How is ignoring laws and getting in trouble with regulators worldwide "playing the long game"?

hemo memo

Gold Member
??
Speaking at the Journal’s Tech Live event, Greg Joswiak, Apple’s worldwide marketing chief said Apple will “obviously…have to comply” with the EU ruling adding “we’ve no choice.”

Top Bottom