• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Quasar

I don't think Twitch ever gonna release app for Apple TV because Amazon doesn't sell Apple TV and see it as they're direct competition to their own Amazon Fire TV.

I would be happy if I'm wrong but Amazon own Twitch.

Given they made a AndroidTV app I think they will. Twitch seems to have a bit more autonomy than most bits of the Amazon empire.

Personally I'd like to see a Youtube Gaming app. I really hope Googles support isn't going to just be adding airplay to their iOS apps.

MrMephistoX

Pacman 128 is out! Great news considering the dearth of games and the fact that Crossy Road is the best playing remote app by far...I have a nimbus under the tree but still...

Quasar

How is the new apple tv compare to the shield. i keep looking at the radioshack deal but my friend recommends that nvidia box. any opinions?

Well as someone who bought a ATV but seriously considered a Shield (and still might buy one) it mostly comes down to app support and ecosystem. Even now the ATV feels like its got more dedicated app support, but if you want things like inhouse streaming of PC games or support for lossless movie audio codecs for playback of LAN content, the ATV isn't for you.

How is the new apple tv compare to the shield. i keep looking at the radioshack deal but my friend recommends that nvidia box. any opinions?
Personally I'd get a Shield TV if you have any interest in gaming with said device it'll provide a much better experience than the AppleTV can offer. The catalog of games is much larger and it has more quality titles available which isn't going to happen on the AppleTV until they drop the remote requirement. There's also the streaming services available for the system and the fact that it comes with a gamepad.

The only area the AppleTV really shines in is the fact that it's the only device that integrates and works well with Apple's digital services.

Well as someone who bought a ATV but seriously considered a Shield (and still might buy one) it mostly comes down to app support and ecosystem. Even now the ATV feels like its got more dedicated app support, but if you want things like inhouse streaming of PC games or support for lossless movie audio codecs for playback of LAN content, the ATV isn't for you.

Personally I'd get a Shield TV if you have any interest in gaming with said device it'll provide a much better experience than the AppleTV can offer. The catalog of games is much larger and it has more quality titles available which isn't going to happen on the AppleTV until they drop the remote requirement. There's also the streaming services available for the system and the fact that it comes with a gamepad.

The only area the AppleTV really shines in is the fact that it's the only device that integrates and works well with Apple's digital services.

thanks guys, re: the streaming thing, the original shield required a laptop to have an nvidia compatible card to stream from pc. i have an alienware with AMD cards, is the new shield able to stream my laptop or do i need nvidia cards exclusively?

thanks!

chadskin

Enzom21

Does it support NAS/DLNA playback on the ATV?

Yes. It is pretty much like Infuse. it pulls meta data automatically and you have the ability to download subs. It doesn't flatten TV shows like Infuse though.

Edit:
Extremely early version of Kodi is available:
[URL="http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238524&pid=2102988#pid2102988"]Memphiz[/URL] said:
Update from 2015-12-22

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Well thx to the great work of MrMC in porting the stripped down Kodi fork to TVOS and because it is christmas (and i took some days off from work) here is the first inofficial pre-pre-pre-alpha release of Kodi for TVOS (AppleTV4). There is still a lot of work to be done and a lot of stuff to discuss before this can hit mainline and we can call it a new supported platform (please keep this in mind - no ETA):

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/darwin/tvos/kodi-20151222-c4661d7-xmas-tvos.deb

Sourcecode: https://github.com/Memphiz/xbmc/commits/yab

Deployment:
1. Since there is no jailbreak for the AppleTV4 yet there is only one way to deploy/install Kodi to the device.
2. Fortunately DanTheMan already crafted a handy tool for resigning the deb file. Find the tool and install instructions here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=245978
3. If the AppleTV4 runs TVOS 9.0 - you can install via XCode 7.1 and newer
4. If the AppleTV4 runs TVOS 9.1 - you need XCode 7.2 for being able to install

Known issues:

