• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

MRSA

Banned
Got my K11 case, have no idea why it takes DHL to ship something from Utah to California in 5 days. Only complaint I got is the volume buttons feel kinda flimsy. I got the E2E glass protector, have to take off my old Spigen one that halo'd everywhere. Hopefully that's not the case with this one.

Lexxism

Got my K11 case, have no idea why it takes DHL to ship something from Utah to California in 5 days. Only complaint I got is the volume buttons feel kinda flimsy. I got the E2E glass protector, have to take off my old Spigen one that halo'd everywhere. Hopefully that's not the case with this one.
If you got the E2E from ThanoTech then you won't have any problem with it. I read that it fits perfectly well with K11 as they said.

So are there any good tempered glass protectors that adhere to the edges properly? Have one on now and kinda looks like shit all around the edges. Looking at reviews on Amazon, seems a ton have this problem. The full coverage ones don't get good reviews but even the regular type ones all seem to have that "halo" effect around the sides.

Anion

Starting to find the cons of this K11 bumper. The frame is great, but if you take it off and put it back on a few times - you can risk bending it. Maybe I took it off wrong or something, but mine now has a slight outward bend on both sides. Very slight, but enough that the buttons no longer have enough contact to have that crisp feel though. I'll put a rubber band around the bumper for a day and see if that helps it regain the shape.

XxCGSxX

I'm going insane here, so I was having the unresponsive touch screen problems, so I decided to reset all settings and everythings been going great so apparently it worked. Problem is I'm having signal problems now, calls are failing everytime no service symbol, data is going insane going down to the little E symbol etc. So GAF PLEASE help, I'm 100% sure resetting settings fucked something up, everything was fine since launch in terms of signal until the reset.

Miyahon

I'm going insane here, so I was having the unresponsive touch screen problems, so I decided to reset all settings and everythings been going great so apparently it worked. Problem is I'm having signal problems now, calls are failing everytime no service symbol, data is going insane going down to the little E symbol etc. So GAF PLEASE help, I'm 100% sure resetting settings fucked something up, everything was fine since launch in terms of signal until the reset.

Maybe try a reset of the network settings and see if that works?

Houndi101

Contemplating on upgrading from 4S that works fine-ish (overheats sometimes when downloading podcasts and turns itself off)
But goddamn that is a expensive piece of electronics in Europe

jts

...hate me...
I can't help but I will say do not disable iCloud Library.
I had an issue a few days ago with Safari Reading List not syncing between my Mac and phone. So I signed out of iCloud on the Mac and immediately logged back in.
It fixed the problem, everything was fine... but Photos decided to re-upload my entire Library. It's been going for almost 3 days now...
Both the iCloud Photo and Music libraries are so poorly thought out I have to seriously consider why I'm paying for either.
I thought I had outsmarted the system by transferring the video over USB to my computer and then deleting it from the phone (including from the recently deleted folder/album) but the info at the bottom of Photos app keeps stuck uploading a ton of data, and it doesn't go past 0kb. It's absurd. I don't know what do I have to do to set it straight. I have a long travel day today and I have to turn off the wifi to save battery (when I could be enjoying fast free airport wifi) :(

I pay for iCloud stuff because it works really well when it does. Which, tbh, is most of the time. But when something goes wrong... god save us all.

Ninja Dom

How do I tackle this issue?

Today I filmed a 90 minute 1080p30 video on my 6s+. Spent like 30% of battery. Airplane mode was on. Pretty great I think.

However since then the battery started to drain like hell, because I'm on wifi it's trying to upload that behemoth video to iCloud Photos. I mean just because I have wifi doesn't mean I can charge the phone at the same time.

I don't want to disable iCloud Photos because I fear that it will be a whole thing to enable it again etc. Just wanna stop a 11GB upload until at least tonight. And the aditional problem is if the upload ever fails to be completed (likely to happen with such a huge file), it will always try to start over again. So I'll have a long time ahead with a constant open upload connection everytime I'm on wifi, impacting its battery life.

Huge videos can be a niche thing but I feel this is not well thought out.

Always best to use cable transfer to your computer when it comes to huge size videos, definitely.

