• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has rejected Epic Games' subimission of their own Epic Games Store in IoS

It's better to let a trillion dollar company make those decisions right? Let them decide to drip feed you features and force planned obsolescence on you right? Throttling ring a bell? Having to upgrade your 1 yr old phone for AI capabilities?
Yes I’m fine with it, because if I don’t like their decision I have options in the market place. I believe companies are free to design whatever product they want. If I hate it then i am free to purchase whatever I want.

Ozriel

M$FT
So what if I wanted to buy a phone with a lightning connector or any other connector?

Standardization helps consumers. Simple and short.

What if a phone manufacturer has a better solution than usb c? Now they can’t do it because they are penalized. I’d rather let the consumers decide because I don’t trust governments to always make the right decisions and it stiffles innovation.

If ever a better standard appears and gains widespread appeal with consumers, then regulation would push that for universal adoption.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yes I’m fine with it, because if I don’t like their decision I have options in the market place. I believe companies are free to design whatever product they want. If I hate it then i am free to purchase whatever I want.
Spoken like a true corporate sheep. You know you're not going anywhere. No matter how much more anti consumer Apple becomes.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So what if I wanted to buy a phone with a lightning connector or any other connector? I can’t now because governments are forcing technological decisions. What if a phone manufacturer has a better solution than usb c? Now they can’t do it because they are penalized. I’d rather let the consumers decide because I don’t trust governments to always make the right decisions and it stiffles innovation.
False dillema, you can still buy an "iPhone" with a lightening connection. Go get an iPhone 11. Your assertion that the government is stopping Apple from building an iPhone with a lightening port or "any other connector" is also flawed, as the government is not banning any connection ports, they are just forcing compatibility. Apple can build an iPhone with both connectors, a headphone jack, and a stick of celery input, if they chose to do so. Again, you are presenting a false dillema.

How are new standard going to appear when governments are dictating that manufactures use usb c?
Because one doesn't exclude the other

Last edited:
I respect everyone’s opinions and it’s a good conversation to have. I want to move on and talk about things we agree on like games. However, I want to leave you with one more thought. What if future elected government leadership in the future does not align with what you think is right ? What if they decide they want to do something like make technology great again, and force companies to use horrible old technologies. Once you give government this kind of power, the good comes with the bad. I’d rather just have the choice myself.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I respect everyone’s opinions and it’s a good conversation to have. I want to move on and talk about things we agree on like games. However, I want to leave you with one more thought. What if future elected government leadership in the future does not align with what you think is right ? What if they decide they want to do something like make technology great again, and force companies to use horrible old technologies. Once you give government this kind of power, the good comes with the bad. I’d rather just have the choice myself.
Just as scary to me, what if we allow corporations to have that have unfettered power. We have some say to who represents us in government. Only shareholders have say in who represents the corporation. In saying that, they are both necessary evils in our modern world.

I'm not picking on you specifically, you just brought up some specific arguments that I thought were flawed, and bad arguments are good at convincing us of untruths. I hope my rebuttals help sharpen your arguments in the future.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It's better to let a trillion dollar company make those decisions right? Let them decide to drip feed you features and force planned obsolescence on you right? Throttling ring a bell? Having to upgrade your 1 yr old phone for AI capabilities?

Yes. If they do that, I’ll take my money elsewhere. Would be a huge opportunity for competitors.

This might be old already but it was approved:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If ever a better standard appears and gains widespread appeal with consumers, then regulation would push that for universal adoption.

