• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Sean

Banned
Is there a benefit to having 64gb? Or is 32 fine.

I bought a 64 but thinking of returning it, I use iCloud Photos and Apple Music so 32 seems plenty unless I'm forgetting something.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is there a benefit to having 64gb? Or is 32 fine.

I bought a 64 but thinking of returning it, I use iCloud Photos and Apple Music so 32 seems plenty unless I'm forgetting something.

I'm going with 32gb myself, most content is streamed and the initial downloads for games are 200mb. I'm not planning on doing a lot of gaming on this thing and media apps should be miniscule. I don't see any reason to get the 64gb version personally.

Aurongel

I'm going with 32gb myself, most content is streamed and the initial downloads for games are 200mb. I'm not planning on doing a lot of gaming on this thing and media apps should be miniscule. I don't see any reason to get the 64gb version personally.
I'm honestly shocked that Apple put 32gb of storage into the base model rather than 8/16 like their phones. Seems like a super scummy (see: Applesque) way of getting people to pay for streaming content that I'm surprised they didn't jump on.

Van Owen

Banned
It's nice that Netflix and HBO Go can finally use their modern interfaces on Apple TV. Netflix even has the cool little parallax effect as you hover over items.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

He difference in price is fairly small though so I'd be tempted by the larger one - especially if some big games come out for it

This might be my prompt to finally get an MFI controller - is there a generally accepted best? Would want to use it with my iPad and/or iPhone too

I just called; as I expected, once it's in Preparing For Shipment they can't cancel the order. But I did get her to remove the next-day shipping charge at least. This is the first time I've done an Apple preorder and not hit first-day delivery, which is strange considering it doesn't even seem to have a lot of hype around it. I'm not sure why their shipping logistics are messed up on this one.

I'm okay with this as I'm out of the country, but I expect my Apple products to ship day of. They charged my card at least two days ago. The margins on this stuff are huge, so ship the damn product.

LCfiner

i picked one up in the store since the air video app is available day one.

gotta say, just for the improved netflix app (way faster, much better seeking/scrubbing ability) the update is almost worth it for me already. everything else is gravy

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still haven't shipped mine and its out of stock at every store in my vicinity. Was leaving work to go get one.

I'm screwed.

Thanks Apple.

Still haven't shipped mine and its out of stock at every store in my vicinity. Was leaving work to go get one.

I'm screwed.

Thanks Apple.

I just grabbed mine from a personal pick up I setup this morning. The employee that helped me said they basically had a line this morning of people waiting for them and they were almost sold out of all of their stock. Apple is going to sell a ton of these things this weekend.

MThanded

I just grabbed mine from a personal pick up I setup this morning. The employee that helped me said they basically had a line this morning of people waiting for them and they were almost sold out of all of their stock. Apple is going to sell a ton of these things this weekend.
Yeah well I didn't have time to setup personal pickup. Thats my fault. Should have been on the ball. I figured preordering the device with overnight delivery on the first day of peordering meant I'd get it today.

They gave me back my shipping fee. Now I wait.

Zaph

Can I use speakers with the Apple TV? And what speakers can I use? Do not want to use my tv speakers.

You'll have to connect the speakers to the audio out on your TV or use an AV receiver as a HDMI pass-through. There are no additional outputs on the new Apple TV.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up mine at the nearby Apple Store. I think 32GB will be enough for now. A very welcome addition to my home. The old Apple TV was barely usable at this point.

Got mine, but haven't hooked it up just yet. I did plug in the remote to charge it, but there doesn't seem to be any indictor lights to tell me that it is actually charging, or when it has finished. Guess I'll see if there is some kind of mention of it on the AppleTV itself.

Great build quality out of these devices as usual.

Ninja Dom

Nope. App Discoverability is worse than iOS, which is not something I thought possible.

That's a shame. The selling point that Apple are putting across is that it's all about the Apps. But if you want to see the Apps then you already need to have the Apple TV. That's upside down.

I can turn my tv off, use the volume controls with the Siri remote, but i can't turn the TV on with the remote. Do i need to change something on my TV?

You can also use bluetooth speakers.

Yea thought about getting sound bar and connecting it via optical to my tv but didn't think that was good enough

You'll have to connect the speakers to the audio out on your TV or use an AV receiver as a HDMI pass-through. There are no additional outputs on the new Apple TV.

Also thought about Bluetooth but thought it won't be possible as the remote is connected, it's not possible to connect a Bluetooth speaker. I will check that out later

Thanks

Picked one up at Best Buy, setting up now. My Harmony that was set up for the 2nd gen AppleTV controls this one perfectly. Awesome thing is the remote in the box controls the volume on my receiver through the hdmi port. Very, very nice!

