• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder just how many apps will be ported to TV, aside from the expected media apps? Seems like Apple has really started fragmenting the inputs on their devices recently

- Apple Watch has force touch and a scroll wheel
- iPad pro is getting a stylus
- iPhone 6s has 3D Touch
- Apple TV has a touch pad

With the Apple TV and Apple Watch presumably being much smaller volumes than iPhone/iPad, will they get developer support? I'm surprised that games need to support the remote as input - effctively rules out many games that would work well with another iOS device as a controller or an MFI controller, but can't readily be adapted for the remote.

Raistlin

And yet, Amazon also shuns one of the fastest growers in the segment, Google, which takes no share of the revenue generation from the app. So Amazon clearly isn't even looking at unit sales of STBs when making these decisions.
I'm admittedly having a long day here (on Vicodin from surgery), but I'm not following? What is Amazon shunning? What segment is Google the fastest growing in? Google settop boxes are not selling well at all.

This is, of course, entirely valid. If the lack of an Amazon app was only affecting Apple. What's the rationale elsewhere?
Again, not following. While no Amazon isn't everywhere, it's certainly on more than Google.

Because that's quite clearly not the primary motivation, as their excluding Google in the EXACT same way dictates, despite Google not offering the 30% revenue cut impediment.
Still not following. Excluding Google from what?

Because Apple makes it clear that they have no intention of offering their services outside of their own ecosystem, whereas Amazon does not. It's because Amazon tries to have it both ways, promoting its service as more of an "anywhere you want to see it" solution when it clearly isn't, and not just for revenue-based reasons.
Has Amazon ever stated they will be on every device? You're acting like this is some kind of binary proposition where you are either on only your own devices or all devices. That's both logically silly, and silly from a business sense. They would likely lose money offering rentals and purchases on an Apple TV unless they can negotiate a special fee structure, and as I explained just having a view-only app is not in their best interests either.

And I don't know what internet you have access to, but there's quite rampant critique of Apple's way of doing business. I don't know what gave you the impression that there wasn't.
Obviously I'm talking about this and similar threads here ... not the world over. The fact other people aren't singling out Amazon proves my point. The ones doing it here are the crazies.

Google, once again, makes it clear that it service is only available on devices that use Google software. There's no ambiguity about it. The moment you promote a service and then allow ambiguity of its availability to creep in, it becomes a sticking point.

And considering the major draw of Amazon Instant Video is... y'know, VIDEO, and it has an app on other devices that compete with it in the app market anyways, that's a weak excuse for the lack of presence and people call them out on it. Again, more ambiguity in the marketing message.
There's a major flaw in this line of thinking though ... Google Play Video is on Roku. Roku isn't an Android device, so the availability creep you refer to is already starting there.

Oh, there is a business decision being made. But the issue is that Google and Apple aren't trying to have it both ways. They very clearly draw lines in the sand of where they intend to operate their business, while Amazon tries to market its service as a "content anywhere" solution that it very clearly is not, trying to have its cake and eat it too by blaming its competitors for them not living up to their own marketing message when it's very clearly Amazon's decision to do what it's doing.
Google isn't following it, since they support Roku for the logical business reason of Roku being the #1 streaming box. Amazon does the same and more, but they're the assholes. Best off, Apple only supports their own devices ... but then people are mad when not everything lands on their box even if this price structure makes it literally impossible to do so.

I'm failing to see the logic in the complaint.

Raistlin

I got mine at the store yesterday. I thought it was cute that the store employee wanted me to "take it for a demo". I just looked at her and said "no need, I know what I want, let's ring it up." She seemed stunned somehow.

So not much to say that other people haven't said already. It's fast, responsive and for the most part a joy to use.

That being said, my personal quibbles:

- on the prior ATV, there was a way to mark an episode as watched or unwatched manually, by hovering over an episode and holding in the primary button. This feature, unless I'm "doing it wrong", seems missing. Which is annoying, since I bought Scream Queens at its current $20 discount price, but I've watched all the current episodes at my friend's place and want them marked as having been already watched.

- Home Sharing is garbage now. Everything about the device is fast until you get to this part of it, and then it's just unusable. The UI is ugly compared to the rest of the device, Home Shared content doesn't get included in results in Universal Search and it actually fails to even stream music properly in its current state (skips parts of songs that didn't stream correctly and keeps playing past the unstreamed sections... EWW). It doesn't appear to be a Wi-Fi issue, and I'll test more to confirm, but the whole Home Sharing experience is jank and broken and desperately needs fixing. Seems like a total afterthought in the design right now.

- I find the touch pad is overly-sensitive for games. Playing Rayman Adventures has been a bit more of a chore than I'd like because of this.

- I don't mind the keyboard as much as others, but that doesn't mean it's good, just a different set of quirks and issues over the prior implementation.

- I'm not as enthralled with the Aerial screensaver as others are. Find them bland. More options aside from photo reels would be nice, and even photos appear to have fewer options for how to display them in screensavers.

- some of the apps that have been created were obvious rushed port jobs. Crunchyroll looks almost exactly like it did on the prior Apple TV, and that's not a compliment to it. My hope is that the new interface and remote will encourage developers to re-think their app designs somewhat.

I'm sure there's other things that I'm forgetting, though.
As others have said, it's a 1.0 product in a bunch of ways, with most of the quibbles being software issues that I can expect to be ironed out. Overall, though? A great product and several steps up from the prior Apple TV, which is what this product line desperately needed.
While not surprising, that's a bit disappointing to hear. As an outsider looking in (not tied to Apple services), I've always kept an eye on their releases to see if it would be a good time to hop on. I've always liked their hardware design and usually their UI's are nice, but there always seems to be a gotcha that's prevented me.

