• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When I'm using Spotify, it doesn't detect the Apple TV as an AirPlay Device when it's in standby. Shouldn't the ATV still be visible? Seems pointless to have AirPlay controlled from my phone if I have to go and find the ATV remote to wake it up first

Quasar

When I'm using Spotify, it doesn't detect the Apple TV as an AirPlay Device when it's in standby. Shouldn't the ATV still be visible? Seems pointless to have AirPlay controlled from my phone if I have to go and find the ATV remote to wake it up first

For me its detected, just that when it airplays stuff to my ATV theres no impact on the UI I just get the music playing.

holygeesus

Banned
My device has been a lot better off since I set it to never sleep. The usage of these things, power-wise, means there isn't much of a difference in monetary terms anyway. Before, I would get little annoying bugs like jerky playback after waking, and it's worth it for not having to reboot the device every time after it wakes, alone.

Reading a lot of complaints. Y'all not happy with your Apple TV 4 should give the Shield Android TV a look (especially of you are not heavy in apples ecosystem). The Shield is nothing but bliss imo and solves many of the Apple TVs shortcomings.

Plus where Google is going with their live Channels app could be huge.

numble

Reading a lot of complaints. Y'all not happy with your Apple TV 4 should give the Shield Android TV a look (especially of you are not heavy in apples ecosystem). The Shield is nothing but bliss imo and solves many of the Apple TVs shortcomings.

Which shortcomings does it solve?

Quasar

Well it suffers from the problems of androidtv, lack of the right apps (and apps not supporting all of androidtvs features). Otherwise I might have bought one instead. That said I'm not finding a whole lot to complain about.

holygeesus

Banned
Me neither. We use it every day here and it's a fantastic little device already. With Kodi now semi-supported, there isn't much it can't do that the Shield can, bar stream PC games of course, but I have a PC to play PC games on, so that feature doesn't appeal to me.

Which shortcomings does it solve?

Based on comments in this thread...

You can Chromecast to it (from ios/android) and it will wake the device up seamlessly and play.

It has Twitch. Better YouTube and Plex apps.

Google's voice search is way more open to 3rd party developers. Voice dictation is extremely good.

Playstore experience is better (UI).

Google play music with library searching by voice.

Experience is easier for developers. No wonky restrictions. There is really good guidelines but all you need to do is make your existing app compatible with a couple lines of code.

Even before Apple TV 4s launch I could search a show/movie and it would return actors, ratings, playstore results, installed streaming apps, and search my plex server all by one voice search.

Well it suffers from the problems of androidtv, lack of the right apps (and apps not supporting all of androidtvs features). Otherwise I might have bought one instead. That said I'm not finding a whole lot to complain about.

What apps besides Spotify and Amazon? Funny thing is f'ing Amazon supports Sony Android TVs but not Android TV set top boxes...

Me neither. We use it every day here and it's a fantastic little device already. With Kodi now semi-supported, there isn't much it can't do that the Shield can, bar stream PC games of course, but I have a PC to play PC games on, so that feature doesn't appeal to me.

Nah. It does a lot more than you may realize. I won't get into it too much but if you want to screw around (external devices, expandable storage, ease of side loading) than its a whole different ball game.

Regardless, Apple will catch up and these two companies will battle it out like always. I just saw some atv complaints that aren't issues on the Shield. Since Android TV is not well known I mentioned it.

numble

You can Chromecast to it (from ios/android) and it will wake the device up seamlessly and play.

Google's voice search is way more open to 3rd party developers. Voice dictation is extremely good.

Experience is easier for developers. No wonky restrictions. There is really good guidelines but all you need to do is make your existing app compatible with a couple lines of code.

Even before Apple TV 4s launch I could search a show/movie and it would return actors, ratings, playstore results, installed streaming apps, and search my plex server all by one voice search.

Can you quote the complaints? I don't think there are many people complaining about lack of Chromecast support, for instance, or Google Play music. If there were, certainly doesn't seem to be "a lot".

Can you quote the complaints? I don't think there are many people complaining about lack of Chromecast support, for instance, or Google Play music. If there were, certainly doesn't seem to be "a lot".