I went ahead and set my new ATV up. Super easy, and it's great that you connect to an iPhone to pull some data. I think it was done in a matter of one or two minutes, and I grabbed my top apps – Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go – from the App Store in no time flat. Logged in and got those working. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes total I think.

New keyboard isn't great, but I didn't find it as bad some others here have said. Plus, once you enter your email address into it, the system remembers it so you don't have to type it again. That saved a lot of time when logging into Netflix and Hulu for instance.

I also downloaded the new version of Oceanhorn, but haven't played it yet. Thought I'd give it a go later to see how the controller works. I'm tempted to get the new Galaxy on Fire game as well, but thought I'd wait to hear what everyone else thought about it.

So far so good. Can't wait to see what apps show up. Lots of potential here.

Awesome thing is the remote in the box controls the volume on my receiver through the hdmi port. Very, very nice!

Yeah, forgot to mention this. The new Siri controller actually operates my TV too. Adjusts volume and turns it off and on. Really slick. My wife is going to love having just one remote for everything.

Yeah well I didn't have time to setup personal pickup. Thats my fault. Should have been on the ball. I figured preordering the device with overnight delivery on the first day of peordering meant I'd get it today.

They gave me back my shipping fee. Now I wait.

I'm assuming if you're near Apple Stores that you also have some Best Buys that are convenient. May want to try and setup store pick up there, mine is showing them in stock and available to pick up today.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yea thought about getting sound bar and connecting it via optical to my tv but didn't think that was good enough

Also thought about Bluetooth but thought it won't be possible as the remote is connected, it's not possible to connect a Bluetooth speaker. I will check that out later

Thanks

a cheapish way is alternatively an Airport Express, which can serve as an AirPlay receiver. I haven't gotten home yet to play with my ATV4, but my ATV3 can select an alternative AirPlay output, which both my AVR and my Airport Express show up as options.

Something that would be awesome would be a steam streaming app with controller support.

is the protocol open source? I am not sure Valve would actually do this as it would seem to cut directly into Steam boxes.

MThanded

Best Buy stores near me just put them out. Go go go!!!!!!

Just grabbed mine. I'll return my apple.com order whenever it shows up.

Yeah, forgot to mention this. The new Siri controller actually operates my TV too. Adjusts volume and turns it off and on. Really slick. My wife is going to love having just one remote for everything.
Been a Harmony user for years. You should get one. They are life changing having only one remote for everything in the home. Now to wait for them to add a microphone to the next model so won't need the new AppleTV remote.

Quasar

There is currently a 3rd party Plex client available for $2.99 called Simple X. Sounds like it's quite good as it's designed to look like one of the native Apple apps. The guy has beta tested it, and is over on the Plex boards including getting congrats from the actual Plex team in shipping his app. So there is an option if you need your Plex fix as soon as you setup you new Apple TV should the official app not be on the store yet. Hell, I'm probably going to buy it just to see how it's different from the official app and see if I like the look anymore than the direction that Plex has been taking all of their apps in.

I think its pretty good. Not as full featured as the official plex app on ios (doesn't support music libraries or channels yet for instance ), but I find it works well and having an interface thats like apple appletv apps rather than the same plex interface thats everywhere is nice.

-griffy-

Banned
Can you return an Apple.com order directly at an Apple retail store? Debating just picking up a box after work so I have the weekend to get it all set up, rather than waiting for my shipment next week.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think its pretty good. Not as full featured as the official plex app on ios (doesn't support music libraries or channels yet for instance ), but I find it works well and having an interface thats like apple appletv apps rather than the same plex interface thats everywhere is nice.

hopefully the full plex app uses tvml with Apple's best practices as well.. really surprised that all streaming apps I've seen so far are using tvml and adhering relatively well to best practices.. thought for sure Google would say "Fuck you guys!!!" with YouTube.

MThanded

Can you return an Apple.com order directly at an Apple retail store? Debating just picking up a box after work so I have the weekend to get it all set up, rather than waiting for my shipment next week.
Yes you can

For some reason my Apple TV can only see my ancient as hell Photo Stream shit and not my actual iCloud Photo Library. Anyone else having that issue?

Quasar

Outside of gaming, how would you folks compare the new Apple TV to the old one in terms of performance, load times, etc.?

Well I still have issues with streaming itunes movies. I guess thats a server/cdn issue though. Otherwise I'd say its much speedier (but then it has a shit-tonne more horsepower and ram so it should).

Top Bottom