• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

My Verizon 6S is on transit. Currently at Newark NJ. Usually if its that close I normally get it within 2 days. I wonder if I'll receive mine early or they'll let it sit until launch day.

Red

The thought of a 7+ without the huge bezel is seriously making me reconsider my decision to get the 6s Plus. I typically prefer the s track because of performance, but I'm not convinced we'll see a resolution bump next year so I would assume that's a moot point.

This confounded indecision and "what if" is why I'm still running around with a 4s. >_<

The huge forehead and chin are what bother me about the 6. I get that iPhones have an iconic design, but isn't it about time to shake things up? Screen sizes have ballooned since the original iPhone, and the bezels are no longer practical.

What's the best carrier to have? Currently I'm in sprint paying 94 bucks a month for a unlimited data plan even though I've never had trouble with the network ( NY here ) i was wondering if there's a better option to slash the monthly bill? AT&T or T-mobile?

TimFL

My Verizon 6S is on transit. Currently at Newark NJ. Usually if its that close I normally get it within 2 days. I wonder if I'll receive mine early or they'll let it sit until launch day.

Is this your first pre-order iPhone? You don't get them early. I'm pretty sure all delivery companies know the drill by now (or they'll get to feel the wrath of Apple). My iPhones are usually in my hometown for 1-2 days ahead of launch (and they never show up ahead of the launch day).

They probably have them all sitting in one warehouse with big "DO NOT DELIVER BEFORE ..." signs glowing everywhere (and barbed wire I assume, a lot of barbed wire).

The thought of a 7+ without the huge bezel is seriously making me reconsider my decision to get the 6s Plus. I typically prefer the s track because of performance, but I'm not convinced we'll see a resolution bump next year so I would assume that's a moot point.

This confounded indecision and "what if" is why I'm still running around with a 4s. >_<
It really depends on your carrier, plan, and how often you can renew but I've found that iPhones keep a lot of value over their first year, making a yearly change pretty painless. YYMV obviously but it's worth doing the math of frequent upgrades.

Is this your first pre-order iPhone? You don't get them early. I'm pretty sure all delivery companies know the drill by now (or they'll get to feel the wrath of Apple). My iPhones are usually in my hometown for 1-2 days ahead of launch (and they never show up ahead of the launch day).

They probably have them all sitting in one warehouse with big "DO NOT DELIVER BEFORE ..." signs glowing everywhere (and barbed wire I assume, a lot of barbed wire).

Yeah it is. Ah well, as long as I get it on launch day I'm happy.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Just switch to T-Mobile and always have the latest phones. Never worry about cycles again and let yourself get hyped by new announcements.

Leasing is a wonderful thing when you realize how many devices you can switch between.

My man!!!! I find it absolutely insane people ruin these beautiful looking devices with a gaudy case. A screen protector is 10 billion times worse then a case though. Bare back for life

But you can't fault people for protecting a device that costs up to 1,000 dollars that can so easily be dropped...I wish I didn't have to put a case on it, however, because they do look amazing.

Hopfrog

So, AT&T's handling of this 6S+ issue has been pretty shoddy. Other carriers are giving out shipping info, tracking numbers, etc, and us AT&T customers are sitting here twiddling thumbs. Customer reps don't seem to know what is going on. At the most they are saying that they don't know what their stock will be and so will update when they get their numbers from Apple, but you have to browse around a bit to find that out.

If there is a supply issue they should be more upfront about it, but I would imagine they don't want the bad PR from another iPhone launch issue. Seems perverse to stay up to be able to pre-order early but get stuck waiting a month for a phone when others will walk in on launch day and pick one up.

Kibbles

My man!!!! I find it absolutely insane people ruin these beautiful looking devices with a gaudy case. A screen protector is 10 billion times worse then a case though. Bare back for life
Some glass protectors feel better and smoother than the bare phone.

Ultimately I want to rock a k11 bumper with a Cinder. They keep the design of the phone with some solid protection from accidental drops and lay on the table.

npa189

So, AT&T's handling of this 6S+ issue has been pretty shoddy. Other carriers are giving out shipping info, tracking numbers, etc, and us AT&T customers are sitting here twiddling thumbs. Customer reps don't seem to know what is going on. At the most they are saying that they don't know what their stock will be and so will update when they get their numbers from Apple, but you have to browse around a bit to find that out.

