• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

br3wnor

Since it doesn't seem like we're getting an SE refresh this year, what's everyone's plan? I have a 64gb I bought 6ish months ago ("downgraded" from 6s+) and I'm debating buying another new one before the end of the year and keeping it in storage until this one completely craps out. I have no use for any screen bigger than 4", this is basically my perfect phone and I hope Apple keeps updating it as time goes on but I'm gonna hold onto this model for as long as I can.

NandoGip

Since it doesn't seem like we're getting an SE refresh this year, what's everyone's plan? I have a 64gb I bought 6ish months ago ("downgraded" from 6s+) and I'm debating buying another new one before the end of the year and keeping it in storage until this one completely craps out. I have no use for any screen bigger than 4", this is basically my perfect phone and I hope Apple keeps updating it as time goes on but I'm gonna hold onto this model for as long as I can.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a jailbreak (assuming you're at the most recent update) so that you can extend the life of the device through tweaks and etc.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just noticed online that the iPhone SE storage has been doubled to 32GB and 128GB respectively. I was just about to buy one about six weeks back; glad I waited it out.

iPhone SE, the most powerful phone with a four-inch display, will be available beginning Friday, March 24, in 32GB and 128GB models, doubling the current capacity and replacing 16GB and 64GB models, all at the same starting price of $399 (US)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...Phone-7-Plus-PRODUCT-RED-Special-Edition.html

Just noticed online that the iPhone SE storage has been doubled to 32GB and 128 respectively. I was just about to buy one about six weeks back; glad I waited it out.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...Phone-7-Plus-PRODUCT-RED-Special-Edition.html
Damn. I bought mine in December, so its been a few months, and I literally needed to upgrade (my 5C's battery wound up "exploding" a few weeks after upgrade), but I still wish I could have waited.

Worse for my girlfriend - she upgraded a few weeks back.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Damn. I bought mine in December, so its been a few months, and I literally needed to upgrade (my 5C's battery wound up "exploding" a few weeks after upgrade), but I still wish I could have waited.

Worse for my girlfriend - she upgraded a few weeks back.

Might want to check the return policy on the phone...most places is 14 days but if it happens to be 30 you might be eligible to return it for the better model.

Replacing my "launch" iPhone 5c from Sept 2013. It's finally starting to feel a bit long in the tooth. Hopefully I can get just as much life out of the SE, if not longer.

Edit: Anyone have a favorite iPhone SE case? I've been alternating between various colors of Apple's official iPhone 5c case since launch and I love how simple and sturdy it is. I'm thinking of moving to one of their leather cases for the SE unless someone can recommend me something similar to the official 5c case. It's a soft rubber without feeling cheap.. Any thoughts?

Might want to check the return policy on the phone...most places is 14 days but if it happens to be 30 you might be eligible to return it for the better model.

Replacing my "launch" iPhone 5c from Sept 2013. It's finally starting to feel a bit long in the tooth. Hopefully I can get just as much life out of the SE, if not longer.
I'll ask her when exactly she got hers. She bought it from Apple directly though, at a physical Apple Store, paid in full. Do you happen to know their policy offhand?

Edit: Anyone have a favorite iPhone SE case? I've been alternating between various colors of Apple's official iPhone 5c case since launch and I love how simple and sturdy it is. I'm thinking of moving to one of their leather cases for the SE unless someone can recommend me something similar to the official 5c case. It's a soft rubber without feeling cheap.. Any thoughts?
I got the simple leather one from Apple. Nice but expensive.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'll ask her when exactly she got hers. She bought it from Apple directly though, at a physical Apple Store, paid in full. Do you happen to know their policy offhand?

http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

The website says 14 days, but I'd still stop by one day and ask if in person. They may make an exception for you since it's so close to a new model and since it's technically an exchange instead of a straight-up return. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Blackhead

Redarse
mmm... sold my iphone se as I was hoping for an upgraded version with 3d touch. not sure what to buy now. none of the devices really appeal to me

Chittagong

Gold Member
SE is such a great phone. I've had iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S Plus and now iPhone SE. It's by far the best size, best design, best performance. Camera is worse, but everything else is top notch.

BigDes

Was hoping to see a new se, could do with one as a secondary phone.

I mean the current one is still great but it's a bit disappointing it's not getting a full refresh. Wonder if it's on a two year cycle

MercuryLS3

SE is such a great phone. I've had iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S Plus and now iPhone SE. It's by far the best size, best design, best performance. Camera is worse, but everything else is top notch.

I have a iPhone 7 but I'm going back to the SE. I love the design and form factor, regret upgrading.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a iPhone 7 but I'm going back to the SE. I love the design and form factor, regret upgrading.
I have both a 7+ and an SE. I only use the 7+ when I go on holiday thanks to the far superior camera. Otherwise, I prefer the SE.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Picked up Apple's leather case with my iPhone SE last Thursday but I can't help but feel it that it wouldn't offer a whole lot of impact protection. Looked at a local Wal-Mart's selection last night but it was mostly those ugly Otterbox cases. Gonna check out Best Buy tonight and maybe the Apple Store as well--I'll probably just exchange it for something else.

