• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

I cannot believe they still haven't fixed the Up Next bug. I know I'm going to be driving for a while, I want to queue up a few albums. Start playing one, go to the next, hit "Add to Up Next" (which should add it to the end of my queue, unlike "Play Next") but it adds the whole album after the song I'm playing, interrupting the first album I queued up

Infuriating

Number45

It sure is. I've gotten into the habit now of never just hitting play on an album (instead adding it to Up Next) but I shouldn't have to.

LordAmused

Does anybody know if it's possible to create a "profile into a profile" in Itunes PC ? What I mean is: I have a family Apple Music plan which my sister uses on her laptop. The thing is, she is logged in on my account as I can't/don't know how to setup the sharing plan so that means the music she wants to save to her library also saves to mine. Is it possible to separate the Apple Music library in two so she would get her library and I would keep mine?

Does anybody know if it's possible to create a "profile into a profile" in Itunes PC ? What I mean is: I have a family Apple Music plan which my sister uses on her laptop. The thing is, she is logged in on my account as I can't/don't know how to setup the sharing plan so that means the music she wants to save to her library also saves to mine. Is it possible to separate the Apple Music library in two so she would get her library and I would keep mine?

The way the sharing account works, you need to be main account unt and put her account as part of the family plan. Then she can login with her own account (different email). Everybody has their own libraries for music and can share app purchases, Movies, books, etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

Ashhong

If this is how you're doing it you're not utilizing your family plan. She needs to make her own Apple account and then you add her as a member in your settings. From there she just signs into her account and that's it. Pretty simple

Number45

If this is how you're doing it you're not utilizing your family plan. She needs to make her own Apple account and then you add her as a member in your settings. From there she just signs into her account and that's it. Pretty simple
Yup, this is pretty much why I have a subscription to AM instead of another service. £15 for four people in my family (and to have unique libraries/playlists) for this is pretty good value for money.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hmm... so I thought the "don't add playlist songs to My Music" was default, and seemed to be working.. but putzing around in Music settings, I see it as a toggle also.. hmm.. So I turned it on, but swear that songs haven't been added to My Music since 9.3 regardless.

Also what are the little stars that appear next to song titles in the album/list view? Usually only one or two songs or so have the little star next to it.

Also is there an easy way yet to add a whole album where you've added only one song? Up to recently the only flaw with the UI that was still killing me. You can add a song, and choose "Show Complete Album", but still had no way of adding the rest of the songs.

SongShift lets you import Spotify playlists into Apple Music with incredible ease

http://9to5mac.com/2016/04/18/songshift-import-spotify-playlists-apple-music/

I used this. Works pretty well, even paid to unlock the unlimited tracks and no ads. Hopefully t improves as the songs aren't imported in the correct order. And sometimes it's a music video instead of a song. Probably the nature of how it identifies track names and the differences between the two services.

I imported and fixed up (moved tracks to identical order) the Coachella 2016 Playlist if you're interested.

Official Coachella Lineup 2016

So I have a question. I've always been an iTunes Match user and kept all of my music stored there. I haven't downloaded any of it for offline play because I have unlimited data. I subscribed to Apple Music. If I add an entire album to my library from Apple Music, is there any way to tell what is my music uploaded to the cloud vs music I've added from Apple Music? It's not really a huge deal, just how messy my library ends up being if I decided at some point to no longer subscribe to Apple Music. Will my saved from Apple Music albums just disappear, or will they stay in my library but not play if I tap on them?

Vyer

So I have a question. I've always been an iTunes Match user and kept all of my music stored there. I haven't downloaded any of it for offline play because I have unlimited data. I subscribed to Apple Music. If I add an entire album to my library from Apple Music, is there any way to tell what is my music uploaded to the cloud vs music I've added from Apple Music? It's not really a huge deal, just how messy my library ends up being if I decided at some point to no longer subscribe to Apple Music. Will my saved from Apple Music albums just disappear, or will they stay in my library but not play if I tap on them?

Id imagine they would just disappear, or show as not available when you click on it and eventually disappear. If you didn't buy it or upload it it wouldn't apply to Match.

