• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Wow I swear I checked it yesterday in the morning and it wasn't out haha. Sweet! Here's hoping for silky smooth force touch animations for my 6s plus!

I have the 6s Plus and the force touch animations are silky smooth now! It's like a night and day difference for me. I also noticed that using force touch to bring up the app switcher is a lot easier to do now on 9.2. My main problem is that I have a glass screen protector that only covers the screen so the edge of the protector always interfered with the force touch gesture, now with 9.2, I can easily bring up the app switcher.

I wonder what other improvements it made across iOS.

I have the 6s Plus and the force touch animations are silky smooth now! It's like a night and day difference for me. I also noticed that using force touch to bring up the app switcher is a lot easier to do now on 9.2. My main problem is that I have a glass screen protector that only covers the screen so the edge of the protector always interfered with the force touch gesture, now with 9.2, I can easily bring up the app switcher.

I wonder what other improvements it made across iOS.

I also noticed animation improvements and force touch app switcher is much easier to pull off. 9.2 is pretty neat, so far.

All this talk of 6S force touch prompted me to actually investigate the functionality further.

I can't really get the app switcher functionality to play ball with the official silicone case, but my adventures did lead me to another incredible discovery.

You can force touch the keyboard to activate a touchpad cursor? This is a game changer for me, guys. I was struggling with tapping to move the text cursor just this morning.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk of 6S force touch prompted me to actually investigate the functionality further.

I can't really get the app switcher functionality to play ball with the official silicone case, but my adventures did lead me to another incredible discovery.

You can force touch the keyboard to activate a touchpad cursor? This is a game changer for me, guys. I was struggling with tapping to move the text cursor just this morning.
Trackpad is god mode.

tip on the app switcher, put your finger all the way to the edge of the case and force press there, don't swipe right away and don't try to do it in one motion. After you see the apps start to fan now swipe (little bit for switcher across for last app)

Pepiope

Yeah. I really like the force touch on the edge of the screen. Stopped using the double click home button since.
It took me a while to realize that edge of the screen literally means edge of the screen. I didn't expect the force touch to work there for some reason; I couldn't for the life of me get it to work on the home screen (and my case didn't help, the bumper case I have now is much better), but now that I'm used to it, it's much much easier than double clicking the home button.

dork

Banned
Can anyone answer questions on the upgrade program. I have a 6 and got an email about being able to trade it in and upgrade.
So I can trade my 6 in for like 300 to the Apple Store and get a 6s for x amount a month?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I really like the force touch on the edge of the screen. Stopped using the double click home button since.
My only complaint is in 9 they reversed the direction of the app switcher (App's stack to the left) and thus the gesture us on the left side. Would have preferred if the apps stacked in the same way and the gesture was on the right side, it would make the gesture easier to use one handed (especially on the plus), at least for us righties.

I think this would also reduce potential collisions with the back gesture (these aren't a huge deal though)

Red

Trackpad is god mode.

tip on the app switcher, put your finger all the way to the edge of the case and force press there, don't swipe right away and don't try to do it in one motion. After you see the apps start to fan now swipe (little bit for switcher across for last app)
I always swipe immediately. Much faster than doing a flat press.

Whoa! Got a bit of an issue here, I hope my phone isn't fucked!

So I tried to update my 6S Plus today to 9.2.. the wifi is spotty where I am.

The internet got cut off on my laptop that my phone is plugged into

The phone froze on the "Plug it to itunes" image screen... it wouldn't Restore or Update it was just stuck in that loop, tried soft and hard reset, just went back to that (plug it in ) Screen.

Anyway, after a few attempts, and fails, I went to a coffee shop and used their Wifi to try it again. With reliable internet connection, I successfully updated to 9.2 .

Got things up and running and the phone seemed normal... Battery at around 80% Never really used the phone until....

