• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
For apps I'm sure it'll be great, but I don't see it killing other streamers as streamers. The services it relies on need eyeballs and so we always be on many different platforms (and usually the apps are lightweight and easy to port so the cost to implement on a new platform is low). If most of your local catchup services and critical on demand services are available on most boxes, where is the critical reason to buy for Apple TV?
But what will its biggest competition be? Arguably not like Chromecast as you need a connected phone for it to be truly encompassing. So Roku? FireTV? Sure... But now if all of those services offered are the same and pricing is the same, give or take, then why pick one over the other? Yes, apps. Roku has maintained its status because it was the easiest box for channels to get added to. Now that it's just as easy to add to Apple TV AND the hardware is powerful.. There is a chance to give Roku a strong run for its money. Of course if you're only lookin for something minimally functional like Chromecast, the $150 is ridiculous. But for those looking for a standalone box, all available channels plus (if it happens) a braid app ecosystem as wel could put Apple TV at the front of the standalone pack.

Unrelated to this conversation, digging around CoreAudio docs... It "seems" like auto on surround is the best option as it also guarantees multi-channel output from apps does not get compressed again (to Dolby). I also don't even know if Netflix is even outputting Dolby 5.1 at all as nothing shows up indicating Dolby in the Netflix app. Just odd that they give you no ability to pass through bitstream on auto. If anyone has content from Netflix they KNOW is 2.0 (witnessed first hand) please let me know so I can play it and see what it sends to my receiver.

borghe

Ok. So yeah the Netflix app is doing the same thing.. 2.0 it outputs as PCM 2.0, multi-channel content they must just output as 5.1 (or 7.1?) LPCM.

Just weird I guess... To have a big deal made of Dolby 5.1 and 7.1, but in most cases to just output LPCM instead. I wonder if there's an app/source that actually outputs Dolby 5.1?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the remote for blind usage? Eg can you rest your thumb on the trackpad without it doing anything until you click? I've always liked buttons for transport controls generally (or voice is ok)

Dalek

Does anyone know how to turn off Auto-play in Home Sharing movies? My daughter is playing episodes of Gravity Falls from my mac's iTunes library, and now by default it just starts the next episode.

Meh3D

Has anyone compared the mirroring capabilities between iPhone or iPad and the Mac? When I borrowed a friends ATV3 I thought I didn't like it so much in this area. Everything felt slow or sluggish. The UI was alright though for Netflix I preferred the PS3 or WiiU interface.

I've been considering one of these device. I was set on Chromecast but now I'm not sure. Some features aren't available if you're on an Apple device. I don't care to play any games on the Apple TV. Just Netflix, HBO Now, and Vudu.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But what will its biggest competition be? Arguably not like Chromecast as you need a connected phone for it to be truly encompassing. So Roku? FireTV? Sure... But now if all of those services offered are the same and pricing is the same, give or take, then why pick one over the other? Yes, apps. Roku has maintained its status because it was the easiest box for channels to get added to. Now that it's just as easy to add to Apple TV AND the hardware is powerful.. There is a chance to give Roku a strong run for its money. Of course if you're only lookin for something minimally functional like Chromecast, the $150 is ridiculous. But for those looking for a standalone box, all available channels plus (if it happens) a braid app ecosystem as wel could put Apple TV at the front of the standalone pack.

Unrelated to this conversation, digging around CoreAudio docs... It "seems" like auto on surround is the best option as it also guarantees multi-channel output from apps does not get compressed again (to Dolby). I also don't even know if Netflix is even outputting Dolby 5.1 at all as nothing shows up indicating Dolby in the Netflix app. Just odd that they give you no ability to pass through bitstream on auto. If anyone has content from Netflix they KNOW is 2.0 (witnessed first hand) please let me know so I can play it and see what it sends to my receiver.

I'm not sure what the biggest competition will be. If you limit the discussion to streaming apps only (surely the primary purchase driver at the moment), then for most people any box will be fine - buy a new TV it'll have streaming services. Buy a bluray player - streaming services. Console - blah blah.

The key for me is whether apple can get traction with apps. And although games will be fun, I hope we get more than that. Siri in your living room, unhooked from a personal phone, could be a strong reason to buy. But it will have competition from the likes of cortana on Xbox one, and Amazon echo (I don't know if there are any living room focused uses of Google now at the moment?)

Ok. So yeah the Netflix app is doing the same thing.. 2.0 it outputs as PCM 2.0, multi-channel content they must just output as 5.1 (or 7.1?) LPCM.

Just weird I guess... To have a big deal made of Dolby 5.1 and 7.1, but in most cases to just output LPCM instead. I wonder if there's an app/source that actually outputs Dolby 5.1?

So correct me if I'm wrong because I'm an audio noob, but isn't LPCM better than Dolby with the same number of audio channels? Uncompressed vs compressed and all that? Or is this an issue of the ATV outputting in LPCM multichannel but the source is stereo because it's encoded with Dolby for multichannel stuff?

holygeesus

Banned
Has anyone compared the mirroring capabilities between iPhone or iPad and the Mac? When I borrowed a friends ATV3 I thought I didn't like it so much in this area. Everything felt slow or sluggish.

I've only used a Mac, but it is still sluggish e.g. mouse lags a bit. I never had the previous model but can't compare in that regard. Airplaying videos and Apple Music works flawlessly though.

Tobor

My 7 year old nephew just played Rayman Adventures for 3 straight hours. New Apple TV is definitely kid approved.

Make sure you have an MFI controller, of course. I have the Mad Catz CRTLi and it works just fine. I'll probably get the Nimbus as well.

borghe

So correct me if I'm wrong because I'm an audio noob, but isn't LPCM better than Dolby with the same number of audio channels? Uncompressed vs compressed and all that? Or is this an issue of the ATV outputting in LPCM multichannel but the source is stereo because it's encoded with Dolby for multichannel stuff?
It works well.. Yes LPCM 7.1 would be the best. Just the lack of transparency is annoying. A movie in the store says Dolby 5.1 but the Dolby light never goes on. Etc. but auto is what most people will want yes. Especially with no optical out.

How is the remote for blind usage? Eg can you rest your thumb on the trackpad without it doing anything until you click? I've always liked buttons for transport controls generally (or voice is ok)

Not good. The slightest movement on the trackpad will bring up playback controls. I'd love to trade the trackpad for physical buttons. The trackpad is one of the weakest parts of the new device. Just awful for games and simply imprecise for everything else.

borghe

Trackpad hardware is fine. Your (rightful) problem is a UX issue, and I actually agree. Should be much better at discarding accidental touches. The hardware is great during usage. But during playback yeah if you're used to holding the remote it can get annoying.

Ettie

Welp, I guess I'll be waiting on this to see if it turns into something good.

Is there any box that plays well with all the major streaming services, network apps, and plex or kodi?

Is there any box that plays well with all the major streaming services, network apps, and plex or kodi?

Basically a compromise with all of them. Roku probably comes the closest as it offers everything except iTunes and Kodi. Android TV has Kodi, Plex, and most of the major services besides Amazon and iTunes. Apple TV has everything except Google Play, Kodi, and Amazon. Fire TV I believe you can sideload Kodi, but Plex is limited with no surround sound and no iTunes.

borghe

Honestly, a PC and that's it. When it comes down to actual boxes, someone will always be missing, largely because the biggest three content providers outside of the streamers (Apple, Google and Amazon) are all missing somewhere. As long as you're willing to exclude one of those services, then yeah there are a number of options (including this box)

Though it should be mentioned that with just Apple TV and an iPhone or iPad you have everything except for Google Play.

On the subject of apps... Why is Netflix objectively worse now? No suggestions based on what title you are currently browsing. No content info while watching (swipe down, formerly press up twice). It's the only streaming app where pressing Menu at the top doesn't exit you to Home, and pressing the Home button while in Netflix will frequently crash the app. No browsing involved actors/directors while viewing title info. It went from great on ATV3 to imho one of the worst Netflix apps out. Ugh.

holygeesus

Banned
Thank you!

Mind if I which mac you have? specs?

Macbook Pro Retina 2015. The most basic model.

As an aside, I have noticed a glitch with the Music app, in that I can't play explicit songs, and the explicit songs in 'My Library' simply don't show up. How bizarre!

Seriously, why can I not buy apps for my Apple TV in the Mac app store and any other combination really? Is it to stop dumb people from buying apps for devices they don't own? If I have an iTunes account covering all my devices, I should be able to browse and buy for any device I own!

Worse, why can't you browse for non-featured apps on the Apple TV itself? Searching by name on that keyboard is pretty horrible, they really need to add that Categories button that was in interface pictures before launch.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It works well.. Yes LPCM 7.1 would be the best. Just the lack of transparency is annoying. A movie in the store says Dolby 5.1 but the Dolby light never goes on. Etc. but auto is what most people will want yes. Especially with no optical out.

Just change it to Dolby and not auto.

borghe

Just change it to Dolby and not auto.
This is worse. Frankly I don't even know why this is an option.

With auto selected 2.0 content goes as 2.0 and 5.1 content goes as 7.1. With Dolby selected all content goes out (according to my receiver) as 5.1. I don't know why anyone would choose Dolby as an option (again, considering there is no optical out)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trackpad hardware is fine. Your (rightful) problem is a UX issue, and I actually agree. Should be much better at discarding accidental touches. The hardware is great during usage. But during playback yeah if you're used to holding the remote it can get annoying.

I'd suggest while playing something, you should click the trackpad to give it focus and then you can scrub or do whatever. So it wouldn't be active if you just rest your thumb on it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Xbox one with Kinect is pretty damn good.

- Netflix, Amazon prime, plex, all the major catch up services in the uk (and I assume the US).
- Voice control is decent - play/pause/mute/volume control.
- Has an IR blaster built in to control your TV or receiver volume.
- it'll turn your tv/DVR/receiver on/off when it turns on/off if you want it to.
- has an IR receiver so you can control it with a universal remote alongside your other gear
- with the HDMI passthrough you can run your existing DVR through it.
- the smartglass app works nicely as a remote control too.
- Windows 10 update bringing cortana for richer voice support (maybe things like weather etc?). Also apps.
- cross service search via voice

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is worse. Frankly I don't even know why this is an option.

With auto selected 2.0 content goes as 2.0 and 5.1 content goes as 7.1. With Dolby selected all content goes out (according to my receiver) as 5.1. I don't know why anyone would choose Dolby as an option (again, considering there is no optical out)

I'm going to test it again later with Netflix. I have a Onkyo 7.2 receiver and it is using PCM with auto mode. I didn't notice the sound was worse.

borghe

I'd suggest while playing something, you should click the trackpad to give it focus and then you can scrub or do whatever. So it wouldn't be active if you just rest your thumb on it.
Testing it out, it's just a polish thing over an actual problem. It's actually hard to accidentally start scrubbing. It has to be a pretty obvious swipe to start. I just did a "quick" or "accidental" swipe and it only brought up the timeline. Still annoying to have the remote in your hand and see the timeline pop up now and then. I don't know if I'd actually want a hard press though. Hmmm.

I'm going to test it again later with Netflix. I have a Onkyo 7.2 receiver and it is using PCM with auto mode. I didn't notice the sound was worse.
No, my issue isn't that auto is worse, just confusing to how sound encoding options are usually handled. On PS3/4 for example it (IIRC) lets you know if you choose LPCM that PlayStation will decode all formats for you. Maybe it was in the manual or support or such.

Auto seems to work like it does on PlayStation. I just wish they would explain that somewhere. The Dolby surround option on the other hand seems broken (why would it send out 5.1 discrete on 2.0 content??!?)

CaLe

Stupid question maybe (sorry), but is there any point in getting this if I already have an PS4 / X1 ?

Is Siri a must have ? I need to read more reviews...

Stupid question maybe (sorry), but is there any point in getting this if I already have an PS4 / X1 ?

PS4? Yes. Xbox One, no. The XB1 is a much better media device. Siri kinda stinks right now. It's fine for a few actions, but what she/it can't do is just plain stupid.

btrboyev

Xbox one with Kinect is pretty damn good.

- Netflix, Amazon prime, plex, all the major catch up services in the uk (and I assume the US).
- Voice control is decent - play/pause/mute/volume control.
- Has an IR blaster built in to control your TV or receiver volume.
- it'll turn your tv/DVR/receiver on/off when it turns on/off if you want it to.
- has an IR receiver so you can control it with a universal remote alongside your other gear
- with the HDMI passthrough you can run your existing DVR through it.
- the smartglass app works nicely as a remote control too.
- Windows 10 update bringing cortana for richer voice support (maybe things like weather etc?). Also apps.
- cross service search via voice
It also supports miracast for android and Windows devices. Also a play to device

CaLe

PS4? Yes. Xbox One, no. The XB1 is a much better media device. Siri kinda stinks right now. It's fine for a few actions, but what she/it can't do is just plain stupid.

Out of curiosity, what makes the X1 better in this case ? Me and my wife use it mostly to control the TV (rewind, volume control, etc.), I'm interested in knowing how it compares to the Apple TV, for example.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the list a few posts up :) Is there a list of voice commands for X1 anywhere ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm tempted to buy just to have a play but realistically unless you have lots of iTunes content or need AirPlay,then no there isn't anything not already being done by PS4 or Xbox (especially if you have Kinect)

That could change rapidly depending on how the developer base gets behind it and how rapidly Apple updates the software to cover some of the issues being raised - prime for me would be searching across local video and music.

Steve T-S was poking around the iTunes store db and found the tvos charts. Accurate as of 12 hours ago:

Paid Apps

1) $9.99 Beat Sports

2) $2.99 SimpleX - for Plex

3) $5.99 Galaxy on Fire� - Manticore RISING

4) $4.99 Lumino City

5) $2.99 Does not Commute TV

Free Apps

1) $0.00 Rayman Adventures

2) $0.00 Crossy Road - Endless Arcade Hopper

3) $0.00 HBO NOW

4) $0.00 The Nat Geo TV

5) $0.00 FOX NOW

Grossing Apps

1) $9.99 Beat Sports

2) $5.99 Galaxy on Fire� - Manticore RISING

3) $9.99 Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved

4) $4.99 Lumino City

5) $2.99 SimpleX - for Plex

Full top 50 of each:
https://rawgit.com/steventroughtons...9335653b5961c5eee1ffdf0864d27f419/charts.html

I'm tempted to buy just to have a play but realistically unless you have lots of iTunes content or need AirPlay,then no there isn't anything not already being done by PS4 or Xbox (especially if you have Kinect)

That could change rapidly depending on how the developer base gets behind it and how rapidly Apple updates the software to cover some of the issues being raised - prime for me would be searching across local video and music.

My opinion is, if you aren't already invested in the Apple ecosystem, there's little reason to get an Apple TV. Expecting Amazon Prime video to be on there may be reasonable in a utopian world, but in our cold reality of complicated content fiefdoms, Amazon is gunning for Apple and we'll probably never see Amazon-sold content on the Apple TV.

But for people like me who have Apple devices and Macs, the Apple TV is a natural extension of the ecosystem we already like. Being able to AirPlay whatever content we want from other devices is fantastic. Yes, the ATV some major UI and UX issues, but it's still the best solution for those who enjoy the Apple ecosystem, especially as the good apps start appearing, and as Apple hopefully fixes all the problems they never should have shipped it with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My opinion is, if you aren't already invested in the Apple ecosystem, there's little reason to get an Apple TV. Expecting Amazon Prime video to be on there may be reasonable in a utopian world, but in our cold reality of complicated content fiefdoms, Amazon is gunning for Apple and we'll probably never see Amazon-sold content on the Apple TV.

But for people like me who have Apple devices and Macs, the Apple TV is a natural extension of the ecosystem we already like. Being able to AirPlay whatever content we want from other devices is fantastic. Yes, the ATV some major UI and UX issues, but it's still the best solution for those who enjoy the Apple ecosystem, especially as the good apps start appearing, and as Apple hopefully fixes all the problems they never should have shipped it with.

How about as an 'AirPlay chromecast' for those with iPads and iPhones? That would let you use Amazon prime, right?

I don't have any purchased iTunes movies (well maybe some redeemed digital codes), but I don't have any on Amazon either - i refuse to buy digital until they ditch DRM and will just rip my own discs instead.

Quasar

Siri might be once the search api is opened.

Personally I prefer boxes like the appletv/androidtv over consoles for a bunch of reasons. Startup time, power use, app variety, noise level.

Raistlin

Yes, and every time they try to squeeze something out and play hardball, they fall under immense scrutiny for doing so. I don't see why people are advocating that they get a free pass here because it involves Apple and "it's just business".

Also, Amazon doesn't HAVE an ecosystem, they forfeit that when they release their software on a wide range of 3rd-party devices. They have a service, nothing more.
While these comments aren't directed at me, I think many are salient to what we've been discussing.

Does Apple forfeit their ecosystem when they make apps on Android? Apple Music is a thing, and by the nature of Android is on a huge range of 3rd-party devices.

By your logic, it will make perfect sense for Amazon to pull Video support from game consoles, as well, since they have app markets that compete for attention and Sony is even launching a television service. They could see Sony moving in and "leverage their position" again, as you say, and apparently everyone should be fine with that. But they don't and they likely won't. So it's not quite as clear-cut when and where they make those decisions. Their decisions appear almost vendetta-esque considering how non-uniformly they are applied.
No, though in no way have I stated any of this is clear cut ... much the opposite.

Android's ubiquity and how it's dealt with Amazon has no similarities to the console app stores. And as I've argued countless times, the console manufacturers are not demanding a 30% cut of purchases. So to pretend all of these situations are at all similar is not just an oversimplification, it's flat out wrong.

Now obviously if Amazon were to drop its services on consoles and there wasn't a reasonable business rationale for it, then there would obviously be a discussion worth having - up to and including the potential of 'vendetta-esque' accusations if there aren't good business reasons.

And this is without mentioning Chromecast, which is a device with no app market to be squeezed out of. Hell, Amazon even brought Twitch to Chromecast, FFS, so their decision-making process of what is and isn't permitted under their banner is so terribly inconsistent.
Officially embedding cast support is done using the SDK, and is for apps in the Google Play (Android and Chrome) or Apple App Store. https://developers.google.com/cast/

It was added to Twitch since there are actual official apps in those stores for it. That is not the case with Amazon Video, which is obviously a much more complex discussion. If and when such an app exists, I'm sure casting support will be there.

And the devices they squeezed out for "confusing customers" was also inconsistent, as they left Vudu alone, which also doesn't serve Amazon content, among others.

So it feels very clearly that Amazon isn't doing it for consumers as they have said in press releases and is a blatant shot against who it feels are its strongest competitors. Truly should have been an all-or-nothing approach or at least honest with its reasoning.
I haven't and won't pretend Amazon's public rationale for stopping carrying the devices they did was great. However this is simply a bad example even if I were to make that case. The VUDU Spark is not a platform. It's a purpose-built device that specifically does one and only one thing. There is no reasonable argument for confusion with it. And if Amazon were to drop it, it would only hurt their (already questionable) argument.

Keeping it is not inconsistent. Though I agree they should have been honest with their reasoning. Their 'confusing customers' line has merit, but only within a greater whole. As the only explanation it is obviously weak.

Wii U isn't exactly in a plurality of homes, either, and yet...
I've never stated that where Amazon places its apps is a simple userbase metric. How could it be? There seems to be a lot of oversimplification going on here, and that does no one any good. It's a business decision with numerous considerations.

One of the most obvious since we're discussing VOD being fee structure. There's a reason why Amazon and several other video apps have hit consoles early - the console makers are not charging fees (or if they are, not significant fees) for in-app purchases.

That said even the above overlooks some other important considerations. While I don't know the usage numbers for Amazon specifically, it's well known that Netflix saw huge adoption on consoles. For quite some time the PS3 was actually its number one player. What a lot of people may have forgotten was that Wii was actually really huge for Netflix as well (IIRC it was #2 for a while). While that doesn't guarantee Amazon usage, obviously the demographics are favorable - so it's not a big leap to assume Amazon had large adoption there in relative terms. So obviously supporting consoles in general is a logical business 'need' for Amazon.

Now from a development standpoint, the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii. While I've never messed around with the SDK, it's not a great leap to suspect porting the Wii app to the Wii U was relatively trivial.

The biggest dagger to your point though is the fact that the Amazon app was one of the launch Wii TV apps. At that point they had no idea it would tank and have such a small userbase. Much like Plex trying to be a launch app on Apple TV, companies make a bet by considering past sales, expectations of the launch, etc.

These decisions are complicated. They need to consider fees, demographics, development ease, sales expectations, etc. That sort of information is used to determine not only if a platform will be supported, but also when. They need to schedule their development teams.

I think a lot of people are coming at this from a strictly users' perspective - an 'I want the services I like on the devices I like', without any knowledge or concern for the business realities. Be it cost, development time and complexity, ecosystems, higher level business concerns including existing company negotiations between companies, etc. Of course we all want nice things. And I think quite obviously Amazon would like to service its content to as many people as possible, but it's not that simple. They are a business and need to weigh said business interests with how to best serve users.

And no, there isn't an obligation, until you make it a wholly deserved expectation. When you're already present on so many devices, an expectation develops that cannot be shaken. And that expectation becomes a strongly-held marketing message that's re-inforced by Amazon's own ambiguity with its consumers.
I'm sorry but that's simply unrealistic. I could point to practically enumerable services / apps that are on a large number of platforms, but not all.

Even if a providers' intent is to be on the most number of platforms it can, it has to demonstrated a proper 'business need' and factor in everything before signing on the dotted line. Amazon is a publicly traded company. It has to answer to its board and shareholders. If a deal is bad for them, they can't just 'do it for the users'. It's obviously not that simple.

No, they are not.
Can you point me to documentation of this fact?

Regardless, that has never been the crux of the argument. Even if it is the case, I've maintained that there are complex business rationales for where stuff like this goes. I'm not the one oversimplifying it, nor making the argument Amazon has some ridiculous expectation to literally be everywhere.

Of course this is again straying from the main discussion. We are talking about Apple TV in this thread, which is where my specific arguments were targeted. Apple does in fact charge for in-app purchases, which inherently makes Amazon uncompetitive on the platform.

The 2 things are now inexorably linked, as it demonstrates Amazon would rather shut its consumers out of using their service unless its on their extremely undefined terms. Google and Apple define the terms of what consumers should expect much more directly. Amazon consumers are at the whims of Amazon as to where their service will work with these decisions and will change on a dime if the makers of the devices Amazon Video is currently available on threaten their market position in any way, despite presenting themselves as consumer-friendly via wide device compatibility.
They are inexorably linked in your mind maybe, not for most people.

Amazon was never on either of those platforms, and have never been on literally everything even when you discount Apple and Google.

Right now, I can't watch Amazon Video "anywhere" by virtue of the hardware I own. It's not true for me whatsoever. Apparently Apple TV isn't a set-top box now, which they've ambiguously included among the devices it's available on. It presents an impression of prolific usability across devices, when clearly it's not the case. They'll break down each individual console it's available on, despite being on ALL of them, but then suddenly goes ambiguous when being specific hurts that messaging.

Not really. As I said, why be specific with game consoles despite being on all of them and then not when it does them a disservice to their marketing? Seems pretty clear to me what they're angling for, to present availability in the best light possible, which would be to present it as prolifically as possible.

When it comes to device compatibility? Unlikely. That part of their messaging is always exceptionally clear.
Let's say I grant you that they could be more specific in this case. What does that actually have to do with the main argument I'm making. The argument you continue to dance around and it now seems clear, are refusing to actually discuss?

I'm trying to have a civil discussion about why as things stand, Amazon inherently cannot be on Apple TV due to Apple. At least that's the first hurdle and is not a complex one to cite.

That all said, you are overplaying your hand when it comes to this particular point. Instead of me taking the time to find ambiguous listings for other services - which I and others have most certainly seen from plenty of web pages - we should take a look at the listing Amazon actually directs you to if you want detailed information.

If you go to Amazon and click on their video section there is a Watch Anywhere hyperlink. This categorized visual listing clears up the ambiguity and is meant to be the main place to find such information.

From there is a See More link if you want a very exhaustive historical list of devices.

The crux of this particular argument is all based on a single sentence on one page. A summary that I can cite plenty of similar examples of. Their main links very clearly list out the info and are in no way ambiguous. Placing any weight on a single summary line when they have easy to find detailed info is an odd foundation for the point you're trying to make.

LOL ... I actually have to split this post in two because it's too many characters

Quasar

Honestly, a PC and that's it. When it comes down to actual boxes, someone will always be missing, largely because the biggest three content providers outside of the streamers (Apple, Google and Amazon) are all missing somewhere. As long as you're willing to exclude one of those services, then yeah there are a number of options (including this box)

Though it should be mentioned that with just Apple TV and an iPhone or iPad you have everything except for Google Play.

You have google play too. Theres an ios app that I assume supports airplay. And if not your play content can be accessed via the youtube app.

I'd argue that the Fire TV is still the best choice, especially if you can root it, but there is no perfect box out there. Fire TV has most of the major streaming services, major apps, Plex, and Kodi. What it doesn't have in their app store can be side loaded since it's running Android. It's also the only box I know of that will seamlessly integrate streaming services into Kodi. I've had a powerful HTPC, Xbox, cheap HTPC, Raspberry Pi, and Apple TV for running XBMC/Kodi and the Fire TV has been the best general purpose box for that if you want streaming services.

Honestly, a PC and that's it.

I'd argue a PC lacks a good interface though. Sure you'll have access to everything, but no single way to unify it to work with a remote. A lot of those services will be based on using a web browser which is terrible for using on a TV. It's one of the primary reasons I moved away from a dedicated HTPC. Now my HTPC is mostly for PC games and when I want to do something in XBMC that the Fire TV falls short on.

Raistlin

Continuing ...

If that wasn't an expectation, this discussion would never exist in the first place, would it?
You are assuming it's a rational expectation. Quite clearly it's not. It's coming from people that have or want an Apple TV, and clearly want Amazon on it regardless of whether it is possible or at all good for Amazon.

Let's call a spade a spade. If someone is entirely disregarding business realities and motivations, such demands aren't far removed from 'port whining' over on the gaming side. Or for that matter, really any sort of similar debate where people want things without any regard to its viability.

That Roku wants to advertise that Google is there doesn't change Google's own marketing message at all. That's Roku, not Google.
I'm looking around on Google's sites trying to find any main listing of devices for their Google Play TV and Movies service, and to be honest I'm not finding much in general.

However here is their main support area

When you click on the Watch videos on your TV or computer you'll see Roku has a link right underneath Chromecast.

So while they may not be actively advertising it's on Roku, it doesn't appear they are actually enumerating devices anywhere in general. However in their literature on how to use the service they are by no means hiding the fact. They are quite clearly showing its availability and are giving support.

It's one device outside of their prior parameters, which has not been replicated since, and Google never discusses. So yeah, it's no giant leap into expanding Google Play outside of Google's grasp.
Except they do discuss it their main section for how to use the service. Yes it currently hasn't been replicated, but that doesn't change the fact it is an obvious exception. And not a small one given Roku's marketshare.

Google is in a pretty unique position though. They have the #1 operating system in the world with Android (ie. larger userbase than even Windows). Also, their most popular streaming device is the Chromecast, which requires a phone or tablet to utilize. Compared to the competition, they have different expectations and realities in how their content is purchased. Most competing VOD services have content purchases relegated to 10' UI's or via a computer browser, whereas for Google that delineation is much more murky. Unlike others they do have high purchase volume via mobile. Of course that can be argued as a chicken and egg situation given fee structures, but it is what it is.

What is the importance of this? They can much more easily pull off doing 'view-only' on 10' UI's, which is precisely why current YouTube apps can now access your purchased content from Google Play Movies and TV. So for example you can watch your content on Playstation, though direct purchasing is not available. But they are one of the few entities that can so easily pull something like that off due to their OS and web services ubiquity in the world. They are near monopoly status in mobile and web services usage. Obviously that's not a position many others find themselves in. This is of course before considering video is obviously not at all their primary revenue generator. Not that it is for Amazon either, but that sort of thinking is important for services where VOD is a large money marker.

So while yes, Roku may be the only other platform that has a full Google Play Video app outside of Android at this time, they are able to leverage their OS and web positions (and the obvious ubiquity of YouTube) to side step the normal problems associated with a 'view only' offering.

Yet. The fact that it's being excused as OK to not be present because Amazon has a personal beef with Apple and Google opens up that removing it from devices it's currently on if it even slightly perturbs Amazon is "just business" and fully OK.

In fact, it may already be happening, as Amazon Video was removed from compatibility in a bunch of Samsung and LG smart TVs.

Because one move that's intended specifically to stifle select competitors but not others will inevitably lead to the other, especially when it involves the same names again, and thus can be assumed to be done for the same reasons. And considering the reasons they gave for pulling those devices was total bullshit, we can't exactly trust that any reasons given for a lack of Amazon Video support aren't bullshit, either, especially when their largest competitor, Netflix, isn't batting a single damn eyelash to be on literally everything under the sun.
if you want to argue these sorts of things, why don't you make a thread about it? Otherwise this continues to appear to be an attempt to sidestep my main point.

Given how we're not privy to negotiations, and Amazon not being honest in their business reasoning, the issues you brought up might not be the issue we think is at the heart of this situation.
Come on now. We don't know the negotiations, so we're supposed to inherently assume Amazon is at fault? That isn't an argument, that's bias.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of actions from Amazon that are skeevy, but the same can obviously be said about Apple. The obvious issue with your line of reasoning though is that the specific point I've brought up is a very well publicized problem Apple has had with these kind of services. It's well known the reason Netflix was so late to the party on Apple TV was because of the fee structure - and that the reason they finally ended up here is because they got a special deal. That is due to their negotiating power, Apple was the one that 'needed' them. Similarly this problem is also why VOD services have in large part been 'view only' on iOS, which unfortunately is not a tenable move for most on a 10' UI.

You are basing your argument on guesses and assumptions of general Amazon dickery versus very well understood issues Apple has had for these kinds of services. All while also disregarding Apple's similar levels of general dickery as it relates to negotiating hardball. That's not a strong leg to stand on.

I figured. And certainly that makes sense.

By comparison to other Apple devices, it was:

- slow
- visually bland
- not marketed
- not heavily discussed in tech media

Also against it is the market, where it:
- began its existence prior to the major uptick in cord-cutting
- did not evolve beyond its second generation in 2010 in any meaningful way to distinguish itself beyond its 2010 feature set

I can admit that it ATV has not been a device intended to dazzle anyone. This device? Yeah, there's much to be said about how it takes away a lot of the issues above.
There are plenty of problems with the above statements. Some are simply untrue, while others only hold water when considering where they ended up due to Apple's reluctance to add features or release new hardware.

For example, slow and visually bland only really rings true when considering how it aged out. While clearly Apple hasn't gone out of their way to release cutting edge hardware, at launch they weren't considered all that slow versus the competition. It was always more of a features and support problem. It's not like the UI performance was considered terribly slow versus the competition at launch. That only became apparent because everyone else brought out new hardware while Apple sat on their existing device. As for visually bland, that's in the eye of the beholder, but again that can be argued as an issue with aging out. It's not like the competitors' UI were particularly great when you look at what they had at the time of each Apple TV launch. If anything I think many people preferred what Apple was doing. The difference of course is that the competitors continued to improve their devices both in terms of the UI, and the necessary hardware to power it. Those animations and smoothness don't come free.

As far as not being marketed and not heavily discussed in tech media, that's simply untrue. While sure one could argue Apple didn't market it compared to iPhone and the like, that's in relative terms. In absolute terms, the Apple TV has been marketed FAR more than most of the competition. Roku has jack shit of an advertising budget, and Google never really put much behind Google TV nor Android TV. They got some token advertising early on, but that dried up quickly. Chromecast on the other hand has had a decent amount of ad eyes, and to some extent Fire TV.

The idea that the tech media didn't talk about each Apple TV launch though ... wow ... that's laughable. If anything they got way more press than the competitors. And most rational people would argue it got far more than it deserved versus the competitors. To pretend Apple TV didn't get massive levels of halo effect is ridiculous.

The voice search options has been tested against and Siri on Apple TV has left the other devices to seem severely lacking.
Show me the receipts? I've already stated I like the categorization, but it's odd you say the competitors are severely lacking when several posters here have commented on bugs and issues with the voice search on Apple TV.

It does it better, essentially. And Alexa may use natural voice features, but I wonder how flexibly? If the options to search with are still lacking, it still comes up short. We'll have to see if it can stack up.
Based on the Echo, Alexa looks to likely be more flexible. But you may be correct that in terms of search options it may currently be lacking. However for several points you are giving a pass to Apple under the precept of it being a 1st gen offering and will improve with time. I don't see how one can hold that position on one hand, and then with the other hand assume the competitors will stand still. As for Roku, their search is certainly more limiting at this point in terms of natural language and categorization. However in terms of straightforward universal search it works great. It's actually the yardstick others are measured by, partly because they started it, but also because it works very well.

The salient point though is this isn't the end all be all. All the offerings have pluses and minuses. There are plenty of features the others have that Apple does not offer. Far more apps, 4K, expandable storage, support for playback of external content (networked or local), etc. So even if we are to pretend everyone stands still, it's not a simple case of the current Apple TV being inherently above the competition. It's a much more complicated equation.

That depends on how much work it takes to achieve it, and how it's achieved.
Well of course. I'm not familiar with Roku's backend voice analysis to really gauge how easy of a progression it will be, but at least in terms of the API they pioneered universal search. As for Amazon, they are definitely primed (lol) on the voice analysis end. Alexa is industry leading in that regard, and based on Amazon's prowess in databases, their actual search acumen is certainly there.

The market is so small, even now, that luring in existing consumers from other brands isn't even required, because the segment is growing. It's all about capturing new consumers at the moment until the addressable market hits a plateau. And that's where Apple, when it puts its mind to it, always has the advantage.
In a vacuum sure. But that has principally been tied to the popularity of iOS. This is a very specific category where having the services people already use becomes key, and as my main point illustrates, their conventional handling of fees becomes the main question - certainly on the VOD side of things. At this time at least Apple is not in a position to bully all of the big players, and without some of them they are inherently restricted to users that are okay with utilizing Apple as their main provider for certain types of content.

While I suspect they will in fact have success luring new customers, as things stand right now they will have growth limitations. Just like Amazon has business reasons to avoid Apple TV, Apple has business reasons to require certain fee structures and place their own services above others. However not budging on those means certain providers will be absent, and with that, some customers will be as well.

Quasar

Continuing ...

Show me the receipts? I've already stated I like the categorization, but it's odd you say the competitors are severely lacking when several posters here have commented on bugs and issues with the voice search on Apple TV.

Certainly as a owner or a ATV and a Nexus Player I'd say I find Googles more useful in part because Googles recog is just a shit ton better than Siri (frequent siri fails is one reason why I didn't keep my Apple Music subscription). AndroidTV voice search is more universal at this point too. The one weak point (for me) currently is that Netflix is yet to support the universal search. Not sure why.

On the other hand Siri does provide voice based video controls, which sometimes work. Which is beyond what AndroidTV supports.

Dunno what Alexa is like as I'm not living in the US and I'm not really a Amazon customer so have no desire to buy one.

How about as an 'AirPlay chromecast' for those with iPads and iPhones? That would let you use Amazon prime, right?

I don't have any purchased iTunes movies (well maybe some redeemed digital codes), but I don't have any on Amazon either - i refuse to buy digital until they ditch DRM and will just rip my own discs instead.

I believe that you can AirPlay to the ATV from the Amazon Instant Video iOS app, yes.

I hear you on the DRM; I only own one iTunes movie myself. I think most of my interest would be in Apple getting cable networks to offer streaming subscriptions without requiring a traditional cable subscription. That's been the long-running rumor, and it's supposedly delayed until next year. I'm also interested to see what kind of non-video apps people come up with, and hopefully some interesting games.

Raistlin

You may want to read some of the walls of text I've been writing lol

Assuming they aren't screwing up stereo content by outputting multichannel LPCM (which prevents you from utilizing surround up-mixers) like the Playstation did for a while ... I wouldn't sweat it. A lot of people get upset when their little Dolby indicator doesn't light up on their receiver, but honestly if Apple is decoding correctly it's a blessing for many users.

Let me give you an example. I have an older Marantz receiver in my living room. It supports all the high resolution audio codecs over HDMI and has Audyssey. What it can't do because of DSP limitations however is utilize Audyssey while decoding any of the 'high res' audio codecs ... and that includes Dolby Digital Plus.

Like most living rooms mine is pretty crap in terms of acoustics, so utilizing Audyssey for room correction is key. It is new enough to have Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which is also a must IMO if you have access to it. The reason there is something known as 'reference volume' which movies and TV are mixed to is because human hearing is not linear when looking at frequency (pitch) versus amplitude (volume). The reason reference volume is 85 dB is because that happens to be the amplitude where all audible frequencies are closest to linear in our perception. We hear any frequency at that amplitude as being approximately the same loudness.

Obviously most people aren't listening at reference volumes on a regular basis. The problem is as you lower the volume, our perception of bass in particular gets out of whack. It seems quieter and quieter relative to other frequencies. The short answer is Dynamic EQ curves the amplitude of frequencies in real time as you adjust volume. The goal being that the balance of all frequencies versus each other remains the same regardless of what level you're listening at. No more disappearing bass under normal listening conditions.

Now let's look at Roku in my situation. It will bitstream Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI. On a newer receiver that's perfectly fine. What happens in my case though? Netflix and Vudu has moved to Dolby Digital Plus for all of its multichannel audio in order to save bandwidth. When I watch them on my Roku I can't engage Audyssey room correction nor Dynamic EQ. So not much bass plus general shittiness from the lack of correction. So in my case I need to either switch to Stereo and have my receiver upmix the sound or utilize one of my consoles to get true discrete audio.

While I know it's counter intuitive, when you state, 'to have a big deal made of Dolby 5.1 and 7.1..., but in most cases to just output LPCM instead', that actually is the big deal. Most settop boxes at best bitstream audio codecs. The fact this actually internally decodes it is it's primary differentiator in terms of audio. At least for older receivers.

Raistlin

Certainly as a owner or a ATV and a Nexus Player I'd say I find Googles more useful in part because Googles recog is just a shit ton better than Siri (frequent siri fails is one reason why I didn't keep my Apple Music subscription). AndroidTV voice search is more universal at this point too. The one weak point (for me) currently is that Netflix is yet to support the universal search. Not sure why.

On the other hand Siri does provide voice based video controls, which sometimes work. Which is beyond what AndroidTV supports.

Dunno what Alexa is like as I'm not living in the US and I'm not really a Amazon customer so have no desire to buy one.
Thanks for sharing ... I haven't tested an Android TV device as yet. Good to hear from someone that's utilizing both and can directly compare.

Top Bottom