Nope, the market wouldn’t be able to test it by releasing the new alternative on devices, except if your company has the money to lobby for (or against) the new tech and pay off the politicians. Keep the bureaucrats far, far away from these things.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yes. If they do that, I’ll take my money elsewhere. Would be a huge opportunity for competitors.
Apple has already done that and isn't Apple always hyping up how powerful their chips are? Now suddenly anything less than an iPhone 15 pro can't handle AI? 🤣 Enjoy your phones obsolescence if you have anything less than a 15 pro

Last edited:

simpatico

I don't think people really think about the government forcing things like this to be allowed actually is. Imagine if you invented a widget, it got really popular, and eventually you're being legally forced to allow someone else to come and change the nature of your widget and profit on it. There's just nothing you can do but allow it. Likely you'll have to provide material support for the integration of these changes.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Holy fucking shit I've read bad takes. But this one is the worst of them all. In this case a Multi-Trillion dollar company. Be damned that you're getting drip fed features Android had 8 years ago where the stupidest will pay for it. And also damn the EU for mandating things that are consumer friendly by changing a port that everyone already had. Those greedy bastards made you buy a wire made in a Mongolian basket weaving sweatshop. We should send you to Mars for your entitlements, please leave Earth.

QtsBul3.jpeg
I have a few different apple and android phones for development purposes and android has been shit since the galaxy s2.

funny-animals-funny-cat.gif

Barakov

Cut to five minutes later the EUC was notified Apple actually un-rejected the store and approved it. So, I guess that the bravery ended there.

Corporate bootlicking in this case keeps boldening a company who, thanks to their own hubris, will likely lead to regulations making the product worse. Great job loving the company so much you would like it to get worse (the corporate bootlicking, paid congress people refusing to pass any law that could hold Apple or MS accountable has a limit too, just further out than other countries where Apple tries to pay $0 taxes in).
To be fair, I was just shitposting. Still, point taken regardless.

Three

Remind me when last MS or Sony went on stage and argued that your Xbox or PlayStation could replace your PC.
Very specific request of a stage but it's almost like MS were trying to create a universal windows program store on xbox a decade ago until there was real pushback on UWP on windows.

Deerock71

Apple shits on Epic Games from a great height. I'm not saying it's deserved, or even choosing sides, but Epic Games isn't worth a trillion dollars.

Fahdis

iPhone users to Android fan boys.

Think Mad Men GIF

vs retaliate GIF

I have a few different apple and android phones for development purposes and android has been shit since the galaxy s2.

I don't need to come at you. Apple has great support and toolkits for Devs. Android has the features Apple can only dream about though. You're a dev, I have a Dev friend and he can't stand Android. I'm a consumer, the open infrastructure UX that I can customize for me is so much more refined in every facet.

Ozriel

M$FT
Very specific request of a stage but it's almost like MS were trying to create a universal windows program store on xbox a decade ago until there was real pushback on UWP on windows.

Or you could just read the link you shared:

To quote Guggenheimer: "Terry Myerson [EVP of Operating Systems] showed Xbox because technically you can do it." Indeed, Myerson's presentation today was mainly about developing apps for PCs, tablets and phones. So it's there where you should expect to see that universal app selection.

So they never claimed they’d be bringing most Windows apps to the console, never promised Office on console, and it was seemingly about how devs could take advantage to make cross platform apps for console. Stuff like Netflix etc.

Has MS or Sony ever touted their consoles as general purpose computing devices?

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't think people really think about the government forcing things like this to be allowed actually is. Imagine if you invented a widget, it got really popular, and eventually you're being legally forced to allow someone else to come and change the nature of your widget and profit on it. There's just nothing you can do but allow it. Likely you'll have to provide material support for the integration of these changes.

This is a really, really poor analogy.

We’re talking about a hardware platform here, running an OS touted by the manufacturer as a computing platform to rival traditional computers.

Synless

Love seeing android users who never plan to buy an iPhone, pretend that they're advocating for iPhone users.

You know what I have never once witnessed is a iPhone user complaining that they don't have an Epic game store on their phone.
Nor do I see iPhone users en masse complaining about their walled garden. The reason iPhone wins the overwhelming majority of phone reviews is because it’s just a better fucking phone.

