• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I love the service, but even I know when I'm fighting a lost cause. Apple Music has serious problem, both image and functionally, and they need to both fix it AND give a public apology. I mean it's a paid service so frankly even that won't be enough. They are going to need to give out free time.

The worst part is that when it works, like for me coming from Match, the entire experience is nearly blissful (with minor bugs here and there). But man, I can't even imagine cases like some people where they're losing songs (though cmon people....... Backup your shit.....)

KtSlime

I've been using it since it came out, and on a technology level it seems okay, when the service is working songs come up instantly and are nicely presented, quality seems good enough, but there are some frustrating things. For instance I have no idea how the + works, I click on it and it turns into a check for a second and so I click on it again and a again, some times I search for something and it returns the wrong result, there are no curators for Japanese or Korean music, it's all focused on the west. And 4/5ths of the popular music is not on the service. I have both a Japanese and American account, and while the Japanese account has a better selection it is missing most of the currently popular bands and songs. There is a list of the top 10 searches, and on average only 2 of them return results. The rest just empty artist pages. It's quite sad.

I'll keep checking to see if they get their act together but at the moment LINE music is superior in selection.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/behind-the-boards-diplo/idpl.e34885e66aa648eaa3a6b45b26a9b203

This is one reason why I like apple music, it has playlists like these. So nifty

Oh yeah I saw a similar one but it was alternative rock re: Butch Vig

Listen to Behind the Boards: Butch Vig by Apple Music Alternative on @AppleMusic.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/behind-the-boards-butch-vig/idpl.70c74ff9ec504592ad561c4f217e25c1

Here's another cool one from Washed Out.
Listen to Lazy Afternoon Mix by Washed Out on @AppleMusic.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/lazy-afternoon-mix/idpl.e7167e2f6bab42359df99544a0b1a7dc

Apple Music definitely has issues, hopefully they are fixed. They're in it for the long haul.

I like the For You and playlist sections. Enjoying the service. I created a separate library to avoid issues (and shortly will do a backup and try out matching everything.

The @Connect while rudimentary for now, seems like it has potential. I check it out daily for some updates.

Trust in Trent Reznor that issues will be ironed out.

Ashhong

I would absolutely love the service if I could just separate Apple Music and my music. I don't want my music in the cloud, getting fucked up.

I like the For You and playlist sections. Enjoying the service. I created a separate library to avoid issues (and shortly will do a backup and try out matching everything.

How does this work exactly? I have an iTunes library for my physical music onto my iPhone, and then I have another Library for AM? Will I see both sets of libraries on my phone together?

I would absolutely love the service if I could just separate Apple Music and my music. I don't want my music in the cloud, getting fucked up.

How does this work exactly? I have an iTunes library for my physical music onto my iPhone, and then I have another Library for AM? Will I see both sets of libraries on my phone together?

For my main iTunes library, I have iCloud Music Library checked off. It's where I store my whole collection (lossless)

Hold Shift (PC) or Option (Mac) when opening iTunes and it will give you options to create a new library. For my Apple Music Library I have iCloud Music Library checked. I've selectively added music to upload/match when I see it's not available on the service like The Beatles, Tool, Street Fighter soundtracks, etc. With iCloud Music Library checked on iTunes and on the iPhone and iPad it syncs up pretty well and I leave my main library alone. You can delete the tracks from your Apple Music iTunes library (but leave in the cloud) so it doesn't take up hard drive space.

To switch back, just hold shift again when opening iTunes and choose the other library.

I've found this to be pretty ideal for my needs as most of my music is already on Apple Music and I just add music from there. I wasn't in a rush to have my entire collection added immediately so I added a bunch in the beginning of what I frequently listen to and then adding more when I'm in the mood.

As long as your "main" library has iCloud Music Library checked off it won't show up on your phone.

Quasar

iTunes Match didn't have anywhere near the problems here.. important differences with iTunes Match (a subscriber since literally day one)

iTunes Match, your metadata is king. period. album art, metadata, play counts, etc.. Sadly even my goofed up (my fault) volume normalization data was carried over to match (which I really have to fix one of these days... but again, my fault..)

A big problem with Apple Music is that the matching seems to be "we'll go with your metadata, unless we feel our metadata is better in which case we'll go with that". This is where you're seeing zeroed play counts, bad album art, changed track orders or albums, etc.

So no, I would say Apple Music is definitely NOT using the same matching setup as iTunes Match.. Match my biggest iTunes Match problems (library of ~9000 at the time) came down to:

clean songs matched instead of explicit (probably less than 50 songs.. but not a super explicit library)

songs showing up as errorred .. needing multiple times to finally either match or upload. Maybe a couple (few?) hundred.

