• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

giga

popularity indicators in 9.3

9zpPhNt.png

Just noticedSpotify iOS doesn't have those.

I better see a dedicated Apple Music app at wwdc

I assume you mean an Apple Music app for PC/OSX? I would like that as well. Right now I'm on Google Play Music, thanks to the $1 for 3 month deal I came across. Artist radio stations on this thing (at least for active artists) seem to be a joke though.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I use Spotify. If Apple music gets a dedicated Mac app like Spotify has and a student discount for $4.99 like Spotify I'll switch, but until they get those two I'm sticking with Spotify.

Ashhong

Works fine for me. I don't see how it would be a problem if you were using it solely for Apple Music. Search and add.

What's the big deal with the popularity indicators? I personally would like less clutter on the screen.

My one wish is for us to be able to sync physical media while still using Apple Music library . Frustrating that I'm not able to put any mixtapes on my phone because it just syncs with iTunes and adds the retail version of the song

Works fine for me. I don't see how it would be a problem if you were using it solely for Apple Music. Search and add.

What's the big deal with the popularity indicators? I personally would like less clutter on the screen.

My one wish is for us to be able to sync physical media while still using Apple Music library . Frustrating that I'm not able to put any mixtapes on my phone because it just syncs with iTunes and adds the retail version of the song

I hear a song I like. I decide to look into what else the artist has done. I use the popularity indicators to figure out which ones are worth my time.

It's handy when you're checking out a new artist and going through their catalog to see which are the most downloaded/played at least as a starting point.

I don't mind it, I wish they would fix the thing where the downloaded icon is moved slightly to the left when the runtime of a song is more than 10 minutes. There still seems to be space to keep the icon where it was instead of moving it.

There's a whole category called "top songs" for artists, I always used that as a popularity barometer when first checking someone out

Or the "Intro To" playlists

There's a whole category called "top songs" for artists, I always used that as a popularity barometer when first checking someone out

Or the "Intro To" playlists

You're right, that's handy actually super handy, got into The Dillinger Escape Plan and the first thing I did was do a search then add an into to playlist.

Ashhong

Anyone else have Sia's This Is Acting (out Jan 29th) in their Apple Music library and have it look like this today? WTF, Reaper showing up 7 times as track 7

Looks fine on my iPhone. Must be a glitch because only 5 or so songs are actually available. All the unique tracks available for you are available for me. The rest are grayed out

New 'Music Tracker' App Monitors Your Apple Music Library for Changes and Raises Privacy Concerns

Music Tracker, from developer Ben Dodson, is a new app designed to keep an eye on changes made to the music library on your iOS device. After downloading, the app scans a user's music library and then tracks all changes that are introduced, including new song additions, deletions, and metadata changes to details like the title, artist, album, and genre of owned tracks. Whenever a change is discovered, a notification is sent.

While this is useful for those who like to monitor content and changes made manually to a music library to keep personal logs, it's perhaps best suited to Apple Music subscribers. There are instances where content available through the Apple Music service is deleted or changed due to licensing issues with record labels, and this app will allow users to keep track of potential deletions to replace missing music.

During the process of developing Music Tracker, Dodson ran into some potential privacy holes that he feels iOS users should be aware of. With many third-party iOS apps, accessing user information like location, contacts, or photos requires express user permission, but that's not the case with a music library.

According to Dodson, apps are able to access a user's music library and send data on what's included back to a server, allowing it to be used for advertising or tracking purposes. An app can scan through an entire music library in mere seconds, gaining information on the music content you prefer, down to details like the song that's most often played. Dodson also believes this could be a way for advertisers and marketers to track users across multiple devices.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/20/music-tracker-apple-music-library-monitoring/

Edit: someone on MacRumors mentions that the forthcoming 9.3 adds privacy restrictions for Media Library.

Alucrid

Banned
so when download songs to an iphone, you have to hit the ellipses, hit the + to add it to your library, then you have to hit the ellipses again and hit the download icon? the download icon doesn't appear after adding it to the library, it needs to back out of that menu for it to show. is that normal?

holygeesus

Banned
Why are songs still disappearing from 'My Music' for fucks sake!?

By this I mean I add an album, then go back to play it a few days later, and certain songs are greyed out, meaning that they are skipped when playing back the entire thing? Deleting the album and adding it again brings the track back fine, but this is a fundamental problem that has been there for me since day 1 and it is *still* not fixed? Seriously?

