• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Unfortunately my Applecare expired back in September when the two-year mark hit for the phone, so they'll likely charge me something along the lines of $100 for a new battery when I can replace it myself for $25 if Amazon is to be believe.

Replacement batteries are $79 unless the battery has become swollen in which case they'll replace the whole phone for free within three years from the date of purchase, from my understanding

Honestly, they'll do a diagnostic for free which will tell you if it's the physical battery or something else, and you can decide from there how to fix it. Just remember that if you do any service yourself and put any non-Apple parts in the phone that can be grounds for denied service down the road if anything else pops up

Vyer

Is Apple ever going to fix double notifications? Doesn't matter if it's a text or email, I will get a reminder notification for anything I didn't clear from my lock screen a couple minutes later. It is the biggest pet peeve about owning an iPhone.

I know for messages at least, under Settings-Notifications-Messages, you can set Repeat Alerts to a set number, or Never to turn it off.

FerranMG

I recently got a 6s+ coming from a 5s.
I'm loving it, but I find mobile gaf very annoying to use. When opening a thread in the last page, the little right-facing arrow is very difficult to press (much more in the 6s+ than it was in the 5s).
Does anybody feel the same?
Maybe the mobile gaf layout could be tweaked to better accomodate these new devices?

Samus4145

I know for messages at least, under Settings-Notifications-Messages, you can set Repeat Alerts to a set number, or Never to turn it off.

Sadly I already have that set to never repeat. This will still happen for messages, emails, all notifications, everything.

I didn't think I was the only one this could be happening to, as it was the first thing I noticed when switching to an iPhone.

Korosenai

My dad and I want to switch iPhone 6+'s with each other. We are both on ATT and have a 2 year contract. Would it be as simple as just switching sim cards with each other, or would i need to go to an att/apple store and let them do it?

My dad and I want to switch iPhone 6+'s with each other. We are both on ATT and have a 2 year contract. Would it be as simple as just switching sim cards with each other, or would i need to go to an att/apple store and let them do it?

Switch those SIM cards! But make sure you make a backup and wipe the phones first. Switching the data on the phone is up to you, switching the numbers is as easy as moving SIMs on AT&T

stormplyr

Is anybody having an issue with the vibration motor in their 6s plus? In the past week, when my phone vibrates, it's developed a almost metal tin sound while it vibrates. It sounds like something is loose within the phone. Before this started happening I couldn't hear the phone vibrate on my work desk from a couple feet away, and now I can hear it 10 feet away. It's quite annoying.

Is anybody having an issue with the vibration motor in their 6s plus? In the past week, when my phone vibrates, it's developed a almost metal tin sound while it vibrates. It sounds like something is loose within the phone. Before this started happening I couldn't hear the phone vibrate on my work desk from a couple feet away, and now I can hear it 10 feet away. It's quite annoying.

Does it happen every single time?

Gaaraz

Is there anyway to have an app drawer like on Android? I have an iPhone and 2 iPads and the home screens are an absolute mess... just pages of apps, and I don't like using folders either.

I'd love to have a homescreen with apps of my choosing, and then I can press a button (or swipe left or right) to view a list of all of my apps in alphabetical order.

emag

You'll need to jailbreak to have an app drawer in place of having all icons on homescreens.

You can always swipe down or right to see suggested apps and/or spotlight search, though.

Gaaraz

Thank you! I'm hoping to jailbreak as soon as it's possible to do so, and will grab the app drawer tweak then :)

Thanks for the tip on swiping left or down too, the Siri suggested apps can be useful but there are only 4 of them, also the search is good but I find it a bit fiddly over just clicking on an app from a list.

Hello, GAF. For some reason, I just can't get Siri to either set an alarm ("Set an alarm for [x]" and I get "Setting the alarm. Sorry there's something wrong") or even set a timer ("Set a timer for 60 seconds"; "Sorry, there's something wrong"). I think it's weird that Siri can't execute these two simple tasks. I've tried:

-Soft-resetting the phone
-Resetting network settings
-Backing up the phone and then restoring said backup
-Disabling/Reenabling Siri
-Disabling/Reenabling "Hey Siri"
-Disabling/Reenabling Dictation

Just wondering if there's something I haven't thought of or is just setting up my phone as new is my only option here. Using iOS 9.2. Thanks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hello, GAF. For some reason, I just can't get Siri to either set an alarm ("Set an alarm for [x]" and I get "Setting the alarm. Sorry there's something wrong") or even set a timer ("Set a timer for 60 seconds"; "Sorry, there's something wrong"). I think it's weird that Siri can't execute these two simple tasks. I've tried:

-Soft-resetting the phone
-Resetting network settings
-Backing up the phone and then restoring said backup
-Disabling/Reenabling Siri
-Disabling/Reenabling "Hey Siri"
-Disabling/Reenabling Dictation

Just wondering if there's something I haven't thought of or is just setting up my phone as new is my only option here. Using iOS 9.2. Thanks.
Yeah, I have that problem too. Have had it for months. Through numerous software updates, both beta and final. Someone here said my phone might be broken but that makes no sense. There's no reason Siri would stop being able to do local tasks. The internet is working because it dictated the voice into speech. The alarm is local. It knows what you asked. But it can't do it. And it makes no sense. It means some process that is supposed to be constantly running is not running. I did everything you tried above aside from restoring, and I assume there's no use in doing that either if it didn't work for you.

If you fix it, tell me how. I just gave up and have been doing things manually like a caveman. (No offense to any caveman GAF members)

I would try setting mine up as new but I refuse to lose my messages. So unless there's a way to backup only my messages database and only restore that I'd gladly do it. I personally think messages should be stored on iCloud like reminders and other stuff and synced across all devices rather than only downloaded and propagated to other devices resulting in broken message threads that don't include all parts. Just sync the whole database! If I delete a message, delete it from all devices! And if I add a new device, download the database to it too. Then I wouldn't care if I had to start fresh. Because literally everything else is stored on iCloud. I have too many messages to lose any of them.

Note: I'm on a 5C. And only replied because I have the same problem and that it's not an iPhone 6S specific problem.

Gaaraz

Hey guys,

What's the best way to get my videos from my phone and retain the slow motion settings please? If I just transfer them via USB they're in the high frame rate, but don't have the slow motion part.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

What's the best way to get my videos from my phone and retain the slow motion settings please? If I just transfer them via USB they're in the high frame rate, but don't have the slow motion part.

Thanks!

I opened one in iMovie and then saved it again, so I could upload it to Facebook with slowmo intact. I think that's what I did anyway.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I just fixed my months old problem of my phone not recording Activity data from my watch, or seeing itself as an input source in Health. I had to make an unencrypted backup in iTunes then restore from that.
It's a stretch but try doing that to fix your Siri problem.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I opened one in iMovie and then saved it again, so I could upload it to Facebook with slowmo intact. I think that's what I did anyway.

Semi-related, any way to properly export 1080p60 videos? iMovie can't seem to go higher than 720p30 for me.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So, I am contemplating getting a 6S+ or waiting for the rumored 6c ( or "e") or just outright wait for the 7. Currently on a 6 right now but my only wans right now for a phone are more ram and more storage which i can easily satisfy with the latest model. Any thoughts?

Of you really need the storage go for it. The Ram alone is enough to warrant an upgrade. Never again will your safari refresh. Also the 6S+ battery life is amazing, you'll never run low on battery during the day. I personally thing the regular 6/6S is way too small, so the 6C would be even worse for me. Also the 1080p screen blows the 6/6S screen out of the water. Plus it's 5.5" great for browsing the web, watching Youtube, and movies. I say go for it if you really need it.

So, I am contemplating getting a 6S+ or waiting for the rumored 6c ( or "e") or just outright wait for the 7. Currently on a 6 right now but my only wans right now for a phone are more ram and more storage which i can easily satisfy with the latest model. Any thoughts?
If it were me I'd probably just get the 6S+ because I wouldn't want to wait 8 months for what will probably be a marginal upgrade over the 6S performance wise. Also going off of rumors for the iPhone 6E it won't be a high-end phone and is targeted as a more affordable iPhone with budget hardware. Specs are saying same CPU that the iPhone 6 has and only 1GB of RAM, and no 3D Touch.

Fletcher

Quick question. I have an original iPhone6 I had on att, but paid off and had unlocked. Is it a universal unlock and can be used on any carrier or, since it was on att, only be on GSM carriers still?

Quick question. I have an original iPhone6 I had on att, but paid off and had unlocked. Is it a universal unlock and can be used on any carrier or, since it was on att, only be on GSM carriers still?