Edit: In my 7 years of iPhone ownership I've yet to break an iPhone, so knock on wood there, but I still feel better about having a little something around the edges were something to happen. One of the biggest things I miss about my iPhone 5c was the cases Apple made for it. Really nice feeling silicone that wasn't huge but offered decent drop protection.

daxy

Picked up Apple's leather case with my iPhone SE last Thursday but I can't help but feel it that it wouldn't offer a whole lot of impact protection. Looked at a local Wal-Mart's selection last night but it was mostly those ugly Otterbox cases. Gonna check out Best Buy tonight and maybe the Apple Store as well--I'll probably just exchange it for something else.

Edit: In my 7 years of iPhone ownership I've yet to break an iPhone, so knock on wood there, but I still feel better about having a little something around the edges were something to happen. One of the biggest things I miss about my iPhone 5c was the cases Apple made for it. Really nice feeling silicone that wasn't huge but offered decent drop protection.

You're in luck, I think? Apple's rubber cases for the 5S will also fit the SE. Minus the circular design on the back, they're the exact same afaik.

Maybe a stupid question but I'm guessing it's safe to update to the latest iOS? I know the new file system is more efficient and hear the update has snappier animations to speed up phone use, anyone found any negatives?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My iPhone SE apparently can have more apps open at a time, which is great, but it's at the cost of games not closing and thus I'm missing out on daily launch rewards.

Throwing it out there to anybody considering this phone. Currently AT&T is selling it as a GoPhone option for $199. They only offer the 32GB model in Space Gray. When you add to cart you can remove the Top-Off card and the monthly payment plan will not get charged so long as you do not use the SIM card in the phone.
https://www.att.com/cellphones/iphone/iphone-se-prepaid.html#sku=sku8260700

From what I have read on Slickdeals.net you can get it unlocked to work on T-Mobile or Verizon by making sure you do not turn on the phone when you receive it and then request an unlock code from AT&T. If you do turn it on with the SIM card inside it locks to AT&T and will then require 6 months usage to unlock.

Blackhead

Redarse
Switching to an iPhone SE | April 17, 2017

mjtsai said:
The volume and power buttons on my iPhone 6s stopped working, so for various reasons I decided to try replacing it with an iPhone SE. It’s been great.

The iPhone SE is much more comfortable...

What I thought I would miss the most from the iPhone 6s were the better Touch ID sensor (which seems both faster and more accurate) and 3D Touch (for text editing). In fact, I miss these but am getting used to their absence...

my hope is that in the future Apple will treat it as more than a budget model. I’d like to see it updated yearly...

emag

I'm pretty confident the SE is a one-off, like the 5c was. Maybe there will be a spec bump in 2018/2019 if Apple can't offer a cheap/small enough model of the all new iPhone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm pretty confident the SE is a one-off, like the 5c was. Maybe there will be a spec bump in 2018/2019 if Apple can't offer a cheap/small enough model of the all new iPhone.
Definitely. The SE will be replaced with another fancy small iPhone. Unless they eventually finally streamline the product line to have all three sizes in the same case design. The SE, like the 5C before it, was designed as an afterthought to fill the 4" gap Apple didn't know they needed to fill. Once they start actually designing their new cases to account for all three sizes, they'll replace it.

Before then, yeah, maybe there'll be an SE with new colors and a more 7-like processor inside.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Dropped my iPhone SE for this first time this morning while juggling shopping bags coming out of a Walgreens. No broken screen but the metal band as a few nice chunks taken out of it in the lower left corner. Pretty fuckin' bummed as this is the first time I've managed to damage any of my iPhones since ownership of the iPhone 4.

Pretty much confirms that the Apple leather case has little to no drop protection as I expected. Gonna try to exchange it tonight even though I'm about a week out of the return policy.Also buying Applecare tomorrow when my credit card cycle rolls over.

tommyguns

Bought an iPhone SE 32 Gb space grey through ATT on Sunday. (through go phone so it is locked to ATT, unless you go third party route.) The phone is in perfect mint condition and was only used yesterday.

I have decided against it and seeing if anyone would like to purchase it for cost (200+tax and shipping) before I return it. If I return they take 45 off for restocking fee, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks!

Blackhead

Redarse
Possible Leak Suggests Next iPhone SE or iPhone 7s Could Have Strengthened Ion-X Glass Display
PmcdMqh.jpg
Yes please. Apple is leaving money on the table if they don't make a new 4" phone

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Possible Leak Suggests Next iPhone SE or iPhone 7s Could Have Strengthened Ion-X Glass Display

Yes please. Apple is leaving money on the table if they don't make a new 4" phone
They wouldn't abandon the 4" now. Too many people still want them. They're here to stay until people stop buying them.