Did you have a stand/tripod for your video or you were holding the phone in your hand continuously for 90 minutes?

Red

Contemplating on upgrading from 4S that works fine-ish (overheats sometimes when downloading podcasts and turns itself off)
But goddamn that is a expensive piece of electronics in Europe
It's expensive everywhere. Why not go to a 5s or 6? Both are still great.

jts

...hate me...
Always best to use cable transfer to your computer when it comes to huge size videos, definitely.

Did you have a stand/tripod for your video or you were holding the phone in your hand continuously for 90 minutes?
The latter. I have and use a camera tripod.

MRSA

Banned
So are there any good tempered glass protectors that adhere to the edges properly? Have one on now and kinda looks like shit all around the edges. Looking at reviews on Amazon, seems a ton have this problem. The full coverage ones don't get good reviews but even the regular type ones all seem to have that "halo" effect around the sides.

ThanoTech, pricey though. Put mine on and I can't even tell its there.

adamy

Banned
If I completely wipe my phone and do a factory reset and then log into my Apple account, will it restore all my contacts?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iOS is pretty damn terrible at allowing you to manage data usage. We're in Japan on holiday and we rented a mobile wifi router, which has a fair use limit which slows your internet down each day if you use too much. We hit that almost instantly, even if we aren't doing anything. iOS just seems to see a wifi connection and goes to town.

I've disabled background refresh, auto downloads in pocket casts and podcasts apps, and auto app updates. Also wifi backups. But I can't seem to turn off photo sync unless I either delete all my photos on my phone, or download all of them at full size (which is impossible). I still don't know if there are other areas that will eat my data.

Now I have to remember to individually turn each of those features back on when we get back home. If only there was a way to designate specific wifi access points as mobile wifi (like android lets you), and let you apply stricter data rules to them.

Edit: ffs, data usage has gone up by 500MB in the last 15 mins and all I've done is come into Gaf to post this, and my wife is checking email on her phone. I'm at a loss to what is sucking my data so much :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do I tackle this issue?

Today I filmed a 90 minute 1080p30 video on my 6s+. Spent like 30% of battery. Airplane mode was on. Pretty great I think.

However since then the battery started to drain like hell, because I'm on wifi it's trying to upload that behemoth video to iCloud Photos. I mean just because I have wifi doesn't mean I can charge the phone at the same time.

I don't want to disable iCloud Photos because I fear that it will be a whole thing to enable it again etc. Just wanna stop a 11GB upload until at least tonight. And the aditional problem is if the upload ever fails to be completed (likely to happen with such a huge file), it will always try to start over again. So I'll have a long time ahead with a constant open upload connection everytime I'm on wifi, impacting its battery life.

Huge videos can be a niche thing but I feel this is not well thought out.

Should totally have a separate setting for video uploads. also a way to temporarily pause iCloud Photo Library sync when you're only on crappy hotel wifi for instance. Like my previous post, iOS data management is pretty poor if you ever need to be away from fast free wifi

Finally picked up my 6S+ 128GB in silver this past Friday. Nicknamed it "Millennium Falcon" in honor of the color (and it being TFA's release date).

Got a glass screen protector for it and have picked up a few cases for it in the past few days.

Absolutely loving the phone and the size is actually quite comfortable despite my hands being on the small size.

P1030318_zpswe5lkrym.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do pebble and android wear stack up against Apple Watch purely for notifications? Any other options like fitness bands?

Literally all I want is clearer notifications eg if my phone is in a jacket pocket and I'm in a noisy location. So decent vibration on the wrist, with bonus points for varying vibrations for different notifications like texts/email, or apps like whatsapp

Red

Got my K11 and E2E screen protector today. The bumper is nice. It's a little bulkier than the framexframe, but looks sleeker with no logos and smoother chamfered edges. It's a closer match for the gold iPhone as well. The lip on the K11 protrudes more than the framexframe, which does not look as nice but offers more protection. The buttons are also much clickier. It's not perfect though. My tpu has some imperfections that look like dust or black fibers were pressed in.

The E2E protector is nice. You barely notice it after it's applied. But a warning: the included microfiber cloth is shit. I have pieces of cloth sandwiched between the screen protector and bumper after trying to polish it. The thing crumbles when you start using it.