No because that'd be a pain in the ars.

When I said Chromecast that's in response to the complaint about airplay. example below). I mentioned Google play music in response to the Apple music complaints (even though someone was wondering if Apple TV would get play music too).

The Apple TV can be seen when on standby, just as the immediate response to the person explained.

OK well scratch that one. My bad.

Edit: Airplay wakes up the UI from standby? Also i have a family member that has the Apple TV 4 and he has to turn it on first from standby but maybe it's just a setting.

numble

OK well scratch that one. My bad.

Edit: Airplay wakes up the UI from standby?

What do you mean by wake up the UI? It will wake up and play media if you select it to be AirPlay media. If it is video, it would be full screen. If it is audio, you will get the home screen and the audio playing in the background.

What do you mean by wake up the UI? It will wake up and play media if you select it to be AirPlay media. If it is video, it would be full screen. If it is audio, you will get the home screen and the audio playing in the background.

That's what I mean. You answered the question.

holygeesus

Banned
Nah. It does a lot more than you may realize. I won't get into it too much but if you want to screw around (external devices, expandable storage, ease of side loading) than its a whole different ball game.

I really only want this as a media playback device, so emulation etc doesn't bother me. All my media is networked, and the ATV4 copes with it fine. Side-loading is a doddle (if you have a Mac admittedly!)

I bought a Shield TV this past summer because I was looking for a set top box that I could literally use all of my streaming services on. I sent it back to Amazon because of all of the problems I had with Plex on it. I think I've literally used Plex on like 10 different devices and the Android TV one is the one I by far had the most problems with. It was mostly with 5.1 soundtracks not being output correctly (or sometimes not at all). Issues that I didn't have on any other device running Plex including Apple TV 4.

A lot of the other stuff on the Shield TV was nice though, I just use Plex so much that I couldn't deal with an app that I couldn't count on working properly.

That's good news, although if the dude just got the device, would imagine it'll be awhile.

Generally, i'm happy with the Apple TV 4. Apple have ironed out the weird kinks with software updates and apps are releasing at a steady rate.

Things I'd like to see before the end of the year:

- Amazon Prime Video app: rumored to be coming soon.
- TV Streaming service - sounds like this is dead unfortunately
- folders on the home screen - i have a huge list of games, would like to just stick them in one folder
- a way to browse the store and remotely install apps from ios.
- let devs create games that just use the MFi controller ffs
- an easy way to switch users for services like game canter/apple music.

To side load on Android TV you just uncheck a setting to allow it. Then just install from any location of your choice (es file exploror/Google drive, sd card, USB hard drive).

I bought a Shield TV this past summer because I was looking for a set top box that I could literally use all of my streaming services on. I sent it back to Amazon because of all of the problems I had with Plex on it. I think I've literally used Plex on like 10 different devices and the Android TV one is the one I by far had the most problems with. It was mostly with 5.1 soundtracks not being output correctly (or sometimes not at all). Issues that I didn't have on any other device running Plex including Apple TV 4.

A lot of the other stuff on the Shield TV was nice though, I just use Plex so much that I couldn't deal with an app that I couldn't count on working properly.

Bummer. My experience with plex has been flawless and never had this problem. The one thing about plex that makes them great is they send out software updates like crazy on all platforms.

Bummer. My experience with plex has been flawless and never had this problem. The one thing about plex that makes them great is they send out software updates like crazy on all platforms.

It definitely wasn't something like a codec issue with the Shield TV itself. I could run PleXBMC through Kodi and it played the same content fine. They do update things quickly, but the handful of updates I got for the Android app didn't fix my issues.

Quasar

What apps besides Spotify and Amazon? Funny thing is f'ing Amazon supports Sony Android TVs but not Android TV set top boxes...

I know. That whole Sony thing was especially weird when Amazon banned the Nexus Player because it lacked a Instant Video app.

As for apps...it lacks Crunchyroll and as you say Amazon and Spotify. And for me it lacks a lot of local (Australian) apps. And netflix still hasn't enabled voice search.