ScHlAuChi

I believe companies are free to design whatever product they want. If I hate it then i am free to purchase whatever I want.
So by your logic, Boeing should be free to design cheap crappy airplanes because you always have the choice to not fly? ;)
What if a phone manufacturer has a better solution than usb c? Now they can’t do it because they are penalized. I’d rather let the consumers decide because I don’t trust governments to always make the right decisions and it stiffles innovation.
So what exactly stopped Apple from innovating and making Lighting a better solution than USB3 in the last decade?
Why is Lightning worse in every single aspect - it has slower data transfers, no fast charging, is more expensive and propitary!
So where is that amazing new Apple tech that the EU stopped from happening?
The answer is pretty simple, its nonexistant, as Apple never had any interest for you to be able to easily transfer data off the phone!
You are supposed to use iCloud & Co, so you cant move away from their eco sytem! Max Vendor Lock-In!

Fahdis

Yeah? I bet you can’t back that claim up. If I search best overall phone. Which one do you think is going to popup? Take any mainstream site, take overall user reviews… Let’s go back year after year and see which one wins overall. You think it matches your opinion? I’d bet it doesn’t.

I bet its not iPhone.

Apple; Yesterday's features, with tomorrow's pricing.

The only thing Apple had done under Jobs was revolutionize the handset after Blackberry. After that its taking RISC onboard. In between and then its been crickets.

Literally a video circulating online of simple features on Samsung phones 10 years ago now featuring on Apple. You can't make this shit up 😂

PS: Sheeple use iPhone for Calls/Texts/Photos/Insta and Chrome/Safari. And thats the majority. Hpw will they complain about the walled garden if they haven't experienced something better? Or have no idea of it?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Damn guys. The best phone is going to most likely be split between iPhone 15 and Galaxy S24. I am only basing this on who will pay the most for review position. Stop trusting reviews and buy what you like to use. I switch back and forth but will most likely stay on iPhone. It does what I want and has facetime built in. Since my family uses facetime a lot, that is where I will be.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I bet its not iPhone.

Apple; Yesterday's features, with tomorrow's pricing.

The only thing Apple had done under Jobs was revolutionize the handset after Blackberry. After that its taking RISC onboard. In between and then its been crickets.

Literally a video circulating online of simple features on Samsung phones 10 years ago now featuring on Apple. You can't make this shit up 😂

PS: Sheeple use iPhone for Calls/Texts/Photos/Insta and Chrome/Safari. And thats the majority. Hpw will they complain about the walled garden if they haven't experienced something better? Or have no idea of it?
They can't even gimp photos/videos from Android anymore to make imessage seem superior at least they can change the color of their icons now and I read that they can place icons ANYWHERE now? Is this true!?

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Apple has already done that and isn't Apple always hyping up how powerful their chips are? Now suddenly anything less than an iPhone 15 pro can't handle AI? 🤣 Enjoy your phones obsolescence if you have anything less than a 15 pro

Yes, that’s how technology works. Your old devices don’t suddenly stop working, you just don’t get the new features. Odd that this is shocking to you.

simpatico

This is a really, really poor analogy.

We’re talking about a hardware platform here, running an OS touted by the manufacturer as a computing platform to rival traditional computers.
At what level of success does a product become semi public domain?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yes, that’s how technology works. Your old devices don’t suddenly stop working, you just don’t get the new features. Odd that this is shocking to you.
It's called a software update. Offload that shit to the cloud. Aren't you guys always talking about how apple "supports" their devices. A phone that isn't even one year old phone shouldn't be able to have a new feature and your defending this? It's not odd to anyone thats not a corporate cocksucker. You have Stockholm syndrome.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The people in here that are willing to bend the knee, to the walled garden of Apple, blows my mind. I don't particularly like Epic either, but I'll never bet against competition. If Apple is fighting this, rest assured it would benefit their customers, while stealing some coin from their trillion dollar coffers.

Apple have used monopolistic practices (as well as great products) to carve out a majority share of the mobile market in 1st world countries. They purposefully don't play nice with other platforms by ignoring standards (even when they are superior) to force their customers to submit to their proprietary solutions, and by breaking features so that they are degraded when used cross platform.