Well for me the issues I had with match was it matching different versions of tracks (sometimes different singers even), which I still have with Apple Music. One prominent example being where I have studio and live versions of albums, and rather than uploading the live serious that Itunes lacks it just matches it to the studio version. This continued on it AppleMusic.

Having to trick Apple's system by changing all the metadata and then getting itunes to upload the tracks and then changing it back is just too labor intensive for lots of albums

Different cover art of course.

Tracks matched with compilation albums rather than the album they came from.

Thankfully I never had any of the major issues like losing tracks.

I question the whole thing really. Is all this work Apple is trying to do worth saving some hard drive space (and upload time for people with big libraries) compared to googles approach?

blinkz

Enjoying the free trial so far, I have rediscovered a bunch of obscure albums I could never find anywhere else from the 90s which is sweet, however I noticed when I shuffle an album using apple music it always skips a few songs on the album for some reason.

I'm wavering on if it's worth the 9.99 a month in the long run.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So if I have Match already, what am I losing if I cancel and go with Music's free version of Match?

Future

It fiddling with purchased music is the worst thing. Now I'm worried that turning it off will delete songs, or that it secretly already replaced purchased songs with apple music drm versions. My mp3s never had drm... Either ripped myself or bought non drm versions. The fact that Apple music can actually touch and edit those files to be different is a travesty and honestly needs more media attention. My library of 10 plus years getting fucked without my consent

It fiddling with purchased music is the worst thing. Now I'm worried that turning it off will delete songs, or that it secretly already replaced purchased songs with apple music drm versions. My mp3s never had drm... Either ripped myself or bought non drm versions. The fact that Apple music can actually touch and edit those files to be different is a travesty and honestly needs more media attention. My library of 10 plus years getting fucked without my consent

I have noticed a lot of my cover art has been altered on my own files. Why does the cover art for Empire Strikes Back score now show The Phantom Menace?
Urgh.

I can still use the radio function even if I don't subscribe, right?

I have noticed a lot of my cover art has been altered on my own files. Why does the cover art for Empire Strikes Back score now show The Phantom Menace?
Urgh.

I can still use the radio function even if I don't subscribe, right?

Yes, radio is free. Beats 1 and the Pandora-like stations (though there are commercials if you don't subscribe to Apple Music or iTunes Match)

Edit: haven't seen the cover art issue pop up personally, but if it's not too many you can change the artwork via the get info option. Sucks that it bugged out though.

Protome

I'm done with it as well. The UI is just atrocious for actually doing anything, both on iTunes and the app. The fact I have to manually turn off all other apple services in order for Music to use my mobile data is stupid, plus the inability to actually search an artist and then play all their songs is so damn frustrating.

I think I'll give Spotify a try, I've heard good things and apparently it just "works" unlike Apple Music.

If you primarily use your phone for music, the Google Music app is better than Spotify so I'd recommend taking a look at that. Both are leagues ahead of the Apple Music app though.

Such a missed opportunity, hopefully Apple fix it over time because the playlist stuff is really cool. There are just so many basic features that are buggy, broken or just straight up unimplemented and some of the flow of the app is insane.

Things like adding an album to a new playlist (which you need to do to get around the fact that queuing albums doesn't work properly.):
- Go to album
- Hit "Add to Playlist"
- Realise you can't make a new playlist from that menu because reasons.
- Smash your phone in rage

jts

...hate me...
I'm overall really enjoying having a music subscription service (for free!) natively integrated into my Apple devices.

It has increased my joy of listening to music.

However it is definitely not without its bugs and annoyances.

To the point I think they really should have called it beta, and make it free during the beta stage, be it at least the 3 months or the time they take to make it solid.

ElyrionX

Been using it on and off since launch but the app is a complete nightmare to use especially if you already have a huge library of existing music.

Also those playlists by Apple are not fixed? Because I downloaded an entire playlist to my phone a couple of weeks ago and now the entire playlist has a bunch of new songs on it that have yet to download. How am I supposed to get rid of the songs from the old playlist that I downloaded? Go to my library and look for them one by one to delete? Wtf?

