• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

btrboyev

My Apple Watch works really poorly in strength training. It loses the heart rate during squats, lunges and deadlifts, even if my strap is tight, displaying 60-70BPM for a while. When I am stationary it will find my heart rate again, usually 120-140BPM.

It's designed for cardio only.

So I almost jokingly listed my Sport on ebay a few days ago, and it sold.

I have no idea what to do GAF. Do I keep my current Watch and enjoy it until second gen, or should I ship it today and order a 42mm SS Milanese Loop instead? I really don't know if I can handle waiting until June. I'll also be at home over the summer and probably won't really be able to use it until August.

I ordered on the 25th. I'm waiting until June, aren't I?

Depends on how popular the model is your ordering, if you got a something like a blue or green band model expect movement sooner

This makes zero sense, how do you almost list something and sell it? No need to pretend you sold it as a "joke", but this isn't the thread to ask for eBay advice

I have no idea what to do GAF. Do I keep my current Watch and enjoy it until second gen, or should I ship it today and order a 42mm SS Milanese Loop instead? I really don't know if I can handle waiting until June. I'll also be at home over the summer and probably won't really be able to use it until August.

I can only speak for myself, but I have been enjoying the hell out of my Watch and I'm glad I jumped in day one of gen 1. If there are significant gen 2 improvements, then I'll sell my gen 1 when I upgrade to gen 2. If there isn't much added gen 2 (no significant battery improvements or new sensors added) then I'll skip gen 2 and continue to enjoy my gen 1 Watch.

xsarien

daedsiluap
So the green bar for exercise filled in on my commute to work.

How does the Watch determine if you're exercising?

I spend a great deal of time in the subway but I do jog up a long flight of stairs and have a short brisk walk. Nothing more than five minutes though.

An hour and a half of use and it's still at 100% on the 38mm.

I'm assuming that it's kind of a flexible goal system; as it learns your daily averages things will kind of normalize.

If you listed it on eBay and it sold, you need to ship it to the person you sold it to.

Depends on how popular the model is your ordering, if you got a something like a blue or green band model expect movement sooner

This makes zero sense, how do you almost list something and sell it? No need to pretend you sold it as a "joke", but this isn't the thread to ask for eBay advice

Poorly phrased. Realistically I listed it thinking if it sold for the ludicrous price that it did, I would just sell it. I'm legitimately sorry if this was a bad place to discuss it, particularly when so many of you are still waiting for your Watch.

If you listed it on eBay and it sold, you need to ship it to the person you sold it to.

He hasn't paid, which also brings into question whether or not it actually sold at all. I've had to deal with fake purchases quite a bit in the past and it might be another situation where the buyer never pays and I have to contact ebay to cancel the transaction.

mattp

got my wife a watch as a birthday gift
she forgot her wallet at home today. iphone battery died on the bus this morning. she got starbucks with her watch

purchase justified

xsarien

daedsiluap
she forgot her wallet at home today. iphone battery died on the bus this morning. she got starbucks with her watch

purchase justified

My infatuation with Apple Pay is very real. I'm happy I don't have to wait until my contract expires in a few months to start using it.

Ferny

purchase justified

That's awesome. One of the reasons I want the watch is to fuel my starbucks addiction.

I don't have a credit card that supports apple pay, i'm thinking about signing up for one that does support it... is it a game changer at places that accept it? I really want to pay with my watch :(

bms2993

Banned
It is a binding contract. if you have a buyer, you have sold your item for all intents and purposes regardless of whether he has paid yet. He has two days to pay for the item before you can submit a resolution ticket and even then, he has another set of days in which he can use before responding to you.

Do not list or resell for the moment. If he eventually pays and you do not have an item on hand, you are in breach of your agreement.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

This happens ALL the time for me on eBay. Just don't do ANYTHING until you receive the message on paypal's site.

I have had the watch on since 6:22am and it's at 87% around 1:20pm.

38mm.

I have received barely any notifications today. lol.

It is a binding contract. if you have a buyer, you have sold your item for all intents and purposes regardless of whether he has paid yet. He has two days to pay for the item before you can submit a resolution ticket and even then, he has another set of days in which he can use before responding to you.