Three hours after the update, a friend calls I have this cheap ($8) Maxell brand earphones with mic plugged in, I answer the call by pushing the button on the mic... after a few minutes.. even after the phone being covered with a clear silicon case, I can feel it being super hot! never ever has the phone been this hot, the battery part I guess the back of the phone feels like a hot plate right out of the oven, then I notice the battery has dropped to 20%, I swear it was 80% and over just a few hours earlier (Although I have no proof)

I stayed on the phone with a friend for about 26 minutes we talked and the phone battery was around 2% at that time and still very hot, and now it just died.

What do you think happened GAF? the phone has been very consistent and never had any issues with overheating , and I never even let it drop below 20% battery.. but the battery just almost 'fried" and drained instantly...

so I wonder if....

1) There was some damage done to the phone when it got hung up on a loop during the 9.2 Update.

2) I wonder if answering the call with the cheap mic's button, caused some kind of a glitch???

HAlp! How long do I have to buy Apple care after purchase? I tyhink this phone has been just over a month now...Am I too late? Shall I take it in to Genius Bar tomorrow,

Or shall I charge it back up and just start using it?

Sorry for typing too much!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much data does background app refresh use, and is there any simple way of seeing if one particular app is hogging it?

I've been using a mobile wifi router for the moment as I'm having problems with my mobile data on the phone. I'm looking at the homepage for it, and the data usage is crazy - it has gone up almost 100MB in the last 10 minutes and I'm not using any apps with a data connection.

I wish there was some way to restrict data usage on iOS on mobile vs wifi (use as much as you like when at home, but limit on mobile), and for it to understand than a mobile hotspot should be treated differently to normal wifi, as it may be someone's phone tethering etc. Android does this pretty well.

emag

Whoa! Got a bit of an issue here, I hope my phone isn't fucked!
How long do I have to buy Apple care after purchase? I tyhink this phone has been just over a month now...Am I too late? Shall I take it in to Genius Bar tomorrow,

You don't need the extended Applecare warranty for this. The standard warranty will cover it. Just take it in to an Apple Store and have them take a look. Most likely they'll just swap it out, so make sure you've backed up your data.

How much data does background app refresh use, and is there any simple way of seeing if one particular app is hogging it?

You can see how much cell data each of your apps have used in Settings->Cellular (scroll down). I don't know of a way to see how much of that is background app refresh based, but you can check one day and then the next (without opening the app in the meantime) and see the difference.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Thinking of going to buy myself a 6S+ today.

Haven't been on iOS since my 4S. I really like my Nexus 5 but I think it's time to upgrade now.
In 39 years, including 33 being a tech enthusiast, it's the best personal object I've owned. As close to perfect as one thing can be.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
what would you say the 6S+ does better than other devices out there?
It's the balance of power/everything you ask for is instantanous, battery life that lasts a full day no matter how much I use it, 3D Touch novelty, usefulness with such an amount of apps/functions, design in terms of attractiveness and stength (the screen is super scratch resistant compared to previous iPhones). It's a triumph, and I say it after few months of usage, I'm still not done with the honeymoon.

Mortemis

Banned
Looks like the Google search app supports 3D Touch on the icon, never thought I'd see that. 😳

Super helpful being able to quickly voice search.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I upgraded from a 5 to the 6S a few days ago.
It just feels and performs so much better. Love it.

The only annoying but is how fast it recognizes my fingers when I wake it up haha. Training myself to either just use the edge of my finger or the power button when I want to just read notifications.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sometimes when I'm typing quickly, it'll suddenly highlight all the text and delete it (I assume I'm just typing so it instantly replaces the selected text). Is there some keyboard shortcut that selects all text? I normally type with two fingers and my thumb hovering over the space bar so I might be pressing space+a key

Really infuriating especially if I've just typed a long post on GAF and it bloody disappears.

Red

Sometimes when I'm typing quickly, it'll suddenly highlight all the text and delete it (I assume I'm just typing so it instantly replaces the selected text). Is there some keyboard shortcut that selects all text? I normally type with two fingers and my thumb hovering over the space bar so I might be pressing space+a key

Really infuriating especially if I've just typed a long post on GAF and it bloody disappears.
This has happened to me too. I've made huge replies on GAF that—puff—are gone in an instant. I never bother retyping.