1. All python addons that use PIL will not work until the iOS-AppSigner is updated (Maintainer of iOS-AppSigner is informed about what needs to be done).
2. No way to add or change any xml files (like adding addon zips or advancedsettings.xml files)
3. NFS Support is not working atm
4. A dozens more i can't remember right now.
[size=large]I DON'T WANT TO DO SUPPORT FOR THIS BUILD - ITS JUST A SNEAK PREVIEW IF EVEN! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ASKING ANY SUPPORT RELATED QUESTIONS

I will remove all questions about Genesis, 1Channel and how all those illegal bastard addons are called. If you feel you need to post about this here - please go away instead...[/size]

Now enjoy the free time with your family and not with Kodi only if possible :)

Original Post:

In the hopes that anybody who has questions about the newly announced AppleTV will read this instead of posting a new thread i try to do some FAQ here.

1. Will Kodi run on the AppleTV?
- not until it is ported. The normal iOS version of Kodi will not run on it.

2. Will It need to be jailbroken?
- For "easy" deployment there will be the need for a jailbreak again.

3. will the porting work be considered worth?
- Looks like someone is willing to do that work.

4. Will Kodi be in the AppStore for the new AppleTV
- No it won't for the same reasons that the normal iOS version is not in the AppStore

5. Is there any timeline or can you maybe do it faster and also please deliver a jailbreak the second this device can be bought.
- No no no no no no - now shut up and do something else for a couple of months.

jts

...hate me...
Playing files off Apple TV’s storage is what will make me pull the trigger on one. I can’t be bothered and feel frankly annoyed of having a second device running just for file storage.

Quasar

Playing files off Apple TV’s storage is what will make me pull the trigger on one. I can’t be bothered and feel frankly annoyed of having a second device running just for file storage.

I predict that will never happen inside the app store. You're probably better off finding something that plays files from cloud storage.

Just realized the apps get updated automatically and there's a blue dot next to the name.

To see the update notes, go in the App Store and under purchases there's a "Recently Updated" tab and you can view the release notes.

Two recent problems for me:

Apps just say they're loading forever and never leave their grayed out state.

YouTube playlists don't work, they continue to repeat videos.

And Transistor still crashes when I load the game. Starting to wonder why I bought this thing.

Edit: wow Oceanhorn crashes on launch too. Great.

Edit2 now everything crashes on launch. Time to reset I guess.

adroit

Apps just say they're loading forever and never leave their grayed out state.

YouTube playlists don't work, they continue to repeat videos.

And Transistor still crashes when I load the game. Starting to wonder why I bought this thing.

Edit: wow Oceanhorn crashes on launch too. Great.
Ouch. Have you tried rebooting it? Sounds like poor memory management (at the "OS" level).

Don't actually own one of these things yet but we used to have to reboot our 1st-gen black ATV ****all**** the time. These days it just reboots itself (how convenient).

Ouch. Have you tried rebooting it? Sounds like poor memory management (at the "OS" level).

Don't actually own one of these things yet but we used to have to reboot our 1st-gen black ATV ****all**** the time. These days it just reboots itself (how convenient).

I reboot the system but it didn't do anything, so I reset the whole device. Now things seem to be working okay.

What a pain though.

Apple TV universal search integration expands to PBS and PBS Kids, suggests API now open

The change was spotted on Saturday by AppleInsider reader Erik, who discovered a Siri query for "Curious George" surfaced the PBS Kids app as a viewing option alongside the usual iTunes and Netflix choices. A separate search for "Antiques Roadshow" returned a results page showing streaming availability through the PBS app, a separate title from PBS Kids.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...arch-integration-expanded-to-pbs-and-pbs-kids

Plex plz

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I actually wonder if it will be possible for it to work on local/LAN based stuff like that versus cloud services.After all Apple doesn't have it working with local iTunes libraries.

Plex is a bit of a hybrid though. Although you're playing content from your local network, plex is hosting a database of all that content, so it should be possible for Siri to parse that through plex.

