• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wanna bet?

They'd *like* you to, but judging how often I still see iPhone 4 and 4S out in the wild, never mind pre-Retina iPads, people are sticking with their devices for as long as they do what they want them to do.

Shocking, I know. :p I mean, Apple sure tries to *entice* people, but it's still the consumer's decision.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to measuring my wrist and its 157mm. I preordered the Medium Modern Buckle online and when I went to the store they only had the largest strap to try on, which at its tightest is 160 mm. It was definitely a little loose and the haptic feedback wasn't very strong.

Glad to know for 100% I'll be able to get a super snug fit like I like.

bms2993

Banned
The watch is here. Going to refrain from opening it till later so I can do it with my equally as Apple fanboy friend. 😅

image.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
My Forecast:

Apple iPhone - 57.2m
Apple Mac - 4.1m
Apple iPad - 10.9m

Revenue: $53b

Actual Results

Apple iPhone - 61.2m
Apple Mac - 4.56m
Apple iPad - 12.6m

Revenue: $58b

Not too bad.

The strength of iPhone sales still astounds me.

Based on my prediction model this puts current iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sell in at over 120 million units.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kind of crazy to think that the resolution of the 42mm watch is pretty much the same as the first iPhone (if you chopped the top off to make it squarer). And it's on your wrist.

The watch is here. Going to refrain from opening it till later so I can do it with my equally as Apple fanboy friend. 😅

image.jpg

You're lucky. I had about 20 minutes at most and then I had to head out as the UPS guy shows up late here.

Caught up the next morning though. Overall, it was a complete success. Any issues (ESPN app freezing) appeared later. Good luck.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I got an e-mail saying it'll be shipped within 4-6 weeks. It'll be here sooner than that, hopefully.

Now I'm researching my options for case protectors, and I set aside some money to do a band swap to the traditional leather band at the local Apple Store. I plan on finally upgrading to a iPhone 6 this weekend.

I have a complaint:

I've had my stainless steel since Friday and after a very close inspection, I don't have a single scratch on the steel casing.

I really wanted one. My wedding ring (white gold, cheaper than platinum) has scratches but this near perfect device, an Apple Watch, has no scratches.

This watch may be the devil.

SuperPac

Just revealed in the earnings call - they anticipate being able to expand into more countries in late June. That's quite a wait.

TxdoHawk

Can't lie, I'm a little grumpy that I haven't even been charged yet, especially given these reports of people ordering 42mm Space Grays way after and getting them shipped. I was pretty resigned to not getting into the first wave for Friday, but I had assumed that I'd at least be charged by now, if not have a tracking number.

I guess patience is my only option at this point. (That, and the realization that this sort of thing is the first worldliest of first world problems.)

Can't lie, I'm a little grumpy that I haven't even been charged yet, especially given these reports of people ordering 42mm Space Grays way after and getting them shipped. I was pretty resigned to not getting into the first wave for Friday, but I had assumed that I'd at least be charged by now, if not have a tracking number.

I guess patience is my only option at this point. (That, and the realization that this sort of thing is the first worldliest of first world problems.)

Especially when you're getting upset for not being charged hundreds of dollars

Phreaker

I am in the same boat. When I see people with older orders for the same watch getting shipping notices I think either they can't be telling the truth or Apple is not processing them in the order received. I hope something happens with my order soon. I was even tempted to cancel today. :/

Talon

How about phonecalls? Is it convenient?
I haven't done that yet. Mostly checking the watch for notifications (emails I can ignore or look at later), which meeting I'm in next, checking weather, etc.

Siri for dictation feels like it's better, but I think it may just be that I'm holding the watch closer to my face than I would with the phone.

jts

...hate me...
Had what I wanted, some info about the 2nd wave of countries. Late June, at least as a tentative date. NotBad.jpg

Finally have mine and I am loving it so far.

Now the fear sets in of having it stolen. My girlfriend told me to take it off on the subway ride to work.

Theonik

Kind of crazy to think that the resolution of the 42mm watch is pretty much the same as the first iPhone (if you chopped the top off to make it squarer). And it's on your wrist.
Display tech had already smoked the original iPhone back in 2009. Mobile hardware has come a long way since 2008 but it has basically stalled for the last couple of years and change.

Finally have mine and I am loving it so far.

Now the fear sets in of having it stolen. My girlfriend told me to take it off on the subway ride to work.

I'm worried about that too...don't have mine yet but I don't live in the best area and worry about walking around on a sunny day in short sleeves with my Apple Watch announcing itself to the world. Sounds great until you're in an area where wearing white apple earbuds can get you picked out.

Even if it doesn't work without the paired device, the average schmuck isn't going to know/care about that.

I was reading somewhere that they found hardware in a tear apart that could possibly allow Blood Oxygen levels to be analysed by the watch after a software update. Does anybody know what uses or applications a Blood Oxygen sensor would have?