Every time I'm like

fc2f72866c929a15dc2e1668d3e07bd6609b8823

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shake your phone

Undo delete

omg.

Omfg. even does multiple step undo.

But why is it deleting it in the first place? some hidden select-all shortcut?

Edit: on iPad two finger tap selects the current word, and a two finger double tap selects all. So if you hover your finger on the space bar to type faster, it could occasionally register a two finger double tap and if you're typing away and don't notice you'll lose your text. That'd be my guess anyway.

Doesn't do it on 6S+ though, I suppose because of using force touch for selection

br3wnor

Got my 6s plus on Wednesday, upgrading from a 5 that I had for almost 3 years it is one hell of an upgrade. My wife has a 5s and its so funny to use this phone and then have to use hers for something, it feels like I'm grabbing a toy or something.

Love everything about the phone, the only issue I'm having is getting used to the battery. I'm trying to only charge the phone when I actually need it, but I'm getting to bed time some days at 50+%, so I won't charge it but then I'll need to give it a charge at an awkward time the next day, if I'm only gonna have the phone for a couple of years, can I safely charge this once a day even if battery isn't at low capacity without it having a major effect on the battery's longevity?

Obviously a good problem to have, I was charging my 5 at least twice a day at the end.

Got my 6s plus on Wednesday, upgrading from a 5 that I had for almost 3 years it is one hell of an upgrade. My wife has a 5s and its so funny to use this phone and then have to use hers for something, it feels like I'm grabbing a toy or something.

Love everything about the phone, the only issue I'm having is getting used to the battery. I'm trying to only charge the phone when I actually need it, but I'm getting to bed time some days at 50+%, so I won't charge it but then I'll need to give it a charge at an awkward time the next day, if I'm only gonna have the phone for a couple of years, can I safely charge this once a day even if battery isn't at low capacity without it having a major effect on the battery's longevity?

Obviously a good problem to have, I was charging my 5 at least twice a day at the end.

The amount of charge cycles have an effect on battery longevity, but not number of times charged.
If you charged from 75% battery left each time then 4 charges = 100% total charge = 1 charge cycle
2 charges from 50% = 1 charge cycle
1 charge from dead to 100% = 1 charge cycle

So it's no different charging your phone 10 times from 90% or twice from 50%, both will have the same exact effect on the battery.
Charge it once a night if you want, or twice a day. Doesn't matter.

Red

So I guess Apple changed app switcher behavior when reduce motion is enabled. Should be a toggle imo. I use reduce motion because it makes navigating the phone feel a little quicker. But now app switching is glacial. It's nice having a bigger overlay for the active app but it's terrible for moving more than a couple apps over.

Aurizen

I have an iphone 6s Plus and I have a Spigen Hybrid case and it's a great case love the design and its lightness however the area under the vibrate switch snapped so its loose. What are the best cases for the iPhone 6s Plus? Looking for something similar and more sturdy and the cut out similar at the bottom. Something that doesn't keep my phone hot too

emag

In 39 years, including 33 being a tech enthusiast, it's the best personal object I've owned. As close to perfect as one thing can be.

On the other hand, I really hate the +'s size and still dislike the regular 6/6S's size/shape/feel even four months in.

I really wish I could downgrade to a 5C-style design but retain the internals (camera, processor/memory/modem/chipset, TouchID). Having the curved glass would be nice but not necessary, and I couldn't care less about 3D Touch.

Red

What is it about the shape of the 6 you don't like? I don't think any
rounded rectangle
could be more comfortable to hold.

The Moto X line is my ideal design for portrait use, but it is asymmetrical and a little weird in landscape. Apple has found a nice symmetric balance with their latest.

emag

What is it about the shape of the 6 you don't like? I don't think any
rounded rectangle
could be more comfortable to hold.

The Moto X line is my ideal design for portrait use, but it is asymmetrical and a little weird in landscape. Apple has found a nice symmetric balance with their latest.

I prefer the curved back and (relatively) soft touch of the Lumia 520 and Moto G. I realize those are budget phones, but they fit really well in-hand. The 5C and 3G/3GS were reasonably comfortable as well.

