• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There's an "Add to my Music"-Button but nothing to add the song to a playlist or something.

LyKxUfl.jpg

edit: Oh, you have to open the whole playlist and when all the songs are listed you can click the "..." button and add that song to a playlist.

yeah........... I JUST figured this out last night also (my previous info was for iOS where this is not a problem)

absolutely silly... "The '...' menu some places let's you add songs to playlists, but in other places doesn, because reasons..."

ugh. I was putting together some Billboard Top 25 lists from the 80s, and every single one had to do what we are talking about. Search for song, then say "View Song", then add to playlist, because add to playlist was arbitrarily missing.

FWIW, in doing this, the superiority of Apple Music to Spotify popped up again. Song from Top 25 1988 missing from Apple Music? No problem. Add it either from your collection or buy it from iTunes for a complete Playlist.

Future

Before apple music, I would synch playlists on my phone to make sure the music I want was there. Recently I noticed some of these songs are no longer on my phone

Open up Itunes and now I find that there are no options to synch playlists at all anymore. It looks like its just deciding to synch a random assortment of songs now for offline use? There are no options anywhere to decide what to synch. Some songs in my library labeled as "ineligible" for iCloud also become ineligible for even appearing on my phone at all!

After searching online, it looks like the only way to guarantee songs appear on my phone is to turn off Cloud Music library on my phone. Doing that supposedly adds back the old menu where I can synch playlists again. So either I can take advantage of playing songs it decides are eligible via iCloud, OR synch the songs I want, that I own, on my iPhone

This is like strike 6 in Apple Music bullshit. The purge begins now, starting with disabling iCloud Library on my phone.

Edit: The worst of it is its hard to even tell this is happening. I'd never known a song was missing if I didnt explicitly search and see it not there. I have like 10,000 songs...am I supposed to look at each one and determine / fix issues with synching? Ridiculous

borghe

future -

iCloud Music Library is supposed to be all (or nothing). Nothing is "synced" per se... Your library is the same on all devices/PCs.

One thing to mention again (it really should go in the thread title) is to double check if you have Show Songs Available Offline turned on on your phone. This absolutely sounds like possibly your issue, and would lead to the seeming randomness. I definitely find that my downloaded songs on my phone are pretty random (I had Match prior to Music). Usually what I bought directly from my phone, along with just stuff here and there.

Hit the menu shown below and see if that's toggled. If it's on, turn it off and you should see all of your music and playlists.

Things showing ineligible won't come up. The most common cause of Ineligible are too large of files. Music and Match have a file size limit of 200MB. So if you have 1:00:00 plus live tracks and stuff that end up over 200MB, you'll need to split them first before they will upload to Music. You don't have to break them up to individual tracks.. Just split the file enough to get both parts under 200MB.

musicoffline.jpg

Future

future -

iCloud Music Library is supposed to be all (or nothing). Nothing is "synced" per se... Your library is the same on all devices/PCs.

One thing to mention again (it really should go in the thread title) is to double check if you have Show Songs Available Offline turned on on your phone. This absolutely sounds like possibly your issue, and would lead to the seeming randomness. I definitely find that my downloaded songs on my phone are pretty random (I had Match prior to Music). Usually what I bought directly from my phone, along with just stuff here and there.

Hit the menu shown below and see if that's toggled. If it's on, turn it off and you should see all of your music and playlists.

Things showing ineligible won't come up. The most common cause of Ineligible are too large of files. Music and Match have a file size limit of 200MB. So if you have 1:00:00 plus live tracks and stuff that end up over 200MB, you'll need to split them first before they will upload to Music. You don't have to break them up to individual tracks.. Just split the file enough to get both parts under 200MB.

musicoffline.jpg

My ineligible song is not long. It's just....ineligible. There are also more songs that have the "waiting" in the iCloud tab that never change to any other status. A random assortment of these songs and all the ineligible songs are just not on my phone now.