I skipped on the original small form-factor Apple TV (2nd generation) due to the lack of 1080p and Netflix. By the time they rolled around to the 3rd gen, the lack of an app store was really starting to rear its head. They made some strides in getting some of the bigger apps to band-aid the lack of a store later on, but by then they were so behind it didn't matter. Not to mention at that point the hardware performance, UI, and features were getting antiquated since competitors had brought out newer units over it's lifespan.

So the question becomes does the new Apple TV offer enough to get outsiders to hop on board and put to bed their current devices? It appears all the glaring high-level problems versus the competition have been rectified, but as you say this unit has the problem of being a gen 1 product. Not many apps yet, and at least a portion of what's there were obviously put together quickly for launch, many features aren't fully baked, etc. So while one could expect much of this will clear up over time, the question of whether this offering is enough to get people to move from competitors? It doesn't really sound like it.

Apple has claimed they no longer want this to be 'a hobby', but it doesn't look like they overshot the competition. For the most part it offers the same things they do, but with the typical issues a 1st gen product and new ecosystem have. So even if you disregard that people using competitors' devices likely have content they can't bring over (VUDU, Amazon, Google, etc), I'm not sure what's on offer is compelling enough to get lots of people to abandon ship. Will games do it? Maybe? But if that doesn't amount to much, I'm not sure how they plan to get people to move over in droves. It would seem their best hope is that they can someone expand the market in general and get new people who aren't already using settop streaming boxes. Otherwise it would seem that this still mostly targets people already in the Apple ecosphere.

Guess Who

Banned
Aside from Siri and snappier menu navigation I'm honestly not seeing much reason to upgrade from my third gen, seeing as all my streaming needs are met by Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Home Sharing. I do not use Plex and I have no interest in ATV games.

I honestly kinda prefer the 3rd gen's UI for being largely black and having natively-styled Netflix/Hulu apps.

I'm watching Lost In Translation on mine right now. Overall I'm satisfied with it, but I think with some software updates it'll become that actual killer thing. Few more apps, few more options, better Siri.

Come Christmas/early 2016 I think this thing will deserve a new look

Raistlin

If it does DTS they don't list it in the specs which is weird. You'd think they'd want to let people know that they are one of the few boxes to offer it.
Okay I did a double check, and actually I believe you're both right. Kodi can bitstream DTS on FireTV, but that's because it is basically bypassing all the standard API's. The native API (ie. what the vast majority of apps use on it) does not offer it.

So if that's the case, certainly it is not something that would be advertised by Amazon. My point still stands though. The actual SoC's used in all of the devices support DTS bitstreaming. So if utilizing it is a cost / fee thing, they should offer an 'app' to unlock it.

And to be clear this isn't a new concept by any means, MS has done similar things in the past for Windows codecs.

Raistlin

Still wish I could stream my stuff from my NAS without a computer.
If Plex isn't available on your NAS, I assume it at least offers DNLA? I'm sure plenty of DNLA players will hit in due time.

Also VLC is hitting. I assume they'll be able to directly mount shares?

Matt

Yeah I noticed on "auto" Hulu gets sent as PCM2.0 (Hulu doesn't do Dolby at all) whereas Dolby 5.1 gets sent as multi-channel 7.1. I am fine with it... Just the ambiguity of what's being passed along with the limited options is annoying. I guess I'll just assume Apple is decoding the discrete audio correctly and sending it as 7.1

As far as I know Hulu only sends out stereo...

Dead

well not really...yet
My Apple TV remote has no trouble turning on my TV and receiver, but it only turns off the receiver and not the TV. HDMI-CEC actin weird. Oh well.

Terrell

I'm admittedly having a long day here (on Vicodin from surgery), but I'm not following? What is Amazon shunning? What segment is Google the fastest growing in? Google settop boxes are not selling well at all.

Chromecast is a MAJOR seller, overtaking yearly Roku sales in 2014, and Amazon Instant Video could be on that. It's not whatsoever.
Granted, Chromecast has slowed since then, but its meteoric growth has been all but ignored by Amazon. And then having it removed from sale from Amazon.com, when the only thing preventing its compatibility with Amazon Video was... Amazon.

Again, not following. While no Amazon isn't everywhere, it's certainly on more than Google.

Google doesn't require a revenue cut and Chromecast doesn't really offer apps outside of video services that would be seen as competing with Amazon. Amazon Video isn't on it due to Amazon just not bothering to and Amazon stopped selling Chromecast devices.

It's clearly just Amazon using its internet retail position to try and create a vacuum in this device category that favors its own services by proxy. That's why people come down on Amazon for it so hard.
And not just us, industry watchers think the reasons Amazon gave for pulling set-top boxes from their store is total bullshit, too. Michael Pachter had a salient point (for once) on this exact subject:

Bloomberg said:
Amazon’s decision to limit selection "sends the wrong signal to consumers," and the company’s explanation that Prime Video doesn’t work well with its rivals’ products is "especially weak," said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities in Los Angeles.
"Fewer than 20 percent of Amazon customers are Prime members," Pachter said. "What about the 80 percent who want an Apple TV to stream Netflix? I think that the excuse of avoiding customer confusion is a not-so-veiled attempt to favor Amazon first-party products over third-party products, and think it was a bad move."

Others have also stated it runs against the consensus of Amazon as the "everything store", and this was a move made for churlish reasons.

Has Amazon ever stated they will be on every device? You're acting like this is some kind of binary proposition where you are either on only your own devices or all devices. That's both logically silly, and silly from a business sense.

From the Getting Started page on Amazon Video:

"Watch Anywhere
You can watch anywhere: in your living room, online, or on the go. Movies and TV shows are available to stream instantly on Amazon Fire TV, Fire HDX, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Wii U, iPad, iPhone, Roku, and on hundreds of TVs, Blu-ray players, set-top boxes, and on the Web."