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah going through my entire collection to find out which songs have been deleted for no reason, is not something I will be doing again, so if it screws up again I'm ditching the service. iCloud is an utter mess.

Future

My iTunes collection was getting huge on my laptop. Finally took the plunge and moved it to an external hardrive. Unfortunately my laptop is my main computer, so that means I couldnt listen on my laptop on the go unless I brought the drive

So I created a second library on the laptop that is identical, but is set to stream everything through the icloud library. So when I'm docked at home, I use the library connected to the harddrive, and when I'm on the go I switch to the stream library and still have access to all the music. Probably the best usage of this service for me yet

Phreaker

Looks fine on my iPhone. Must be a glitch because only 5 or so songs are actually available. All the unique tracks available for you are available for me. The rest are grayed out

Yeah, seems specific to iTunes on my MBP. Seriously, why can't they get this right? I deleted the album and re-added it. Things were fine, now today it looks like this, smh

Number45

My iTunes collection was getting huge on my laptop. Finally took the plunge and moved it to an external hardrive. Unfortunately my laptop is my main computer, so that means I couldnt listen on my laptop on the go unless I brought the drive

So I created a second library on the laptop that is identical, but is set to stream everything through the icloud library. So when I'm docked at home, I use the library connected to the harddrive, and when I'm on the go I switch to the stream library and still have access to all the music. Probably the best usage of this service for me yet
Basically what I did - archived my main music library and built from scratch with Apple Music. It's not going to be a viable solution for everyone but it's been great for me and why I have very few complaints about how I use this service.

In fact, and I appreciate this is not something that's unique to AM, but I love how easy it is to discover new music on this. The For You section has been great for me.

Syntsui

Is this useable on android now? I thought about downloading it but I've only read bad things about it and how ridiculously buggy it is.

Vyer

I learned today that Match actually still is a separate service from Music, and that they are slightly different. Trying to decide whether I'll keep it.

Ashhong

so when download songs to an iphone, you have to hit the ellipses, hit the + to add it to your library, then you have to hit the ellipses again and hit the download icon? the download icon doesn't appear after adding it to the library, it needs to back out of that menu for it to show. is that normal?

No, I hit the ellipses and + and it adds to my library. I hit the ellipses again and theres a download icon there. Then again I am on 9.3 beta.

A little shortcut (maybe) is if you set a playlist to be downloaded, and then add a song to that playlist. I personally make use of Smart Playlists. Anytime I "heart" a song that I have added to my library it will add to a playlist automatically and download it.

PS: I wonder if the popularity indicators works off of a new metric set by AM? I was looking at Kanye's College Dropout and only 1 or 2 songs had "popularity marks", while the rest had none. Kind of useless

I learned today that Match actually still is a separate service from Music, and that they are sleeping girly different. Trying to decide whether I'll keep it.

I subscribe to Match and let my Apple Music sub lapse last year. They don't seem to call it Match anymore, it has the iCloud Music Library branding now. Actually it's weird, it's called Match when you subscribe to it, but in iTunes the "update iTunes Match" option is gone and has been replaced with an "update iCloud Music Library" option.

I learned today that Match actually still is a separate service from Music, and that they are slightly different. Trying to decide whether I'll keep it.

iTunes Match: stores your songs DRM-free so if you ever delete your local copy on accident it'll download like nothing ever happened

Apple Music: stores your songs with Apple Music DRM so if you ever delete your local copy you can redownload the Apple Music version but if you ever unsub you lose it

Also, it looks like 9.3 is going to let you add Apple Music songs to a playlist without also adding it your your library! I'm so happy! That was one of my biggest peeves

GWX

iTunes Match: stores your songs DRM-free so if you ever delete your local copy on accident it'll download like nothing ever happened

Apple Music: stores your songs with Apple Music DRM so if you ever delete your local copy you can redownload the Apple Music version but if you ever unsub you lose it

Also, it looks like 9.3 is going to let you add Apple Music songs to a playlist without also adding it your your library! I'm so happy! That was one of my biggest peeves

Game changer! Only things left to fix is the terrible iCloud mismatching and the annoying "showing offline songs but not really" bug on iOS.

wouwie

During the free demo period, i collected a massive amount of great tunes, many of which i had just discovered, in a massive playlist. I didn't renew when the demo was over since i didn't feel like i would have much time to listen to music at that time.