If there is a supply issue they should be more upfront about it, but I would imagine they don't want the bad PR from another iPhone launch issue. Seems perverse to stay up to be able to pre-order early but get stuck waiting a month for a phone when others will walk in on launch day and pick one up.

Same boat here, I'm still holding out hope they magically ship by Wednesday but who knows. I haven't ordered many phones from at&t but I was impressed how fast they got my Nexus 6 to me last year.

VPhys

I tried a case and screen once upon a time ago and it was ok for awhile but it really took away from the phone. I noticed after I had removed both things. I've never looked back afterwards. Plus screen protectors are a pain getting on.

I guess it's possible, though I keep my brightness down. Plus I don't really have anything to hide while on my phone so eh.

Stay out of my basement Brian!

I have no problem going naked but the only issue I have with a naked iphone is how slippery it is.

Shenmue

Banned
Wow I never knew people found the plus model "unwieldy". The 6 plus is super comfortable to me and I can't ever go back to a 6 or even worse the 5 size. They feel like little toys.

I stopped putting a case on it a while back after realizing its just so much nicer to use the phone and appreciate the design without one, and that a few light scratches on the back have no impact on the resale value after 1 year

That's true, but if dropped is when things would matter. I go casseroles on all my phone's too but I did drop my 6 Plus few times and in fact dropped my S6 today in the bathroom, leaving a dent on the side of the phone. That's when it feels like may be I should have a case.

Shenmue

Banned
Please recommend a clear case that won't scratch the phone then.

Thank you.

If you use a case on a naked phone it'll eventually scratch the back of the phone. Dust or sand like particles will eventually get stuck in between the case and phone and will basically act as sandpaper to the aluminum back.

Never seen one that was unscratched and never will.

The only way to avoid it is to use a full body clear skin like what Skinomi makes and then put a clear TPU case over it. That's what I do for all of my phones.

This is what i use now: http://www.skinomi.com/sk18182-apple-iphone-6s-skin-protector.html

These skins are not easy to put on though so if you don't have experience I'd go with a professional installation. I can line them up perfectly with no bubbles now but it took probably 10 or so installations on all kinds of devices before I got really good at doing them.

Barzul

My girlfriend works at UPS so I could get my phone a bit early depending on when it gets to her center. Still haven't got delivery confirmation from Sprint yet. Fingers crossed they ship with them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
4" 6 mini? lolno

5.5" is an excellent screen size - anything below that feels like a toy to me now. I shudder to think of a 4" phone. I think future plus models (starting with the 7) will be better designed ergonomically, now that the Plus has proven it's here to stay.

I also agree that the phones could stand to be a little thicker in the name of battery.

5.5" might be lovely to look at, but I would bet money on it being objectively a poor size for pocketability and one-handed usability. To the level where I'm surprised Apple, who are at pains to point out how carefully and lovingly they craft every tiny experience, wouldn't have realised that and not released it at that size.

5-5.2" is the sweet spot IMO. smaller than 5" starts to feel pretty small. So for me at least neither iphone is ideal - the 6S feels too small, and the 6S+ is just a little unwieldy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow I never knew people found the plus model "unwieldy". The 6 plus is super comfortable to me and I can't ever go back to a 6 or even worse the 5 size. They feel like little toys.
That's good to hear. I'm going from a 5s to a 6s+ and all this unwieldy talk scares me a little.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
5.5" is too big, mainly for pockets. I have gigantic hands so the size in general is ok but I prefer 4.7" just for the fact it fits in my pockets better.

All my chinos, jeans and joggers are slim fit and the Plus fits inside the pockets completely and comfortably. Ball and gym shorts are the only things that have the corner poking out a bit.

I've got big hands so the phone is pretty much perfect for my palm.

I have a 6+ and could never see myself going to a smaller screen size, I guess unless Apple stopped offering the 5.5" screen. Fits perfectly fine in my pockets, and I find it nice to use. I can use it one handed about 95% of the time. I'm also 6'2" and I don't wear skinny jeans so my pockets tend to be big enough to accommodate something like the 6+.

