• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

LCfiner

Ah ok you have to tap to open the notification then scroll down. And only in mail? I use inbox to get push notifications with gmail. Are there any third party mail apps that support push gmail and replying on Apple Watch?

spark is what i use. has reply functionality (notification and app)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yo guys, time travel on your Apple Watch right now to 2am. It looks super cool
Neat!

Now that we're getting some rain in CA I installed Dark Sky on my watch. Wonder how it will go.

So far Soundcloud and Pcalc are the only two third party apps that really don't lag out of exhibit glitching. It took soundcloud a long time to get to where it is.

Eventually put my money down on a black 42mm. My wife had hers now for 5 months and she loves it. I am impress with the weight of the watch. Super light and I sometimes think its not on my wrist.

I dont want to take the watch off at night so I am thinking of putting it to power save mode as night and then charge it for an hour in the morning before work. This looks like it going to work for me. One questions is when you put it in power save mode they say you have to press and hold the button to get it out of that state. For some reason when I do it it restarts the watch. Is this right?

Cheers

Found it... you need to restart to get out of power save mode.

LCfiner

Eventually put my money down on a black 42mm. My wife had hers now for 5 months and she loves it. I am impress with the weight of the watch. Super light and I sometimes think its not on my wrist.

I dont want to take the watch off at night so I am thinking of putting it to power save mode as night and then charge it for an hour in the morning before work. This looks like it going to work for me. One questions is when you put it in power save mode they say you have to press and hold the button to get it out of that state. For some reason when I do it it restarts the watch. Is this right?

Cheers

Found it... you need to restart to get out of power save mode.

just a heads up. The as 4 nights, I’ve been wearing the watch overnight with the sleep++ app to track movement. with the watch in airplane mode and this app active, it uses less than 10% battery over 7 to 9 hours of sleep.

so you don’t need to go into full power save mode. airplane mode at night plus a quick charge in the morning while you shower/dress/etc should be fine.

just a heads up. The as 4 nights, I’ve been wearing the watch overnight with the sleep++ app to track movement. with the watch in airplane mode and this app active, it uses less than 10% battery over 7 to 9 hours of sleep.

so you don’t need to go into full power save mode. airplane mode at night plus a quick charge in the morning while you shower/dress/etc should be fine.

That is perfect feedback,. Thanks. I am going to try it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought a Hoco black stainless steel strap to go with my steel grey sport 42mm. Like it a lot although I'd prefer if it had lugs like the apple stainless band (they are more like the lugs on the leather bands). Also it would have been nice to have more fine tuning on the buckle as removing links makes it a bit too loose or a bit too tight.

Still way easier to put on than that sport strap and feels nice on the wrist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I sometimes get the watch locking on my wrist. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? It's quite tight on my wrist but I guess it is thinking it is removed for a moment? You'd thnk there would be a grace period before it thinks that though.

SuperPac

Tweetbot updated for the Watch - you can now see your "Activity," reply to @replies and compose new tweets. THE FUTURE.

cakefoo

Had an odd experience with texting someone today.

Me: "Text (name, message)."
Siri: "Ok, to whom shall I send it?"

2 hours later, it works again.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That happens quite often for me. Also just one day it randomly decided my girl friends name was Lynette instead of linnet. It was only for a few hours and it's the only time it's ever happened. It's like they changed a tolerance on the server briefly or something.

Phreaker

Thanks! I tried this last night and it worked great. To be honest I wasn't sure how fast the watch charged as I just did it overnight. I slept with it on (in airplane mode) and put it on the charger when I got out of bed and grabbed it before I left for work at it was back at 100%. I see Sleep++ reports to the Health App, which is great, but it doesn't seem to report all the data it gets. It reported "In Bed" and "Asleep" as the same thing even though I can see the difference in their app (restless for 20m / 4%).

First time I've seen what my heart rate was in the middle of the night while dead asleep. :)

Phreaker

I tried the sleep++ app but I cannot get it to auth on my watch. Looks like a few guys are haivng the same problems.