And, disappointingly, the E2E glass does create a slight gap between the screen and the bumper. It is small but noticeable.

It may just be me (I don't think it is!) but the E2E display seems to not be quite wide enough for the 6s+ display. There is a hair that is covered up by the white edge no matter how I adjust the protector.

br3wnor

Had my 6s Plus for a couple of weeks now and man am I happy w/ the purchase. I came from a 5 that I've used for the past 3 yearsish (broken home button last year and a half) and the difference is night a day.

It's obviously so much faster, but the two biggest differences for me are the screen real estate and the battery. I didn't notice at first how much bigger the screen was w/ regular use, but when I had to use my wife's 5s for something, it was like picking up a toy, I couldn't believe how tiny the thing felt in my hands. There are still times were the size of the Plus is a little annoying, but 90% of the time I'm completely comfortable using it and the 10% of the time where I have to adjust my hand awkwardly or use 2 hands to do something is well worth the increased screen size.

Now the battery, good lord this battery is my favorite thing about the phone.

I have a battery longevity question: As of right now I commute roughly 2 hours a day, during that time I have my phone plugged into my car audio. Now the input I have it in charges very slowly, but the way it's been working is I wake up in the morning w/ a 60%ish charge (don't charge it overnight) and after my hour commute in the morning, my phone is in the 75-80% range. I make it through the day and get back into the car on the commute home again in the 60% range, and by the time I get home I'm back up to the 75-80% range. So really the only charging I do are these 2 hours of commuting, and as a result, my phone is basically never under 60% (and not usually above 80-90%). Is this going to hurt the battery long term? I don't really have a solution since the only way I can do podcasts/music from my phone in the car is through this lightning connector port. I'll probably get a new phone w/in 2 years so if this is only going to slowly erode the battery more than if I just plugged it in to charge once a night, then whatever, but if it's doing serious damage to the near future of my battery capacity, then I'll suck on no podcasts I guess. (Also, even w/ the 2 hours of it being plugged in during my commute, am I better off topping the phone off overnight so that I start each morning w/ a 100% charge? Theoretically for the morning commute at least, the phone wouldn't really be 'charging' as it'd just be staying around 100%)

My very limited understanding of rechargeable batteries is they have a certain number of charges before you start getting diminishing returns, and I don't know if having it plugged in twice a day, an hour each time is eating up those theoretical charges.

So really the only charging I do are these 2 hours of commuting, and as a result, my phone is basically never under 60% (and not usually above 80-90%). Is this going to hurt the battery long term?

My very limited understanding of rechargeable batteries is they have a certain number of charges before you start getting diminishing returns, and I don't know if having it plugged in twice a day, an hour each time is eating up those theoretical charges.

I'm sure there is a thread for this somewhere, but the basic rules:

1. Lithium just cares about cycles. 1 cycle = 0-100% charge. So if you recharge 1% a day, you need 100 days for 1 cycle. It really doesn't care how much you recharge or when. Generally speaking I think most phones are rated for 1000 cycles though they can last well beyond that - just with less capacity.

2. Battery life slowly degrades with each cycle. You should be around 80% capacity at about 500 cycles for most iPhones. This depends a LOT on internal chemistry so it's not very predictable.

3. The only things that will really kill your battery chemistry (life) faster? Heat. Apple's chassis is great about dispersing heat (being metal) but expect capacity to drop like a rock if you keep charging it sitting on something hot.

There is some advantage to storing unused products at a lower charge (like ~40-60%) but mostly when heat is an issue. Near 0c the difference is really minor. At 25c it's a bit more pronounced. But since you're using it, heat is just a fact of life (using the battery creates heat, and so does using the phone CPU/GPU/etc)

so got my 6s+ today and loving it. read so many stories about different things wrong with it but it's been great. no issues.

will retire my nexus 5 to status as back up phone. the difference between both phones is huge. size, screen quality, performance. i was so content using phones in the range of <£150-300 and kept telling myself that spending another £400 was crazy but you damn well get what you pay for.

touch id is amazingly fast and hasn't failed once in recognising my print. can't wait to try out Apple Pay. 3D touch is nice but i don't think i'll use it cause i keep forgetting it's there.

iOS is pretty damn terrible at allowing you to manage data usage. We're in Japan on holiday and we rented a mobile wifi router, which has a fair use limit which slows your internet down each day if you use too much. We hit that almost instantly, even if we aren't doing anything. iOS just seems to see a wifi connection and goes to town.