I take it Twitch (being Amazon) is something we can likely put alongside Spotify on the "won't happen" list?

Took back my old Chromecast recently to fill in some of those blanks. Kind of frustrating.

I take it Twitch (being Amazon) is something we can likely put alongside Spotify on the "won't happen" list?

Took back my old Chromecast recently to fill in some of those blanks. Kind of frustrating.

With the rumor that Amazon Video is coming to Apple TV at some point, it's not out of the question that Twitch could come eventually. Amazon takes a hard initial line on exclusivity on their apps but eventually gives in.

I would guess Twitch comes very soon and Amazon Video as well. Twitch is all about more ways to access it and Amazon would rather you use Amazon Prime on an Apple TV than not using it at all... I keep on getting emails from them to try it out. Amazon also has Amazon Prime Music.

If Pandora came I would think Spotify would come too. Question for Pandora users though, could you play audio in the background while using another app? I think from when I tried Plex playing music and it just cuts off.

Just waiting for Vudu. Their iOS app is pretty slick now, just a few layout changes and it should look really good on the AppleTV

Quasar

Well given Twitch is on androidtv I think it will come. I guess twitch has some independence.

dock

Why won't Spotify happen on the Apple TV? I've just switched back from Apple Music to Spotify so I was hoping we'd see this on the Apple TV in future.

nullref

Plex is a bit of a hybrid though. Although you're playing content from your local network, plex is hosting a database of all that content, so it should be possible for Siri to parse that through plex.

There's still a pretty big difference between indexing and searching a single catalog shared by all users, and doing the same for user-specific data. There are implications for scaling, privacy, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's still a pretty big difference between indexing and searching a single catalog shared by all users, and doing the same for user-specific data. There are implications for scaling, privacy, etc.

Plex uses a few common scrapers for the metadata. So they could have a single database hosted by them for the voice search - eg recognising you saying 'watch the flash' and matching it with metadata on their end, then they could pass that information back down to your local app which carries out a search for that metadata.

Dalek

I feel stupid for asking this-but none of my voice commands for Siri ever seem to work. For example-if I want to just watch The X-Files on Netflix-what do I say? It never seems to work? I think I need some specific phrase to say, but I can't determine it.

Zaph

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't see Apple granting Siri API access to apps that aren't serving a hosted library of their own content.

I feel stupid for asking this-but none of my voice commands for Siri ever seem to work. For example-if I want to just watch The X-Files on Netflix-what do I say? It never seems to work? I think I need some specific phrase to say, but I can't determine it.

Netflix, like most apps, don't have access to Siri yet. But when it does, saying "Watch X Files on Netflix", "play X Files on Netflix" etc should work.

Quasar

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't see Apple granting Siri API access to apps that aren't serving a hosted library of their own content.

Which would make me sad. That would just be a point in androidTVs favour which has plex voice search already.

Dalek

"Show me Xfiles on Netflix"

I just tried that command and it doesn't work. Just in case "X-files" is tripping up Siri I tried "Show me Lost on Netflix" and that DID pull up some matches. It must be search specific.
"Show me iZombie on Netflix worked as well."

Now if I'm in the middle of a season on Netflix, can I ask Siri to resume where we left off?

nullref

Plex uses a few common scrapers for the metadata. So they could have a single database hosted by them for the voice search - eg recognising you saying 'watch the flash' and matching it with metadata on their end, then they could pass that information back down to your local app which carries out a search for that metadata.

Could work, I suppose. Depends on the nature of Apple's eventual API.

calder

Well after a few months I feel safe saying it - I hate this remote. It's simply more annoying than useful, for a number of reasons. And swipe to scrub for rewind and fast word is much less useful than I would have expected, I find I want to rwd or fwd just a half minute or so much, much more often than I want to find a particular spot in a video, and this remote sucks for that and it doesn't help that pressing the edge to fwd doesn't work in Plex, presumably because it's transcoding.

