• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

I actually like the small amount of bulk my case adds, because I never felt like I had a good grip on the phone without it. Mine's one of the smaller Otterboxes as well.

mrkgoo

If you folks ever end up in the situation where you have small children constantly grabbing your devices and playing with them you'll feel differently. :)
I do, but I don't use a case.

Maybe famous last words...

I generally don't let my daughter have free reign with my phone though.

Finally happened, 5 years of owning iphones and finally dropped one in water. :(

Fell in the toilet last night, turned it off right away and put into rice. 2 hours later I pulled it out turned it on and it worked kinda ok, screen flickered a bit and middel of touch screen didnt work, so turned it back off. Back to the rice the rest of the night.

Now stupid thing wont even power on. Thinking trying it after 2 hours was my downfall.

Deku Tree

Finally happened, 5 years of owning iphones and finally dropped one in water. :(

Fell in the toilet last night, turned it off right away and put into rice. 2 hours later I pulled it out turned it on and it worked kinda ok, screen flickered a bit and middel of touch screen didnt work, so turned it back off. Back to the rice the rest of the night.

Now stupid thing wont even power on. Thinking trying it after 2 hours was my downfall.

Or maybe the water just killed it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would be awesome if Apple put out a water-proof/resistant iPhone. I don't expect they will, since having plugs and such doesn't really fit with their aesthetic.

mrkgoo

Or maybe the water just killed it.
Well I've heard that turning it on too early after trying to rescue it can be a killer. Like seriously don't let any electricity through it until it's super dry. Like a week.

That said, if I had a toilet phone, I'm not sure if want it back even if it worked....

My wife left an iPod nano 5th gen (the one withy the camera) through a wash cycle in our washing machine. Left it to dry for a week in aplastic bag with a desiccant bag thing. Works like a charm.

But yeah I beat even the initial dunk into water doesn't do wonders for a 4" touch screen.

Well I've heard that turning it on too early after trying to rescue it can be a killer. Like seriously don't let any electricity through it until it's super dry. Like a week.

That said, if I had a toilet phone, I'm not sure if want it back even if it worked....

My wife left an iPod nano 5th gen (the one withy the camera) through a wash cycle in our washing machine. Left it to dry for a week in aplastic bag with a desiccant bag thing. Works like a charm.

But yeah I beat even the initial dunk into water doesn't do wonders for a 4" touch screen.

Luckily the toilet was empty, was changing a lightbulb and knocked it with my arm.

Going to take the phone apart tonight and see if i can air it out better.

mrkgoo

Luckily the toilet was empty, was changing a lightbulb and knocked it with my arm.

Going to take the phone apart tonight and see if i can air it out better.

I would offer caution for undoing an iPhone unless you really know what you're doing.

A friend had a 3GS with a broken audio jack and had a repairer replace the part. During reassembly the mute switch was stuffed up and the casing didn't fit back properly, so he complained for the repairer to fix that. Came back later, the phone is in pieces and doesn't work at all any more.

Repairer has no idea.

And that's a 3GS. I imagine a 5S is leagues more complex internally, with more lamination, glue and less screws.

I would offer caution for undoing an iPhone unless you really know what you're doing.

A friend had a 3GS with a broken audio jack and had a repairer replace the part. During reassembly the mute switch was stuffed up and the casing didn't fit back properly, so he complained for the repairer to fix that. Came back later, the phone is in pieces and doesn't work at all any more.

Repairer has no idea.

And that's a 3GS. I imagine a 5S is leagues more complex internally, with more lamination, glue and less screws.

You would be surprised.

The 5S and 5S are very modular compared to previous phones. The thing most people fuck up is the basic rule #1 and that's to be grounded. Most people end up shorting their fuckin devices.

The 3GS was easy for batteries and displays. The 4S not much of anything, the 5/5S minus the display because of touch ID are way easier to fix things on.

mrkgoo

You would be surprised.

The 5S and 5S are very modular compared to previous phones. The thing most people fuck up is the basic rule #1 and that's to be grounded. Most people end up shorting their fuckin devices.

The 3GS was easy for batteries and displays. The 4S not much of anything, the 5/5S minus the display because of touch ID are way easier to fix things on.