The SIM tray would be unlocked so any SIM can be popped in there, but depending on the exact model it may not have the physical bands to support every network in the world. I think the iPhone 6 series came in three different models (T-Mobile/AT&T, sold as GSM, Verizon which also had the right CDMA plus GSM compatibility, and the Sprint/SIM-free models which works on everything around the world)

By comparison the 6s series only has two different models (Band-30 sold as the AT&T and SIM-free phone, and non-Band 30 sold as the T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint phone). Here's hoping the iPhone 7 finally gets it down to just one model like the 4S only came in one model before LTE fucked everything up

gamma

Ugh, so I'm normally on the non-S cycle with the 6 but just got a 6S with a new contract. I planned on selling my 6 and using the 6S but now I'm not sure whether or not it's better to sell the 6S and keep using the 6 till the 7 come out.

#firstworldproblems

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I'm out in town, and want to contact my son back at home. He has an android phone and an iPad. In his contact info, he has his email address and phone number. The iPad is always on and connected to wifi. His phone may or may not be switched on.

If I use messaging, how does it work out whether to send a text message to his phone, or an iMessage to his iPad?

I like the idea of using landscape mode on the home screen but in reality I never use it (plus it annoys me how the dock blinks when you rotate it). Is there a way to just lock the orientation of the home screen and allow the rest of the apps to go into landscape?

gamma

So I'm out in town, and want to contact my son back at home. He has an android phone and an iPad. In his contact info, he has his email address and phone number. The iPad is always on and connected to wifi. His phone may or may not be switched on.

If I use messaging, how does it work out whether to send a text message to his phone, or an iMessage to his iPad?

If he doesn't have an iPhone, iMessage should only work through his AppleID and not the phone number. So in messages create a new message and enter his AppleID if you want to use iMessage or his phone number if you want to text him. If you already have a thread of messages with him, press the info button and whatever is being used is highlighted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I use inbox for my email and it is annoying when notifications are left on the iPhone after I've checked Mail on my iPad. Is that just an iPhone thing, or are there other apps that will clear their notifications when I've read them I anther device?

Noema

Ugh, so I'm normally on the non-S cycle with the 6 but just got a 6S with a new contract. I planned on selling my 6 and using the 6S but now I'm not sure whether or not it's better to sell the 6S and keep using the 6 till the 7 come out.

#firstworldproblems

Sell the 6, get the 7s in 2017, stay on the S-Train.

Wow that's dumb, didn't it used to add whatever was already in the stream?

No, because the stream isn't meant to be storage. It's just a folder that pushes the photos that are sent from other devices. Nothing is stored long-term in iCloud or anywhere else, only on the devices that have that folder

Aka your iPhone takes a photo, it gets pushed to the Photo Stream folder on your iPad, where it is downloaded and stored. It's used for syncing, not storage

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my notification sound/vibration has started to make a strange noise - like its warbling as it makes the sound. Yesterday it seemed to get stuck making a continuous tone (with vibration) until I turned the phone off.

Just started doing it again after behaving itself for most of the day.

Anyone had a problem like this?

Number45

my notification sound/vibration has started to make a strange noise - like its warbling as it makes the sound. Yesterday it seemed to get stuck making a continuous tone (with vibration) until I turned the phone off.

Just started doing it again after behaving itself for most of the day.

Anyone had a problem like this?
I had this a couple of weeks back - same as you turned the phone off (assumed it was a hardware problem so didn't think it would fix it) but it did resolve it and I haven't had the problem since. A bit of a worry if it's something that can occur often.

schwupp

whats the best way to move contacts from a windows phone to a new iphone? (new sim card - but same number)
is there a free app to migrate those?

Went to an Apple Store for the first time ever and man, the iPhone 6S Plus is incredible. I didn't think I'd like the larger model but it's just so great to look at and it feels pretty darn good in my hand. I'll probably go Plus model now whenever I decide to upgrade.

ethomaz

Banned
I need new phone after my iPhone 5S but all these big screens kills me.

I'm almost buying another 5S lol because these crap screens in new phones.

Apple you need to back to small phones again... there are people waiting.

PS. My dream wishes are 6S specs in a max 4.2" screen.

Red

Rumors of a 6c on the way.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

LOL the normal 6S is way too tiny for a phone in 2015. They need to go 5" screen for the normal 7. But yeah hopefully the 6C is true for people who prefer tiny phones. It's going to be low end though with no 3D Touch and I bet the battery on that thing will me miserable considering the battery on the normal 6S isn't all that good either.

schwupp

got my contact migration done :) (used a gmail account to transfer the contacts).

now i have another noob question:
if i create a new contact - how can i define the account where the new contact is saved?
eg. business to exchange, private to gmail.

Top Bottom