Yeah.... I dunno what impression you think consumers are supposed to draw from that phrasing. Especially when it's on so few "set-top boxes" that they could name the brands without unduly elongating that paragraph.

Obviously I'm talking about this and similar threads here ... not the world over. The fact other people aren't singling out Amazon proves my point. The ones doing it here are the crazies.

Oh, but as I already mentioned, industry watchers are echoing the same things people in this thread are saying. So it's not just the crazies.

There's a major flaw in this line of thinking though ... Google Play Video is on Roku. Roku isn't an Android device, so the availability creep you refer to is already starting there.

And that happened in 2014, LONG after Google launched the service, and barely advertises or advocates its existence on the Roku device. So a single never-mentioned exception to its marketing message does not change expectations about how Google conducts its business.

Google isn't following it, since they support Roku for the logical business reason of Roku being the #1 streaming box. Amazon does the same and more, but they're the assholes.

A baby step outside its marketing message without actually changing their market message is hardly the same situation.

And Google isn't leveraging a retail position to squeeze others out of a retail space, either. It was the 2 actions in tandem that had people incensed and made it clear what was actually going on.

Best off, Apple only supports their own devices ... but then people are mad when not everything lands on their box even if this price structure makes it literally impossible to do so.

I'm failing to see the logic in the complaint.

I hope I've clarified it for you.

While not surprising, that's a bit disappointing to hear. As an outsider looking in (not tied to Apple services), I've always kept an eye on their releases to see if it would be a good time to hop on. I've always liked their hardware design and usually their UI's are nice, but there always seems to be a gotcha that's prevented me.
So the question becomes does the new Apple TV offer enough to get outsiders to hop on board and put to bed their current devices? It appears all the glaring high-level problems versus the competition have been rectified, but as you say this unit has the problem of being a gen 1 product. Not many apps yet, and at least a portion of what's there were obviously put together quickly for launch, many features aren't fully baked, etc. So while one could expect much of this will clear up over time, the question of whether this offering is enough to get people to move from competitors? It doesn't really sound like it.

As the person making these critiques, I still don't regret the upgrade one bit. What it brings to the table is still compelling enough to make my issues with it fade away a bit. And since I'm confident these issues will be addressed, as others have already noted, it's just early-adoption stuff we see with other technologies and nothing that takes away from what it offers.

Apple has claimed they no longer want this to be 'a hobby', but it doesn't look like they overshot the competition. For the most part it offers the same things they do, but with the typical issues a 1st gen product and new ecosystem have. So even if you disregard that people using competitors' devices likely have content they can't bring over (VUDU, Amazon, Google, etc), I'm not sure what's on offer is compelling enough to get lots of people to abandon ship. Will games do it? Maybe? But if that doesn't amount to much, I'm not sure how they plan to get people to move over in droves. It would seem their best hope is that they can someone expand the market in general and get new people who aren't already using settop streaming boxes. Otherwise it would seem that this still mostly targets people already in the Apple ecosphere.

Bingo. Apple TV barely even addresses a portion of the people in the Apple ecosphere, so even selling to more people in those boundaries will do wonders for its market position.

And in terms of the effectiveness of things like Siri, it overshoots its competition in how useful it is, if not in bulletpoints, which is kind of Apple's MO in the first place: do things in a way that the consumer finds compelling and more useful than with their competitors.

If Plex isn't available on your NAS, I assume it at least offers DNLA? I'm sure plenty of DNLA players will hit in due time.

Also VLC is hitting. I assume they'll be able to directly mount shares?
The loads of ripped DVDs should be good with plex, but would also like to play content bought from iTunes off it.

Somnid

Chromecast is a MAJOR seller, overtaking yearly Roku sales in 2014, and Amazon Instant Video could be on that. It's not whatsoever.
Granted, Chromecast has slowed since then, but its meteoric growth has been all but ignored by Amazon. And then having it removed from sale from Amazon.com, when the only thing preventing its compatibility with Amazon Video was... Amazon.

Google doesn't require a revenue cut and Chromecast doesn't really offer apps outside of video services that would be seen as competing with Amazon. Amazon Video isn't on it due to Amazon just not bothering to and Amazon stopped selling Chromecast devices.

It's clearly just Amazon using its internet retail position to try and create a vacuum in this device category that favors its own services by proxy. That's why people come down on Amazon for it so hard.

I wrote a long post quite a few pages back. Amazon and Google have major problems because Google is using it's position with Android to push itself while simultaneously making things very difficult for Amazon to utilize it, particularly their app store. It's not quite the same issues with Apple. Amazon uses Prime Video as leverage against Google Android for ecosystem competitive reasons, not really for hardware.

Amazon frequently squeezes when they don't like a deal. They do it with book publishers (notably Hachet), they've done it with Disney over DVDs, they recently had a lawsuit with Multi Time Machine watches (which they have never sold), Nintendo hardware etc. It's not out of character, they are a very hardball company.

Sean

Banned
So I bought the Steelseries Nimbus controller and tried it out on a couple of different games (Rayman, Asphalt, Edge). My first impressions are positive.

It's basically a clone of the Xbox controller (the size, weight, shape, face buttons, thumbsticks are nearly identical) but with symmetrical analog sticks. The shoulder buttons and triggers are more similar to the Dual Shock 4 however. If you're a console gamer this should feel instantly familiar and comfortable.

You can turn it on and off easily with a toggle switch, pair it easily, check battery status via the LED's on the front. It recharges via lightning cable (not included). I don't believe there's any rumble or gyro support though. But it's kind of neat that you can navigate the tvOS with a controller. Also there's an optional Nimbus companion app (for iOS) that you can update the controller firmware wirelessly and see a listing of compatible games.