I had the same issue. I don't even know how I fixed it. I rebooted my phone and watch. It still wasn't working. I think I had to go into (on my phone) Settings / Sleep++ and turn on Motion & Fitness. (I already had it tuned on under Settings / Privacy / Motion & Fitness.)

I had the same issue. I don't even know how I fixed it. I rebooted my phone and watch. It still wasn't working. I think I had to go into (on my phone) Settings / Sleep++ and turn on Motion & Fitness. (I already had it tuned on under Settings / Privacy / Motion & Fitness.)

Cheers will try that... I did check that its enabled in both locations and toggled it on and off. Did not do the restart yet

cjp

Had my watch since late July and yesterday was the first day I've missed my move, exercise, and stand goals.

Went for a run, slipped in some mud and leaves and ended up taking a tumble. Bust open my knee and hand. Quite a bit of skin was just dangling off my palm. Covered head to toe in mud and blood it looked like I just walked out of a car accident.

Gutted that I broke my chain. There goes my perfect November award. I might as well rest until Monday now seeing as my streak is broke. Don't think it'd be a smart idea to head out anyway.

😔

/rant

Phreaker

Wow cjp, that sounds horrible (not the missing the goal part). I often miss my exercise goal. :( I just don't exercise every day.

I like my Apple Watch and I've become quite accustomed to it being in my wrist all these months. However, Inwish it were more realized. Outside of the Apple-made functions, deva have left a lot to be desired out of this thing.

Had my watch since late July and yesterday was the first day I've missed my move, exercise, and stand goals.

Went for a run, slipped in some mud and leaves and ended up taking a tumble. Bust open my knee and hand. Quite a bit of skin was just dangling off my palm. Covered head to toe in mud and blood it looked like I just walked out of a car accident.

Gutted that I broke my chain. There goes my perfect November award. I might as well rest until Monday now seeing as my streak is broke. Don't think it'd be a smart idea to head out anyway.

😔

/rant
At least you have a good excuse!

jimmypython

HI all,

I just got my 38mm space gray sport version. Very happy with the purchase so far.

One question, do I need a screen protector?

Thanks!

mrkgoo

I was playing with power reserve mode to see what it does and it's supposed to show the time when you push the button, but mine just shows the charger icon with the magnetic puck.

The watch battery shows about 50% charge.

Is it only supposed to show time if you're on low battery or something?

SuperPac

I was playing with power reserve mode to see what it does and it's supposed to show the time when you push the button, but mine just shows the charger icon with the magnetic puck.

The watch battery shows about 50% charge.

Is it only supposed to show time if you're on low battery or something?

Power reserve only shows the time, yes (it's not like the iPhone's low power mode). And it doesn't turn off automatically regardless of charge level - you have to reboot to go back to normal. I've never had to use reserve mode, honestly.

mrkgoo

Power reserve only shows the time, yes (it's not like the iPhone's low power mode). And it doesn't turn off automatically regardless of charge level - you have to reboot to go back to normal. I've never had to use reserve mode, honestly.

I know what it's supposed to do, but when I put it on power reserve mode it doesn't show time when impress the side button, it only shows a red lightning bolt with the charging puck.

Basically, power reserve doesn't do anything other than put it in a mode that requires rebooting. I cannot ever see the time.

I was wondering if power reserve mode only works on low charge, like if you enter it with decent charge is it not supposed to work?

LCfiner

I know what it's supposed to do, but when I put it on power reserve mode it doesn't show time when impress the side button, it only shows a red lightning bolt with the charging puck.

Basically, power reserve doesn't do anything other than put it in a mode that requires rebooting. I cannot ever see the time.

I was wondering if power reserve mode only works on low charge, like if you enter it with decent charge is it not supposed to work?

i’ve used it a few times and it is supposed to show the time even if you enter it with full or weak battery.

if yours doesn’t work regardless of how the watch is charged, then consider a reinstallation of the OS. :/

mrkgoo

i’ve used it a few times and it is supposed to show the time even if you enter it with full or weak battery.

if yours doesn’t work regardless of how the watch is charged, then consider a reinstallation of the OS. :/

Bah. It's not worth the hassle at the moment as it's not a feature I will use at this moment. Maybe years down the line when the battery becomes more consumed. I checked with a mate's watch and he has the same issue.

