• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Jubern

I finally bought a 5s the other day, after 3 years and half using my trusty 4. What a change it makes ahah. I'm very, very happy with it.
Since I changed carriers and a bunch of things, I had to restore the settings to default after restoring my backup, which means I'm doing all of this all over again (turning system services localization off and such).

Would you give have any advice for useful settings and such? What to do to save battery and such?

Thanks.

Deku Tree

I finally bought a 5s the other day, after 3 years and half using my trusty 4. What a change it makes ahah. I'm very, very happy with it.
Since I changed carriers and a bunch of things, I had to restore the settings to default after restoring my backup, which means I'm doing all of this all over again (turning system services localization off and such).

Would you give have any advice for useful settings and such? What to do to save battery and such?

Thanks.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/

Husker86

Touch ID is so shitty. I re-register my print multiple times and it fails so often that I've just gone back to using my PIN code
A lot of people have said this, but I've never had an issue. Do you put your finger at multiple angles during the same registration process? I'm not talking about when it tells you to after the first round, I did it every time I put my thumb/index finger down; different orientations, side of finger, etc. I would give it a success rate of over 95% for me. Moisture seems to be the only thing that makes it fail for me.

Shearie

Wrote this in December about the fingerprint sensor and it still holds true:

I got my 5s the day it came out and the fingerprint sensor still works well for me. Every once in awhile it will get a bad read or not read at all but it's not a big deal since all I need to do is lift my finger up and put it back on the sensor again and it works. It reads right the first try most of the time anyway.

Deku Tree

You gotta keep your fingers clean people. If your finger is a little bit dirty then no finger print sensor is going to read it correctly.

None of the pics I take, all the images on Safari and Instagram. It just started doing this last week; I even tried resetting my network settings and that didn't help either.

Zee-Row

Banned
I got an iphone 5s a few days ago , its my first ever iphone. I've been with Android since the beginning but I have to ask. Does the OS have any kind of upload bar when you upload video to facebook to see how long you have left?

I got an iphone 5s a few days ago , its my first ever iphone. I've been with Android since the beginning but I have to ask. Does the OS have any kind of upload bar when you upload video to facebook to see how long you have left?

If you upload the video or photo from the Facebook app, there's usually a progress bar in the app.

chrono01

I was going to wait until the iPhone 6 to upgrade, but my current 3GS is really starting to show its age, and there's no telling how many bugs/issues there will be with the initial release of iPhone 6. I figured, since the 5S was getting such great reviews, that I would opt for that one instead. It should [hopefully] last me until the iPhone 6S [or later revisions], especially considering that I don't upgrade my phone too often.

Either way, I look forward to it. I already have a case, so now I just need to wait for it to arrive [which it should, in the next day or two].

Deku Tree

I was going to wait until the iPhone 6 to upgrade, but my current 3GS is really starting to show its age, and there's no telling how many bugs/issues there will be with the initial release of iPhone 6. I figured, since the 5S was getting such great reviews, that I would opt for that one instead. It should [hopefully] last me until the iPhone 6S [or later revisions], especially considering that I don't upgrade my phone too often.

Either way, I look forward to it. I already have a case, so now I just need to wait for it to arrive [which it should, in the next day or two].

Congrats. Yup the 5S is a great phone that should last a good long while.

So I just dropped my 5 in a hot cup of tea on accident. Only the top half of the phone went in, but the screen began flickering, scanlines ran all over in different colors, and the speaker started popping. After a few seconds, everything went dark. It's in a bag of rice now, but I'm very certain it died right in front of my eyes, no?

Anybody know replacement costs? sigh

Lima

So I just dropped my 5 in a hot cup of tea on accident. Only the top half of the phone went in, but the screen began flickering, scanlines ran all over in different colors, and the speaker started popping. After a few seconds, everything went dark. It's in a bag of rice now, but I'm very certain it died right in front of my eyes, no?

50 if you have Apple Care+.

269 without.

Deku Tree

Depending upon your carrier you might already be eligible for a free upgrade to a new phone. Check.

Erebus

I guess this is the right thread to ask.

Any good online stores that sell solid replacement batteries for iPhone 4S and ship to Europe?

Deku Tree

I guess this is the right thread to ask.

Any good online stores that sell solid replacement batteries for iPhone 4S and ship to Europe?

Not sure how to answer your original question. But I would just let Apple do that myself. At least in the US you can take your phone into an Apple store and get a replacement battery. If your iPhone does not show visible damage they sometimes will just swap you out for another phone with a new battery in it (at least they used to do that). Not 100% sure about Europe.