I've disabled background refresh, auto downloads in pocket casts and podcasts apps, and auto app updates. Also wifi backups. But I can't seem to turn off photo sync unless I either delete all my photos on my phone, or download all of them at full size (which is impossible). I still don't know if there are other areas that will eat my data.

Now I have to remember to individually turn each of those features back on when we get back home. If only there was a way to designate specific wifi access points as mobile wifi (like android lets you), and let you apply stricter data rules to them.

Edit: ffs, data usage has gone up by 500MB in the last 15 mins and all I've done is come into Gaf to post this, and my wife is checking email on her phone. I'm at a loss to what is sucking my data so much :/

This scares me a bit. I'm heading to Japan next month, and I'm using a pocket Wi-Fi stick in order to have internet access. I'd like to hear if you've solved your problem (or not).

br3wnor

I'm sure there is a thread for this somewhere, but the basic rules:

1. Lithium just cares about cycles. 1 cycle = 0-100% charge. So if you recharge 1% a day, you need 100 days for 1 cycle. It really doesn't care how much you recharge or when. Generally speaking I think most phones are rated for 1000 cycles though they can last well beyond that - just with less capacity.

2. Battery life slowly degrades with each cycle. You should be around 80% capacity at about 500 cycles for most iPhones. This depends a LOT on internal chemistry so it's not very predictable.

3. The only things that will really kill your battery chemistry (life) faster? Heat. Apple's chassis is great about dispersing heat (being metal) but expect capacity to drop like a rock if you keep charging it sitting on something hot.

There is some advantage to storing unused products at a lower charge (like ~40-60%) but mostly when heat is an issue. Near 0c the difference is really minor. At 25c it's a bit more pronounced. But since you're using it, heat is just a fact of life (using the battery creates heat, and so does using the phone CPU/GPU/etc)

Ahhh ok, so if on a given day, between the 2 charges I charge 60%, that's basically 6/10's of ONE cycle. Doesn't really matter if I"m doing 50-80% twice a day as opposed to 0-60% in one sitting. That's what I really cared about. Thanks for the explanation!

Ahhh ok, so if on a given day, between the 2 charges I charge 60%, that's basically 6/10's of ONE cycle. Doesn't really matter if I"m doing 50-80% twice a day as opposed to 0-60% in one sitting. That's what I really cared about. Thanks for the explanation!

Basically, yeah. Vast majority of capacity loss is due to chemistry (beyond your control) or heat, and for most of the US/Canada, that heat simply comes from use (either heat from the electronics or the battery actually discharging)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This scares me a bit. I'm heading to Japan next month, and I'm using a pocket Wi-Fi stick in order to have internet access. I'd like to hear if you've solved your problem (or not).

I think it has settled down. I turned off background refresh, iCloud backups and podcast syncing. Seems to be behaving so far. iCloud photos I had to leave on because otherwise it'd delete all photos from my phone (or download them all at full size which isn't possible on my data). If you don't take too many photos you should be ok

Also there is an initiative to give any tourists 14 days free wifi access at any SoftBank hotspots (apparently 400k across Japan - they have a picture of a little white dog). You need to register with your phone number which isn't working on my iPhone but you can also do it in some stores like yodabashi camera.

Also check out the Japan travel thread which had a good recommendation for a mobile wifi with no limitations

https://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/order.html

All I know is... I've been using this web store for the past 2 years and never had any issues. Easy to rent/return from HND or NRT post office. Great stuff.

They even have an English speaking help desk and you can do a store pick-up in Akihabara. Highly recommended.

For some background info. I travel to Japan for work every other month. I often use WiFi for everything from skype calls, social media, watching Twitch streams, etc. I've even streamed using the WiFi connection (depends on your area of course). I've been using the au model as it fits what I need for it to do.

