• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Can't teach it the power function without HDMI-CEC, even though it should be totally possible to teach it those functions just by beaming the IR signal at it :(

My shitty universal remote broke and I'd *really* love to be able to use the AppleTV remote for simply powering everything on.
Harmony remotes are your friend. Invest in one.

Unless I was a hermit with no friends, I couldn't imagine wanting my full photo library on my TV where anyone can see them..

Yep. Apple needs to refine this, but I basically took the albums that I *want* to be public and just iCloud Shared them to myself. Worked out great.
Harmony remotes are your friend. Invest in one.
I had one and it broke, lol.

Universal remotes are kinda pieces of shit anyway. I don't really want more functions than 'power on' and volume control.

Apple's got the ability to make the ATV remote just that teensy little bit smarter basically in a heartbeat, so I hope they do it in the ATV's next software update.

Quasar

They posted like an hour ago that it's still in review with Apple. If you really need a Plex fix there is an app on the App Store for $2.99 called Simple X. From what I've seen it looks pretty good.

Yeah. I think once Simplex gets music library support I probably wouldn't need the official app.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Unless I was a hermit with no friends, I couldn't imagine wanting my full photo library on my TV where anyone can see them..
Seeing more and more people in this thread echoing the same thing, I get why it's setup like that. I mean you'd think they'd still give it, even if not the default. But yeah, I get it.

Mostly just like it for the thought of streaming videos in my moments without having to AirPlay.

Yeah. I think once Simplex gets music library support I probably wouldn't need the official app.

I haven't bought it, yet. I assume you like it though? Music support isn't a dealbreaker for me since I hardly use Plex to play music (and since it's an Apple TV I have access to my iTunes Match stuff anyways).

borghe

How in the hell is Safari not on this? The remote is a trackpad, it'd be perfect.
Web+TV=suck

It's an equation that has never changed since the very first attempt. Nothing I'm seeing on the atv4 (as awesome as it is) leads me to believe this would be any different.

Frankly I'd rather just see the web content we want turned into native apps.

It's impressive to me that not only does the keyboard seem still terrible, but the Remote app and Bluetooth keyboards - both of which work for text input on the Apple TV 3 - aren't compatible either.
BT keyboards are compatible.

kuppy

Now that I think about it, Notifications wouldn't be too bad for tvOS. Wouldn't mind a twitter feed during certain programs.

Quasar

I haven't bought it, yet. I assume you like it though? Music support isn't a dealbreaker for me since I hardly use Plex to play music (and since it's an Apple TV I have access to my iTunes Match stuff anyways).

I think its pretty good for a single guy project making something in the limited time people have had with the dev kit.

I like that its using a more AppleTV centric interface (though I wish it had a dark theme - but that's true of the AppleTV as a whole) and it seems to play all my shows and movies well without hickups. It is missing some bells and whistle I find useful like batch playback of episodes. but I expect over time more and more will get added. The guy has already said channels are on the list (though admittedly I don;t really use channels).

Can't believe people are making excuses for no web browser. It most definitely should have one. And voice commands should be used to browse. If I can enter websites comfortably on my PS4, I should be able to do it even easier on the Apple TV. There's no excuse for not having one.

Now that I think about it, Notifications wouldn't be too bad for tvOS. Wouldn't mind a twitter feed during certain programs.

My in-laws have time warner phone, tv, and internet and the tv shows who's calling... I hadn't seen it before and I thought it was pretty cool. Hmmm... Would I want messages to be integrated....

Quasar

Can't believe people are making excuses for no web browser. It most definitely should have one. And voice commands should be used to browse. If I can enter websites comfortably on my PS4, I should be able to do it even easier on the Apple TV. There's no excuse for not having one.

I'll just say there's a reason Google left the browser out when it moved from GoogleTV to AndroidTV.

Quasar

I don't know what their reason was, but the browser runs great on PS4/Xbox One and Wii U. There's no reason it wouldn't be great on the new Apple TV.

Well browsers on tvs are terrible. Well Unless you hook up a mouse and keyboard.

Of course Googles additional problem was all the networks blocking the GoogleTV browser from their streaming content.