Erebus

Not sure how to answer your original question. But I would just let Apple do that myself. At least in the US you can take your phone into an Apple store and get a replacement battery. If your iPhone does not show visible damage they sometimes will just swap you out for another phone with a new battery in it (at least they used to do that). Not 100% sure about Europe.
The Apple stores are not an option where I live though. :(

I am looking to get an iPhone. It'll be my first smartphone. Reason I'm going with iPhone is because I already have an ipad 4 and my wife and I use imessage all the time.

Anyway, is the 5c worth getting? I don't need anything super powerful. Mostly I'll be using it to message my wife, make a call once in a while, use a geocaching app, and take some pictures and videos. I won't be playing games on it other than like solitare or something.

Also is 16gb enough,or should I spring for the 32?

I guess the best question would be 32gb 5c, or 16gb 5s?

Also I'll be going with verizon,anything I should worry about?

Oh, I'll also be using it for podcasts.

I assume there's no way to do imessage on android?

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 last summer but I have a Macbook Air and I've just bought an iPad Air, so I thought I might as well complete my collection and get an iPhone at some point (plus, iTunes is a decent way to keep all your shit organized).

However, I love my Samsung's 5-inch screen and I wouldn't go any smaller. The iPhone 5s looks like a cool phone but it's tiny. When will Apple make bigger iPhones? It's the only thing* preventing me from switching to Apple.

*well, the price is a problem, indeed, and the absence of Swiftkey-like keyboads is a pain in the arse

Deku Tree

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 last summer but I have a Macbook Air and I've just bought an iPad Air, so I thought I might as well complete my collection and get an iPhone at some point (plus, iTunes is a decent way to keep all your shit organized).

However, I love my Samsung's 5-inch screen and I wouldn't go any smaller. The iPhone 5s looks like a cool phone but it's tiny. When will Apple make bigger iPhones? It's the only thing* preventing me from switching to Apple.

*well, the price is a problem, indeed, and the absence of Swiftkey-like keyboads is a pain in the arse

Rumor is that the iPhone 6 will have a larger screen and possibly come in a few sizes. If history is any guide it will come out in September 2014 or around then...

I personally like the iPhone 5s Screen size. It fits nicely in my pocket and isn't too bulky.

mrkgoo

I am looking to get an iPhone. It'll be my first smartphone. Reason I'm going with iPhone is because I already have an ipad 4 and my wife and I use imessage all the time.

Anyway, is the 5c worth getting? I don't need anything super powerful. Mostly I'll be using it to message my wife, make a call once in a while, use a geocaching app, and take some pictures and videos. I won't be playing games on it other than like solitare or something.

I think the 5c vs 5s depends on how much you care over things like the design, touch ID, and the new camera features.

Personally, I like the 5c design, I don't care about touch ID because I don't really have fingerprints, but I DO like the camera features.

I think there was a third party unofficial imessage app, but it would be unwise to use it, because it probably sends your traffic and credentials through a third party server. Stick with apple for apple stuff.

I think the 5c vs 5s depends on how much you care over things like the design, touch ID, and the new camera features.

Personally, I like the 5c design, I don't care about touch ID because I don't really have fingerprints, but I DO like the camera features.

I think there was a third party unofficial imessage app, but it would be unwise to use it, because it probably sends your traffic and credentials through a third party server. Stick with apple for apple stuff.
Is the camera on the 5c decent? That's the only concern I would have. I actually prefer the look of the 5c from a design standpoint, plus it would mean I could get a green phone, heh.

Cr0wn0

Personally I would spend the $100 more and get a 5s. Better phone/experience everything I think . When you decide to upgrade it will be worth more. Camera is better also.

When I was researching the two, the differences between them seemed a lot broader than $100. By which I mean the savings wasn't that enticing. I went with 5s because I don't want to upgrade again for a reasonably long time. I guess I hope to get about 3 years out of it.

If you're not playing a bunch of huge games, you might could get by with less storage, but apps in general seem to be getting bigger and bigger and you're bound to hit the limit sometime over the next 2+ years, and I personally find storage management to be extremely annoying. You should probably get as much storage as you can comfortably afford.

All that said, a 5c with the lowest amount of storage would still feel extremely kickass, especially if you've never had a smartphone before.

Vyer

Is the camera on the 5c decent? That's the only concern I would have. I actually prefer the look of the 5c from a design standpoint, plus it would mean I could get a green phone, heh.

I would probably go with a 5c. You already like the design and color, and if you are planning on doing a lot of photos/video getting the extra space would be an advantage. The camera doesn't have a few bells and whistles (particularly video), but the quality of the photo I believe isn't much different. You'll have plenty of photo editing apps to play with anyhow. Just keep in mind there will be new model(s?) by the end of the year.

mrkgoo

Camera is decent.