Entirely possible. I know user repairability goes up and down depending on the model, but hair a word of caution nevertheless.

well found it to be more sturdy because the glass doesn't reach the edges of hte phone.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade from my 4 to a 5S. All of my friends have jumped ship for one reason or another, and i'm looking at other options, but they don't really seem as solid, plus I don't want a huge phone really. That said, i'm getting a bit tired of the apple infrastructure, and I feel like they're losing their grip on what makes them great. Still don't think there's a better phone out there, though.

jts

...hate me...
I started riding cycling recently, I'm wondering if there is a go-to bike mount for the iPhone, or just for phones in general (especially because I want to use mine inside the Apple Case so an iPhone 5/5s fitted mount wouldn't work).

jts

...hate me...
image.jpg

I do use a forearm Nike sleeve for running (although 3.5" sized but I can manage), but that's not really what I'm looking for. With a bike mount, the iPhone could double as a GPS or camera to film some rides.

mrkgoo

I only have an iPhone 5, but every now and again i just look at in my hand - it's so incredibly well-designed.

It's a black slate one and it just looks and feels so great.

If the iPhone 6 is more like the iPads, I think it will be a step down.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just posted asking about a Twitter app that would just allow push for specific people. So I'm curious about this too, but I don't want a bullshit "favorite five". I want to be able to have however many users pushed. Not just a limit of five.

I mean I follow thousands of people. I'd like to get notifications from a bunch of them if possible. (Even if I end up turning off sound when it gets annoying. Also, hopefully it could have a limit and maybe a daily digest for people who tweet a lot.)

Either way, if I ended up staying with the official app, I'd gladly accept this feature.

I just posted asking about a Twitter app that would just allow push for specific people. So I'm curious about this too, but I don't want a bullshit "favorite five". I want to be able to have however many users pushed. Not just a limit of five.

I mean I follow thousands of people. I'd like to get notifications from a bunch of them if possible. (Even if I end up turning off sound when it gets annoying. Also, hopefully it could have a limit and maybe a daily digest for people who tweet a lot.)

Either way, if I ended up staying with the official app, I'd gladly accept this feature.

Doesn't the official app allow you to receive push notifications for individual users you specify in advance? It did at one time, buried in settings somewhere. I think it's a per-user thing called Mobile Notifications. There's a chance you may (ironically) have to set it on the website though. Sorry if my memory is kinda foggy on this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't the official app allow you to receive push notifications for individual users you specify in advance? It did at one time, buried in settings somewhere. I think it's a per-user thing called Mobile Notifications. There's a chance you may (ironically) have to set it on the website though. Sorry if my memory is kinda foggy on this.
Sorry, that's just the text message feature.

Not sure this is the right thread, but I have a 4S from a friend that I need to unlock. How can I do that? I went to apple they said I have to go through Bell (the company my friend was with) and that it costs 80$ but I don't want to ask my friend to go through that hassle. Anyway to do it yourself or get a company to do it? (Canada)

I'm eligible for an upgrade 1 year into my 2 yr contract but would prob have to change to a more expensive tariff. I wouldn't mind the 6 plus but I dunno about going running with it. Seems a bit cumbersome. Gonna wait for one of my buddies to get it and see if he made a huge mistake or not! I wonder is the camera much better than the 5s? I went from a 4 to a 5s. Huge difference. I'm happy with my phone now at the moment. Dunno if there's much point upgrading!

There's nothing that really grabs me, nothing that I don't think I'll be unable to go a year without so I'm passing.

I like being on the 'S' upgrade path anyway, they've all been great so far.

Squalor

I stick to the even-year upgrades.

They're the best and most significant upgrades. The odd-year upgrades aren't ever special.

I'll likely go with the 4.7" phone because the 5.5" seems so large even though it's very thin.

gimmmick

Any 5s users still keeping strong with their current phone? I'm on the fence of upgrading to the 6s. The phone hasn't slowed down for me with ios9, and it still does everything I need it to do (txt/calls/internet/socialmedia/fantasyfootball).

I'm eager to upgrade to a 6S plus just because I want the bigger screen and more space (16 is not enough anymore) but without those two things I'd probably stick with my 5S.

5S user here. I haven't noticed any slowdown with my phone (not a fan of battery life and Sprint network still sucks). I'm thinking about upgrading to the 6S but at the same time I kinda want to go back to Android.

iOS9 is very nice on my 5S.
No plan to upgrade anytime soon.

But anyone else bothered by the fact that the letters on the keyboards don't look centred?

Top Bottom