Do not list or resell for the moment. If he eventually pays and you do not have an item on hand, you are in breach of your agreement.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

I'm aware of the terms, but thanks for the information either way. I'm not doing anything with it until he either pays within the allowed period or cancels.

How do I go about changing my daily activity goals? I originally chose moderate, and I've already filled the 3 circles walking around the office. I'd like a slightly more aggressive goal.

Edit: Never mind. I totally forgot about force touch.

TxdoHawk

Just received my tracking number, not active yet but supposedly due to be delivered tomorrow. I feel bad about complaining yesterday now.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I don't even have it yet, and I'm already thinking that Facebook, Google, and hell, even RSA code generator apps would be a Godsend. It'd be so much easier than dealing with that crap on my phone.

btkadams

I just wish the shipping timeframes were accurate so I wasn't waking up every morning rushing to check if my order status has changed. I'm going to be doing this every day until the end of May, aren't I?

DarkWish

Used Fandango to add a movie ticket to Passbook, which I pulled up on my watch. I was able to head in with a soda in one hand and popcorn in the other and they could just scan the ticket from my Apple Watch. The employees were surprised about it and thought it was cool. It was very convenient to use!

iMax

Used Fandango to add a movie ticket to Passbook, which I pulled up on my watch. I was able to head in with a soda in one hand and popcorn in the other and they could just scan the ticket from my Apple Watch. The employees were surprised about it and thought it was cool. It was very convenient to use!

Did the display not dim?

I suppose you have it set to resume your last open app upon wrist raise? I wish there was an option for both, so it showed the time for about 2 seconds and then went to your last open app.

btkadams

Did the display not dim?

I suppose you have it set to resume your last open app upon wrist raise? I wish there was an option for both, so it showed the time for about 2 seconds and then went to your last open app.
If it's like passbook on iPhone, the screen will always be full-brightness when it's open.

Mitch

Banned
After much consideration, I went ahead and purchased a 42mm Sport (white band). Decided to finance it as well. Could always use more positive credit history. I had my father sign up for one when I bought my first Mac, so I have some experience using their card.

Will pay it off before August, most likely.

Ninja Dom

After much consideration, I went ahead and purchased a 42mm Sport (white band). Decided to finance it as well. Could always use more positive credit history. I had my father sign up for one when I bought my first Mac, so I have some experience using their card.

Will pay it off before August, most likely.

What is the financing arrangement that you agreed to? In the UK Apple Store uses PayPal Credit and adds 14.9% interest. 6, 12, 18, and 24 month payments.

Mitch

Banned
What is the financing arrangement that you agreed to? In the UK Apple Store uses PayPal Credit and adds 14.9% interest. 6, 12, 18, and 24 month payments.
They offer financing through Barclaycard, which is tied into their Apple Rewards program.

No interest if paid in full (within your allotted time). Since I spent under $500, if I pay it off within 6 months, there's zero interest. Spending over $500 is 12 months, $1000 is 18 months IIRC.

ecurbj

Fuck that stand up ring. I fill it to about 9 stand ups in the day, and then at night i can't fill it because i'm relaxing playing a video game lol.
My question is. I hate when it pings or alerts you when your about to go to bed. Is there a way for it to know your resting and not ping or does it still periodically just keep pinging every so often?

Theonik

I might be misremembering but wasn't Target one of those retailers that disabled NFC in general in favour of pushing their own shitty QR code based payment system?

ckohler

Don't they have NFC? If you see the symbol then go for it.

Some places don't allow it. Best Buy is another. Even if they have this symbol:

contactless_logo_large.png

...that doesn't guarantee that Apple Pay will work.

UPDATE: Looks like Best Buy is going to accept Apple Pay soon, though.

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/apple...est-buy-app-coming-to-stores-later-this-year/

So, update.

My coworker ordered his Apple Watch this past Friday. 5 days ago. He just got it today. Wore it to work.

Mine, ordered at 12:30am on April 10th, is still processing for a "May 29 - June 11" delivery window.

What the fuck?

Like, it's not a big deal, I've lived this long without an Apple Watch and I'm sure I'll continue to live just fine until I get it but that seems kinda fucked up to me that they aren't fulfilling opening day preorders before people getting on the bandwagon 2-3 weeks later.

DTU

Banned

purchase justified

Not buying it. How did her battery die in the morning?

Top Bottom