This isn't coming from an Apple hater, I have an Airbook, iPad, and Apple tv, but just like with politics, I refuse to be manipulated by tribalism to "vote" against my best interest.
The issue is that some of the EI demands are going to affect overall security of the platform, especially the chat visibility push they are trying to pass.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The issue is that some of the EI demands are going to affect overall security of the platform, especially the chat visibility push they are trying to pass.
Yeah, I'm specifically referring to the opening of the store. I have mixed feelings regarding some of the other changes.

Three

Or you could just read the link you shared:

So they never claimed they’d be bringing most Windows apps to the console, never promised Office on console, and it was seemingly about how devs could take advantage to make cross platform apps for console. Stuff like Netflix etc.

Has MS or Sony ever touted their consoles as general purpose computing devices?
I don't understand why you always try to suggest I haven't read the article. They don't need to claim to be bringing most Windows programs to xbox because they knew it would get little use for that purpose. Most windows programs aren't even on mobile either, doesn't make it any less of a general computing device.

The fact is though there was a point where Sony tried to sell the PS3 as a computing device with linux and browsers and MS tried to make the Xbox one an all in one device with universal windows program support. That includes browsers, Skype, even MailOnX. The reason they didn't port all programs is because the consumer didn't want to sit in front of a TV using office and they knew that. They actually still can with the Edge app but nobody wants to.
I can sit down and write a UWP to get an office like app on the MS store and compatible with xbox one, not sure why I would want to because my customer base would probably be literally 12 people but I can, most wouldn't want to use it.
Just as nobody wants to use a phone to model in Solidworks, 3DSMax or whatever. Do Apple need to make a claim that they're bringing those macOS/Windows programs too?

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It's called a software update. Offload that shit to the cloud. Aren't you guys always talking about how apple "supports" their devices. A phone that isn't even one year old phone shouldn't be able to have a new feature and your defending this? It's not odd to anyone thats not a corporate cocksucker. You have Stockholm syndrome.

Yes, I don’t even have an iPhone. That’s their gimmick: it’s secure because it’s not fully in the cloud. Again, new products get new features. Maybe you get upset when your 1997 Honda Accord doesn’t magically get a touchscreen when the new ones do, but it doesn’t mean your a rational thinker.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yes, I don’t even have an iPhone. That’s their gimmick: it’s secure because it’s not fully in the cloud. Again, new products get new features. Maybe you get upset when your 1997 Honda Accord doesn’t magically get a touchscreen when the new ones do, but it doesn’t mean your a rational thinker.
A touchscreen is not a software upgrade. Want to try a better comparison?

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah? I bet you can’t back that claim up. If I search best overall phone. Which one do you think is going to popup? Take any mainstream site, take overall user reviews… Let’s go back year after year and see which one wins overall. You think it matches your opinion? I’d bet it doesn’t.

Quick google search shows me that most "mainstream" sites do not proclaim one phone to be better than any other because that is really loaded question to try to answer. So they tend to stick to "best iPhone" or "best Android" and then throw out other categories like "best cheap phone", "best camera phone", etc. Fact of the matter is "best" phone is always going to be dependent on personal preference for Android or iPhone. For people who prefer iPhone, the "best" phone is simply the latest model. For Android, it is a bit more complicated as there are a hell of a lot of choices. Regardless, this idea that the world has universally proclaimed iPhone the best year after year really isn't true.

Synless

Quick google search shows me that most "mainstream" sites do not proclaim one phone to be better than any other because that is really loaded question to try to answer. So they tend to stick to "best iPhone" or "best Android" and then throw out other categories like "best cheap phone", "best camera phone", etc. Fact of the matter is "best" phone is always going to be dependent on personal preference for Android or iPhone. For people who prefer iPhone, the "best" phone is simply the latest model. For Android, it is a bit more complicated as there are a hell of a lot of choices. Regardless, this idea that the world has universally proclaimed iPhone the best year after year really isn't true.