Future

After researching this shitty madness I found this article that clarified a few things for me

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-not-adding-drm-songs-your-mac-you-already-own

The article is ok but the comments are more illuminating of user issues

Even though it appears Apple Music does alter your files more aggressively, "fixing" them to add what it thinks is correct album art and such. It sounds like it doesn't do much else until you attempt to start managing your library through iTunes by "remove download" or removing from library and deleting songs. It seems like if it matched a song you have with apple music, you can accidentally delete it through itunes. If you redownload it, it may download the apple music version which has DRM

My library has duplicate Apple Music versions that have appeared in the library that are not downloaded (it saw my physical copy, had some error in matching it, and placed another Apple Music version in iTunes next to it). If I tried to fix this, I'd have to be careful not to manage it by removing my own copy, because I can never get that one back. Worse, it seems like you can innocently remove this copy and not quite realize it through the commands in iTunes

This is probably why some people havent seen many problems. If you dont delete or remove anything and let things be, you do didnt have the chance to accidentally delete your own files and have them replaced by apple music. Essentially anyone NOT tech savvy should actively avoid Apple Music or else risk making unifixable mistakes to their libraries. Calling my parents today to warn them of this so I dont get angry phonecalls later begging me to fix their shit haha

ElyrionX

Jesus christ, I just realized that a lot of my album artworks are completely fucked. What the fuck. And googling it, seems like it was a day one problem? How does something like this even happen? Will this get fixed in an update? Or do I have to fix it all manually?

Apologies if this has already been asked to death, but how do I go about actually listening to a previously aired full Beats 1 radio show besides just adding the music playlist from the particular show to my Apple Music? It seems the only way now is to find a bootleg copy online. For example I want to hear the actual hosts show content (interviews, commentary, etc) but it doesn't seem like that is possible right now.

If you have no local music it works fine, if you have a large library locally like many do, it's going to be a pain in the ass because iTunes Match is shit

best thing I did was move ALL my music to Google Music, then deleted all my local music, now Apple Music works like a dream and I just pick and chose which obscure album I want to add to it. My biggest issue with iCloud Library was that if the album was on Apple Music AND locally, it would act up (mess around with meta data, download both versions....).

Kinsella

Banned
If you primarily use your phone for music, the Google Music app is better than Spotify so I'd recommend taking a look at that. Both are leagues ahead of the Apple Music app though.

Such a missed opportunity, hopefully Apple fix it over time because the playlist stuff is really cool. There are just so many basic features that are buggy, broken or just straight up unimplemented and some of the flow of the app is insane.

Things like adding an album to a new playlist (which you need to do to get around the fact that queuing albums doesn't work properly.):
- Go to album
- Hit "Add to Playlist"
- Realise you can't make a new playlist from that menu because reasons.
- Smash your phone in rage

Pretty much. They got the most simple part of a music streaming service completely wrong. Adding music to a playlist or creating a new playlist from music you find anywhere on the service shouldn't be so difficult. How did they fail so miserably at one of the most important things you absolutely have to do right?

borghe

What would that fix? It's free now and I already stopped using it and don't want to go back. I don't want for free more of something I already don't like.

eh, but what would seriously have you come back. I mean bottom line is there are some users who simply won't come back despite fixes/improvements. Is that accurate?

My point in offering compensation is that people who want to use the service, struggle through it despite problems, etc... should be compensated accordingly. If that free extra month (with fixes) is enough to get YOU back, great. If not, there are still other people (like myself) using the service but still frustrated.

By my reckoning, here's a quick list of things that Apple can fix:

The biggest change by far is a "Fix Match" or "Force Upload" option. I 100% get why "fix match" isn't available for iTunes Match. But with Apple Music, your matched results are DRMed anyway.. So there is no way for you to "steal" anything. Let me select the right match for a botched Match, and if it's not on the service just let me force an upload.

One thing that is largely true in iTunes Match and NEEDS to be carried over to Music... Your library's metadata is king. In no way should matching/uploading EVER change the metadata from your library. No album art changes. No track order changes. No album or track title changes. etc. Funny enough, when you add songs to your library from Music, you are allowed to do anything you want with the metadata. So why is Music so determined to change it when you first import your library?

For god sake.. on iOS, fix the "pressing play resumes what you were last listening to". People are saying this is fixed in PB2/b4... I'll have to test.

Allow duplicate songs to be added. People want it. It should be there. Period. It should be my choice if I have the exact same song 4 times from the original album, two greatest hits and a movie soundtrack. I really don't feel like they are saving anyone headaches by preventing this, and causing other people additional annoyance.

Kind of along the above, for curated playlists they should REALLY do a pass once a month or so, or ask curators to do a pass, to remove those duplicate songs. You want to kill dupes, THAT is where you should be doing it. I am fine with the same song appearing on 5 different curated playlsits, but IF I DON'T WANT that song in my library now 5 different times, let me fix that.

