• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Moreche

Thanks for that link, interesting.
After what was talked about on stage by Jimmy Iovine at Apple Music intro it all seemed really promising but appears to be another clusterfuck by Apple, I am now convinced if Apple didn't have all that money to fall back on they would be out of business, they over promise and under deliver on nearly everything they do now and I'm amazed that they can't get their shit together, why buy Beats when they could've purchased Spotify?
On one hand you had Dre and over priced headphones and on the other hand you're biggest competitor.

Vyer

Thanks for that link, interesting.
After what was talked about on stage by Jimmy Iovine at Apple Music intro it all seemed really promising but appears to be another clusterfuck by Apple, I am now convinced if Apple didn't have all that money to fall back on they would be out of business, they over promise and under deliver on nearly everything they do now and I'm amazed that they can't get their shit together, why buy Beats when they could've purchased Spotify?
On one hand you had Dre and over priced headphones and on the other hand you're biggest competitor.

lol

Connect is really useful if you follow the different Apple genres, they post new songs/playlists all the time. Connect is bad, but it's not useless.

igor

I'm using Connect way more than the "New" section which is full of crappy mainstream music I have no interest in whatsoever.

I'd rather let that one go TBH.

neshcom

Banned
So, I shared a playlist yesterday and it kinda futzed with it by swapping out some non-AM music with original versions (that were already in my library) and removing it from my phone. So, to try to get everything back, I signed out on my phone and then it hid ALL my Apple Music stuff on the phone now. I've turned iCloud Music Library back on, but still nothing. Anyone have experience with this? This is my first major terrible experience with AM.

Ashhong

So, I shared a playlist yesterday and it kinda futzed with it by swapping out some non-AM music with original versions (that were already in my library) and removing it from my phone. So, to try to get everything back, I signed out on my phone and then it hid ALL my Apple Music stuff on the phone now. I've turned iCloud Music Library back on, but still nothing. Anyone have experience with this? This is my first major terrible experience with AM.

I'm confused by what your problem is. You shared a playlist, but AM changed actual songs in the playlist that were on your phone?

neshcom

Banned
I'm confused by what your problem is. You shared a playlist, but AM changed actual songs in the playlist that were on your phone?

Sorry, I guess it wasn't clear. Yesterday, it changed some songs in the playlist--no big whoop. Looking at iTunes now, it seems like it also changed some songs to "Ineligible" status on iCloud Music Library.

Today, it hid that playlist entirely on my phone. When I tried to fix it by logging out, EVERYTHING that was from Apple Music disappeared from my phone including ALL of my playlists.

I was out and about when this all went down, but now that I'm home, logging out and back in on wi-fi seems like it may have fixed it. This is just a cluster.

So does this have the bullshit that you still can't sync a random local song to your iPhone running Apple Music? It was the only thing that drove me away. Much nicer to navigate than Spotify.

Future

So does this have the bullshit that you still can't sync a random local song to your iPhone running Apple Music? It was the only thing that drove me away. Much nicer to navigate than Spotify.

Yup. Unless you disable icloud library. Otherwise you have to upload it to icloud to get it on your phone

Ashhong

Looking forward to 9.3 so I can add playlists without the songs being added to My Music library. Hopefully it's released Monday

Oh is THAT what that new feature is? I remember reading you can now add music directly to a playlist, but I didn't understand what that meant. I can already add music straight to my playlist..

^
Actually just one new feature. The one you're talking about lets other apps add to your library. So if you're using Shazam or something and you want to add to Apple Music, you can do it from Shazam's app. I was hoping initially it would let you add music *not* in Apple Music to your iCloud Library (like MP3s online)

Another change is putting a star next to popular tracks in albums. Used to be lines in a beta, now it's a star all the way to the left. Hopefully they keep on working on the service! If it debuted in the state it is now, it would have been so much better.

RoKKeR

So I just recently switched to Android, and although the app wasn't great on iOS it was passable.

The Beta app on Android though... wow. I know it's a "beta" and everything but this is absolutely atrocious. Borderline unbelievable that Apple would release an app in such a horrendous state.

Aside from complaining about the app, I do have an actual question. This may not come as a surprise, but I have a very large U2 library, and much of it is composed of songs that were purchased through the Ultimate U2 Collection on iTunes back in '04, custom downloads, bootlegs, etc. All of these songs worked perfectly find on my iPhone, they are stored in my Apple Music library and are playable through my computer. (even though the files themselves aren't stored on the computer, so they are stored in the cloud/Apple Music library) On Android, I get "this item is no longer available for download" with almost every one of these albums/songs.