For example, i have Prince's 1999 song. In iTunes, iCloud Status is "Waiting." On my phone, I see it in the playlist but its greyed out. The song is located on my pc but I can no longer get it onto the damn phone! Before Apple Music, I'd select playlists that I want to synch and they would be guaranteed to appear on the phone without waiting for servers or whatever else

The iPhone is pretty good at showing you which songs are physically on the device, and I can see all my "icloud" lists that are my entire library. What seems horrible is gymnastics I need to do to get an mp3 from my computer onto the phone. People use to complain in the past that they hated having to use iTunes to get music on their phones. Now I am using iTunes and STILL cannot do it with the new cloud library overlord determining what can and cannot be synched. What is especially frustrating is the fact that I have been using iTunes to do this since before iPhone. I can't believe they fucked it up

On a side note thank you for your responses. Helpful in understanding what is going on

Not to dogpile on too much, but the whole Apple Music experience really is a shit show. I probably should have expected as much given how bad iTunes has become over the years, but they really outdid themselves here. I've experienced all the issues people are griping about, none more frustrating than my personal music collection getting jacked up by their match service.

I realize this is free until September and Apple could theoretically turn things around, but there's more bad than good here. I'm firmly back in the Spotify camp...not even using the free service. If this wasn't included by default on iOS devices I don't see how it would catch on. DOA.

borghe

My ineligible song is not long. It's just....ineligible. There are also more songs that have the "waiting" in the iCloud tab that never change to any other status. A random assortment of these songs and all the ineligible songs are just not on my phone now.
Note, I mentioned length, but the upload limit is strictly size. 200MB. So check the size. Beyond that is format. Not sure if Match/Music upload support EVERY format/bitrate iPhone does. Are the ineligible songs Apple Lossless? Super high bitrate? Anything at all different about them?

Waiting is a different story and just annoying. Delete the song from iCloud/library (NOT FROM DISK!!!) and add it again. Yeah, after a certain period of time on importing, ITunes just seems to forget about songs that are stuck on waiting and you can't force them. But after adding them back a couple of times they should Match or upload just fine.

If you could post details on the ineligible files. Ineligible is usually not some stupid iTunes thing. There are a few rules Match/Music have for uploads so you just have to figure out what rules those files are hitting.

KingKong

Has anyone else been adding music to their library experienced crazy freezing in the app? (I'm on iPhone 6 and latest version and tried restarting the phone already)

What happens is any time I add an album to my music collection, the entire app (except the song playing) completely freezes for like 30 seconds. I thought it might be because I'm auto-following artists, but I turned that off and it's still happening. Sometimes that happens just when I open an album or it switches tracks. It's definitely not my phone because everything else is running smoothly (including Spotify). It seems to run fine if I'm just playing a playlist/searching and playing a song/listening to the radio

I think if I was an Apple employee tasked with integrating Apple Music into iTunes, I would have quit on the spot. iTunes is barely functional at the moment, I seriously don't understand what the user journey is meant to be. There's at least two sets of tabs, one for content types and one for music 'sections'.

When you go into a section like "Radio" or whatever, navigate off the front page, then switch tabs, when you go back to the original section you're back on the page you left. This would make sense to a developer but sometimes it's been weeks since you were in that tab, and the way to get back to the front page is by clicking the tab again.

The seriously need to start this thing from the ground up, as a UX developer who until recently took a lot of inspiration from Apple, it is an absolute embarrassment.

They're likely (hopefully) doing what they did with the new iOS 7 look, photos app etc. and bringing the new Apps to OS X after they've launched them on iOS.

Really hoping we get a ground up music app with 10.12, don't know what they do about Windows though.

number11

Just noticed that if you force upload a track by changing it's tags.. Once you fix the tags to what they were originally, iTunes will still eventually match the track to their iTunes version.