If you're on the fence I would probably wait a bit before buying (any) controller though. The fact that Apple requires game developers to support the Siri remote means a lot of the more complex/console-like games you'd want to use a controller for probably won't even come to the system in the first place.

Raistlin

As I've stated, there is no obligation for Amazon to be on everything. You seem to be stuck on this binary viewpoint. There are some obvious business reasons why Amazon would avoid certain devices, even with the sales of the Chromcast it's nowhere near a majority of the overall 10' UI market.

That said, you can cast from your Android phone ... obviously native support would be far more preferable though.

Like it or not, the relationship 'difficulties' between Amazon and Google are much bigger than their video services, and started well before either had video offerings.

I'm confused though. Is Chromecast and Android TV handled differently than the rest of the Play Store?

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/1153481?hl=en

According to this, there is a standard 30% fee for in-app transactions just like Apple? Would video rentals and purchases not be subject to this?

And not just us, industry watchers think the reasons Amazon gave for pulling set-top boxes from their store is total bullshit, too. Michael Pachter had a salient point (for once) on this exact subject:

Others have also stated it runs against the consensus of Amazon as the "everything store", and this was a move made for churlish reasons.
Lol at citing Pachter of all people :p, but where in this conversation did I say anything about their public reasoning to pull Apple TV and Android streaming devices as not being bullshit? I didn't comment on it either way. I haven't been arguing that. I personally think it may be bargaining move in order to negotiate a better rates. But who knows, it could very well be a straight play to gain market share.

As far as Amazon being the 'everything store' though ... come on ... really? I mean it's a typical PR tagline. Have they ever actually sold everything, even before this situation? I think it's ridiculous to take that phrase as being literal, or that there is any intent to actually mislead people into thinking it's the case. Though I admittedly don't personally like the move.

From the Getting Started page on Amazon Video:

"Watch Anywhere
You can watch anywhere: in your living room, online, or on the go. Movies and TV shows are available to stream instantly on Amazon Fire TV, Fire HDX, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Wii U, iPad, iPhone, Roku, and on hundreds of TVs, Blu-ray players, set-top boxes, and on the Web."
What in that is not true? You can watch it in your living room, online, or on the go. Is that not true?

Yeah.... I dunno what impression you think consumers are supposed to draw from that phrasing. Especially when it's on so few "set-top boxes" that they could name the brands without unduly elongating that paragraph.
If your argument that they're intentionally misleading consumers because they're going to assume whatever set-top box they have must obviously have an Amazon app? I think that's a bridge too far.

If the point here is to dissect taglines and similar PR statements, I can find plenty from every company - including Apple and Google - that are in the same vein.

Oh, but as I already mentioned, industry watchers are echoing the same things people in this thread are saying. So it's not just the crazies.
Again, your quote is talking about Amazon's decision to not carry other people's streaming devices ... which is not at all what I've been discussing. What I was saying is I don't think the general populace has some expectation of Amazon Videos being on every device.

And that happened in 2014, LONG after Google launched the service, and barely advertises or advocates its existence on the Roku device. So a single never-mentioned exception to its marketing message does not change expectations about how Google conducts its business.
I admittedly haven't paid attention to how Google advertises its existence, but let me share two pictures I just took from my Roku.

Here we have when you highlight the Streaming Channels section from the main menu. You haven't even clicked anything, it's just showing some of the apps they're promoting.
rKHWbvn.png

And here's when you actually click on the Streaming Channels which opens up the Channel Store. It starts on the Featured section, which just so happens to have Google Play in a prominent position.
CHS4yrW.jpg

Just pretending it doesn't count doesn't make it so.

A baby step outside its marketing message without actually changing their market message is hardly the same situation.
Placing your app on the market leading box where it is advertised as a featured app is a baby step that doesn't change their message at all? That comes off as moving the goal posts after your statement was shown to not be the case.

Basically it amounts to Google Play Movies and TV is only available on Android device ... except when it isn't.

And Google isn't leveraging a retail position to squeeze others out of a retail space, either. It was the 2 actions in tandem that had people incensed and made it clear what was actually going on.
Google isn't leveraging its retail position to squeeze out others because it doesn't have one though. Do you honestly think they wouldn't if they did have one?

Remember when Apple Stores used to have various headphones? Then they bought Beats and only carry them? Didn't they do something similar with smart devices once HomeKit become a thing? While I don't like to play what ifs like this, I think it's disingenuous to assume Google wouldn't play the same sort of game here.

That said, I'm confused how those 2 actions where really in tandem though. It's not like Amazon pulled apps it had on competitors' platforms. Apple TV has been around for years, and there was never an Amazon Video app on it. Various forms of Android streaming boxes have been around, and those never had Amazon Video apps either. So it's not like it's some new unexpected situation.

The shit they did pulling devices from their store was obviously newsworthy and I completely understand why people are pissed about it. I'm just confused how that's stirring such new ire about the lack of a video app

I hope I've clarified it for you.
While you did, I think you're conflating what happened with Amazon.com pulling devices with the lack of apps on certain platforms. It's not something I've argued in favor of.

We've been arguing about a lot of different things, and I think we're moving away from the main point. Actually your quote from Pachter is unintentionally relevant to what I've been discussing. He mentions 'Fewer than 20 percent of Amazon customers are Prime members...' when arguing about Amazon's explanation about video ... which misses the point like everyone seems to be doing.

The bigger issue on Apple TV (and Android devices unless I'm misunderstanding their fees) is the inability for Amazon to offer competitive 'in app' rentals and purchases, and that offering a 'view only' app is a non-starter. I have yet to see any of the people demanding an Amazon Apple TV app give a rational counter argument to the issues I've brought up. How would Amazon actually make an app under these circumstances? It doesn't make any reasonable business sense to do so.