I think it has settled down. I turned off background refresh, iCloud backups and podcast syncing. Seems to be behaving so far. iCloud photos I had to leave on because otherwise it'd delete all photos from my phone (or download them all at full size which isn't possible on my data). If you don't take too many photos you should be ok

Also there is an initiative to give any tourists 14 days free wifi access at any SoftBank hotspots (apparently 400k across Japan - they have a picture of a little white dog). You need to register with your phone number which isn't working on my iPhone but you can also do it in some stores like yodabashi camera.

Also check out the Japan travel thread which had a good recommendation for a mobile wifi with no limitations

https://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/order.html

Cheers, and thanks for the information!

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Sold my 6S Plus gold and my Space Gray 6S just arrived from Apple, and holy shit is this thing tiny ! I didn't know this thing was that small. Apple needs to make the iPhone 7 5 inches. I may exchange it for a Space Gray 6S Plus. Space Gray is an amazing color though, it's beautiful and the black front makes it look so stealthy looking.

Edit- After using it for a while and watching youtube videos man I notice the drop off from the lack of having a 1080p screen. The quality between the 6S+ and 6S screens are night and day. Man I might send this back, but I don't want to be without a phone for some time.

Red

Yeah the resolution of the normal 6s does not hold up. I never really bought Apple's definition of "Retina display"... The iPhone 4 was nice for its time but Apple's Retina display pixels have always been obvious.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Yeah the resolution of the normal 6s does not hold up. I never really bought Apple's definition of "Retina display"... The iPhone 4 was nice for its time but Apple's Retina display pixels have always been obvious.
The regular 7 needs a 5" 1080p display. The thing is way behind the times. I don't like it, and am boxing it up to send right back to Apple and get another 6S Plus. 6S Plus is a much higher quality phone imo. Terrible mistake I made by selling my 6S Plus. the 6S is like a childs toy compared to the 6S Plus. That 1080p screen and battery life of the 6S+ gets taken for granted. I wake up at like 10 AM and don't have to charge my 6S Plus until 1 AM, this thing needed charging 5 hours after I got it. I started watching YouTube videos and instantly noticed the terrible quality of the non HD screen, and missed my 5.5" screen. Watching porn on it was an terrible experience as well. I boxed it up and FedEX will be picking it up tomorrow. Hope Apple makes this process quick. I want to have another 6S+ by next Tuesday.

Vyer

Only time the 6s screen has ever bothered me was with VR stuff. Other than that it's a great screen. That said, I certainly wouldn't mind a rez bump.

Stantron

Hi all. I currently have a 4S on a family plan with Verizon.
I was planning on buying a 6S from the apple website and then picking it up in a local apple store.
If I still plan to stick with Verizon anyway, should I pick the Verizon wireless carrier option over the SIM-free option? They are both the same price. Would I still have the option to switch carriers at a later date?

Once I have the new phone, would I need to go to a Verizon store to set it up, or can I just backup my current phone in iTunes on my PC, and then restore that to the new phone?

Hi all. I currently have a 4S on a family plan with Verizon.
I was planning on buying a 6S from the apple website and then picking it up in a local apple store.
If I still plan to stick with Verizon anyway, should I pick the Verizon wireless carrier option over the SIM-free option? They are both the same price. Would I still have the option to switch carriers at a later date?

Once I have the new phone, would I need to go to a Verizon store to set it up, or can I just backup my current phone in iTunes on my PC, and then restore that to the new phone?

If you're planning on paying full price for the phone, get the SIM-free one. It'll still activate to Verizon and it'll have better resale value in a couple years if that's your thing. That said, the SIM-free option doesn't come with a Verizon nanosim (which you would need, Apple Stores have them for free) so you'd need to call Verizon anyway to activate the new SIM card on your phone. Your 4S has a micro sim which won't fit in the 6S. If you go with the Verizon wireless option instead of SIM-free then your number should be ported automatically, assuming you enter the information for your account

As for your data, the easiest way is to make a backup of your 4S to iCloud or iTunes and then just restore that backup onto the new phone. When you turn on the 6S for the first time it'll ask you if you want to set up as a new phone, restore from iCloud backup, restore from iTunes backup, or move from Android. Just pick whichever option you want to go with!