First, I never said the world. I’m talking US only as I live here, but I guess it’s either the best or it isn’t so sure. But if you dig a little deeper iPhone wins overall in most years. Samsung has won in several times as well.

My point is, iPhone is always at the top or second place out of hundreds of different phones so it can’t be a shit phone as some of you so badly want it to be.

Last edited:

Quixz

At this point is just feels like Apple is delaying the inevitable and you cant blame them cause appstore generate free money.

Topher

Gold Member
First, I never said the world. I’m talking US only as I live here, but I guess it’s either the best or it isn’t so sure. But if you dig a little deeper iPhone wins overall in most years. Samsung has won in several times as well.

My point is, iPhone is always at the top or second place out of hundreds of different phones so it can’t be a shit phone as some of you so badly want it to be.

lol....I never said the iPhone was shit, now did I? iPhone is a great phone. None of these sites are ranking phones according to the region so living in the US is irrelevant. There simply is no consensus on "best" phone. I don't need to dig deeper when I've already provided examples of the point I'm making.

Synless

lol....I never said the iPhone was shit, now did I? iPhone is a great phone. None of these sites are ranking phones according to the region so living in the US is irrelevant. There simply is no consensus on "best" phone. I don't need to dig deeper when I've already provided examples of the point I'm making.
The person I responded to that you quoted me from did. That is who I am referencing and as your trying to prove me wrong, I am looping you in.

If I summarize all overall rankings in chatgtp or look, I can see overall iPhone wins most times overall. Samsung is the only other brand that has beaten iPhone in four different years including last year.

This new split shit is obnoxious these websites are doing now and they need to not be cowards and call out the main winner.

Topher

Gold Member
The person I responded to that you quoted me from did. That is who I am referencing and as your trying to prove me wrong, I am looping you in.

If I summarize all overall rankings in chatgtp or look, I can see overall iPhone wins most times overall. Samsung is the only other brand that has beaten iPhone in four different years including last year.

This new split shit is obnoxious these websites are doing now and they need to not be cowards and call out the main winner.

lol....ok, let's do that. Here's the response from ChatGPT

Here's a retrospective look at some of the best smartphones year by year since 2007, considering their technological advancements, popularity, and impact on the industry:

1. **2007:** **Apple iPhone (original)** - Revolutionized the smartphone industry with its touchscreen interface, App Store, and sleek design.

2. **2008:** **Apple iPhone 3G** - Introduced 3G connectivity and the App Store ecosystem, making apps more accessible to users worldwide.

3. **2009:** **Palm Pre** - Known for its innovative webOS operating system and sliding keyboard, although it faced tough competition from the iPhone.

4. **2010:** **Apple iPhone 4** - Notable for its Retina Display, improved camera, and introduction of FaceTime video calling.

5. **2011:** **Samsung Galaxy S II** - Praised for its large Super AMOLED Plus display, slim design, and powerful performance.

6. **2012:** **Samsung Galaxy S III** - Featured a larger HD display, improved camera, and innovative software features like Smart Stay and S Voice.

7. **2013:** **Apple iPhone 5s** - Introduced Touch ID fingerprint sensor, 64-bit architecture, and improved camera with dual-LED flash.

8. **2014:** **Apple iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus** - Marked Apple's entry into larger screen sizes, with notable improvements in design and performance.

9. **2015:** **Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge** - Introduced a sleek glass and metal design, Quad HD Super AMOLED display, and improved camera.

10. **2016:** **Google Pixel / Pixel XL** - Known for its excellent camera performance, pure Android experience, and Google Assistant integration.

11. **2017:** **Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+** - Notable for its Infinity Display, powerful performance, and introduction of Bixby virtual assistant.

12. **2018:** **Apple iPhone XS / XS Max** - Featured a powerful A12 Bionic chip, improved dual-camera system, and large OLED displays.