As the person making these critiques, I still don't regret the upgrade one bit. What it brings to the table is still compelling enough to make my issues with it fade away a bit. And since I'm confident these issues will be addressed, as others have already noted, it's just early-adoption stuff we see with other technologies and nothing that takes away from what it offers.
What are you upgrading from though? Is it a previous Apple TV? That isn't what I'm arguing.

Bingo. Apple TV barely even addresses a portion of the people in the Apple ecosphere, so even selling to more people in those boundaries will do wonders for its market position.
Possibly. Though I wonder why those people hadn't already bought in?

And in terms of the effectiveness of things like Siri, it overshoots its competition in how useful it is, if not in bulletpoints, which is kind of Apple's MO in the first place: do things in a way that the consumer finds compelling and more useful than with their competitors.
Both Amazon and Roku already have universal voice search though, and Amazon's update to use Alexa is already including natural voice features.

I do really like some of the features Apple has done in terms of search groupings though, they are smart and useful, but to outright state Apple as having overshot the competition seems to be overshooting the reality. They've refined how search works, I'll give them that ... but how long will that advantage last?

There are pluses and minuses with all of these devices, but I think it's an overreach to state Apple has taken some sort of real lead here. Seems more like they're generally on par (minus 4K), but that in itself is a big jump from how Apple TV has been in the past. Or at least they'll generally be there once they iron out the 1st gen bugs and get more apps. For a prospective buyer right now, you can't even say it's on par yet.

I guess I'm just disappointed by the hype stemming from what Jobs stated about 'solving TV'. I don't know if that was all fluff, referred to the physical TV that never happened, or was related to the TV service that still hasn't happened. Who knows, maybe he was talking about Siri searching. I guess if it was that or the TV service ... the problem is by the time Apple has gotten to it, others have already done it. Point being, I was hoping for more than just essentially matching the competition. Though like I said, that's better than where they've been. So I'm happy for people that are in the Apple ecosystem to finally have a competitive device. I just don't see it as offering a compelling reason for modern Roku or Fire TV owners to jump ship. Particularly given the price premium.

Used it much of the night and it really shows a lot of potential. Very fast, can have multiple apps running/suspended, having games is pretty cool, and finally we Netflix, HBO, etc apps that aren't complete turds. Having Siri around to give me sports scores and the weather is cool

Downsides for me:
- audio oddities. I finally just set everything to basic stereo. Still sounds great.
- the touchpad is craaaaaaap. Especially for games. Yes, I adjust the sensitivity and yes its still crap, which is a shame because that Rayman game is fun
- as has been said many times, the keyboard is shit. Get us a remote app soon please
- Siri is incredibly limited

Once this thing has a proper web browser, Twitch app, Spotify app and some really good puzzle games, I think it'll be the best streaming box. As it is now, it's my go-to device for Netflix/NBC/Fox/FX/ESPN/Hulu. No more using my PS4 to stream anything other than Amazon Prime.

So has Safari always had the ability to search streaming sites or was that recently updated to match the Apple TV? I just noticed it tonight

VtpiN84.png

Dalek

Are these screen savers computer generated/enhanced? The cars and people seem to be moving at an unnatural speed/motion. Something seems off to me.

Sean

Banned
So has Safari always had the ability to search streaming sites or was that recently updated to match the Apple TV? I just noticed it tonight

VtpiN84.png

Interesting. I just tried this and it didn't work at first, then I logged in to hbogo.com and it did. Handy feature, even works on their TV series.

jarosh

Is anyone here using an HDMI/optical audio splitter with the new Apple TV and can recommend one (for AV Receivers that only take optical audio and not audio over HDMI)?

VtpiN84.png

It's probably the Universal Links feature added in iOS 9. I guess Safari for Mac supports it now also.

Are these screen savers computer generated/enhanced? The cars and people seem to be moving at an unnatural speed/motion. Something seems off to me.

The film is just sped up.

Is anyone here using an HDMI/optical audio splitter with the new Apple TV and can recommend one (for AV Receivers that only take optical audio and not audio over HDMI)?

I don't use one, but I've always had good experiences with Monoprice products. This HDMI audio splitter seems to work well for people, with the caveat that some people are having problems with the Roku and Dolby+, which Netflix sends out. If the Apple TV is pre-decoding Dolby streams as noted earlier, this may not be an issue with the ATV. Also note that Dolby True HD audio can't be split because optical just doesn't have the bandwidth to support it. But for most material you should be fine.

jarosh

I don't use one, but I've always had good experiences with Monoprice products. This HDMI audio splitter seems to work well for people, with the caveat that some people are having problems with the Roku and Dolby+, which Netflix sends out. If the Apple TV is pre-decoding Dolby streams as noted earlier, this may not be an issue with the ATV. Also note that Dolby True HD audio can't be split because optical just doesn't have the bandwidth to support it. But for most material you should be fine.

Thanks. I will probably get something like this first and test it with the old Apple TV before buying the new one.

Terrell

I wrote a long post quite a few pages back. Amazon and Google have major problems because Google is using it's position with Android to push itself while simultaneously making things very difficult for Amazon to utilize it, particularly their app store. It's not quite the same issues with Apple. Amazon uses Prime Video as leverage against Google Android for ecosystem competitive reasons, not really for hardware.

Amazon frequently squeezes when they don't like a deal. They do it with book publishers (notably Hachet), they've done it with Disney over DVDs, they recently had a lawsuit with Multi Time Machine watches (which they have never sold), Nintendo hardware etc. It's not out of character, they are a very hardball company.

Yes, and every time they try to squeeze something out and play hardball, they fall under immense scrutiny for doing so. I don't see why people are advocating that they get a free pass here because it involves Apple and "it's just business".

Also, Amazon doesn't HAVE an ecosystem, they forfeit that when they release their software on a wide range of 3rd-party devices. They have a service, nothing more.

By your logic, it will make perfect sense for Amazon to pull Video support from game consoles, as well, since they have app markets that compete for attention and Sony is even launching a television service. They could see Sony moving in and "leverage their position" again, as you say, and apparently everyone should be fine with that. But they don't and they likely won't. So it's not quite as clear-cut when and where they make those decisions. Their decisions appear almost vendetta-esque considering how non-uniformly they are applied.

And this is without mentioning Chromecast, which is a device with no app market to be squeezed out of. Hell, Amazon even brought Twitch to Chromecast, FFS, so their decision-making process of what is and isn't permitted under their banner is so terribly inconsistent.

And the devices they squeezed out for "confusing customers" was also inconsistent, as they left Vudu alone, which also doesn't serve Amazon content, among others.

So it feels very clearly that Amazon isn't doing it for consumers as they have said in press releases and is a blatant shot against who it feels are its strongest competitors. Truly should have been an all-or-nothing approach or at least honest with its reasoning.

As I've stated, there is no obligation for Amazon to be on everything. You seem to be stuck on this binary viewpoint. There are some obvious business reasons why Amazon would avoid certain devices, even with the sales of the Chromcast it's nowhere near a majority of the overall 10' UI market.

Wii U isn't exactly in a plurality of homes, either, and yet...

And no, there isn't an obligation, until you make it a wholly deserved expectation. When you're already present on so many devices, an expectation develops that cannot be shaken. And that expectation becomes a strongly-held marketing message that's re-inforced by Amazon's own ambiguity with its consumers.

I'm confused though. Is Chromecast and Android TV handled differently than the rest of the Play Store?

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/1153481?hl=en

According to this, there is a standard 30% fee for in-app transactions just like Apple? Would video rentals and purchases not be subject to this?

No, they are not.

Lol at citing Pachter of all people :p, but where in this conversation did I say anything about their public reasoning to pull Apple TV and Android streaming devices as not being bullshit? I didn't comment on it either way. I haven't been arguing that. I personally think it may be bargaining move in order to negotiate a better rates. But who knows, it could very well be a straight play to gain market share.

The 2 things are now inexorably linked, as it demonstrates Amazon would rather shut its consumers out of using their service unless its on their extremely undefined terms. Google and Apple define the terms of what consumers should expect much more directly. Amazon consumers are at the whims of Amazon as to where their service will work with these decisions and will change on a dime if the makers of the devices Amazon Video is currently available on threaten their market position in any way, despite presenting themselves as consumer-friendly via wide device compatibility.

What in that is not true? You can watch it in your living room, online, or on the go. Is that not true?

Right now, I can't watch Amazon Video "anywhere" by virtue of the hardware I own. It's not true for me whatsoever. Apparently Apple TV isn't a set-top box now, which they've ambiguously included among the devices it's available on. It presents an impression of prolific usability across devices, when clearly it's not the case. They'll break down each individual console it's available on, despite being on ALL of them, but then suddenly goes ambiguous when being specific hurts that messaging.

If your argument that they're intentionally misleading consumers because they're going to assume whatever set-top box they have must obviously have an Amazon app? I think that's a bridge too far.

Not really. As I said, why be specific with game consoles despite being on all of them and then not when it does them a disservice to their marketing? Seems pretty clear to me what they're angling for, to present availability in the best light possible, which would be to present it as prolifically as possible.

If the point here is to dissect taglines and similar PR statements, I can find plenty from every company - including Apple and Google - that are in the same vein.

When it comes to device compatibility? Unlikely. That part of their messaging is always exceptionally clear.

Again, your quote is talking about Amazon's decision to not carry other people's streaming devices ... which is not at all what I've been discussing. What I was saying is I don't think the general populace has some expectation of Amazon Videos being on every device.

If that wasn't an expectation, this discussion would never exist in the first place, would it?

I admittedly haven't paid attention to how Google advertises its existence, but let me share two pictures I just took from my Roku.

Here we have when you highlight the Streaming Channels section from the main menu. You haven't even clicked anything, it's just showing some of the apps they're promoting.
rKHWbvn.png

And here's when you actually click on the Streaming Channels which opens up the Channel Store. It starts on the Featured section, which just so happens to have Google Play in a prominent position.
CHS4yrW.jpg

Just pretending it doesn't count doesn't make it so.

That Roku wants to advertise that Google is there doesn't change Google's own marketing message at all. That's Roku, not Google.

Placing your app on the market leading box where it is advertised as a featured app is a baby step that doesn't change their message at all? That comes off as moving the goal posts after your statement was shown to not be the case.

It's one device outside of their prior parameters, which has not been replicated since, and Google never discusses. So yeah, it's no giant leap into expanding Google Play outside of Google's grasp.

That said, I'm confused how those 2 actions where really in tandem though. It's not like Amazon pulled apps it had on competitors' platforms.

Yet. The fact that it's being excused as OK to not be present because Amazon has a personal beef with Apple and Google opens up that removing it from devices it's currently on if it even slightly perturbs Amazon is "just business" and fully OK.

In fact, it may already be happening, as Amazon Video was removed from compatibility in a bunch of Samsung and LG smart TVs.

The shit they did pulling devices from their store was obviously newsworthy and I completely understand why people are pissed about it. I'm just confused how that's stirring such new ire about the lack of a video app

Because one move that's intended specifically to stifle select competitors but not others will inevitably lead to the other, especially when it involves the same names again, and thus can be assumed to be done for the same reasons. And considering the reasons they gave for pulling those devices was total bullshit, we can't exactly trust that any reasons given for a lack of Amazon Video support aren't bullshit, either, especially when their largest competitor, Netflix, isn't batting a single damn eyelash to be on literally everything under the sun.

