• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

mrkgoo

So I paired my Apple TV to my watch as a remote, but then tried removing it.

It gave me the option but nothing happened. Took me ages to try and remove it until I realised that it also actually pairs through your phone if the phone is connected via home sharing.

No mention of this in apples support notes - is that new to watchOS 2 or something?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
RAISE THE ROOF!
24Et9Fa.gif

GET IT GET IT HERE IT IS!

RAISE THE ROOF!
24Et9Fa.gif

WOOP! WOOP!

RAISE THE ROOF!
24Et9Fa.gif

Fliesen

i'm kinda underwhelmed by the impact WatchOS 2.0 had. I was very much hyped about it, but it didn't seem to change my usage patterns all that much.

are the apps that are being updated (like Messenger) still not 'native apps'? because they still mostly run like ass.

the biggest perceptible change to me is the multi-colored watch face and time-traveling forward to see how cold it's gonna be on my bike ride home.

Yeah, developers don't seem to care at all. I have no idea if any apps are now native - I don't use any regularly because they're all terrible - but the few I tried (Dark Sky and Citymapper) which had been updated don't seem any better at all.
I was mainly excited about new complications, but there's been little adoption of that either. the Citymapper one doesn't do much and the Dark Sky one frequently stops working.
I also don't really want to give them permanent slots on my watch face. I'd only need Citymapper when i initiate a journey on my phone. They really need to make the watchface a little more dynamic and give you contextual complications rather than them all being fixed.

I was mainly excited about new complications, but there's been little adoption of that either. the Citymapper one doesn't do much and the Dark Sky one frequently stops working.
I also don't really want to give them permanent slots on my watch face. I'd only need Citymapper when i initiate a journey on my phone. They really need to make the watchface a little more dynamic and give you contextual complications rather than them all being fixed.

Completely agree on this. Stuff like having the Watch see from your calendar that you'll be travelling so it pushes the citymapper complication to the watch face would be clutch for the Apple Watch.

There's already so much location based data collected by the phone in the background - it would be great to have that info put to good use for the user.

Completely agree on this. Stuff like having the Watch see from your calendar that you'll be travelling so it pushes the citymapper complication to the watch face would be clutch for the Apple Watch.

There's already so much location based data collected by the phone in the background - it would be great to have that info put to good use for the user.

Even if there was an API that allowed iPhone apps to push their data to a complication without having to touch my watch.
The big thing I've learned from having a watch for months now is that I want to interact with it as little as possible. It's just too fiddly. All I want is to use it for quick glances of data, and the more I can either manage what that data is from my phone or without doing anything at all, the better.

Just took a ton of apps off the watch, simply because I'm not using them and would never use them. It produces a great deal of clutter on the choose app interface, something I'm also not using that much. Really hope Apple Watch 2 is a major step up but I kind of doubt it. I really think we are seeing the limitations of the watch in our face right now. OS2 has been out for while and I'm seeing nothing.

I love the watch. It just has reduced my expectations greatly.

They seriously need this. There are a few complications that could be useful for a couple of hours or a day at a time but I don't want to bother switching them in myself every time I think I'll need them.

Ninja Dom

Just took a ton of apps off the watch, simply because I'm not using them and would never use them. It produces a great deal of clutter on the choose app interface, something I'm also not using that much. Really hope Apple Watch 2 is a major step up but I kind of doubt it. I really think we are seeing the limitations of the watch in our face right now. OS2 has been out for while and I'm seeing nothing.

I love the watch. It just has reduced my expectations greatly.

Yeah I said in the last page that I can't see what improved hardware will bring to the watch experience. Maybe a little faster in doing things but after having watchOS 2 for a couple of weeks now, and seeing the lack of much effort from 3rd party's, what more are you gonna do for me?

Moreche

As much as I like my watch, I can't see myself upgrading it and wanting another and this makes me think what's the point of it and that makes me also think of getting rid of it.

Yeah I said in the last page that I can't see what improved hardware will bring to the watch experience. Maybe a little faster in doing things but after having watchOS 2 for a couple of weeks now, and seeing the lack of much effort from 3rd party's, what more are you gonna do for me?

Agreed. And they don't want to tick off the first gen owners. So better waterproofing, better battery life. That's about it. The app experience is miserable and comparable to apps from the competition. It just feels half-baked.

Still like mine. Just wish both first party apps and third party apps would step things up.

I don't ever want apps to be the focus of it. It's a cool device for notifications and quick access to information from the watch face. I hope they focus on making big improvements to those, apps are just a complete waste of time on a screen that small.

Anyone here think the Apple Watch would be worth keeping even without owning an iPhone? I'm currently debating returning my iPhone 6s and going for the Lumia 950, and keeping my current iPhone 6 to keep my Watch "synced" with a phone in case I ever want to add any cards for Apple Pay.

My primary use for the watch right now is just Apple Pay/Time telling. I mean I respond to messages and make calls with it, and control my music, but that stuff is things I can live without.

As far as I know though, no other Smart Watch on the market supports NFC payments, so I'd like to keep my Apple Watch for that purpose as well and looking stylish with it on. :3

Think it'd be worth keeping the watch, or should I just sell it? And how much do you even think I could get back for it? I own a 42MM Stainless Steel, with the Milanese Loop... if it retails for $699... how much could a used one go for? Would like... $400 be fair or should I try for more?

mrkgoo

As much as I like my watch, I can't see myself upgrading it and wanting another and this makes me think what's the point of it and that makes me also think of getting rid of it.

I actually find it refreshing that it's not a "must-have" device. I have enough of those already and don't really want to feel I have another thing I need to upgrade every couple or so years.

Ironically to that, I'm totally happy with my Apple Watch and what it does for me now, but I also would love to do more with it as time goes on. I find it useful as a tiny screen for my phone that makes it sknindint have to pull it out of my pocket.