What is up with this? It works fine on my computer and other Apple devices, it's clearly up in the Apple Music library, but I can't play or download it to Apple Music on Android? Why?

giga

Apple Music improvements
• Add songs from the Apple Music catalog to playlists without having to add them to your library
• Watch music videos on iPad in full screen
• See what’s playing on Beats 1 directly from the Radio tab — without having to tune in
• Tap the name of the currently playing song in Now Playing to go to the album
• See which songs are most popular on albums in the Apple Music catalog

Ashhong

What would be a scenario where you want to add music to playlist but not library?

Maybe it's because I add everythjng to playlists and select music from there, not the My Music tab?

giga

What would be a scenario where you want to add music to playlist but not library?

Maybe it's because I add everythjng to playlists and select music from there, not the My Music tab?
Christmas music. I don't want to hear that when I shuffle my entire library.

I move my discover weekly playlist from Spotify into Apple Music. That means each week I have to go and manually remove last week's song from my library. No more!

Future

I move my discover weekly playlist from Spotify into Apple Music. That means each week I have to go and manually remove last week's song from my library. No more!

Is there a fast way to move music in Spotify to Apple Music? Or do you just manually do ir

Number45

I may like a track from an album but have no interest in the album itself, so I'll add the track to a general shuffle playlist I have - but I don't want the album to show up in my library.

Movie soundtracks, make a playlist for said movie, add all the music and not have 20 new random albums in your collection.

number11

Finally !

Can someone explain this one to me. I see no differences in the album pages.

Finally !

Can someone explain this one to me. I see no differences in the album pages.

Should be if you're viewing an album, it'll have a star by the most popular track. It does for me

Ashhong

Ah I see now. It's different for me because I do all of my music browsing solely through playlists. Ever since the iPod days I would make a playlist for every artist and manually add their music into it. It was the only way to have 100% control over everything.

Phreaker

The STILL need to fix random songs getting grayed out in iTunes (on Mac). I add an album to my library, all is fine. Then one day one of the songs is grayed out, then another. I have to delete the album and re-add it to get them back (which removes any of those songs I had in other playlists). I've tried the sign in/out of iTunes and enable/disable iCloud and it doesn't help. It's maddening.

Tomodachi

The STILL need to fix random songs getting grayed out in iTunes (on Mac). I add an album to my library, all is fine. Then one day one of the songs is grayed out, then another. I have to delete the album and re-add it to get them back (which removes any of those songs I had in other playlists). I've tried the sign in/out of iTunes and enable/disable iCloud and it doesn't help. It's maddening.
Just click on the grayed out song and click activate selection (or something like that).
Still, I don't get why random songs keep deactivating on their own.

Phreaker

Just click on the grayed out song and click activate selection (or something like that).
Still, I don't get why random songs keep deactivating on their own.

Oh! The option is "check selection" (in the right click menu). I did not know about this. Still, like you said, not sure why it keeps doing this. Of course I only had to scroll down a couple albums to find newly grayed out songs, argh. At least this will stop me from having to delete the album and re-add it, thanks.

Zutroy

So happy you can now add songs to playlists only and not my music. Might finally use that section again now.

One problem however - anyone managed to find a way to delete the songs from my music without removing it from the playlists so I can clean my music library up?

really annoying issue i have... a lot of times i'll add an album when it's available for pre-release and it'll have a couple of songs already available.

When the album is released, i would expect it to downloaded the remaining songs, or at least let me download them, but it doesn't, they're still greyed out.

Only thing i can figure to do is to delete the newer songs and re-add them.

So happy you can now add songs to playlists only and not my music. Might finally use that section again now.

One problem however - anyone managed to find a way to delete the songs from my music without removing it from the playlists so I can clean my music library up?

Can't figure this out either, I didn't have many playlists to start so I just saved the playlists I had to Notes and just manually got rid of the individual songs (easily noticeable to me if an album has one song)

Wish it was easier. If only it worked like this from the start!

Is there any way I can add radio stations to a list somewhere or do I need to rely on the recently played section?

Yeah looks like just the recently played section is there. Three most recent is tappable from the radio tab while you can tap on 'recently played' to get to the whole history of radio stations.

Ashhong

Is there any word at all about better sharing tools? Would love to be able to share a playlist and allow it to be edited by anybody. Basically the way Spotify does it...

At the very least allow me to share my "Smart Playlist". What the hell is the reason for not allowing me to do that?

tmdorsey

Is there any word at all about better sharing tools? Would love to be able to share a playlist and allow it to be edited by anybody. Basically the way Spotify does it...

At the very least allow me to share my "Smart Playlist". What the hell is the reason for not allowing me to do that?

I would rather them get Smart Playlists actually working correctly first.

Future

I have one list that refuses to update automatically on the device.

I think there is a trick on how you get them to work. I had that big a long time ago, but I forgot how I fixed it. It was for a smart playlist based on star rating. Something to do with the smart list setup criteria

Top Bottom