Just hope it's a software thing not a hardware one.

Going to check a few watches later as well. Potentially it's an issue with the latest OS and people haven't noticed yet because no one ever uses power reserve.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish you could customise vibrations on the watch for different apps and for different contacts. I have mine on silent and my phone doesn't vibrate because I'm wearing the watch I just get a generic vibration and can't easily tell whether it's a text/email/other. Would love to be able to blindly triage things just by feel.

LCfiner

I wish you could customise vibrations on the watch for different apps and for different contacts. I have mine on silent and my phone doesn't vibrate because I'm wearing the up I just get a generic vibration and can't easily tell whether it's a text/email/other. Would love to be able to blindly triage things just by feel.

same. I’m hoping that comes in a future OS update.

I know it’s less effort to tilt my wrist to see notification compared to checking phone but now the watch has spoiled me to be even lazier when it comes to notification triage, heh.

I want to know without having to look at anything if i got a FB message, an email, a wordfued notification, etc.

I also would like the option to keep watch notifications on even with phone unlocked. he use case here is if I have the phone unlocked for GPS but i’m not staring at the phone screen all the time. I can easily miss a message when the banner slides down.

neither issue is a show stopper but it would be nice to have as the os matures.

mrkgoo

Does anybody else feel random like vibrating a few times a day, is that when it's taking my heartbeat?
Considering it's pretty much constantly measuring heart rate, no. Also when you actively go measure heart rate, you can see it light up green.

You're probably just experiencing phantom vibrations.

So no one else has a non functioning power reserve mode?

Phreaker

Does anybody else feel random like vibrating a few times a day, is that when it's taking my heartbeat?

The vibration should not be random. When it does vibrate, look at the watch, it should tell you why. If you missed it, it should be in notifications (swipe down).

LCfiner

Considering it's pretty much constantly measuring heart rate, no. Also when you actively go measure heart rate, you can see it light up green.

You're probably just experiencing phantom vibrations.

So no one else has a non functioning power reserve mode?

just double checked as i was curious about the power reserve mode. i’m on os 2.0.1. power reserve works as advertised for me. i press the “friends” button to get a display of the time, in green, that shows up around a second after the button is pushed.

I entered the mode with battery around 90 percent.

mrkgoo

just double checked as i was curious about the power reserve mode. i’m on os 2.0.1. power reserve works as advertised for me. i press the “friends” button to get a display of the time, in green, that shows up around a second after the button is pushed.

I entered the mode with battery around 90 percent.

Strange. I've checked with two of my friends and one has checked in with who they can. They all exhibit the issue as I described.

Might be. Combination of that mode and a certain setting. Maybe our region?

Edit: looks like it's my region. If I change it on my phone power reserve works.

So I was pleasantly surprised to find that the music glance works with Spotify. Would have assumed that would only work for the official Music app

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I was pleasantly surprised to find that the music glance works with Spotify. Would have assumed that would only work for the official Music app

For control it'll work with anything that uses the normal music playback methods. Works with pocketcast a too for instance. It would have been mindlessly blockheaded of Apple if they limited it to only their app

I'm pretty sure the music glance works with every audio app.

For control it'll work with anything that uses the normal music playback methods. Works with pocketcast a too for instance. It would have been mindlessly blockheaded of Apple if they limited it to only their app

That's what I guessed after controlling a spotify song. I just assumed Apple made the mindlessly blockhead move, happy to be wrong

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think the watch definitely sometimes vibrates randomly. Definitely.

I don't think they will change the size of the casing, so interesting to see what they change to make it a better product; better processor, better battery, better screen. Is that enough? watchOS 3 probably won't be out until September.

I'm going to say it'll be thinner with a better processor. I doubt the battery life or screen change significantly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really think it would be smart if you could force touch the message icon on the friend-face-screen and be taken directly to dictation. I rarely use the predefined responses.... And we all know it can be a little laggy waiting for those to load just so you can press the microphone to start speaking.

Top Bottom