On iTunes one of the sorting categories is ICloud Status. It'll tell you if a song was matched/uploaded/Apple Music

Is there any way in the Apple Music iPhone app to change it so when I add a song to a playlist that song is placed at the top of the playlist instead of the bottom.

I don't know who at Apple thought this was a good idea...

Add a new song to a playlist...wanna go into the playlist and fire it up....gotta scroll down 150 songs....

neshcom

Banned
Is there any way in the Apple Music iPhone app to change it so when I add a song to a playlist that song is placed at the top of the playlist instead of the bottom.

I don't know who at Apple thought this was a good idea...

Add a new song to a playlist...wanna go into the playlist and fire it up....gotta scroll down 150 songs....
Maybe if you set it to reverse numerical order in iTunes? I think it's the second setting when you click to sort by the number column.

I think this is a common bug but I'm not sure. I got Apple Music a while back, it wiped the album artwork for the music I have on my phone, I did something and got them all back.

Album artwork goes missing again; however this time I un-sync'd all my music via iTunes...but the music is still on my phone (it just can't be played). At the moment I'm stuck with "ghost" songs that are on my phone but can't be played. I've tried deleting them manually from my phone but that doesn't work, tried to re-sync with iTunes which doesn't work either. It's really frustrating. Is there any fix for this at all?

giga

Apple to Revamp Streaming Music Service After Mixed Reviews, Departures

Apple is altering the user interface of Apple Music to make it more intuitive to use, according to people familiar with the product who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t public. Apple also plans to better integrate its streaming and download businesses and expand its online radio service, the people said. The reboot is expected to be unveiled at the company’s Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The changes will be accompanied by a marketing blitz to lure more customers to the $10-per-month streaming service. An Apple spokesman declined to comment.

Following a management shakeup, the service’s new look is being overseen by content head Robert Kondrk and Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor. Design chief Jony Ive's team also has provided input, along with Iovine and Eddy Cue, the senior vice president in charge of Internet services.

Apple’s leaders have expressed optimism about the new look and feel the team is working better together, said a person close to the executive team. The company has continued to invest, with more than 1,000 people working out of its offices in Los Angeles to expand the music service.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-music-service-after-mixed-reviews-departures

" the service’s new look is being overseen by content head Robert Kondrk and Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor. Design chief Jony Ive's team also has provided input, along with Iovine and Eddy Cue"

hmmmm

GWX

Exciting, but I really don't get why Trent. Hopefully the teams actually experienced with Software UI help it get better. Someday the "showing offline but not really" bug and the endless cache bullshit we have absolutely no control whatsoever will be fixed, hopefully.

Scoop gurman:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/05/04/apple-music-ios-10-revamp/

- The new user-interface ditches the current colorful and translucent look in favor of a simpler design that emphasizes black and white backgrounds and text.

- The new interface will eschew color in the user-interface, album artwork will become “huge” and a larger part of the interface in order to avoid a dull black and white look.

- make better use of Apple’s in-house San Francisco font, including larger, black, bold text for menus and tabs.

- Additional 3D Touch shortcut previews and better promote the ability to share songs. However, the social Connect feature will remain mostly unchanged in this year’s revamp.

- The new service will also discontinue the “New” tab, which is a jumbled list of top charts, genres, featured music launches, and curated playlists. It will be replaced with a section called “Browse” which better organizes the aforementioned content.

- The Beats 1 Radio service is unlikely to see notable interface changes this year.

- wide-ranging support for song lyrics

- The new version of Apple Music will be fully released as part of iOS 10 this fall and will first launch in beta this summer via the developer and public betas of iOS 10

- Apple Music updates will also expand to the Mac via a minor iTunes update (a larger revamp of iTunes on the Mac is expected by next year) 😫

-Apple planned to release iTunes 12.4 for Mac “weeks ago” with minor interface changes, but the rollout is likely delayed until summer.

giga

Glad new tab is being replaced with browse. Shame that connect lives on, but at least I can disable that in restrictions.