I think I'm done even trying to get my local files onto Apple Music.

borghe

Just noticed that if you force upload a track by changing it's tags.. Once you fix the tags to what they were originally, iTunes will still eventually match the track to their iTunes version.

I think I'm done even trying to get my local files onto Apple Music.

change the tags back where? If you change the tags in the file I guess I could maybe see this happening (but would be bugged still). If you change the tags in the service (i.e. delete the local copy of the file after it's uploaded), I am not sure how it could match it..

number11

change the tags back where? If you change the tags in the file I guess I could maybe see this happening (but would be bugged still). If you change the tags in the service (i.e. delete the local copy of the file after it's uploaded), I am not sure how it could match it..

I have a few albums where a live track or demo is matched with the album version.

If I delete 'Track1' from iCloud, I can force upload it by changing the name to Track1bdkdn. If change the tag back to Track1 in iTunes, the song will revert from being uploaded back to being matched.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's getting annoying but hilarious, that everytime I see the 'For You' tab in iTunes, I either hear it in my head or have to say it out loud in this guys voice:

Ashhong

How can I remove my songs from Apple Cloud without deleting them from my PC? I want to create a separate iTunes library for Apple Music stuff, and in order to do that, I need to remove what I've already "uploaded".

Ok it's been more than a month. There should be a poll of who liked Apple Music and who doesn't.

"For You" section has been awesome and I like listening to Beats1 once in a while.

The only thing I'd change is that there should be a separate section for saved albums from my music. Singles, individual songs and full albums shouldn't all be lumped together. Spotify does a good job at giving albums its own section so it's not so messy

Kinsella

Banned
Ok it's been more than a month. There should be a poll of who liked Apple Music and who doesn't.
I'll keep muy subscription for two more months and then I'm gone. It's sad that it's even worse than Tidal. They get so many of the basics just completely wrong. Spotify is by no means prefect but it works perfectly every time I use it. And it's supported by PS4. If a service can't do that, I have little interest in paying for it.

Ashhong

Ok, so my biggest complaint was that I wanted to be able to use Apple Music while not having to upload my own music to the cloud.

My solution today was to remove my music from the cloud, and create a new iTunes library to sync with Apple Music and my iPhone. So now I have physical files from iTunes library 1, and I have Apple Music files on iTunes library 2.

If I sync my iPhone with the physical files from library 1, and then turn on iCloud Music, everything is gravy. However the issue I'm running into is that if I try to sync music with library 1 again after that, stupid ass iTunes deletes ALL of my physical files from my phone, and only leaves the iCloud music. In iTunes, I get a message saying "iCloud Music Library is On" and that i can access iCloud Music Library. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how they are handling this stupid ass service?

Ridiculous. I think the only solution would be to turn off iCloud Music every time on my iPhone before syncing to my iTunes. It's not a big deal since I don't sync too often anyway. Just dumb.

I like it enough to pay for it. Favorite part is the For You section and hoping the Cloud Music Library improves in the future. Beats 1 is pretty good too.

Going to use Spotify for PS4 and at work (free) and Apple Music on phone/tablet for commutes.

I would love my music library to be kept 100% separate from Apple Music.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201596

So what I did was kept my original iTunes library (with lossless/high-res files) separate from Apple Music by creating another library for just Apple Music. The original library does not have iCloud Music Library enabled while the Library for Apple Music does. I know Ashhong is doing this too but still trying to sync music on his phone directly.

What I do is I only add music from the Apple Music service and within the Apple Music library, uploading/matching music that isn't available on the service. This way I can try to get close to having my entire library on all my devices and keep a separate library where the files stay on my hard drive untouched.

Ashhong

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201596

So what I did was kept my original iTunes library (with lossless/high-res files) separate from Apple Music by creating another library for just Apple Music. The original library does not have iCloud Music Library enabled while the Library for Apple Music does. I know Ashhong is doing this too but still trying to sync music on his phone directly.