Yesterday i decided to give Apple music another go but much to my suprise, everything that was added during the free demo was gone, including my playlist of great tunes of which i didn't have any copy or backup. After a bit of searching, it appears Apple deletes everything Apple Music related 90 days after the end of a subscription. I didn't expect this to happen since other services like Netflix keep all your data and info when you stop a subscription. The only reason i can think off why Apple would want to do this is to make sure that you keep being subscribed forever.

So yeah, bummed i lost my playlist and i don't feel like starting over. Neither do i feel like subscribing to Apple Music since i feel i won't always have time for music so i might have some (longer) periods of not subscribing. If during these periods of non-subscription all my content is wiped, i don't think i'll bother with it.

During the free demo period, i collected a massive amount of great tunes, many of which i had just discovered, in a massive playlist. I didn't renew when the demo was over since i didn't feel like i would have much time to listen to music at that time.

Yesterday i decided to give Apple music another go but much to my suprise, everything that was added during the free demo was gone, including my playlist of great tunes of which i didn't have any copy or backup. After a bit of searching, it appears Apple deletes everything Apple Music related 90 days after the end of a subscription. I didn't expect this to happen since other services like Netflix keep all your data and info when you stop a subscription. The only reason i can think off why Apple would want to do this is to make sure that you keep being subscribed forever.

I would bet more Apple's stance on privacy.

LevelNth

Banned
Well I finally got around to suspending my Spotify account and trying the free 3 month trial for Apple Music, and I have to say I'm extremely impressed so far.

I already have Match (probably was a waste of money but $25 a year isn't a big deal) but I'm finding it awesome how I can just add albums to my collection with a simple click. Downloading music to my iPhone has been super easy too, but I haven't done a ton of that yet so I may still run into issues.

For long time users what are some of the more common issues for me to be aware of?

Shane86

For long time users what are some of the more common issues for me to be aware of?

One thing that's annoying is if you add an album that hasn't been released yet to my music (only has 2 or 3 songs on it), when the album is fully released, the rest of the songs on the album don't unlock. You have to delete the album and search for it and download again. How this hasn't been fixed yet I don't know.

Also there's a bug sometimes where it won't let you play songs you've downloaded to your device if you don't have an internet connection.

Phreaker

My biggest issue has been using iTunes/Apple Music on my MBP as seen in some posts above. I has also caused some songs to show up 2x for multiple albums. I also had playlists where a bunch of songs just got removed. I don't have these issues if I just use my iPhone, so ymmv.

One thing that's annoying is if you add an album that hasn't been released yet to my music (only has 2 or 3 songs on it), when the album is fully released, the rest of the songs on the album don't unlock. You have to delete the album and search for it and download again. How this hasn't been fixed yet I don't know.

This varies for me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Either way, the process for adding unreleased music sucks.

empyrean

Is the only way to get the family subscription via family sharing which if I understand correctly requires all urchades go through 1 credit card? Me and my gf fancied the family plan but want to pay for stuff separately (outside of the Apple Music subscription).

Ashhong

Is the only way to get the family subscription via family sharing which if I understand correctly requires all urchades go through 1 credit card? Me and my gf fancied the family plan but want to pay for stuff separately (outside of the Apple Music subscription).

Yes. It does go through one card but it's nice because everyone can use all purchases. Also if you ever breakup, the purchase stays on the account of the person who initiated the purchase, not the main member.

Ninja Dom

I've really come to rely on Apple Music a lot now. I listen to one album a day (commute to work and back) and check for new music every Friday. Plus I use Connect to find new interviews, tracks and videos. Such a good service. I don't find myself listening to the radio on it much.

What does piss me off is the odd replacement of my own library on my iPhone, tracks that never cam from Apple Music to begin with. Apple Music will randomly replace it with it's own version of the song which is normally the censored version. I listen to hip-hop exclusively.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've really come to rely on Apple Music a lot now. I listen to one album a day (commute to work and back) and check for new music every Friday. Plus I use Connect to find new interviews, tracks and videos. Such a good service. I don't find myself listening to the radio on it much.

What does piss me off is the odd replacement of my own library on my iPhone, tracks that never cam from Apple Music to begin with. Apple Music will randomly replace it with it's own version of the song which is normally the censored version. I listen to hip-hop exclusively.

Switch to Tidal :p

Ambitious

Imagine a social network where you can’t see how many followers you have, can’t contact any of them directly, can’t tell how effective your posts are, can’t easily follow others, and can’t even change your avatar.

Welcome to Apple Music Connect.

Link

Top Bottom