GWX

iTunes getting the shaft, as always. User experience for Apple Music subscribers is way worse on iTunes than on the Music app, so it should've been the priority, but I guess the one with the biggest amount of users wins. Excited for in-app lyrics, though, it's been a long time coming!

neshcom

Banned
Damn, I thought New was alright while my Connect is largely unused. Unless the update means we'll get Connect/new music push notifications, it needs to be on the chopping block.

My biggest complaints with the current design is how small the touch targets are and how impossible it is to go from "artist page in my library" to "artist page on AMusic." I hope they also fix the weirdness of automated playlists and allow for user-to-user playlist following. Seems weird to see in-app lyrics since Music has had the feature since the last update or so, but maybe they mean integrating lyrics into AMusic songs?

Trent Reznor? Random!

Trent Reznor was the Chief Creative Officer for Beats when Beats created the Beats Music service.
After Apple bought Beats, he stayed on to work at Apple for the Apple Music project.

I guess I should give my opinions on what I'd like to see in an update

For You - I like the way this works already

Browse (formerly New) - Definitely needs to be reorganized, seems like they just stuff it with everything and it's a lot of scrolling. Maybe it can be broken up with swiping between pages of content (Featured, New, Trending) instead of the long scrolling

Radio - I actually like the way this section has improved since the beginning.

Connect (lol) - If they keep this, why not have two pages, one for artists you follow, another for social (friends, Twitter, FB friends) so you can see what they're listening to, subscribe to their playlists. Notifications can be set up here for updates and new releases from artists you follow

My Music - This is fine, maybe an option to get rid of 'Recently Added' which takes up space. should have the filter button (artist, albums, song) float so you can switch between them wherever you are scrolling from. Perhaps drop Playlists to give it its own tab (and move Connect elsewhere)

Feels like connect can be a button at the top maybe on the other side of where the search button is, Playlists can be in the navigation bar at the bottom and that's where I would put the curators/activities/featured from where New used to be

Also I would like to get the ability to edit the tabs on the bottom, be able to move them around like in the old Music app.

Wouldn't mind a web interface so I can listen via a browser at work. Only reason I have a spotify account (on my 6th free trial)

And blow up iTunes. Make a separate app for Apple Music.

Come to think of it, there's so much stuff to organize a streaming service that emphasizes curated playlists, radio, social connect service, along with your own library.

Exciting, but I really don't get why Trent. Hopefully the teams actually experienced with Software UI help it get better. Someday the "showing offline but not really" bug and the endless cache bullshit we have absolutely no control whatsoever will be fixed, hopefully.

Oh goodness yes, just put that in settings to delete cache. Actually iOS in general needs a feature to delete cache from the various apps. Most are fine and keep it tidy but some are notorious of creating hundreds of MB of 'documents and data'

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm still trying to figure out how to turn the student discount on. I tried on the iPhone and on my Macbook, and I don't see anything other than upgrading to the family plan.

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn the student discount on. I tried on the iPhone and on my Macbook, and I don't see anything other than upgrading to the family plan.

I just checked and didn't see the option either. They said it rolling out today so I'm guessing they haven't flipped the switch yet.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Student discount was one of the reasons I held off ApfelMuzak, but I'll wait to see what happens at WWDC to see if it's worth switching from Spotify.

Sounds like Connect is getting the Ping treatment over time:

In the iOS 10 Apple Music redesign, the Connect feature will follow Ping’s lead and will be demoted. Apple Music Connect currently exists as its own tab across the bottom of the Apple Music interface on iOS and on iTunes on the Mac, but multiple sources say that the feature will lose its tab and become integrated into the “For You” recommendations page. Connect will still exist within applicable artist pages as it does today, but its demotion from the set of Apple Music tabs indicates that the feature has not lived up to Apple’s expectations from last year. Along with the demotion, Connect is unlikely to see notable new features this year.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/05/06/apple-music-connect-demotion/

ecurbj

Why not keep the Connect tab but just have it display the feeds from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. of the artists that you listen to, rather than having a separate aka Apple's own social network, Connect that the artists need to post too? I knew Apple's Connect was going to fail at the start. It was another social network competing (for lack of better word) against Facebook and co. was DOA.

Oh, well. No loss really. I'll just monitor Twitter for updates on my favorite artists.

Top Bottom