Even the little things like not being able to tell at a glance/while picking it up which is the front leading to misclicks because I'll be touching the touch pad without realizing. If this thing had a few more buttons it would help a lot, because right now the bad outweighs the good (the internal battery, BT, mic).

Dalek

Well after a few months I feel safe saying it - I hate this remote. It's simply more annoying than useful, for a number of reasons. And swipe to scrub for rewind and fast word is much less useful than I would have expected, I find I want to rwd or fwd just a half minute or so much, much more often than I want to find a particular spot in a video, and this remote sucks for that and it doesn't help that pressing the edge to fwd doesn't work in Plex, presumably because it's transcoding.

Even the little things like not being able to tell at a glance/while picking it up which is the front leading to misclicks because I'll be touching the touch pad without realizing. If this thing had a few more buttons it would help a lot, because right now the bad outweighs the good (the internal battery, BT, mic).

Man I agree with you entirely. I'm always "missing" my text selections, etc. It sounds so good on paper, but using it is just frustrating.

numble

If you click on the left/right sides, it rewinds/fast-forwards in 10 second intervals.

calder

If you click on the left/right sides, it rewinds/fast-forwards in 10 second intervals.
Hah I put in an extra line about exactly that so ppl wouldn't bother telling me. It still sucks, especially because it doesn't work at all in Plex. And even in apps it does work in, it's not nearly as useful as buttons would be.

Just to spite me, I picked up the remote to pause a show I'm watching and it scrubbed 10 minutes because I had set it down backwards. Thank god you can cancel that at least. This piece of shit makes the borderline broken PS4 media remote look great.

Quasar

Hah I put in an extra line about exactly that so ppl wouldn't bother telling me. It still sucks, especially because it doesn't work at all in Plex. And even in apps it does work in, it's not nearly as useful as buttons would be.

Just to spite me, I picked up the remote to pause a show I'm watching and it scrubbed 10 minutes because I had set it down backwards. Thank god you can cancel that at least. This piece of shit makes the borderline broken PS4 media remote look great.

I will say I find the Plex client pretty buggy when it comes to understanding signals from the remote. For instance I frequently find plex not really registering fast forwards. Whereas other apps seem fine.

As for the remote in general I've come to be fine with it mostly, aside from orientation issues in the dark. Maybe having it backlit might solve that problem.

calder

As for the remote in general I've come to be fine with it mostly, aside from orientation issues in the dark. Maybe having it backlit might solve that problem.

I've thought the same, I think backlit buttons would be great... but from a design perspective I'm sure it's a non starter for Apple as they tend to be kinda ugly. Especially the larger ones that let you see a label on the button.

I've even wondered if splashing some white paint on the bottom half would help, but I assume anything like that would rub off.

Emarv

Haha. I just got mine and I already had this problem. I'm okay with it and it's fun to use for a while. But I'll definitely switch it out for my Harmony once the Siri novelty wears off.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
We're bringing our Steven Universe RPG "Attack the Light" to Apple TV very very soon!

CYEJy4MWMAA6pC3.png

Will feature new controls for the remote, MFI controller support, a new hard mode ("Diamond Mode") and it's universal!

Hope some of our GAF friends will enjoy!

I've gotten used to the remote and have a loop for the sole purpose of knowing which way is up. Plus it's handy when I lose it somewhere and I can use it to pull up the remote.

^thay looks like a fun game!

Jofamo

We're bringing our Steven Universe RPG "Attack the Light" to Apple TV very very soon!

CYEJy4MWMAA6pC3.png

Will feature new controls for the remote, MFI controller support, a new hard mode ("Diamond Mode") and it's universal!

Hope some of our GAF friends will enjoy!

Amazing! Purchase justified!

I wish they would better manage purchased items for navigation. I'm going through this last season of Doctor Who right now and every time I want to watch an episode I have to go through all my previously purchased seasons/episodes in order to get to what I want to watch.

In addition, not all of my purchased music is showing up. Some not at all and sometimes I just get a couple songs out of an album. Bummer.

Top Bottom