I was using walking directions today but it didn't seem to give me the left and right vibrations instead it just gave me a standard vibration as if it was just getting a notification.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Is it possible to look at your mileage count while you run? I just noticed the time elapsed.

Maybe that's only possible with goals, which kinda sucks. I just run and go till I want to stop.

riotous

Banned
Apple "shipped" my watch yesterday afternoon; AKA.. printed a label... package still hasn't been delivered to UPS. Getting late in the day.. ARGH!

Have a feeling they won't be getting this to me tomorrow.

SuperPac

Apple "shipped" my watch yesterday afternoon; AKA.. printed a label... package still hasn't been delivered to UPS. Getting late in the day.. ARGH!

Have a feeling they won't be getting this to me tomorrow.

Depends what the origin is. It's probably somewhere in the U.S., so you should be fine. For instance, my wife's watch origin scan was in TN the night before it arrived. Still got here a-ok.

My watch also arrives tomorrow and also hasn't appeared in the system yet but tracking says it'll get here. Should be good. :)

riotous

Banned
Depends what the origin is. It's probably somewhere in the U.S., so you should be fine. For instance, my wife's watch origin scan was in TN the night before it arrived. Still got here a-ok.

My watch also arrives tomorrow and also hasn't appeared in the system yet but tracking says it'll get here. Should be good. :)

Yeah I get a lot of deliveries and am used to the "printed label" shenanigans; UPS finally updated the tracking to actually include the "Scheduled Delivery" notice; so not so worried any more.

You never know though; this is a bit like ordering from amazon.com around Christmas time.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So here's my Apple Watch 42mm battry burndown test.

6:30 - woke up and took watch to use - 100% battery

- 2 sports sessions, each 1h long
- 2 Hailo cab orders
- 1 Uber order
- Reading the mail in tube, taxi, lifts and shower
- Checking the calendar every now and then
- Reading BBC News headlines a few times
- Demoing the watch briefly to friends / collegues on 5 occasions
- Reading a bunch of notifications from Twitter, WhatsApp and more
- 1 phone call, about 5 min
- 3 messages, dictated

00:47AM - going to bed - 4% battery

So the watch made it through a pretty intense day without shutting down like I feared. Still, there is some anxiety in seeing the watch battery indicator drop to single digits.

jts

...hate me...
So here's my Apple Watch 42mm battry burndown test.

6:30 - woke up and took watch to use - 100% battery

- 2 sports sessions, each 1h long
- 2 Hailo cab orders
- 1 Uber order
- Reading the mail in tube, taxi, lifts and shower
- Checking the calendar every now and then
- Reading BBC News headlines a few times
- Demoing the watch briefly to friends / collegues on 5 occasions
- Reading a bunch of notifications from Twitter, WhatsApp and more
- 1 phone call, about 5 min
- 3 messages, dictated

00:47AM - going to bed - 4% battery

So the watch made it through a pretty intense day without shutting down like I feared. Still, there is some anxiety in seeing the watch battery indicator drop to single digits.
I thought it goes automatically into Power Reserve mode when it drops under 10%?

Otherwise, doesn't sound bad at all.

DSFan1970

Love my Apple Warch Sport. Battery life is amazing. Love it!

Two questions:

1)from notifications can you launch the app? I can't seem to do this or even know if it is possible.

2)The bands are all sold out until June? Can you buy bands in the brick and mortar Apple Store now?

My Watch's battery life has been incredibly impressive over the past two days. This morning I woke up at 8:30, slapped it on and:

• Checked Instagram, Twitter and my email while brushing my teeth
  • Sent two dictated texts
  • Asked Siri for directions to a UPS store
  • Used the glance controls to fiddle with Spotify on my ride over to campus
  • Responded to three texts with the preset responses
  • Stared at the jellyfish watchface for way too long
  • Checked off some tasks in Wunderlist
  • Brewed two cups of coffee with my Aeropress using the AeroPress Timer app (so good)
  • Went to Whole Foods, used the Watch for my Yummly grocery list
  • Used Apple Pay at checkout
  • Got directions to a local animal shelter
  • Responded to three more texts with dictation, and sent one creepy glove hand emoji
  • Checked my calendar for the week
  • Made a GIF and posted it to FB with Workflow. Workflow is insane.
  • Made a phone call that lasted about 5 minutes

And it's at 74%. Outside of all of what I chronologically listed above, I've been pretty frequently activating the face just to stare at the jellyfish whenever I'm bored, as well as fiddle with other watch faces. I also use Knock to unlock my MBP every time I open it, which I've done too many times to include in the list. The battery life is shockingly impressive, and I couldn't be happier with the experience so far. It's a huge upgrade from my Moto 360 which never kept up with my 14-15 hour days.

Owari

One day, Apple will decide to ship every model of their beloved Watch.

I hope that day comes before May 14, but I'm not holding my breath. Worst Apple product launch in history. Thanks Angela.

Top Bottom