What do you want to browse on your TV that your phone, tablet, and laptop aren't good enough for?

rezuth

Has anyone tried bluetooth headphones yet? If so, which brand and how's the lag? I had a pair of Beats bluetooth headphones but they were useless for video on my Mac due to horrible lag, which Apple acknowledged but never fixed.

Did you try updating them? It helped a lot with the ones my friend had.

So is there no way to control / "cast" stuff like YouTube from other devices? I pull up YouTube on my phone and the Apple TV is practically the single device in our house that isn't listed (Chromecast, Roku, two TVs...). Hopefully I'm just impatient and it'll get patched in on whichever end needs it.

Guess Who

Banned
So is there no way to control / "cast" stuff like YouTube from other devices? I pull up YouTube on my phone and the Apple TV is practically the single device in our house that isn't listed (Chromecast, Roku, two TVs...). Hopefully I'm just impatient and it'll get patched in on whichever end needs it.

Are you using an iOS device? You can AirPlay YouTube videos to the Apple TV from the YouTube app.

borghe

iPhone? Just AirPlay.

btkadams

Really liking this so far. For anyone who doesn't have one yet, expect the navigation to be quite similar to previous Apple TVs, EXCEPT the voice navigation makes some things extremely quick.

"Play the newest episode of South Park" started playing this week's new episode immediately (I buy seasons on iTunes, so this might not be useful to those who don't). No hopping through menus.

Juice

Loaded all my roms into Provenance, but with my SteelSeeris Stratus mini, I'm noticing that (at least for NES) the input lag time is laughably bad.

Between that and slowdown, I can't play SMB1 or SMB2 reasonably. Bummer

Any Hulu search results through Siri? Like if I say "Play the latest episode of The Daily Show" will it go to Hulu since that's the only place I have access?

btkadams

Loaded all my roms into Provenance, but with my SteelSeeris Stratus mini, I'm noticing that (at least for NES) the input lag time is laughably bad.

Between that and slowdown, I can't play SMB1 or SMB2 reasonably. Bummer
Is the input lag because of the controller/Bluetooth or an effect of the emulator? Does it happen with other native Apple TV games? (Currently looking at getting an MFi controller)

Is the input lag because of the controller/Bluetooth or an effect of the emulator? Does it happen with other native Apple TV games? (Currently looking at getting an MFi controller)

I've played a bunch of games, there's no lag with the App Store apps, must be the emulator.

Any Hulu search results through Siri? Like if I say "Play the latest episode of The Daily Show" will it go to Hulu since that's the only place I have access?

So i asked it this question, it gave me to pop up with a bunch of Jon Stewart episodes from iTunes.

I then asked "Play the latest episode of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" and it said "Sorry I can't play music"

...ok

So i asked it this question, it gave me to pop up with a bunch of Jon Stewart episodes from iTunes.

I then asked "Play the latest episode of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" and it said "Sorry I can't play music"

...ok

If our say "show me the daily show" and go to the page for the show, does it say "also on Hulu"? Like it would with a movie that's also on Netflix?

If our say "show me the daily show" and go to the page for the show, does it say "also on Hulu"? Like it would with a movie that's also on Netflix?

It does for everything else i've tried, doesn't seem to for the daily show for some reason.

We're doing a rewatch of Xfiles and i asked "Play the latest episode of Xfiles on Netflix" and that worked fine.

Wish there was a way to remove iTunes movies/TV from the search results. Wife and I were looking for a Halloween movie, everything we searched for was on iTunes but wanted something on the streaming services.

went with Beetlejuice

calder

Set mine up after work, haven't really done much but log into apps (ugh at no Remote app when I'm typing in my long secure passwords) and set up the volume control. I don't think my AVR does CEC but it does power off the receiver somehow?

Only real complaint so far is the lack of a Twitch app. Really assumed that would be there day 1, is there any word on that?

MercuryLS

Banned
Set mine up after work, haven't really done much but log into apps (ugh at no Remote app when I'm typing in my long secure passwords) and set up the volume control. I don't think my AVR does CEC but it does power off the receiver somehow?

Only real complaint so far is the lack of a Twitch app. Really assumed that would be there day 1, is there any word on that?

I need Google Photos and Spotify apps asap.

By the way Best Sports is awesome. I'm loving this little box.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Universal search is the GOAT.

Now I won't accidentally purchase a movie that's already on one of our services. Worth it.

Need twitch app pronto

Top Bottom