Stantron

If you're planning on paying full price for the phone, get the SIM-free one. It'll still activate to Verizon and it'll have better resale value in a couple years if that's your thing. That said, the SIM-free option doesn't come with a Verizon nanosim (which you would need, Apple Stores have them for free) so you'd need to call Verizon anyway to activate the new SIM card on your phone. Your 4S has a micro sim which won't fit in the 6S. If you go with the Verizon wireless option instead of SIM-free then your number should be ported automatically, assuming you enter the information for your account

As for your data, the easiest way is to make a backup of your 4S to iCloud or iTunes and then just restore that backup onto the new phone. When you turn on the 6S for the first time it'll ask you if you want to set up as a new phone, restore from iCloud backup, restore from iTunes backup, or move from Android. Just pick whichever option you want to go with!
Thank you so much for the info. Earlier, I had called a rep at my local apple store to ask questions, and she didn't even know if the 4S sim card was compatible with the 6S or not.

Red

After using my K11 for a while the tpu has started to absorb dye from my jeans... It's a pale blue now instead of white. This was never a problem with my framexframe. It is much sturdier than the framexframe, however, and I would not go back. It's definitely the best bumper style case I have ever used.

The E2E screen protector is also excellent, although it does not seem to allow 100% of the screen to be displayed. It is very close though. It is so thin and precisely cut that it is difficult to see unless you know to look for it (when the K11 bumper is also on). It is nearly perfect.

After using my K11 for a while the tpu has started to absorb dye from my jeans... It's a pale blue now instead of white. This was never a problem with my framexframe. It is much sturdier than the framexframe, however, and I would not go back. It's definitely the best bumper style case I have ever used.

The E2E screen protector is also excellent, although it does not seem to allow 100% of the screen to be displayed. It is very close though. It is so thin and precisely cut that it is difficult to see unless you know to look for it (when the K11 bumper is also on). It is nearly perfect.

Loving my K11 so much. I got the space grey/space grey so it matches the colors of my phone perfectly. They got a customer for life if this is their quality

I recently got the iPhone 6s and the display has a crazy amount of ghosting/trailing. Even when an image is moving slowly you can clearly see its ghost trailing by quite a bit. Is this normal? I never noticed it on my iPhone 5s. I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective unit.

Number45

I recently got the iPhone 6s and the display has a crazy amount of ghosting/trailing. Even when an image is moving slowly you can clearly see its ghost trailing by quite a bit. Is this normal? I never noticed it on my iPhone 5s. I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective unit.
Haven't noticed anything like this on mine (6s Plus).

Any way to take a video?

But no, there's not supposed to be any ghosting. Sounds like a defect, head to the Apple Store

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So my iPhone 5c's battery has really been on the fritz lately. Today is suddenly dropped from 54% to 9% in an instant and only lasted another half hour or so before it died completely. When I plugged it in tonight it started charging at 30%. Is there some sort of calibration I can run it through to get the battery meter to display properly?

Samus4145

Is Apple ever going to fix double notifications? Doesn't matter if it's a text or email, I will get a reminder notification for anything I didn't clear from my lock screen a couple minutes later. It is the biggest pet peeve about owning an iPhone.

npa189

Where can I view my Google+ friend location map on iOS?

Google took that feature away from G+ iOS users for reasons. It's still there on android, and my android friends can still see my location, I just can't see theirs. It was the only reason I had G+ installed, now I don't.

So my iPhone 5c's battery has really been on the fritz lately. Today is suddenly dropped from 54% to 9% in an instant and only lasted another half hour or so before it died completely. When I plugged it in tonight it started charging at 30%. Is there some sort of calibration I can run it through to get the battery meter to display properly?

Eh, not really. How long have you had the phone? Possible the battery is either at the end of its life or has failed. Apple Store or AppleCare over the phone can run diagnostics and see what's up

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Eh, not really. How long have you had the phone? Possible the battery is either at the end of its life or has failed. Apple Store or AppleCare over the phone can run diagnostics and see what's up

Unfortunately my Applecare expired back in September when the two-year mark hit for the phone, so they'll likely charge me something along the lines of $100 for a new battery when I can replace it myself for $25 if Amazon is to be believe.

Top Bottom