• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

holygeesus

Banned
When using Netflix anyone else seeing two Apple TVs in the audio section that you drag down when playing content? I see two plus my Yamaha amp. Odd.

Outside of gaming, how would you folks compare the new Apple TV to the old one in terms of performance, load times, etc.?

Well I still have issues with streaming itunes movies. I guess thats a server/cdn issue though. Otherwise I'd say its much speedier (but then it has a shit-tonne more horsepower and ram so it should).

Yeah, I haven't played with mine much yet, but everything seems a lot snappier in general. But the leap in horsepower is pretty dramatic, so I would expect nothing less.

I'll get more of a chance to play with it later tonight to see how it really works. We don't have a cable subscription at all, so our AppleTV is how we watch everything.

Had a little play with some games on tvOS:

Crossy Road: 2 player Crossy Road is a lot of fun but the Siri remote suck for precise movement.

Asphalt 8: Plays fine, framerate is garbage and there's a million menus to get through.

Rayman Adventures: Most investing thing about this game is using a MFi controller gives you the full range of movement you'd expect from a platformer. The Siri remote is all swiping nonsense. The actual game revolves around collecting items in small platforming sections to feed and grow these lille animals you find.

Alto's Adventure: This is more my thing. As you would expect, looks and plays great.

Oceanhorn: Looks great full 1080P at 60fps, plays really nice with a controller. Almost finished this on iPad, so i didn't spend too long on it.

tl;dr: Some great games already on Apple TV, but get an MFi controller.

Need to pick up Beat Sports + Lumios City.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why hasn't their been a remote app update. Honestly why launch a new device and not drop an update to that shoddy app.

Siri not working with music is odd to me since it works very well on the iPhone. Although I wish it would default to locally stored stuff on my phone instead of always going to Apple Music.

I wonder if my iTunes Match playlist-limit issue would be rectified if I had an Apple Music subscription and it were Apple Music Library instead. Somehow I suspect that's the case >_>

All 10+ Best Buys in my surrounding area just started showing stock on Best Buy.com. I ordered one online for in-store pickup. Gonna grab it tomorrow.

How's the quality of the MFi controller that you're using? Is it like DS4/Xbox controller quality? Pros/negs? And does it also work with an iPad?

I'm using the Mad Catz Micro C.T.R.L.i. I haven't used a PS controller since PS2, and not used an Xbox controller, but would imagine they are a better build quality. The CTRLi more like those 3rd party controllers you'd get for consoles.

An MFi controller will work with any iOS device with iOS 7+ and a Mac with 10.9+

There's a dedicated MFi controller thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870329

MThanded

So the remote app doesn't work at all right now? I'd like to use it to enter passwords. It's annoying to sign into a billion things with this remote.

So, pressing the menu button twice turns on the screensaver. Pressing the Home button (the tv screen one, or whatever its real name is) pulls up an app switcher like on iOS.

Has anyone tried bluetooth headphones yet? If so, which brand and how's the lag? I had a pair of Beats bluetooth headphones but they were useless for video on my Mac due to horrible lag, which Apple acknowledged but never fixed.

Has anyone tried bluetooth headphones yet? If so, which brand and how's the lag? I had a pair of Beats bluetooth headphones but they were useless for video on my Mac due to horrible lag, which Apple acknowledged but never fixed.

Used a pair of old Sony headphones. Worked fine, but I was just doing music. I haven't tried audio yet.

Just an FYI, Touch Arcade has a forum for Apple TV games, but there aren't a lot of impressions posted yet. Still looking to find out more on Galaxy on Fire.

So, pressing the menu button twice turns on the screensaver. Pressing the Home button (the tv screen one, or whatever its real name is) pulls up an app switcher like on iOS.

Ooh, nice.
So the remote app doesn't work at all right now? I'd like to use it to enter passwords. It's annoying to sign into a billion things with this remote.

I only had to sign into Netflix and Hulu. Everything else used verification systems I'd go through on my computer's browser by entering a verification code shown on my TV (thank goodness, because the keyboard really does suck).

But yeah. I'm hoping that the new Remote app supports text entry for sure. It'd go a long way toward enabling more interesting types of apps, to be honest - right now no good designer with a conscience can implement text entry in an AppleTV app, tbh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How is general interface performance?

No hitching or anything?

It's running on the iPhone 6 chip, I believe, but I know it has more RAM and possibly a higher clock speed?

You know what app I want on this? Seamless.

Technically I straight up want to be able to tell Siri that I want to order pizza and have it happen really quickly.

But yeah. I'm hoping that the new Remote app supports text entry for sure. It'd go a long way toward enabling more interesting types of apps, to be honest - right now no good designer with a conscience can implement text entry in an AppleTV app, tbh.

Yeah, hoping for a new remote app soon too. It would be nice if it allowed you to use your iPhone as a controller for games too, complete with custom controls. That would be kind of awesome.

