• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Quasar

Well. The Google Play Movies app added airplay support to ATV 3/4. I guess that might be a sign of not seeing a TVos app for a good while.

MrGerbils

Trying to search but I'm on mobile so having a tough time... Anyone having any luck with the Provenance emulator?

Looks promising but dunno if it's worth the investment of a cord and controller.

Guess Who

Banned
Went ahead and returned my Apple TV 4 this week. Didn't like the touchpad on the remote, hate that it's made of glass since god knows my old aluminum remote has taken a beating, really disliked the Netflix experience compared to my ATV3, had a bunch of issues with metadata and chapters not working right Home Sharing from my iTunes library, don't like the new UI in general.

Really disappointed in this thing all around. I thought after three years of development they'd have something better. Siri and the App Store were low-hanging fruit and long overdue, but there's too many regressions in other places (the touchpad is just straight-up worse for navigating the UI than the old remote). Feels like a 1.0 product when it should be a 4.0 product, and there's lots of competition.

Quasar

Went ahead and returned my Apple TV 4 this week. Didn't like the touchpad on the remote, hate that it's made of glass since god knows my old aluminum remote has taken a beating, really disliked the Netflix experience compared to my ATV3, had a bunch of issues with metadata and chapters not working right Home Sharing from my iTunes library, don't like the new UI in general.

With Netflix being a user of other devices with the same interface it didn't bother me much. The interface is probably why I used other devices over my atv3. Its interesting though seeing the slight changes between devices though. The AndroidTV app lets you browse by category for instance, something the atv4 app doesn't. Really hope they add that.

And your comment makes me wonder about the atv3 in general. Is it basically going to be abandoned. Still sold but with little or no updates? Apple Music hasn't come to it. And just ow often has the Netflix app been updated?

Or any third party app?

Really disappointed in this thing all around. I thought after three years of development they'd have something better. Siri and the App Store were low-hanging fruit and long overdue, but there's too many regressions in other places (the touchpad is just straight-up worse for navigating the UI than the old remote)

I find the remote better at some things, worse at others. Which I put down in some cases of just needing to get used to it. Learning about the trackpad edges helped quite a bit.

So now that the remote app works with the ATV4, it seems I can't get it to work as a keyboard? If there's no way to do that that's insane

iMax

iPlayer app now live http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/13/bbc-iplayer-apple-tv-live/

Only used the remote app a couple times, but whenever there was a text entry box on screen, the keyboard popped in the app.

OUTTA NOWHERE!!!

giphy.gif

I kinda wish I can use that app, looks slick. But it's UK only. Kind of lazy to change settings to spoof my location.

I was thinking about the remote and I just wish it wasn't super sensitive when you pick it up. I bought one for my assistant for Christmas and was contemplating adding the regular old remote with the clicky d pad. But I think I'll just have to teach her about touch/tap the edges and using the Remote app.

I'm very much waiting for an Amazon Prime Instant app on this thing, if they can make it fully featured where you can add on the other services (Showtime, Qello, etc. charged onto one Amazon sub) into the one app that would be killer for me. And because of the iOS restriction with Apple taking a cut of each sale, Amazon removing purchasing/renting options actually works better for me. My parents wouldn't accidentally get my card charged. Set up my cousin's Fire TV with my account so he can have stuff to watch but his dad ended up renting Bone Collector. So random.

^Makes me want to subscribe to the WWE network

So generally speaking, how long is the battery life supposed to last in the remote? I've had to charge it fully at least 3 times since the release date. Is this normal? I'm starting to think I might have a malfunctioned remote.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never charged mine - but it isn't used every day. Is there somewhere that tells you the charge level? Or does it warn you when low? How do you even know how long it takes to charge?

when i'm off work (4 days), thing is pretty much on, unless i turn off the tv which i hardly do. But when i am working i use it for only couple of hours. day 1 buyer and have not charged it , still going

hugocésar;189268967 said:
So generally speaking, how long is the battery life supposed to last in the remote? I've had to charge it fully at least 3 times since the release date. Is this normal? I'm starting to think I might have a malfunctioned remote.

I got mine a day or two after launch, haven't needed to charge the remote once yet. That said, i'm not a particularly heavy user by any stretch.

I read somewhere that the remote should only need charging three times a year (although I imagine heavy gaming would drain it much faster).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IPlayer seems worse quality than the Xbox one version?

Anyone else failing to get HD playback in iPlayer?

Yes ;)

Maybe it was a rush job and it'll be updated soon? As it is the 'tv player' app seems better quality for live TV and Xbox/ps4 better for catchup. I guess I'd still use the ATV app if I'm already using the ATV, but it is disappointing

Quasar

Yes ;)

Maybe it was a rush job and it'll be updated soon? As it is the 'tv player' app seems better quality for live TV and Xbox/ps4 better for catchup. I guess I'd still use the ATV app if I'm already using the ATV, but it is disappointing

Its weird. I imagined it used Apples own player and played streams other devices do.

Should last 3 months or so with normal use. Gaming every day for hours probably makes it much shorter.

31GhostsIV is correct.

Phreaker

Are you sure it got fully charged? Mine came with a messed up lightning cable. I only knew it was messed up when I tried to use it to charge my iPhone or iPad and my device kept beeping, like I was plugging it in over and over. You can see the charge level of the remote in the remote menu.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Apple tv app show up in iTunes, so I'm guessing we'll be able to browse the store from other devices soon.