Majine

Banned
I kinda hope by watchOS3 that Apple put the foot down and say "Update your apps to native or we take it off the App store". Won't happen, but it'd be nice.

cakefoo

My Maps have lost responsiveness in Watch OS2. It'll lag for a couple seconds when swiping between nav steps. Sometimes it's so bad (5-10 seconds) and I have to restart the app.

cakefoo

My watch just started making a buzzing sound and I could hardly feel the vibration. The Apple store and I both assumed it was a hardware issue. I restarted the watch, and now it's... fine? Hmm.

Blackhead

Redarse
Would have been nice to have an iMessage compilation where it shows you if you have unread messages and takes you directly to the app.
Yes! I really want this. It's annoy to have to dig out the app. Rather have a complication to go straight there.

Hmm I dont see the point. There's a red dot that on the watchface that let's you know of any unseen notifications and tapping on an iMessage notification opens up the app. iMessage has actually been the one solid experience on AppleWatch for me. I don't use the reply features though, just reading and reviewing.

What I do want a complication for is the Music app. It takes way too much fiddling and tapping/swiping to get to music glance and see the name of the song playing or heart+save (even more frustrating going through all those steps then sometimes Beats1 doesn't allow me to do either). It's actually faster to use the phone :/.

Yeah, developers don't seem to care at all. I have no idea if any apps are now native - I don't use any regularly because they're all terrible - but the few I tried (Dark Sky and Citymapper) which had been updated don't seem any better at all.

Migrating to WatchOS2 was/is a pain in the ass. A lot of stuff that worked before is completely gone and there are no good replacements/work arounds. Plus the XCode 7 beta was just trash through and through and even the GM hasn't been much better.

ColonelT

I just realized I seem to be missing the "Health" app (white icon, red heart) from my Apple Watch. I swear there was one there before the OS update, but I'd only had the watch for a week at that point so I can't remember for sure. Should the Health app be there, and how do I get it back?

I just realized I seem to be missing the "Health" app (white icon, red heart) from my Apple Watch. I swear there was one there before the OS update, but I'd only had the watch for a week at that point so I can't remember for sure. Should the Health app be there, and how do I get it back?

There isn't a health app on the Watch.

I only know of the Health app on the phone itself. I don't ever recall seeing it available on the watch.

The Flop

Banned
Tempted to jump in with the 42mm gold sport with Midnight Blue band. Did anyone buy theirs from Best Buy or Target? Is there a display of them or are you able to try them on at all?

Red

Ordered a 38mm rose gold sport for my wife. Bought through B&H Photo. No tax outside of New York. She's not much of a techie but she's on her phone a bunch. I hope she likes it.

I'll keep an eye out for nicer bands, but the included lavender sport band doesn't look half bad.

ZeroX03

Banned
Bought myself a lovely 42mm silver sport. Played around with it a little bit and really like it, but I need to get rid of this white band and use a silver link. Should look a hell of a lot better.

This fitness tracking has been so messed up since the watch OS update. I used to have to run for 30 min on a treadmill to fill up the green circle prior to the update. Now it's 3/4 full from walking from my office parking lot to my cube. I used to be able to fill the red circle by the end of the day just by walking around my office building a few times at lunch. Now it seems I have to run a 5K to get it close to full. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Tempted to jump in with the 42mm gold sport with Midnight Blue band. Did anyone buy theirs from Best Buy or Target? Is there a display of them or are you able to try them on at all?
My Best Buy just has one watch sitting out. You can play with it and test it out, but since there's a security thing attached to it you can't get it on your wrist. There might be a larger display at another store though since mine isn't that big compared to some of them.

Red

Is it possible to set photos for the modular watch face? The default photo watch face displays very little info.

Blackhead

Redarse
Too bad.

I remember hearing something about T-Mobile allowing messages to be forwarded to the watch when on wifi, even when it is out of range of the phone. Any truth to this?

Every Apple watch should be able to send/receive messages when on wifi, even when it is out of range of the phone. TMobile also offers the ability to make phone calls when on wifi, even when it is out of the range of the phone.

p.s. there is a new apple watch app that provides a phone dialer in a glance: Watch Keypad. should be a native feature tbh

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Haptics have stopped for my Inbox (the gmail app) notifications. Not sure how or why.

I've really started to love Next's complication, its just a total of how much money you've spent that day. Its incredibly useful to track spending.. though it doesn't refresh when it should.

cakefoo

How is Siri for everyone else? It's spotty for me. Sometimes it will put my words out of order, sometimes it will include "Hey Siri" right in the item I'm dictating. Sometimes it will hang. Sometimes it will stop listening mid-sentence even though I'm connecting my words fast enough. Sometimes it will say "I don't see that person on your contacts," even though it recognized the name 100% accurately, and goes right back to connecting to my contact list on subsequent commands. Sometimes I'll ask for driving directions and it'll say "I don't know where you are," or "Directions are unavailable," even though I can try again on my iPhone and get directions immediately.

With all the combined bugs, I probably experience one of them every handful of attempts.

Feature requests:
The option to confirm/disconfirm a reminder was heard correctly. It happens when creating calendar events, so why not reminders? As a result, I end up having to create multiple reminders because it gets a word so wrong that I wouldn't remember what it should have been corrected to.
Support for "play more songs like this" in Apple Music (works via Siri on iPhone).

I'm considering a reset or an Apple tech appointment if the bugs I mentioned aren't common with everyone else.

And out of curiosity, does anyone else not get a vibration when they get an Instagram alert? I never get a vibration, but the alert appears visually if the Watch face happens to be on when it happens, and notifications do appear in the notifications area.

Top Bottom