And personally I think I like the ATV4 Plex interface more now. But that may just me that I'm using my ATV much more than my AndroidTv device now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I was listening to Spotify on the appl tv via AirPlay, and I wanted to check a couple of photos on my iPhone. When I opened the photos app and preview a photo, it popped up on the TV! Is there any way to avoid that? No that the phot was private but it was very irritating

So I was list ring to Spotify on the appl tv via AirPlay, and I wanted to check a couple of photos on my iPhone. When I opened the photos app and preview a photo, it popped up on the TV! Is there any way to avoid that? No that the phot was private but it was very irritating

Nah, that's how Air Play works unfortunately. Photos, music, video get transferred to the screen

holygeesus

Banned
My girlfriend was complaining about this.

I usually know what I am looking for but as someone who just wants to browse I can understand how frustrating that would be.

It must depend on the region as I still have categories here. They sometimes have more specific titles e.g. 'Social Documentaries' but it's the same Netflix app that the PS3/PS4 have had for ages. Netflix seem to be wanting a universal app for all platforms it seems.

tvOS 9.2 beta, just released by Apple:

What's new in tvOS 9.2:

Bluetooth keyboard support - tvOS 9.2 now supports Bluetooth keyboards, allowing a keyboard to be paired to the Apple TV for text entry. This is a major feature that was missing from previous versions of tvOS and its addition should make it much easier to do things like enter passwords.

Folders - tvOS 9.2 includes support for grouping apps in the Home screen into Folders, much like one can do on an iOS device.

MapKit - tvOS 9.2 supports MapKit, allowing developers to implement maps into their tvOS apps.

Siri - Siri now includes support for US Spanish (in the US only) and French Canadian (in Canada only). UK English, Australian English, and US English are now available in the UK, Australian, and US Storefronts when English is set as the tvOS language.

App Switcher
- There's a new look for the App Switcher interface in tvOS.

Podcasts - The Podcasts app is now available on the fourth-generation Apple TV.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/11/apple-first-tvos-9-2-beta/

CYdfPYpUMAAuxgD.png:large

Quasar

Heh. Am wanting pocketcasts myself. Just unsure it will happen. I know I asked about a androidtv version and essentially was told their limited manpower makes extra versions like that problematic.

bluetooth keyboard support is a welcomed addition.

And folders. Finally can just stick all my games in one folder which take up the most app icons. Maybe another one for media streamers.

Quasar

I'd probably do the same. I subscribe to Apple Music but hardly picture myself using a TV for that

I tried it out, but really wasnt getting enough use out of it. Or rather despite having it I still mostly was playing stuff I owned. So its easier to either stream over the lan or use the free google music service. I think once youtube red starts here in Australia I'll pay for that as I think add free YouTube would be a nice perk.

Hopefully by then google will support atv better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Heh. Am wanting pocketcasts myself. Just unsure it will happen. I know I asked about a androidtv version and essentially was told their limited manpower makes extra versions like that problematic.

I'd rather pocketcast synced my 'up next' queue between iPhone and iPad before I'd want a new version, and I can live with AirPlay for a while longer.

Folders is good though. If podcasts is a non-deletable app then it'll go in a new trash folder :)

jts

...hate me...
I'm on the verge of ordering the Apple TV, thanks to VLC getting released, but I still haven't due to reports of it not playing some audio.

I mean I would already if it was a 100€ box, but it's almost double.

Doesn't it at least convert AC3 to stereo?

Also, how's the Netflix interface and experience, how would you rate it vs PlayStation's Netflix?

Bit more on Retroarch for Apple TV.

I'll look into that soon.

I'm about to release RetroArch 1.3 either today or tomorrow for iOS and the other platforms like Android/PC/consoles. After I release this version, I will begin porting to tvOS. We will see how soon we will have something to release, probably by version 1.4 we have something for tvOS.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2359 Not sure how long it usually takes between version numbers.

Emarv

Also, how's the Netflix interface and experience, how would you rate it vs PlayStation's Netflix?

I may not be well versed in versions of Netflix, but I'm pretty sure it's the same Netflix UI seen on PS4 (and most devices) currently.

Top Bottom