Let me copy curated playlists. At the very least that can fix the problem above. I get not being able to edit them, and love that curated lists are living (like the A-List playlists). But let me choose to easily copy one to clean up my library.

"I don't like this suggestion" doesn't seem to do anything. Fix this.

Along those lines, give me access (at the account level even?) of songs I've done the above to, AND songs I've starred but not added to my library.

let me create a new playlist from the "Add to Playlist" menu option. I mean you actually CAN do that in iTunes (one of the areas it's actually better at). Why possibly can't you in iOS?

you know where I'm fine with forced/bad matches? When I share my playlists.. I have ~10,000 of my own personal songs in my library, and 99% of my playlists are comprised of my songs. The problem is when I go to share those playlists, I'm now limited by what's on Apple Music, and what's matched in my library vs. what is uploaded. At the very least grey out the song and include a link to iTMS like they do for curated playlists. Even better, try matching to a song on Apple Music if it's there just on a different album. Or just provide a warning when I go to share saying something like "not all of your songs can be matched to apple music. what do you want to do?"

This stuff at least would be a VAST improvement to the service.

Ashhong

Hmm what will happen if I turn off iCloud Music Library on my iTunes? I have a large physical collection that I've already "uploaded" to the cloud, and I sure as hell don't want them to be deleted from my computer.

borghe

Hmm what will happen if I turn off iCloud Music Library on my iTunes? I have a large physical collection that I've already "uploaded" to the cloud, and I sure as hell don't want them to be deleted from my computer.
"in theory", nothing.

but for fuck sake.... backup backup backup backup backup.

even if you want to leave icloud music library turned on... I mean is it really a big deal to burn your music off to a blu-ray or two? Hell, grab a 120GB SSD for $60 and just put your music on there and put it in a drawer somewhere.

Ashhong

"in theory", nothing.

but for fuck sake.... backup backup backup backup backup.

even if you want to leave icloud music library turned on... I mean is it really a big deal to burn your music off to a blu-ray or two? Hell, grab a 120GB SSD for $60 and just put your music on there and put it in a drawer somewhere.

But the ones that were fucked up by AM will still be fucked up right? Like album art and things like that

One of my biggest worry is that I make edits to songs and have them in my library. I noticed that instead of uploading my edit to the cloud, AM matched it to the original, and that's what I get on my phone. I hope it didn't replace the one on my PC too. Keep forgetitng to check this

Thankful to say I haven't had a single problem with my library.
I guess that was where iTunes Match truly paid off.
I already had 13,000+ songs in the cloud prior to Apple Music, all replicated exactly with correct tags, cover art, custom compilations, etc.
With Apple Music now everything is simply the same.

Match was a bit of a fucker initially in that it changed some of my explicit songs for clean version, but those (few) were songs I had purposely deleted my original copies of in order to 'upgrade' them to iTunes versions.
Nothing changed by itself as seems to be the case with some now.

I'll subscribe when the trial is up, but I'm curious what will happen to any downloaded music if you don't...?
If they disappeared but then upon resubscribing all automatically re-downloaded to your library, that would be pretty cool.

Weird.

are you able to clear in settings>general>usage>manage storage>Music?

Those appear like that for songs I've intentionally downloaded by hitting the download button.

But for songs I "stream" they get cached and just eat up memory. I have NO clue how to clear it out other than to wipe the device. This isn't new w/ apple music itself. iTunes match was the same way. Videos too that are purchased and streamed from iTunes on iOS....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5541111?tstart=0

Thankful to say I haven't had a single problem with my library.
I guess that was where iTunes Match truly paid off.
I already had 13,000+ songs in the cloud prior to Apple Music, all replicated exactly with correct tags, cover art, custom compilations, etc.
With Apple Music now everything is simply the same.

Match was a bit of a fucker initially in that it changed some of my explicit songs for clean version, but those (few) were songs I had purposely deleted my original copies of in order to 'upgrade' them to iTunes versions.
Nothing changed by itself as seems to be the case with some now.

I'll subscribe when the trial is up, but I'm curious what will happen to any downloaded music if you don't...?
If they disappeared but then upon resubscribing all automatically re-downloaded to your library, that would be pretty cool.

I had iTunes match as well and every time I created a playlist it would vanish when I toggled "show local songs only". Even after I turned it back off. Even when I saved the songs in the playlist to my local storage.

I really want to use Apple Music over Spotify. But that's a deal breaker. Hopefully this gets ironed out.

I had iTunes match as well and every time I created a playlist it would vanish when I toggled "show local songs only". Even after I turned it back off. Even when I saved the songs in the playlist to my local storage.