What I do is I only add music from the Apple Music service and within the Apple Music library, uploading/matching music that isn't available on the service. This way I can try to get close to having my entire library on all my devices and keep a separate library where the files stay on my hard drive untouched.

So your second library, is it a copy of your first? If not, how do you still get your entire library on your iPhone if the first one is not linked to Apple Music?

So your second library, is it a copy of your first? If not, how do you still get your entire library on your iPhone if the first one is not linked to Apple Music?

Not a copy. I started off blank. I realized most of the music I already had were already on Apple Music's service, so I just add them when I think of them. It's a little tedious pressing the ... button to add to My Music, but I wasn't in a hurry to have everything all at once. Also when I looked up something that wasn't on the service, that's when I'd copy the files from the original library to the my Apple Music library on iTunes and upload from there. Usually shows up on my phone right after available for streaming.

My first couple of hours I knew it didn't have The Beatles, Tool, Prince, etc. so I added those first, searched for artists that I like and added albums from them. (Metallica is my favorite band, so I just searched Metallica, looked up the albums and added). There's quite a few steps, wish it was as easy as having a + on the artist page for all the albums to get it added quick but it's not too bad if you just add as you think of it.

Anyways, not the greatest solution, but it works for me. I noticed when I tried matching with my own music some tracks were matched, others were uploaded and depending on the version they give me, the volume levels were different and it annoyed me.

Number45

Yeah, I actually separated the libraries out before I started but it's clumsy - I'd like to have everything in one place.

I tried Amazon Prime music earlier (because it's just been made a part of my Prime service, so why not) and while the client seems decent enough the selection available is horrible. If they improve that (and improve it a lot) I might very well look at using that instead as I'm already effectively paying for the service.

Ashhong

Not a copy. I started off blank. I realized most of the music I already had were already on Apple Music's service, so I just add them when I think of them. It's a little tedious pressing the ... button to add to My Music, but I wasn't in a hurry to have everything all at once. Also when I looked up something that wasn't on the service, that's when I'd copy the files from the original library to the my Apple Music library on iTunes and upload from there. Usually shows up on my phone right after available for streaming.

My first couple of hours I knew it didn't have The Beatles, Tool, Prince, etc. so I added those first, searched for artists that I like and added albums from them. (Metallica is my favorite band, so I just searched Metallica, looked up the albums and added). There's quite a few steps, wish it was as easy as having a + on the artist page for all the albums to get it added quick but it's not too bad if you just add as you think of it.

Anyways, not the greatest solution, but it works for me. I noticed when I tried matching with my own music some tracks were matched, others were uploaded and depending on the version they give me, the volume levels were different and it annoyed me.

Ah that makes sense. I guess I could do that as well, since I don't add much music onto my phone anyway. Not a bad idea.

I was really excited because I thought I figured out a solution by syncing physical files from one library and then using Apple Music with the other. Looked on my phone today and it still matched the songs on my phone to it's service and changed the cover art. Boo Apple, BOOOOO

KtSlime

Damn this software is really making me upset. I switch to my American iTunes account to update some of my apps and it removes all the songs I added to my library and now won't play shit. I wish international users weren't treated like crap.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Funny. I just thought to come in this thread and share my opinion of the service a month later and then I happen to see this post!

I'm still loving it. However, they need to address the buggy iOS app and some bizarre design choices to the desktop app.

I love being able to download and listen to as much as I want and I like being able to add curated playlists to my own collection. It's all just seemless.

I've noticed recently that is possible to change the artwork of Match songs, songs from Apple Music etc.

Since day 1 of iTunes match it was very difficult to reset the artwork to a matched song... it would just flick back to the artwork that was present when it was matched.

Guess they changed something on the back end that was forcing the artwork.

Yeah changing artwork is possible and quite necessary. Some of the album artwork is quite bad.

Elliott Smith's Either/or looks like ass. Weezer's blue album is the wrong shade of blue. 311's Down looks like they scanned a used copy

Top Bottom