Great in the right circumstances.

I mean the 5S camera has some real innovation in there, but it really depends if you geek out at that stuff or not.

It's a 64-bit processor so ONE say, 5C support will drop and leave only the 5S and above, but just could be SO far away that it might actually not be applicable.

Shearie

I really like the 5c EXCEPT it doesn't have a fingerprint sensor and I now can't live without it anymore. #gamechanger

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've decided I'm going to get the 5S instead of the 5C. I just don't know whether to get black or white. I'm getting an Apple leather case for it*. The red one because I like red and it's a nice red. (I also like the yellow and blue colors) I'm not sure whether black front or white front will look better with the red border.

Unless I get yellow. I might get the black one with yellow.

Or the blue one with white.

Ugh, I don't know which color combination to get!!!

I really liked the black case of the 5. My iPad mini has this color and it's a really nice metallic blue. I kind of miss it. So a case will make up for that.

I know someone's going to say "why get the Apple case? Just get a cheaper brand!" No. Shut up. I'm going official this time. I've had plenty of third party cases. They always end up as ass or look bad. Apple's at least look really nice so I don't mind spending the money. I'm mainly getting it for looks with protection as secondary.

Deku Tree

I've decided I'm going to get the 5S instead of the 5C. I just don't know whether to get black or white. I'm getting an Apple leather case for it*. The red one because I like red and it's a nice red. (I also like the yellow and blue colors) I'm not sure whether black front or white front will look better with the red border.

Unless I get yellow. I might get the black one with yellow.

Or the blue one with white.

Ugh, I don't know which color combination to get!!!

I really liked the black case of the 5. My iPad mini has this color and it's a really nice metallic blue. I kind of miss it. So a case will make up for that.

I know someone's going to say "why get the Apple case? Just get a cheaper brand!" No. Shut up. I'm going official this time. I've had plenty of third party cases. They always end up as ass or look bad. Apple's at least look really nice so I don't mind spending the money. I'm mainly getting it for looks with protection as secondary.

I like the white/silver iPhones personally. But I think it is inherently a personal choice.

As an aside the Apple cases are not the most protective cases. They are more of a stylistic cover.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like the white/silver iPhones personally. But I think it is inherently a personal choice.

As an aside the Apple cases are not the most protective cases. They are more of a stylistic cover.

Moreover Apple's cases often end up looking ass.
Well, I'll take that chance unless someone can point me to a case that won't look like ass that isn't made of brittle plastic that might possibly protect the phone and comes in bright red. Or another really nice color like the yellow and blue of Apple's leather cases.

I mean the iPhone is pretty sturdy as it is. I'm only getting a case for the looks. I haven't dropped my iPhone in ages. So breakage isn't a big fear for me really.

I want one that still offers easy access to the buttons and has enough clearance around the headphone jack.

Deku Tree

Well, I'll take that chance unless someone can point me to a case that won't look like ass that isn't made of brittle plastic that might possibly protect the phone and comes in bright red. Or another really nice color like the yellow and blue of Apple's leather cases.

I mean the iPhone is pretty sturdy as it is. I'm only getting a case for the looks. I haven't dropped my iPhone in ages. So breakage isn't a big fear for me really.

I want one that still offers easy access to the buttons and has enough clearance around the headphone jack.

This is the case that I use in translucent grey:

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-5/5S...7-new-iphone-5,default,pd.html?dwvar_color=S3

It satisfies all your requirements except that it comes in Violet not Red.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't want something that adds bulk. Otter Boxes are really hefty. I never drop my phone anyway so I only need a thin skin, preferably flexible like rubber. (I made the mistake of getting hard plastic twice. That shit cracks like crazy.) Even when I do drop it too, the phones are so sturdy that as long as it doesn't land flat on the screen without a protector it'll have nothing but scuffs.

Just color is all I need.

Shearie

I don't want something that adds bulk. Otter Boxes are really hefty. I never drop my phone anyway so I only need a thin skin, preferably flexible like rubber. (I made the mistake of getting hard plastic twice. That shit cracks like crazy.) Even when I do drop it too, the phones are so sturdy that as long as it doesn't land flat on the screen without a protector it'll have nothing but scuffs.

Just color is all I need.

Just go with the Apple one. I'm not a case using type of person but I've heard good things about the Apple leather case.

The phone feels so smooth and light in the hand and thin in the pocket that I wouldn't dare use a case of any kind. Why ruin the aesthetics of such a beautiful phone?

(Ok I know why, protection obviously, but luckily mine is fine and hasn't been dropped..... Yet!)

Deku Tree

If you folks ever end up in the situation where you have small children constantly grabbing your devices and playing with them you'll feel differently. :)

Top Bottom