13. **2019:** **OnePlus 7 Pro** - Praised for its 90Hz Fluid AMOLED display, triple camera setup, and flagship-level performance at a competitive price.

14. **2020:** **iPhone 12 Pro / iPhone 12 Pro Max** - Introduced 5G connectivity, LiDAR Scanner for AR, Ceramic Shield for durability, and improved cameras.

15. **2021:** **Google Pixel 6 Pro** - Known for its Tensor SoC, advanced camera capabilities, and the latest version of pure Android with Material You design.

16. **2022:** **Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra** - Notable for its advanced camera system with a 108MP main sensor, 10x optical zoom, and powerful performance.

These selections highlight the advancements and innovations in smartphones over the years, with each year's "best" smartphone often representing significant strides in technology, design, and user experience.

So iPhone "wins" 7 times out of the last 16 years. Less than half. So no, iPhone doesn't "wins most times overall". Funny though, even ChatGPT puts "best" in quotes as this is still subjective.

Synless

lol....ok, let's do that. Here's the response from ChatGPT

So iPhone "wins" 7 times out of the last 16 years. Less than half. So no, iPhone doesn't "wins most times overall". Funny though, even ChatGPT puts "best" in quotes as this is still subjective.
I concede then. When I looked it up, results varied but it depends on the question being asked.

Last edited:
At this point is just feels like Apple is delaying the inevitable and you cant blame them cause appstore generate free money.
This is my point of view as well. iOS and Android must essentially become open platforms. Smart devices have become too ubiquitous to be allowed to remain as walled gardens. At this point, it'd be like arguing that Windows 11 and Sequoia would be perfectly fine as similarly styled closed platforms. Which, of course, would not be okay. For many people, things like phones, tablets, and chromebooks have replaced their computer and, as such, those devices need to become as open as what they have supplanted.

It's all well and good that the success of smart devices has resulted in such a profound saturation, but that saturation should put a greater burden on the makers of these devices to offer a product that is less monopolistic in regards to what it offers the end-user. And as much as I'd like to claim that the "free market" will take care of this, it really won't. The two big players offer similarly restrictive platforms.

kikkis

This is my point of view as well. iOS and Android must essentially become open platforms. Smart devices have become too ubiquitous to be allowed to remain as walled gardens. At this point, it'd be like arguing that Windows 11 and Sequoia would be perfectly fine as similarly styled closed platforms. Which, of course, would not be okay. For many people, things like phones, tablets, and chromebooks have replaced their computer and, as such, those devices need to become as open as what they have supplanted.

It's all well and good that the success of smart devices has resulted in such a profound saturation, but that saturation should put a greater burden on the makers of these devices to offer a product that is less monopolistic in regards to what it offers the end-user. And as much as I'd like to claim that the "free market" will take care of this, it really won't. The two big players offer similarly restrictive platforms.
How is google or any new os vendor supposed to fund os development without app store fee? Google won because unlike Microsoft it didnt charge per device fee. Should steam be dissolved since it offers software too and dev costs for steam is just a fucking download manager?

SomeGit

How is google or any new os vendor supposed to fund os development without app store fee? Google won because unlike Microsoft it didnt charge per device fee. Should steam be dissolved since it offers software too and dev costs for steam is just a fucking download manager?
This is a terrible argument, you can today ship a device with Android or even fork it without any consent or involment from Google or even include Google Play and you have big players on that front like Amazon and Huawei where no money what so ever goes to Google, per device or even for app store fees. By your logic what is already happening today, shouldn't happen.

Google and Apple can keep their app store fee, but otherwise they shouldn't be able to control what the users do outside their turf.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
How is google or any new os vendor supposed to fund os development without app store fee?

this cannot be a serious post. Where have you seen anyone call for google not to have an app store in Android?

Google pays Apple billions of dollars just to keep Google Search as the default in iOS Safari, and you're here claiming they'd have no other avenue to make money off Android?
Search? Youtube? Those print money too.

Top Bottom