Whether they'll start releasing their major phones in all three sizes in the future or just continue releasing a separately designed 4" every two years is to be determined though. I mean where do you go from the retro 5S case design? Would make more sense to start designing the 4" to match the 4.7" and 5.5" cases from now on. Even if they only update the 4" with every other case change.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
They wouldn't abandon the 4" now. Too many people still want them. They're here to stay until people stop buying them.

Whether they'll start releasing their major phones in all three sizes in the future or just continue releasing a separately designed 4" every two years is to be determined though. I mean where do you go from the retro 5S case design? Would make more sense to start designing the 4" to match the 4.7" and 5.5" cases from now on. Even if they only update the 4" with every other case change.

Only a hunch but I think the Anniversary Design will migrate across all the models, and that's when they will drop the numbering and just have an iPhone family in the different sizes.

I think that was the plan for this year, but the problems they are having with the new design scrapped that. Now it's a case of whether they can make it for 2018.

Rourkey

I love my SE, they only thing that grates is the people who say "oh you have an old phone you always have the latest iPhone"

It's not a money thing work pays for what ever phone I want I just prefer the form factor

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I prefer 4" phones, but I really want the SE to be up-to-date with designs and technology instead of being a generation behind. I suppose there's only so much they can do at the lower pricepoint and smaller volume, so things like a processor that's a gen old are fine with me, but it would be nice if it got the edge-to-edge display at the very least AND launched simultaneously.

I suspect it gets announced without that stuff and around WWDC, though.

jts

...hate me...
I mean I don't know about the size but the iPhone SE is by far the best looking phone Apple sells. My friend has one and I keep feeling jelly.

I want to go smaller than my 6s+ but 4" might be too small. 4.7" would be what I wanted but if a new SE kept the same design (and added 3D touch) and the 7s or 8 kept being roundy things, I'd go for a new SE.

alterego

I mean I don't know about the size but the iPhone SE is by far the best looking phone Apple sells. My friend has one and I keep feeling jelly.

I want to go smaller than my 6s+ but 4" might be too small. 4.7" would be what I wanted but if a new SE kept the same design (and added 3D touch) and the 7s or 8 kept being roundy things, I'd go for a new SE.

I went from a 64GB 6S Plus to a 16GB 5S (yes 5S) and I'm loving it.

The 5S is still a perfectly usable phone and fits so nicely in my hand. It's nearly half the weight of the Plus; first couple of days after the switch I kept thinking my pocket was empty.

I'd like to get a year out of this and save the SE as my upgrade path.

iPhones I've had: 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6S Plus, 5S

jts

...hate me...
I went from a 64GB 6S Plus to a 16GB 5S (yes 5S) and I'm loving it.

The 5S is still a perfectly usable phone and fits so nicely in my hand. It's nearly half the weight of the Plus; first couple of days after the switch I kept thinking my pocket was empty.

I'd like to get a year out of this and save the SE as my upgrade path.

iPhones I've had: 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6S Plus, 5S
Interesting.

I see so many people tired of the + size (including myself). I wonder if the trend will ever reflect that after everyone goes through their "phablet" in a way or the other.

Can't hate on a 5s but the main reason why I wouldn't consider it is the same for current SE: lack of 3D touch. I really like 3D touch and wouldn't go back willingly.

SpartanN92

Banned
FYI Verizon customers...

This weekend only the iPhone SE is anywhere from $3-$6 a month cheaper depending on the model.

That puts the 16gb at ~$13 per month

The 64GB model was the original spec at launch. Now you get double the storage (128GB) for the same price.

Why does GAF get so triggered by Apple products?

oh wait, because geek machismo

The sweet spot always changes as well. The sweet spot is whatever Apple isn't offering at that moment

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just upgraded my wife from an xperia M4 to an SE. Only had rose gold availble and she wanted normal gold. But overally for £4 per month more thats a decent deal.

Whats a good slim case that'll cover the 'horrible' pink and give a little face-lip to protect the screen? Also interested if there are any particularly good tempered glass protectors

Karg

just upgraded my wife from an xperia M4 to an SE. Only had rose gold availble and she wanted normal gold. But overally for £4 per month more thats a decent deal.

Whats a good slim case that'll cover the 'horrible' pink and give a little face-lip to protect the screen? Also interested if there are any particularly good tempered glass protectors

Got one from these guys

https://www.carved.com/

It's held up surprisingly well. Has the little lip on front and has saved me on a few drops.

DavidDesu

Wow, I really hope the rumours are true that the SE-2 will be possibly getting released alongside the iPhone 8, or even that they will all be part of the same design, just in three size variants. I have an S7 currently and will have paid off my contract by next March and the SE is along the lines of what I want. Want pocketable, true one handed operation, great performance and battery life.

I really hope they can refine the SE. Will be awesome if it can use the same size but fit in an edge to edge screen. That would make the screen a great size without being too much. A better camera module would be appreciated, I'd rather not take a step down from the S7, hopefully. Other than that make it work as fast as the SE demo units I've tried in Apple Stores and let the battery last a full day as I believe the SE does (smaller lower res screen being the main reason I think) and I will jump on that as soon as I'm out of my contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom