• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Quick question. I typically use my Xbox One for controlling my tv with voice commands, but the one thing it's missing is the ability to change inputs on my tv. Does Apple TV let me say for example, "Change to input 2"? I'd spend $150 dollars just for that.

Terrell

You are assuming it's a rational expectation. Quite clearly it's not. It's coming from people that have or want an Apple TV, and clearly want Amazon on it regardless of whether it is possible or at all good for Amazon.

An expectation doesn't have to be rational, they can exist outside of those boundaries easily.

Let's call a spade a spade. If someone is entirely disregarding business realities and motivations, such demands aren't far removed from 'port whining' over on the gaming side. Or for that matter, really any sort of similar debate where people want things without any regard to its viability.

We don't know what those business realities are. We don't clearly have defined reasoning on what isn't viable. We don't know if Amazon has even entertained a discussion with Apple in regards to offering its service on Apple TV and current behaviour from Amazon indicates they aren't even interested in entertaining the notion.

I'm looking around on Google's sites trying to find any main listing of devices for their Google Play TV and Movies service, and to be honest I'm not finding much in general.

However here is their main support area

When you click on the Watch videos on your TV or computer you'll see Roku has a link right underneath Chromecast.

So while they may not be actively advertising it's on Roku, it doesn't appear they are actually enumerating devices anywhere in general. However in their literature on how to use the service they are by no means hiding the fact. They are quite clearly showing its availability and are giving support.

They don't have to. Roku is literally the first and only exception to the rule that Google Play exists on any device that runs Android. What's to enumerate when it's really that bloody simple and clearly communicated by Google upon its very first introduction?

Come on now. We don't know the negotiations, so we're supposed to inherently assume Amazon is at fault? That isn't an argument, that's bias.

The argument you were making is that people are vilifying Amazon unfairly by comparison to Apple and Google. That was the only point I have ever addressed, that there is a VERY clear difference between the parallel you were drawing between them that makes such an argument reckless and baseless.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of actions from Amazon that are skeevy, but the same can obviously be said about Apple.

Yes. But this isn't one of them. Apple clearly delineates where it offers things to its consumers. When Amazon can't decide if it wants to be an ecosystem or a service and tries to skirt its way into being both? Yeah, people are going to take issue with it, especially when the "ecosystem" Amazon is offering pales in comparison by its design and takes out its inability to build such an ecosystem on competitors that have. There is a reason people are tense about it.

The obvious issue with your line of reasoning though is that the specific point I've brought up is a very well publicized problem Apple has had with these kind of services. It's well known the reason Netflix was so late to the party on Apple TV was because of the fee structure - and that the reason they finally ended up here is because they got a special deal. That is due to their negotiating power, Apple was the one that 'needed' them. Similarly this problem is also why VOD services have in large part been 'view only' on iOS, which unfortunately is not a tenable move for most on a 10' UI.

That tells me that maybe Amazon hasn't been negotiating a similar deal as Netflix. Unless you have documented records of how hard Amazon has even bothered to try and make it work, it's making excuses without facts. Especially in light of the fact that Amazon's actions show they're less than interested in having a negotiation.

There are plenty of problems with the above statements. Some are simply untrue, while others only hold water when considering where they ended up due to Apple's reluctance to add features or release new hardware.

For example, slow and visually bland only really rings true when considering how it aged out. While clearly Apple hasn't gone out of their way to release cutting edge hardware, at launch they weren't considered all that slow versus the competition.

They didn't need to compete with other set-top boxes in this regard. I'm saying they were slow and bland compared to the rest of APPLE'S product offering, as I noted, which made the ATV less appealing to those in the Apple ecosystem and hindered adoption. And people expect an Apple product, from a visual and UX standpoint, to stand out. ATV didn't do that whatsoever. It was a "hobby" project and everyone knew it and thus the Apple buying public didn't take it seriously.

As far as not being marketed and not heavily discussed in tech media, that's simply untrue. While sure one could argue Apple didn't market it compared to iPhone and the like, that's in relative terms. In absolute terms, the Apple TV has been marketed FAR more than most of the competition. Roku has jack shit of an advertising budget, and Google never really put much behind Google TV nor Android TV. They got some token advertising early on, but that dried up quickly. Chromecast on the other hand has had a decent amount of ad eyes, and to some extent Fire TV.

The idea that the tech media didn't talk about each Apple TV launch though ... wow ... that's laughable. If anything they got way more press than the competitors. And most rational people would argue it got far more than it deserved versus the competitors. To pretend Apple TV didn't get massive levels of halo effect is ridiculous.

But all of that talk was usually one article that clearly showed tech media wasn't the least bit excited about it. Go read the articles that are written. The tone is always "so yeah, this is a thing that happened between ZOMG NEW IPHONE!!!" and harped on the "hobby project" aspect, constantly downplaying its value. Nearly every article had the same tone, there was no excitement around the product. Just talking about it isn't enough, it has to be positive discussion.

And in terms of marketing, I think you'll find that Roku positioning itself in retailers with prominence in the STB category the way it has, which is why it is the success that it is? That's more than Apple ever did, where it was "oh yeah, here's a thing for you to sell, do that how you want", which usually meant no displays, just tucked away in a glass case for people to buy when they ask for it. The fact it's sold as much as it has is a miracle in and of itself. The fact that Apple TV has an Apple Store demo section now? That's 100% more than Apple itself ever afforded to promoting the product.

Show me the receipts? I've already stated I like the categorization, but it's odd you say the competitors are severely lacking when several posters here have commented on bugs and issues with the voice search on Apple TV.

Cuz competitors are totally bug-free in their searches, right? What it's capable of appears to be more robust, even in spite of the flaws.

Based on the Echo, Alexa looks to likely be more flexible. But you may be correct that in terms of search options it may currently be lacking. However for several points you are giving a pass to Apple under the precept of it being a 1st gen offering and will improve with time. I don't see how one can hold that position on one hand, and then with the other hand assume the competitors will stand still. As for Roku, their search is certainly more limiting at this point in terms of natural language and categorization. However in terms of straightforward universal search it works great. It's actually the yardstick others are measured by, partly because they started it, but also because it works very well.

I don't expect competitors to stand still. But neither will Apple, so there will continue to be an escalation in how these devices operate and, simply put, Apple's got the personnel and the money to grow things out faster than all of them save for Google, if it takes the device as seriously as it seems to want to.

The salient point though is this isn't the end all be all. All the offerings have pluses and minuses. There are plenty of features the others have that Apple does not offer. Far more apps, 4K, expandable storage, support for playback of external content (networked or local), etc. So even if we are to pretend everyone stands still, it's not a simple case of the current Apple TV being inherently above the competition. It's a much more complicated equation.

Apple is going to close the app gap, that's not even a what-if scenario. It's bound to happen, and in a very short amount of time. Expandable storage isn't on the iPhone, doesn't seem to hurt it there. And external playback of content is basically there through Home Sharing, but I admitted that the interface for that to work is hugely broken right now and needs fixing.

In a vacuum sure. But that has principally been tied to the popularity of iOS.

How so? Last I checked, Macs are responsible for the majority of growth in the PC market, as well. So Apple has a history of being able to address the market for new and existing consumers in that space. But for Apple TV, they only have to address their existing customer base for other products effectively to take the lead from Roku.

In fact, some say it maybe have already, as Roku crossed the 10 million mark in 2014, while Apple crossed the 25 million mark the following year, so unless Roku sold 15 million devices in a year? It seems there's a new king of the market, contrary to belief. Both are losing YOY sales to Amazon and Google, though, with Roku hit the hardest.

So even with a subpar product, Apple sells these devices in decent numbers. One can only assume what will happen with this new device, but everyone seems to be predicting a greater rate of sales than they have experienced prior.

This is a very specific category where having the services people already use becomes key, and as my main point illustrates, their conventional handling of fees becomes the main question - certainly on the VOD side of things. At this time at least Apple is not in a position to bully all of the big players, and without some of them they are inherently restricted to users that are okay with utilizing Apple as their main provider for certain types of content.

And the addressable market of iOS device owners, which are more likely to gravitate to iTunes content, is still heavily untapped. So that's where their primary growth will be, and that's enough customers to put them at a substantial advantage.

While I suspect they will in fact have success luring new customers, as things stand right now they will have growth limitations. Just like Amazon has business reasons to avoid Apple TV, Apple has business reasons to require certain fee structures and place their own services above others. However not budging on those means certain providers will be absent, and with that, some customers will be as well.

Being limited in their growth to the iOS device owners, which can tally up to 40 million in a single quarter? Not as much of a limitation as others would face. The gravitational pull iOS device owners will have to another Apple product will put Apple in a distinct advantage, and in many ways already has.

While these comments aren't directed at me, I think many are salient to what we've been discussing.

Does Apple forfeit their ecosystem when they make apps on Android? Apple Music is a thing, and by the nature of Android is on a huge range of 3rd-party devices.

They clearly see services like Apple Music as being something they can move into other devices, and will treat services differently than the hardware/software ecosystem they've built. Apple knows that subscription services can't be bound to their own hardware and are proceeding accordingly, treating them as separate from the ecosystem. That is how you have it both ways, not trying to make a service into an ecosystem. I can't imagine Netflix would be as popular as it is if it played that sort of game.

No, though in no way have I stated any of this is clear cut ... much the opposite.

Android's ubiquity and how it's dealt with Amazon has no similarities to the console app stores. And as I've argued countless times, the console manufacturers are not demanding a 30% cut of purchases. So to pretend all of these situations are at all similar is not just an oversimplification, it's flat out wrong.

Except that the 30% cut doesn't exist on subscriptions with Google, just microtransactions. They treat them as separate things. So this evaporates.

I haven't and won't pretend Amazon's public rationale for stopping carrying the devices they did was great. However this is simply a bad example even if I were to make that case. The VUDU Spark is not a platform. It's a purpose-built device that specifically does one and only one thing. There is no reasonable argument for confusion with it. And if Amazon were to drop it, it would only hurt there (already questionable) argument.

I had forgotten that a standard STB isn't available from Vudu anymore, my bad.

These decisions are complicated. They need to consider fees, demographics, development ease, sales expectations, etc. That sort of information is used to determine not only if a platform will be supported, but also when. They need to schedule their development teams.

I think a lot of people are coming at this from a strictly users' perspective - an 'I want the services I like on the devices I like', without any knowledge or concern for the business realities. Be it cost, development time and complexity, ecosystems, higher level business concerns including existing company negotiations between companies, etc. Of course we all want nice things. And I think quite obviously Amazon would like to service its content to as many people as possible, but it's not that simple. They are a business and need to weigh said business interests with how to best serve users.

Without knowing how hard Amazon attempted to negotiate better terms, if they even bothered to at all? Especially after Amazon struck down their competitor hardware as they did? It sends a message that Amazon doesn't even want to ATTEMPT to negotiate a more favourable deal, so naturally, consumers are seeing this as Amazon getting in its own way of obtaining more consumers of its service. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, given the nature of the circumstances.

I'm sorry but that's simply unrealistic. I could point to practically enumerable services / apps that are on a large number of platforms, but not all.

Even if a providers' intent is to be on the most number of platforms it can, it has to demonstrated a proper 'business need' and factor in everything before signing on the dotted line. Amazon is a publicly traded company. It has to answer to its board and shareholders. If a deal is bad for them, they can't just 'do it for the users'. It's obviously not that simple.

They haven't exactly demonstrated that any attempt was made to get a better deal.

Can you point me to documentation of this fact?

https://www.macstories.net/stories/...ples-unsatisfactory-in-app-purchase-policies/

At the very least, Google allows external purchases within the app in lieu of payments being processed through Google Play, thereby completely circumventing the revenue cut. Others have said that Google waives this for subscription services like Spotify via contract negotiation.

Also, found something else that was interesting...

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/05/apple-changing-in-app-subscription-cut/

Apple TV apps with subscription services are only a 15% cut across the board now, apparently, and Apple is in the process of redefining their fee structure, so Amazon's excuse may evaporate into nothing, if it hasn't already.

Of course this is again straying from the main discussion. We are talking about Apple TV in this thread, which is where my specific arguments were targeted. Apple does in fact charge for in-app purchases, which inherently makes Amazon uncompetitive on the platform.

Seems to me that Apple's a shit-ton more flexible on this, so perhaps Amazon hasn't even bothered to negotiate better terms.

Let's say I grant you that they could be more specific in this case. What does that actually have to do with the main argument I'm making. The argument you continue to dance around and it now seems clear, are refusing to actually discuss?

Your main argument that started all of this is that somehow Amazon was getting unfairly criticized for its purely business decisions. Assuming that people don't rightfully do the same to Apple. I have long agreed that taking a 30% cut for subscription purchases was absurd, and I'm glad that Apple is looking to change it.

I'm trying to have a civil discussion about why as things stand, Amazon inherently cannot be on Apple TV due to Apple. At least that's the first hurdle and is not a complex one to cite.

It's a deteriorating one, and shows no evidence that Amazon bothered to change it, with their current tactics setting the tone that they aren't even interested in trying.

The crux of this particular argument is all based on a single sentence on one page. A summary that I can cite plenty of similar examples of.

Feel free to cite examples of Google and Apple promoting their services ambiguously as prolific, instead of noting specific examples that deviate from their norm of "only devices that operate our software". I double-dare you to show me one.

Raistlin

Honestly, a PC and that's it.
And even that's problematic. While things have improved, the PC has historically lagged in terms of features and in many cases resolution / audio when it comes to the web version versions of these services.

We saw that in the HD transition and it's happening again worth UHD. Plus there are some services that are streaming box only, no direct web portal. Hulu Plus was historically in this boat.

Windows 10 looks to help solve the app problem though. For example Hulu Plus is a thing now. So while things look promising, PCs certainly have their own features and availability problems. Not to mention noise and power usage considerations.

On the streaming box side of things, one nice band aid are Plex Channels. It allows you to access a number of website services you'd normally need a PC connected to your TV to access. You can skip many of the network 'Now' apps (and not even need to log into your provider), and still watch tons of content. I use them a lot.

giga

Good list of shortcuts that should probably be in the OP: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/01/apple-tv-4-tips-tricks-siri-remote-shortcuts/

My favorites:

- Hover over any letter on the keyboard and hold down the touch surface to bring up a contextual menu, which includes uppercase letters, accents and a backspace key.
- Press the Menu button twice quickly from the Home screen to start the screensaver.
- Press the Home button twice quickly to bring up the App Switcher, which displays all apps open. Swipe up on the Siri Remote's touch surface to force close an app.
- Press the Play/Pause button once to change the keyboard between uppercase and lowercase.
- Apple TV network strength is displayed in Settings under General > About.
- The Siri Remote's battery level is listed in Settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Reading through the Rebels thread, I saw someone recommend an episode of Clone Wars...

"Show me season 5 episode 16 of Star Wars the Clone Wars"

Comes up. iTunes and Netflix. Press play. Starts playing on Netflix. Wow.

I can honestly say I may never (or at least rarely) search inside Netflix and Hulu again. It's just flat out faster to search with Siri. I hope they turn on the API for all services sooner rather than later. It could end up being a major differentiator.

iMax

Anyone else feel that swiping on the trackpad is inverted? Most notably in the iTunes store, when swiping slowly on the big tiles at the top, it "feels" like it should swipe the other way, like it does on iOS, in the direction of your finger.

Quasar

Thanks for sharing ... I haven't tested an Android TV device as yet. Good to hear from someone that's utilizing both and can directly compare.

Thats alright.

Certainly at this point AppleTV4 has more advanced commands, just that AndroidTV has a open universal search api and for me anyway google voice recognition is much more accurate than any siri system. I guess thats purely down to google having more experience at it than Apple.

One interesting thing is the voice video controls. I'd find them more useful if it worked like Alexa. Having to pickup a remote and press a button kind of defeats the purpose for me. I would have preferred a always on option like Alexa.

borghe

This was mentioned before. Always on requires a much more intricate mic setup. I believe Alexa has a seven mic array. There are other problems as well (such as a device whose primary function is to basically generate noise, having to discard noise, etc). Hopefully in a few iterations, but yeah it's not as trivial as I also thought.

Apple does have an open universal search API, but they don't have it turned on for users yet. Hopefully at the beginning of the year along with Siri for music.

Anyone else feel that swiping on the trackpad is inverted? Most notably in the iTunes store, when swiping slowly on the big tiles at the top, it "feels" like it should swipe the other way, like it does on iOS, in the direction of your finger.
I get what you're saying, but again think of it as a trackpad, not a screen. There is a selector over the banner. To change it they'd have to essentially create the top banner as its own proprietary control I think. The setup of tvml is you have a selector that you move with the trackpad.

Reading through the Rebels thread, I saw someone recommend an episode of Clone Wars...

I can honestly say I may never (or at least rarely) search inside Netflix and Hulu again. It's just flat out faster to search with Siri. I hope they turn on the API for all services sooner rather than later. It could end up being a major differentiator.

Yeah that's cool. What's not cool is I press the Siri button and say "Start Netflix" and it has no clue what to do.

borghe

Yeah that's cool. What's not cool is I press the Siri button and say "Start Netflix" and it has no clue what to do.
Launch [app name], not Start.

This is one of the tips given if you press (and right away release) the Siri button.

Edit - just did it. Launch Netflix opens it right up.

Edit 2 - apparently Open works as well, which is good because that's what the command is on iOS.

Edit 3 - although I just did Start Netflix and that worked also. Hmm. Start HBO Now worked as well.

what is the verdict finally on Apple TV aside from the minor pros and cons that I have seen. I am deciding between the roku 4 and new apple tv. I am in the Apple ecosystem but I want to make sure the box I decide is the best one for me.

borghe

If you're in the Apple ecosystem already, go with ATV4. The services missing now will either be there eventually or can be used with AirPlay. The box has huge potential with both streaming and non-streaming apps, but most importantly, having existing iOS devices means you are going to use the hell out of AirPlay. I mean even if you don't get an ATV4, spend $60 on a refurb ATV3. AirPlay is almost mandatory for anyone with 2 ore more AirPlay devices imho.

dream

About AirPlay...I think it might be an iOS 9.1 thing, but when I stream video from Mobile Safari and AirPlay it to Apple TV, the stream pauses when my iPad or iPhone locks. Hitting play on the lock screen doesn't resume it either. Is this a known bug?

About AirPlay...I think it might be an iOS 9.1 thing, but when I stream video from Mobile Safari and AirPlay it to Apple TV, the stream pauses when my iPad or iPhone locks. Hitting play on the lock screen doesn't resume it either. Is this a known bug?

Yes it is

giga

Yeah I did something similar to play john Oliver. Never again will i scratch my eyes out trying to navigate the HBO go app.

what is the verdict finally on Apple TV aside from the minor pros and cons that I have seen. I am deciding between the roku 4 and new apple tv. I am in the Apple ecosystem but I want to make sure the box I decide is the best one for me.

I keep hearing people talk about needing to be "part of the apple ecosystem, which I would've agreed on the ATV3 and before, but now.

1) It's got ~most of the major streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBO, Showtime, Network channels, Sports channels). Noticeably absent are Amazon and Google for obvious reasons.

2) Siri search. It's ~somewhat limited now, but it's also really well implemented. You can specify the show/movie on which service (if you want to). You can also specify

"Show me the friends episode with Brad Pitt" kind of thing. You can specific an actor and it will bring up the filmography. (it would be nice to have icons for the services before you select the search result).

"Go to the 10 minute mark", "fast forward 30 seconds", "go back to the beginning"

"Watch the flash season 1, episode 10"

I know other services have voice search, but it's different enough on ATV to be a differentiator. And it's day 3. In January, I'm quite sure it will be a different beast.

3) App Store. Yes, the Nvidia shield also has apps, but honestly, Android apps are a mess there right now. Apple has shown that when they get behind it, the industry moves there very quickly. It may be that apple is great at marketing, but they also legitimize that market segment and get folks attention.

I honestly can't wait to see the breed of apps that come out over the next several months.

Like:

Workout apps that pair with iPhone/iWatch and show your vitals
Storehouse is looking like the kind of app that also makes sense on the TV.
Kids edutainment
Flipboard, but with a more video/news bent. Kind of like an on-demand replacement for CNN, Entertainment Tonight.

I really believe that while this isn't the cord cutting service / deeply integrated device folks were imagining, Siri and apps are what are going to make this thing a run away success.

Launch [app name], not Start.

This is one of the tips given if you press (and right away release) the Siri button.

Edit - just did it. Launch Netflix opens it right up.

Edit 2 - apparently Open works as well, which is good because that's what the command is on iOS.

Edit 3 - although I just did Start Netflix and that worked also. Hmm. Start HBO Now worked as well.
Apple made a big deal about natural language with Siri so you wouldn't have to memorize specific commands. It should understand his command to launch Netflix.

Quasar

I keep hearing people talk about needing to be "part of the apple ecosystem, which I would've agreed on the ATV3 and before, but now.

1) It's got ~most of the major streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBO, Showtime, Network channels, Sports channels). Noticeably absent are Amazon and Google for obvious reasons.

Well I expect to see a Google Play app (Google Music too) in time. Google is quite happy to support Apple with its services.

Apple made a big deal about natural language with Siri so you wouldn't have to memorize specific commands. It should understand his command to launch Netflix.

Maybe that persons stutters because "Open Netflix", "Launch Netflix" and "Start Netflix" all work JUST fine. "Watch Netflix" does show films made by "Netflix studios", but I don't know if folks would hold that against them or not...

holygeesus

Banned

It's the same on the Mac when the display sleeps. Annoying that you have to waste battery keeping the display on when you are watching on a damn TV anyway.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but here is how you get Provenance working on the ATV4 without jail-breaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_JAwxur-Q

Mario on the Apple TV - mind, blown.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I really believe that while this isn't the cord cutting service / deeply integrated device folks were imagining, Siri and apps are what are going to make this thing a run away success.

I think it is less 'have lots of iTunes movies and an Apple Music subscription' and more 'you have a couple of iOS devices'. At that point (as I am now discovering) AirPlay starts to look a lot more attractive than chromecast, plus all the benefits you listed

Edit: wait - you can just side load apps to it?

holygeesus

Banned
I think it is less 'have lots of iTunes movies and an Apple Music subscription' and more 'you have a couple of iOS devices'. At that point (as I am now discovering) AirPlay starts to look a lot more attractive than chromecast, plus all the benefits you listed

Edit: wait - you can just side load apps to it?

I *think* you need a Mac though (Xcode)

My wife's favourite Yoga app just updated itself with a note saying 'ready for our new Apple TV app'.

Now we're getting an Apple TV guys. Thank you based Yoga Studio.

dock

My Apple TV 4 arrives today. It's my first Apple TV, but we already have a smart TV that covers us for streaming from our home network and Netflix. I'm hoping to use it for Infuse and other video players in the future, but I hear they're not ready yet.

We have a bunch of iPhones and iPads in the house.

Any tips on fun things I can do with the new Apple TV?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My Apple TV 4 arrives today. It's my first Apple TV, but we already have a smart TV that covers us for streaming from our home network and Netflix. I'm hoping to use it for Infuse and other video players in the future, but I hear they're not ready yet.

We have a bunch of iPhones and iPads in the house.

Any tips on fun things I can do with the new Apple TV?

is your smart TV actually any good? So many have slow loading apps and poor UI. You may be better off switching to the apple TV that you bought with no idea what it does for most of your streaming :p

And again depending on your smart TV capabilities, siri search for netflix might be good for you to use.

Airplay is probably the biggest thing though - basically throw anything you're looking at on your iphone/ipad onto the TV. Can make it way easier to find things as browsing on a phone/tablet is almost certainly nicer than with a TV remote.

dock

is your smart TV actually any good? So many have slow loading apps and poor UI. You may be better off switching to the apple TV that you bought with no idea what it does for most of your streaming :p

And again depending on your smart TV capabilities, siri search for netflix might be good for you to use.

Airplay is probably the biggest thing though - basically throw anything you're looking at on your iphone/ipad onto the TV. Can make it way easier to find things as browsing on a phone/tablet is almost certainly nicer than with a TV remote.

Haven't had any speed issues with my Smart TV apps, but my TV is <18 months old.

I often use the iOS apps for Netflix and Youtube to find content and request my TV play it. TV Sideview (Sony iOS app) lets me browse my home network and play stuff on the TV media player.

I really hope we see a lot of Apple TV apps that iOS apps can communicate with. I'd rather browse the interface via my phone/tablet and then send the content to my TV, as common with youtube and netflix. I'd love to see a game play this way too.

TimFL

Just hooked up my Apple TV and found a few things that bother me:

- App Store has no charts to see the most useful apps (I know it's early, probably coming soon)
- The password entry etc. is really annoying with the trackpad
- No Siri for Apple Music (this was the killer feature for me)
- The TV screen flickers sometimes or cuts out completely saying "content format not supported". It's the only device that does this on said port.
- There is no way to give priority to a streaming service in the Siri search afaik? It shows me a lot of iTunes only titles instead of putting Netflix stuff first. I'd love if they added something like that (atleast allow us to say "only show netflix content")

Bought a 2nd box for my dad cause he loves to listen to music and watch movies but has no computer knowledge (so Siri is a welcome change for him, I already set his up with my Apple Music family plan and signed up another Netflix account for him to use). But if they don't fix the issues above I don't know if he'll even bother using it when all he sees is paid content or he has to use the trackpad for password/Search text entry.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haven't had any speed issues with my Smart TV apps, but my TV is <18 months old.

I often use the iOS apps for Netflix and Youtube to find content and request my TV play it. TV Sideview (Sony iOS app) lets me browse my home network and play stuff on the TV media player.

I really hope we see a lot of Apple TV apps that iOS apps can communicate with. I'd rather browse the interface via my phone/tablet and then send the content to my TV, as common with youtube and netflix. I'd love to see a game play this way too.

I like how you can send videos from netflix and youtube straight to the TV, lets you bypass the apps themselves on the TV. sideview isn't great for home network stuff - you could look into getting plex if you have a computer you can run the server on - makes browsing much nicer, and I like the 'on deck' section which shows you the next episodes of stuff you have been recently watching.

But sounds like you don't really need the apple TV, but it'll be interesting to play with and see what apps bring to the table.

dock

This seems so ridiculous!

I'm currently trialing Apple Music, but I'm wondering about whether it'll be worth subscribing to, especially if the household can use it for music.

Is there any way to control Apple Music on the Apple TV with the phone/ipad?

jstripes

Banned
Just hooked up my Apple TV and found a few things that bother me:

- App Store has no charts to see the most useful apps (I know it's early, probably coming soon)
- The password entry etc. is really annoying with the trackpad
- The TV screen flickers sometimes or cuts out completely saying "content format not supported". It's the only device that does this on said port.
- There is no way to give priority to a streaming service in the Siri search afaik? It shows me a lot of iTunes only titles instead of putting Netflix stuff first. I'd love if they added something like that (atleast allow us to say "only show netflix content")

Bought a 2nd box for my dad cause he loves to listen to music and watch movies but has no computer knowledge (so Siri is a welcome change for him, I already set his up with my Apple Music family plan and signed up another Netflix account for him to use). But if they don't fix the issues above I don't know if he'll even bother using it when all he sees is paid content or he has to use the trackpad for password/Search text entry.

Siri for Apple Music is coming in January.

Try a different HDMI cable.

Does anyone else here fear Apple may disallow a UPnP/DLNA app? I know it's early, but I'm legit surprised none of the iOS solutions have moved over.

I know I can play AirPlay streams to solve for this. but that has been shown to be a really crappy experience for me with serious quality issues.

dock

I like how you can send videos from netflix and youtube straight to the TV, lets you bypass the apps themselves on the TV. sideview isn't great for home network stuff - you could look into getting plex if you have a computer you can run the server on - makes browsing much nicer, and I like the 'on deck' section which shows you the next episodes of stuff you have been recently watching.
I have a Synology NAS home server where all the media files live, so Plex is out of the question. I realise Plex users really love it, but I don't need that, and I've never had too many issues with the Media Player. I'm not sure what's wrong with Sideview, but I agree - I'd prefer to be able to use Infuse or VLC, mostly for the codec support.

But sounds like you don't really need the apple TV, but it'll be interesting to play with and see what apps bring to the table.
I was in the market for an Airplay device a few months ago, so I decided to hold out to see whether the Apple TV 4 would surface :) I'm mostly buying it for Airplay.

giga

Does anyone else here fear Apple may disallow a UPnP/DLNA app? I know it's early, but I'm legit surprised none of the iOS solutions have moved over.

I know I can play AirPlay streams to solve for this. but that has been shown to be a really crappy experience for me with serious quality issues.
It'd probably be better to use AirVideo or Plex wouldn't it, since not all containers/codecs would be compatible with the Apple TV?

holygeesus

Banned

I'm waiting to see what VLC manages to do.

dock

Infuse and VLC seem pretty confident that they'll be on Apple TV before too long. I'm not too worried. I just hope they have interfaces that allow the iPad/iPhone to do the browsing.

giga

Outside of Siri/universal search, the standout feature for me is TV volume control and a working HDMI CEC implementation (turn off and on TV). Really convenient.

so the universal search is NOT open to all apps yet right? just a select few?

thats the number one feature to me. when every app can get that, im in

LiK

gawd, I was wondering why this was happening when I was using airplay with Youtube app. wtf Apple. fix yo shit.

SpaceHorror

Anyone use the NBC Sports Live Extra app enough to report on how well it works on Apple TV?

I've been having a lot of issues with it on my Roku and I am considering making the switch since my Roku is a bit old. Most of the other apps on my Roku work fine, though.

I've never had an ATV or Roku or any such box, but I do stream stuff via dlna from my iMac to my PS4 currently, and it's rather wonky. Would this ATV make my life easier? Does AirPlay work from an iMac? Is it just mirroring the screen or audio too? Also, my TV is 720p but my Mac is 1080p, would that be an issue?

Sorry for all the questions.

giga

I've never had an ATV or Roku or any such box, but I do stream stuff via dlna from my iMac to my PS4 currently, and it's rather wonky. Would this ATV make my life easier? Does AirPlay work from an iMac? Is it just mirroring the screen or audio too? Also, my TV is 720p but my Mac is 1080p, would that be an issue?

Sorry for all the questions.
Yes, but forget dlna and use something like plex instead which makes everything much nicer to browse.

TimFL

Siri for Apple Music is coming in January.

Try a different HDMI cable.

I changed to the cable and port of the bluray player (it's never used anyways) and it seems to work properly now. If the issue persists I'll probably buy a new tv for my parents (they use an old phillips full hd from a few years back). My dad always joked about wanting a curved one since he saw them in a retail store.

Bummer about Siri for AM in january, that's pretty far away.

Another issue I encountered is Apple Music stalling once in a while. It's probably related to them having dozens of devices hooked connected to the wifi router (and "only" having 13mbit/s downstream). Nothing I can change though cause the router is too far away and they don't offer 50 or 100mbit/s here (I called their ISP and tried to upgrade but no dice).
Happens on my moms laptop too (although I thought it's just iTunes being iTunes).

- There is no way to give priority to a streaming service in the Siri search afaik? It shows me a lot of iTunes only titles instead of putting Netflix stuff first. I'd love if they added something like that (atleast allow us to say "only show netflix content"

I thought you could say something like "Show me Arrested Development on Netflix" and it would show you only Netflix content.

datamage

One thing that's disappointing, especially so with the keyboard layout-- why can't it use voice dictation in the search field? That's a huge oversight.

The &#63743;tv is definitely a 1.0 product, but still good enough to keep imo. There's definite potential,

Also, I find most of the apps to be plain looking.. just a black background with video selections across the screen. I'll say that the apps on my Nexus player are far more attractive.

jstripes

Banned
I changed to the cable and port of the bluray player (it's never used anyways) and it seems to work properly now. If the issue persists I'll probably buy a new tv for my parents (they use an old phillips full hd from a few years back). My dad always joked about wanting a curved one since he saw them in a retail store.

It was probably the HDMI cable.

A few years ago when I switched from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen Apple TV (my boss bought a 3rd and traded for my 2nd so he could jailbreak it), I had constant problems with it. The screen kept going black. It was really annoying.

It turned out that the cheap cable I was using, which worked fine in 720p, wasn't suitable for 1080p.

TimFL

I thought you could say something like "Show me Arrested Development on Netflix" and it would show you only Netflix content.
I trief "show me netflix movies" and a few other variations and it always told me no can do.
Haven't tried naming something with netflix in it yet, will do later when I give my parents a walkthrough.

dock

What are my options for extracting audio from the Apple TV to go into my audio setup? I'd like to be able to play music without the TV on. Does it support bluetooth out? How difficult is it to extract L+R analogue audio from it?

Top Bottom