• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Measley

I kind of want the Iphone 6+, but if I can get an Iphone 6 with 64g under $100, I may go that route. I've been rolling with a 4 for 2 years now, and I already have an Ipad.

I'm with Verizon.

Anyone know what these phones cost on contract in Canada?

I may trade in my 5S. I know Bell has a trade in plan. I may also try to trade in at Best Buy where I have a bunch of store credit. I don't have much experience trading in cell phones at Best Buy but it's worth a shot to get the 6+.

DoomGyver

I've never preordered a phone before, I'm on att and plan to switch to verizon. If I stop by the verizon store after work will the preorders already be sold out? Going for the 128gb 6

kneePat

FYI amazon is offering some matches on iPhone trade ins. Just locked in 232 on my iPhone 5 16gb

Really, if you have an iPhone 5 and particularly an iPhone 5s you may want to look into other options because you can get more money than the carrier promotions. If you have a 4 or a 4s, 200$ is a good deal.

Wait, do all preorders start at 3am EST? I called Verizon today and they said I can preorder at 12am EST.

I've ordered iphones from verizon online for the last 4 years and they've always been in line with everyone including Apple at 3 am EST. The homepage notes 12 Pacific right now too.

Guys, help me out here. I'm in Boston right now and I'm heading back to Canada around the 21st. Basically if I buy the phone here I pay much cheaper than the taxes I pay in Canada.

What's the best way to buy an iPhone tonight that actually works with a GSM network? Basically I need an unlocked phone or find a phone that can get unlocked right away.

Any suggestions?

Mononoke

Banned
Wait, do all preorders start at 3am EST? I called Verizon today and they said I can preorder at 12am EST.

Should be 3 AM Eastern / 2 AM Central / 12 PST.

I'm not sure about the carrier sites, but Sprint is sticking to 12 PST for everyone (for instance). I know apple is definitely 12 PST.

kneePat

Guys, help me out here. I'm in Boston right now and I'm heading back to Canada around the 21st. Basically if I buy the phone here I pay much cheaper than the taxes I pay in Canada.

What's the best way to buy an iPhone tonight that actually works with a GSM network? Basically I need an unlocked phone or find a phone that can get unlocked right away.

Any suggestions?

Apple website, T-Mobile version.

kneePat

So let me get this right. The T-Mobile version on Apple website is completely unlocked when I pay full price?

I'm guessing that's just out of the country and not within the United States, right?

Nope, it should be unlocked in both. Although you will not be able to use it on VZW or Sprint.

That 2GB RAM spec was just a fuck-up by that site, right? That would sway my purchase to 6+.

There is nothing to substantiate that it is 2GB.

giga

Unless we get some geekbench leaks, the amount of ram in the plus won't be known until Tuesday when reviews are out.

Pre-ordering the iPhone 6 Plus 16GB at RadioShack since I work there. Just debating which color.. Gold, Grey, or Silver... Decisions decision.

Edit: I was thinking about getting the 64GB but I still have 1GB left of space on my iPhone 5. :p

Cookie18

Does pre-ordering for in store pick up work the same as pre-ordering for delivery in that they'll freeze the necessary funds in your account or do you pay on pick up?

kaskade

I feel like us east coasters should get a few bonus points for preordering since we have to stay up until 3. I'm going to be pretty sad if I don't get one on launch day.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Fortunately I have a long time to decide. Either I get a Plus and replace my iPad mini, or I stick with my 5C and get a new iPad mini next month or so when they come out. If I did get the Plus, it won't be for a while. First Virgin needs to start offering them. I'll also need to wait for them to start showing up in the wild and stores to start selling them before I go and try playing with them.

Thing is I really just wanted it to simplify things. I don't need both a mini and a phone, but I like the mini to watch videos on if I never use it for browsing or gaming much. So a 6 Plus would replace that well enough. But if it's not going to fit into my daily usage well then my 5C will live another year and a new mini will find a home.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel like us east coasters should get a few bonus points for preordering since we have to stay up until 3. I'm going to be pretty sad if I don't get one on launch day.

I really don't know why they don't just to it Midnight Eastern/ 9 PM PST. I would love to pre-order at 9 pm vs midnight.

Sean

Banned
I was planning on getting the 6+ but then held a Note 3 in Best Buy today and it was freaking enormous, impossible for me to use one-handed. The reachability feature / one-handed mode is not a good compromise, seems like it'd be a total pain to constantly be activating that just to use the phone.

So I'm getting the regular 4.7" model with 64gb, just not sure what color yet. I kinda think it looks best in silver/white as it seems to hide the antenna lines the most, but space gray is also pretty nice.

ZeroAKA

There's no way I'm staying up until 3am to preorder the iPhone 6. Do you guys think I'll be fine if I preorder tomorrow evening?

Anyone currently in a 2 yr contract with AT&T considering going with NEXT? I've been reading a lot of comparisons and it seems like a decent deal considering if you have a Mobile share 10gb or higher plan your get a $25 discount off the monthly charge.

I am currently an AT&T Next customer (got a Note 3 last year on the Next program). While some people might knock off the monthly installment plans as a rip off, it is not if you like to change phones every year or just plan on buying the phone for regular price.

e.g. My Note 3 was $700 off contract (or full price). I took it via the Next program and pay $35 monthly for 20 months ( $35x20= $700). I paid taxes when I got my phone and Im paying installments for the next 20 months (8 months left). Lets say I was getting the phone full price, I just pay the $749 and no contract. I can move my phone to wherever I want, what Next does is that it extends the price of the phone for 20 months instead of a lump sum. So if you plan to stay with AT&T, Next is a great plan.

Now, lets say that I want the new iPhone 6+ (which Im planning to get). I just go the store, trade in my phone, pay the taxes on the iPhone and continue paying the new phone. If I were to get the new iPhone on contract, I would have to add $25 monthly to the total of my bill for the whole 24 months of the contract ($25 x 24 = $600 plus the $399 for the iPhone 6+ = $1000 plus taxes).

"B-b-b-b-but mingoguaya, you just lost $350 on the Note 3 for the year you used it!" said someone once. And to this I reply, lets say I bought the Note 3 for a lump $700 + taxes, now if I were to sell it at the current value I will not fetch a lot more than $350. So it would amount to the same if I got it through Next than if I get it off contract pricing.

For a tech geek that needs to have the latest phone and can spare a bit more on the monthly bill, Next is a godsend. Before I would've had to wait two whole years to get a new phone, now I can try new OS's (I havent had an iPhone since the 3GS) every year and if I dont like one, I can go back to the one I like and not have to wait the full two years.

HUELEN10

There's no way I'm staying up until 3am to preorder the iPhone 6. Do you guys think I'll be fine if I preorder tomorrow evening?
Absolutely not; get some coffee, caffeine pills, and your favorite cartoon episodes, it's gonna be a loooooooooooooong night!

You might be okay if you wake up early enough, around 6 am east coast time, but I wouldn't expect launch day stock to last much longer than that.

Top Bottom