I really want to use Apple Music over Spotify. But that's a deal breaker. Hopefully this gets ironed out.

Just tried this out and the playlists remain!
If I don't have the songs stored locally the playlist is simply blank but adding each song locally (I tried batch and one-by-one) does automatically put it into it's correct playlist order.

I'm running the iOS9 beta, so it seems they've fixed it for this release.

kaskade

Is there a way to download my iCloud music library to the phone? I for whatever reason thought it would've just auto downloaded that stuff. No wonder I was chewing through my data last month.

No way. It may not be perfect, but it's 10x better than the spotify app.

High praise for a glorified web app with a bloated and ugly UI (very few people want to browse through their artist library by scrolling through giant circles).

The Spotify UI is so much cleaner and songs start instantly (something which neither Apple or Google have achieved).

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I have subscribed to iTunes Match but am also using the Apple Music trial. Is there anyway to Use the "iTunes Match" matching instead of the "Apple music" matching? Apple Music has given me just nothing but problems.

number11

I decided to just sort through my entire library manually. I'm gonna have to choose what tracks to match and which to force upload one album at a time. Then i've got a couple of albums which are low bitrate / downloaded illegally which i'll delete and replace with Apple Music versions.

...This is probably gonna take months/years to complete.

borghe

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I have subscribed to iTunes Match but am also using the Apple Music trial. Is there anyway to Use the "iTunes Match" matching instead of the "Apple music" matching? Apple Music has given me just nothing but problems.

ummm.. yes?

I mean I've had Match from day one, and have it on my entire library (maybe about 3-4 days to get everything up to snuff enough to be ok with). When I turned on Music, My Music basically looked exactly the same as it always did. Then I started adding music from Music and it just showed up along side my stuff.

So basically ummm... from iTunes (I don't have it in front of me for specific examples), turn off Apple Music, turn on iTunes Match (it might now be iCloud Music Library with Apple Music turned off). Match. It should go against iTunes Match. Then turn Apple Music back on.

I think that should work. Hopefully someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

I got my music back. At least most of it

It’s been an interesting and confusing day. I arrived at Apple this morning to talk to them about my issues with Apple Music and to hopefully fix my problems. The good news is that I have about 90 percent of my music back.

Let’s get the easy stuff out of the way. The missing and duplicate song issues that we’ve all seen in Apple Music are being fixed shortly. They are certainly aware of what’s been going on, I can assure you.

Appleman

I want the Beats1 schedule to display as a Notification widget.
I keep forgetting to check what's on...

Yeah, when you see the list of upcoming shows there should be an alarm icon beside them that you can tap to get a notification when that starts airing.

In the meantime I tried turning on notifications for the Beats1 twitter account but it got super annoying really fast

borghe

Totally saw this coming. As soon as the big pro-Apple names started saying "stay away from this service" you knew it would be addressed. Although this does kind of fly in the face of his "and no one I've talked to has any idea how to fix [the service]".

Good to see they are working on things. My only remaining annoyance that I can't really work around is if I play Beats 1, after an extended time of not playing, my car stereo will still start playing my whole library alphabetically. But ONLY when Now Playing blanks which is mostly Beats 1. Apple Music songs have "stuck" in Now Playing for like a day or more. Beats 1 will "leave" now playing after like an hour or so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still on the free trial, obviously, but I'm just about done using the service. It's kind of shit, honestly.

Beats One and the curated play lists are cool, but that's not nearly enough to put up with a nonsensical interface and, quite honestly, shoddy reliability when it comes to streaming. In my entire time using it, Spotify has never failed to stream music as much as Apple Music has. I know it might be early demand, but it's shameful from the richest consumer products company on the planet.

Interface frustrations come from a great deal of just simple things that build up.

Inconsistencies across platforms: on Windows iTunes I can just click on the dots next to a song and "go to Album." On iOS? Nothing of the sort. You can click on the dots, and then again on the song name at the top of the list, and *sometimes* that might take you to an album, but sometimes it just goes to a blank screen. Just let me click on the album name text to go to the album. It's not hard!

And why can't I click an artists name and be taken to their page to find more music from them? It's even more frustrating because there appears to be limited situations in which artist names do work as links to their pages.

Why does searching for music on the desktop application default to "My Music" and not "Apple Music?" Why do search results appear in the "New" tab? Why don't albums appear in order of release? Why the hell aren't there any years attached next to the albums in an artists page?

Why do "hearts" not do what any reasonable person would expect them to do?

And so much more... Oh, well. Maybe in a few years it will be a great option.

Top Bottom