Tobor

Yeah, hoping for a new remote app soon too. It would be nice if it allowed you to use your iPhone as a controller for games too, complete with custom controls. That would be kind of awesome.

I'm fairly certain they mentioned using iPhones as controllers at the reveal conference. Probably just a delay in getting the app done.

serious question.

Why is the older apple TV full of apps or icons and this has very few?

I thought these are pre-installed or something.

What am i missing?

I know i can download it just looks EMPTY.

serious question.

Why is the older apple TV full of apps or icons and this has very few?

I thought these are pre-installed or something.

What am i missing?

I know i can download it just looks EMPTY.

I hid most of the garbage on the old Apple TV. I remember when it gave me like five Disney channels lol. It's good only having the stuff I want to have.

LCfiner

Streaming on air video over the new Apple TV is soooo much better than using the PS3. Way faster. Excellent.

Also, I didn't realize I could stil use my hamony remote to control the Apple TV till I read it in here. That's good. Now I can choose from either remote, depending whether I need the swiping actions. Also, letting the apple remote control my receiver volume via IR is very handy, too

Streaming on air video over the new Apple TV is soooo much better than using the PS3. Way faster. Excellent.

Also, I didn't realize I could stil use my hamony remote to control the Apple TV till I read it in here. That's good. Now I can choose from either remote, depending whether I need the swiping actions. Also, letting the apple remote control my receiver volume via IR is very handy, too

Wait, you can have it control *receiver* volume? How do I set that up because I FUCKING WANT THAT.

Can I have it turn the power on to my receiver/TV without HDMI-CEC, just using IR?

Actually, it controls the receiver over HDMI, not IR. Been changing volume while outside of the room. It can even turn the receiver off when the AppleTV goes to sleep if you want, but I disabled that part. Volume is all I need.
Wait, you can have it control *receiver* volume? How do I set that up because I FUCKING WANT THAT
Under devices. Can have it do volume and power, or just volume. Secret best function.

Or remotes. My bad.

Dalek

It really sucks that voice search doesn't search for your local content on Home sharing. I have lots of ripped DVDs in iTunes for my daughter to watch, but it won't pull those up.

MThanded

Actually, it controls the receiver over HDMI, not IR. Been changing volume while outside of the room. It can even turn the receiver off when the AppleTV goes to sleep if you want, but I disabled that part. Volume is all I need.

Under devices. Can have it do volume and power, or just volume. Secret best function.

Or remotes. My bad.
I have mine set up to control over IR. As my Apple TV is actually connected to my tv not my receiver.

Or remotes. My bad.

Can't teach it the power function without HDMI-CEC, even though it should be totally possible to teach it those functions just by beaming the IR signal at it :(

My shitty universal remote broke and I'd *really* love to be able to use the AppleTV remote for simply powering everything on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thing is fast as hell. Worth it for the upgrade alone.

Worried that UIs were going to run amuck (looking at you google). Surprisingly so far HBO Now is the only UI that turned to utter fucking garbage..... Even YouTube is a take on tvml. Will send feedback to HBO. Looks fancy, and it sucks.

New scrubber is godly.

Photos need iCPL. Shared only is so weird.

Keyboard is as bad as everyone says. Such a shame. Makes a BT keyboard almost mandatory. :(

Universal search is incredible. Will be awesome when they open that up.

Music is not great. Kind of clunky without Siri. I'll be using my phone and AirPlay for now.

Discovery on the App Store is horrible. Luckily Purchased still carries over for any universal apps you already own.

Sadly this really feels like a 1.0 product in many ways. The good news is that it's upgradable (software) and the hardware is crazy fast. So it's most likely an when and not if we see improvements.

Biggest upgrade imho would be to just ape the PS4's pointing keyboard if Sony doesn't have it patented. Also Siri on Music. iCloud Photo Library. And bring the App Store presentation more inline with the iPad App Store. Do those few things and this will seriously be the best streaming box on the market by quite a ways.

Edit - CEC compliance seems exceptional. Seriously. Power, input switching and volume worked right out of the box, and the Apple TV registered itself as a "player" on my TV. Anyone have a button shortcut for sleep?

Fake edit - holy crap??? I told Siri "go to sleep" and she responded with "long press the home button to go to sleep"

Photos need iCPL. Shared only is so weird.
TBH, this solves all my issues, in the sense that I do want to have an easily-updated screensaver album but I don't want any old person to be able to browse all of my photos.
Universal search is incredible. Will be awesome when they open that up.
Isn't the API already published, just not live? Should be really soon.

The way the ATV learns IR functions by having you beam the other remote at it, then sends the codes to the ATV remote, is pretty brilliant. It's just a bummer that (for now) that's restricted solely to volume control.

giga

Unless I was a hermit with no friends, I couldn't imagine wanting my full photo library on my TV where anyone can see them..

Top Bottom