The bigger issue on Apple TV (and Android devices unless I'm misunderstanding their fees) is the inability for Amazon to offer competitive 'in app' rentals and purchases, and that offering a 'view only' app is a non-starter. I have yet to see any of the people demanding an Amazon Apple TV app give a rational counter argument to the issues I've brought up.

Given how we're not privy to negotiations, and Amazon not being honest in their business reasoning, the issues you brought up might not be the issue we think is at the heart of this situation.

What are you upgrading from though? Is it a previous Apple TV? That isn't what I'm arguing.

It is.

Possibly. Though I wonder why those people hadn't already bought in?

By comparison to other Apple devices, it was:

- slow
- visually bland
- not marketed
- not heavily discussed in tech media

Also against it is the market, where it:
- began its existence prior to the major uptick in cord-cutting
- did not evolve beyond its second generation in 2010 in any meaningful way to distinguish itself beyond its 2010 feature set

I can admit that it ATV has not been a device intended to dazzle anyone. This device? Yeah, there's much to be said about how it takes away a lot of the issues above.

Both Amazon and Roku already have universal voice search though, and Amazon's update to use Alexa is already including natural voice features.

The voice search options has been tested against and Siri on Apple TV has left the other devices to seem severely lacking. It does it better, essentially. And Alexa may use natural voice features, but I wonder how flexibly? If the options to search with are still lacking, it still comes up short. We'll have to see if it can stack up.

I do really like some of the features Apple has done in terms of search groupings though, they are smart and useful, but to outright state Apple as having overshot the competition seems to be overshooting the reality. They've refined how search works, I'll give them that ... but how long will that advantage last?

That depends on how much work it takes to achieve it, and how it's achieved.

I guess I'm just disappointed by the hype stemming from what Jobs stated about 'solving TV'. I don't know if that was all fluff, referred to the physical TV that never happened, or was related to the TV service that still hasn't happened. Who knows, maybe he was talking about Siri searching. I guess if it was that or the TV service ... the problem is by the time Apple has gotten to it, others have already done it. Point being, I was hoping for more than just essentially matching the competition. Though like I said, that's better than where they've been. So I'm happy for people that are in the Apple ecosystem to finally have a competitive device. I just don't see it as offering a compelling reason for modern Roku or Fire TV owners to jump ship. Particularly given the price premium.

The market is so small, even now, that luring in existing consumers from other brands isn't even required, because the segment is growing. It's all about capturing new consumers at the moment until the addressable market hits a plateau. And that's where Apple, when it puts its mind to it, always has the advantage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I bought the Steelseries Nimbus controller and tried it out on a couple of different games (Rayman, Asphalt, Edge). My first impressions are positive.

It's basically a clone of the Xbox controller (the size, weight, shape, face buttons, thumbsticks are nearly identical) but with symmetrical analog sticks. The shoulder buttons and triggers are more similar to the Dual Shock 4 however. If you're a console gamer this should feel instantly familiar and comfortable.

You can turn it on and off easily with a toggle switch, pair it easily, check battery status via the LED's on the front. It recharges via lightning cable (not included). I don't believe there's any rumble or gyro support though. But it's kind of neat that you can navigate the tvOS with a controller. Also there's an optional Nimbus companion app (for iOS) that you can update the controller firmware wirelessly and see a listing of compatible games.

If you're on the fence I would probably wait a bit before buying (any) controller though. The fact that Apple requires game developers to support the Siri remote means a lot of the more complex/console-like games you'd want to use a controller for probably won't even come to the system in the first place.

Can it easily pair with other devices? I'd want to use it with my iPad too.

Agree on the forced Siri remote requirements, but hopefully we'll get a decent increase in games supporting mfi controllers generally.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah Safari on both iOS and OS X started returning streaming service results back when you search for movies and tv shows. Makes sense. Better to have universal development on it than ATV-only. Will probably also make devs happy when their service's content is brought back on a device search.

The controller being optional is really a shame. My brief gaming experience on the box has actually been extremely positive. If they allowed games to require controllers they could possibly do for console gaming what they did for smartphones. Well that and fix app discovery. Though if an app is universal it doesn't seem like a big deal. Would only matter if the app was ATV exclusive.
Can it easily pair with other devices? I'd want to use it with my iPad too.

Agree on the forced Siri remote requirements, but hopefully we'll get a decent increase in games supporting mfi controllers generally.
I'd almost guarantee we will. Out of apple's screw ups here, making controller support front and center on an app page was actually a great move.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Once this thing has a proper web browser, Twitch app, Spotify app and some really good puzzle games, I think it'll be the best streaming box. As it is now, it's my go-to device for Netflix/NBC/Fox/FX/ESPN/Hulu. No more using my PS4 to stream anything other than Amazon Prime.

This is where things start to fall down for me though. What's the pont in universal search when it isn't...universal? If people are subscribed to multiple video services they want to be able to browse and consume in the same space - doesn't seem an unrealistic expectation.

Both apple and Amazon are equally bad at this for rental/purchased videos. Amazon do not have apps on several platforms, and same with Apple. So why - as a consumer - should I invest my money in those platforms if they are partly dictating how I consume their content? Renting isn't so bad - I can make an informed decision on where I'm likely to play a movie and pick either iTunes or Amazon (or others) based on that. It'll be gone in 48hrs anyway. But purchases, I don't know when or where I'll want to play those the future, and so I avoid buying from any service because of lack of confidence in playing when I want, where I want. So I continue to buy and rip blurays. If the services offered DRM free video I'd be more likely to use them, and also that may push the services into becoming more platform agnostic.

this_guy

Right now, I can't watch Amazon Video "anywhere" by virtue of the hardware I own. It's not true for me whatsoever. Apparently Apple TV isn't a set-top box now, which they've ambiguously included among the devices it's available on. It presents an impression of prolific usability across devices, when clearly it's not the case. They'll break down each individual console it's available on, despite being on ALL of them, but then suddenly goes ambiguous when being specific hurts that messaging.