Anion

So I finally got my space grey/space grey K11 bumper. Man it looks amazing tbh. The match is great for the space grey tpu and the iPhone. And the color and texture is great. The only "problem" is that the silence slit is kinda hard, but apparently it was increased during the final manufacturing process to make it better...so its an improvement over the previous idea lol
Sorry about the picture quality the pictures with the 6S in it were taken from my old 5C lol

I can take more angles if you request. Also, my phone has a clear skinnit on the back, so thats why it kinda looks different. I recommend that too lol

Oh and the 3D Touch works fine as well as the buttons. Really nice overall. Phone feels so light again after using a cheap Best Buy rubber case

LordOfChaos

Argh, so two days in a row now, soon after taking it off the charger in the morning, it dropped to 30% very quickly without me even seeing (I saw it was 100% when I took it off, then took a shower), now dropped to 20% even with location off and low battery mode on. This after upgrading to 9.2, not sure if related.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is it just me or is anyone else seeing their battery have the same standby and usage time?. I'm on 9.2 on a 6S+ and it's really annoying me. Battery doesn't seem to be draining but every time I check the usage and standby line up.

Red

So is it just me or is anyone else seeing their battery have the same standby and usage time?. I'm on 9.2 on a 6S+ and it's really annoying me. Battery doesn't seem to be draining but every time I check the usage and standby line up.
You showing any battery hungry apps?

Nelo Ice

Banned
You showing any battery hungry apps?
Nothing out of the ordinary besides the game I play the most at the time. Unless you count safari in which case for some reason is always #1 or #2 in usage even before my standby and usage times lined up. I tried looking that up and could not figure out why my safari had such high usage.

Nope nothing's more than 9% otherwise.

Something in the comm stack is likely crashing. Is it getting warm? Also, if you just upgraded it's likely doing background shit. It's annoying, but necessary and will stop in another day or two. iMore has articles about it if you care to read more.

Do a hard reboot (hold down power and home button for ten seconds until you see the Apple logo, and not just a blank screen)

Nelo Ice

Banned
Something in the comm stack is likely crashing. Is it getting warm? Also, if you just upgraded it's likely doing background shit. It's annoying, but necessary and will stop in another day or two. iMore has articles about it if you care to read more.

Do a hard reboot (hold down power and home button for ten seconds until you see the Apple logo, and not just a blank screen)
Nope phone isn't getting warm and I've had the upgrade since the 12th. Also thanks I did do a reboot but didn't think to to do a hard reboot.

jts

...hate me...
I've had that bug of standby time being basically the same as usage time, even got a screenshot to show for it.

It went away in the next battery cycle or so, not even sure if I rebooted the phone but probably. Never seen it happening again since (happened maybe 2 months ago).

jts

...hate me...
How do I tackle this issue?

Today I filmed a 90 minute 1080p30 video on my 6s+. Spent like 30% of battery. Airplane mode was on. Pretty great I think.

However since then the battery started to drain like hell, because I'm on wifi it's trying to upload that behemoth video to iCloud Photos. I mean just because I have wifi doesn't mean I can charge the phone at the same time.

I don't want to disable iCloud Photos because I fear that it will be a whole thing to enable it again etc. Just wanna stop a 11GB upload until at least tonight. And the aditional problem is if the upload ever fails to be completed (likely to happen with such a huge file), it will always try to start over again. So I'll have a long time ahead with a constant open upload connection everytime I'm on wifi, impacting its battery life.

Huge videos can be a niche thing but I feel this is not well thought out.

I can't help but I will say do not disable iCloud Library.
I had an issue a few days ago with Safari Reading List not syncing between my Mac and phone. So I signed out of iCloud on the Mac and immediately logged back in.
It fixed the problem, everything was fine... but Photos decided to re-upload my entire Library. It's been going for almost 3 days now...
Both the iCloud Photo and Music libraries are so poorly thought out I have to seriously consider why I'm paying for either.

Top Bottom