Hmmm I wonder if we'll see the iTunes Store format change in this weeks refresh?

Maybe games across both iOS and TV will appear on the same product pages in the way that games spanning iOS and Watch do currently?

I find it somewhat insane that they haven't yet added Siri functionality to the "keyboard." It's an absurdly obvious fix for how awful typing anything is.

Quasar

I find it somewhat insane that they haven't yet added Siri functionality to the "keyboard." It's an absurdly obvious fix for how awful typing anything is.

Given how terrible I find siri at understanding me I kind of shudder at the thought of using siri to input hard passwords.

Are you sure it got fully charged? Mine came with a messed up lightning cable. I only knew it was messed up when I tried to use it to charge my iPhone or iPad and my device kept beeping, like I was plugging it in over and over. You can see the charge level of the remote in the remote menu.

Thanks everyone. Hmm, I'm going to look into this one and try charging it with another lightning cable. It's pretty difficult to tell (as far as I can see) on what the current battery life of the remote is at any given point.

Enzom21

Hmmm I wonder if we'll see the iTunes Store format change in this weeks refresh?

Maybe games across both iOS and TV will appear on the same product pages in the way that games spanning iOS and Watch do currently?
Hopefully there will be something to make viewing AppleTV apps easier.

can't seem to find apple tv apps on iTunes

They're not in the iTunes store, installed Apple TV apps are showing up in "my apps" in iTunes.

MrMephistoX

So interesting finding here; Xbox One Kinect seems to totally freak out the Apple TV remote when both of them are on at the same time. Not sure it's the tv commands being enabled on both devices or just the IR stuff on the Kinect but totally powering off the Xbox One was the only way I could fix it.

So what's the point of the tumblr app? I've noticed that there are a lot of "hey, let's turn your tv into a moving art piece" type of apps. It's not a terrible idea, but the tumblr one especially makes me scratch my itchy hair.

Phreaker

hugocésar;189588599 said:
Thanks everyone. Hmm, I'm going to look into this one and try charging it with another lightning cable. It's pretty difficult to tell (as far as I can see) on what the current battery life of the remote is at any given point.

It doesn't show percentage AFAIK, but you should see a full battery when it's full.

• Launch the Settings app.
  • Use the Touchpad to swipe down to Remote and Devices and tap on it.
  • Then tap on Bluetooth.
  • Here you should see the battery indicator for your Siri Remote on this screen.
siri-remote-battery-level.jpg

from http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/11/check-apple-tv-siri-remote-battery-level.html

Enzom21

Doesn't look like there is anything Apple TV app related in the iTunes App Store refresh :/
Considering how long it took for them to get Remote app support, I doubt anything will come of this anytime soon.
hugocésar;189804788 said:
So what's the point of the tumblr app? I've noticed that there are a lot of "hey, let's turn your tv into a moving art piece" type of apps. It's not a terrible idea, but the tumblr one especially makes me scratch my itchy hair.

What does the app do?

On mobile so I can't link but RadioShack has the 32GB model on sale for $99 online and in store. I think it lasts until the 24th but it might sell out before then.

Miyahon

Been looking for a Twitch App and found one that's free called Stream Center. Allows you to watch streams and search. There doesn't seem to be a way to log into your account and access who you follow. There's other apps you can buy but this one works for me until Twitch decides to release an official app.

Phreaker

Been looking for a Twitch App and found one that's free called Stream Center. Allows you to watch streams and search. There doesn't seem to be a way to log into your account and access who you follow. There's other apps you can buy but this one works for me until Twitch decides to release an official app.

I've been using untwitched and really like it for the post part, not bad for .99. I can log in and see the streams I follow.

dock

Infuse is pretty great, but I think it keeps crashing my home server or something. It'll get stuck on the spinning logo on all categories. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, is MrMC any better than Infuse?

Otherwise I have no problems with Infuse and love the interface.

asdad123

On mobile so I can't link but RadioShack has the 32GB model on sale for $99 online and in store. I think it lasts until the 24th but it might sell out before then.

Hmm is this thing worth the $100 if you already have a kindle fire stick?

There's 4 in stock at the store around the corner from me.

May wait for the uhd model since I have a 4K tv..

Quasar

Infuse is pretty great, but I think it keeps crashing my home server or something. It'll get stuck on the spinning logo on all categories. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, is MrMC any better than Infuse?

Otherwise I have no problems with Infuse and love the interface.

I think it is. Its a proper media centre app. And its metadata support is better.

Hmm is this thing worth the $100 if you already have a kindle fire stick?

There's 4 in stock at the store around the corner from me.

May wait for the uhd model since I have a 4K tv..

I liked the slickness at first but now that the newness has worn off I don't think it's worth $100 if you already have anything else.

Goldenhen

I don't think Twitch ever gonna release app for Apple TV because Amazon doesn't sell Apple TV and see it as they're direct competition to their own Amazon Fire TV.

I would be happy if I'm wrong but Amazon own Twitch.

Majine

Banned
I don't think Twitch ever gonna release app for Apple TV because Amazon doesn't sell Apple TV and see it as they're direct competition to their own Amazon Fire TV.

I would be happy if I'm wrong but Amazon own Twitch.

That's not how things work, especially for something like Twitch. They care about there being as many access points as possible for people to use their services. That's why Google services exists outside Android, Office outside Windows, and why Twitch has an official app on Roku, another competitor.

The fact that it's not here yet is probably just prioritizing.

Top Bottom