Is this really your argument? Amazon specifically cites what hardware you can use to watch "anywhere". Of course if you don't own the hardware you can't watch it. If I don't own a tv I don't blame the movie studio when I can't watch a movie at home, even if the movie studio tells me I can now watch said movie in the comfort of my own home.

I have an Amazon Fire TV (1st gen) and wished it had Vudu support as well. My next streaming box will be Roku because it has both services I use. I try to be platform agnostic so I'm not tied to a particular manufacturer.

Chittagong

Gold Member
First impressions

I can't believe Apple put out yet another half baked Apple TV. Everything is just a bit shitty:

- If your phone wifi is not on when pairing, you'll need to reboot your phone to get another chance at the pairing

- Apple TV will ask your Apple ID password anyway. Even worse, it will force you to go to iTunes on your computer to re-verify your account. WTF.

- Siri Music search is not working. It works perfectly on iPhone and iPad, but not on Apple TV, not until January at the very earliest.

- Many apps are a joke, really. Especially Airbnb. You can browse through a couple of random things. To favourite something you need to punch in a random code on your computer. There is no way to search or book in the app, just to see three random pics of random highlighted properties.

The basic video apps and search work well enough, fortunately.

This is now the second product in a row that's released in a half assed way, Apple Watch being the first one. I am starting to fear that Apple is losing their magic touch.

Yeah Safari on both iOS and OS X started returning streaming service results back when you search for movies and tv shows. Makes sense. Better to have universal development on it than ATV-only. Will probably also make devs happy when their service's content is brought back on a device search.

The controller being optional is really a shame. My brief gaming experience on the box has actually been extremely positive. If they allowed games to require controllers they could possibly do for console gaming what they did for smartphones. Well that and fix app discovery. Though if an app is universal it doesn't seem like a big deal. Would only matter if the app was ATV exclusive.

I'd almost guarantee we will. Out of apple's screw ups here, making controller support front and center on an app page was actually a great move.

I think we'll find that it's an issue of the Apple TV being a new launch. We can all agree that the games would be better with a controller, but if Apple didn't require the siri remote, you'd have a frustrating experience where you buy the device and ~most of the games require using a controller.

Once we get an installed base and a good selection of games, then Apple can relax the restriction, but for now it's just smart. The AppleTV is a video/app device first and foremost for now and they were absolutely NOT going to be bundling in a controller when ~probably most people won't be gaming on it (beyond casual gaming).

holygeesus

Banned
Seriously, why can I not buy apps for my Apple TV in the Mac app store and any other combination really? Is it to stop dumb people from buying apps for devices they don't own? If I have an iTunes account covering all my devices, I should be able to browse and buy for any device I own!

Majine

Banned
Seriously, why can I not buy apps for my Apple TV in the Mac app store and any other combination really? Is it to stop dumb people from buying apps for devices they don't own? If I have an iTunes account covering all my devices, I should be able to browse and buy for any device I own!

I would also like to see what the app marketplace looks like before I buy an Apple TV.

Yeah, not being able to access the store on other devices sucks. I have an Apple TV, but i'd rather by stuff on iOS/os x and have it just download on the Apple TV.

I think we'll find that it's an issue of the Apple TV being a new launch. We can all agree that the games would be better with a controller, but if Apple didn't require the siri remote, you'd have a frustrating experience where you buy the device and ~most of the games require using a controller.

Once we get an installed base and a good selection of games, then Apple can relax the restriction, but for now it's just smart. The AppleTV is a video/app device first and foremost for now and they were absolutely NOT going to be bundling in a controller when ~probably most people won't be gaming on it (beyond casual gaming).

I wouldn't find that annoying at all. I'd rather be told "you can't play this without a controller" than try to put up with a terrible control scheme using the remote and have the game potentially compromised because of it.

Lebron

Got this for my mom since she has a real bad vision impairment. Not a big fan of the product myself (I own better streamers), but the Siri integration makes it really easy for her to search for what she wants to watch. Glad they put that in.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, not being able to access the store on other devices sucks. I have an Apple TV, but i'd rather by stuff on iOS/os x and have it just download on the Apple TV.
Even more bizarre is the the App Store existed day one on iTunes, despite not being able to use the apps on PC/Mac.

I don't think the iOS situation is as bad as people are saying (you CAN buy Apple TV apps. Just not exclusive ones), with the exception of there being no indication that a universal app is tvOS compatible.

But yes at minimum you should be able to buy tvOS exclusive apps on iTunes. Slowing it in iOS also would be fine but would actually be different than how the iOS App Store acts now (i.e. You can't buy iPad exclusive apps on the iPhone App Store)

Or just SOME way on tvOS to communicate with the outside world to get/open URLs/links.

So how is this? I use my bone as a media device and I'm thinking of selling it for an Apple TV.
Eventually this will kill all other media streamers. Right now it's only "good enough". if you're worried about $150 or getting your full value for it now, wait until it matures. If $150 isn't a big deal and/or you're good experiencing it as it matures, get it now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eventually this will kill all other media streamers. Right now it's only "good enough". if you're worried about $150 or getting your full value for it now, wait until it matures. If $150 isn't a big deal and/or you're good experiencing it as it matures, get it now.

For apps I'm sure it'll be great, but I don't see it killing other streamers as streamers. The services it relies on need eyeballs and so we always be on many different platforms (and usually the apps are lightweight and easy to port so the cost to implement on a new platform is low). If most of your local catchup services and critical on demand services are available on most boxes, where is the critical reason to buy for Apple TV?

holygeesus

Banned
As soon as VLC launches, it could be a game-changer, as it were. Being able to stream video off a NAS without transcoding is what will increase usefulness a good 100% for a lot of people.

Top Bottom