My 6S Plus should be shipping on the 24th, according to T-Mobile. I also have overnight shipping, so if I'm lucky, I'll have it on release date.

Mortemis

Banned
Finally got my tracking # from T-Mobile. I kept on hearing a bunch of T-Mobile people got theirs already so I was a bit nervous.

AdanVC

Holy damn. Now I'm thinking about upgrading to 6s just when I said I will stay with the 6 for a few years but that 12mp camera is so damn tempting... I honestly don't care about the other new features.

Any advice on carriers? Currently got an unlimited plan at sprint paying 94 bucks a month. Does tmobile or AT&T offer cheaper plans? Btw I got no trouble with service.

When I receive my 6S plus, I'm thinking of giving it a whirl and then possibly swapping for a 6S if I don't like lugging it around.
I'm 6 feet but my hands are only slightly larger than average.

EmiPrime

4" 6 mini? lolno

5.5" is an excellent screen size - anything below that feels like a toy to me now. I shudder to think of a 4" phone. I think future plus models (starting with the 7) will be better designed ergonomically, now that the Plus has proven it's here to stay.

I also agree that the phones could stand to be a little thicker in the name of battery.

You may shudder to think that but there are a lot of people out there still using a 4S who are very apprehensive about upgrading to a much bigger phone than they are used to and are now trapped between picking a model with bad battery life and one that is enormous and more expensive.

I like 5" phones but I believe there would have been a big demand for a 4" 6S mini with an A8.

I have a 6+ and could never see myself going to a smaller screen size, I guess unless Apple stopped offering the 5.5" screen. Fits perfectly fine in my pockets, and I find it nice to use. I can use it one handed about 95% of the time. I'm also 6'2" and I don't wear skinny jeans so my pockets tend to be big enough to accommodate something like the 6+.

Same. I always thought big phones were awful, but I had an Xperia Z3 before my 6+ and now I can never go back to a smaller phone. Old iPhones look weird to me now. I'm also pretty tall (6'3'') and have big hands, so I have no issues using a larger phone.

My fucking carrier store better not be selling the phone I preordered and paid for to someone else before mine is sent out.

Right? Seems kinda cruel. Though I'd understand if they allot a certain flat number of phones for retailers to sell that's separate from their supplies for online orders.

subrock

Well well well, look who just got his shipment notification. This might be the first iPhone since the 5 that I actually get on launch day. iPhone 6s+, space grey, apple store Canada, 12:09am

edit: fuck it was just my case

MisterR

Any advice on carriers? Currently got an unlimited plan at sprint paying 94 bucks a month. Does tmobile or AT&T offer cheaper plans? Btw I got no trouble with service.

My wife and I are switching from AT&T to T-Mobile and it's saving us about 30 bucks a month.

RDreamer

Right? Seems kinda cruel. Though I'd understand if they allot a certain flat number of phones for retailers to sell that's separate from their supplies for online orders.

That's way more than kinda cruel in my opinion. I can't imagine another scenario where people would be ok with a company holding stock back from people who have paid to sell to other people. They're essentially selling my phone to someone else.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
how are monthly bills at tmobile?

I have 2 lines with them; one for me and one for my wife.

Each line has truly unlimited everything. I use 50gb per month and my wife uses 30gb on average. Neither of us has seen throttling on this plan.

We are on the Jump on Demand program which lets us swap phones 3 times a year at no charge. Hell we got the new iPhones and a capacity upgrade for $0 extra than what we were spending with our iPhone 6.

Our bill is $150 per month after all taxes, fees, and phone installments. That is with one line having an iPhone 6S and one having a 6s+.

Aurizen

that's pretty good.

how are monthly bills at tmobile?

T-Mobile simple choice are pretty straight forward unlimited Talk and Text and unlimited data is $20 extra. I'm on a family plan with 2 other people where I am the only one with unlimited data and our bill is 110 without tax.

Can anyone recommend some jeans with big pockets? Seems the plus won't be fitting in any of mine :(

You too aren't alone I wonder the same.

Top Bottom