• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Anyone knowledgeable enough to make an Apple Watch game thread?

From what I've seen they are more distractions than outright games but there are some interesting ideas.

It's so ugly! I'll stick with my Citizen AT for tech watches. If I ever spend 10+ racks on a watch it would be a Rolly or the Le Vian spinner watch.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
One day, Apple will decide to ship every model of their beloved Watch.

I hope that day comes before May 14, but I'm not holding my breath. Worst Apple product launch in history. Thanks Angela.
She likely has zero control over launch supply, let alone any manufacturing issues

It's so ugly! I'll stick with my Citizen AT for tech watches. If I ever spend 10+ racks on a watch it would be a Rolly or the Le Vian spinner watch.
Cool story breh.

A couple things I noticed today:
• In bright sunlight, the Watch is pretty much unreadable (I have brightness set to max). I think this is probably more due to the higher reflectiveness of the Watch glass vs. iPhone screens.
• When you start driving directions with Siri voicing directions, Maps on the Watch still activates and does its haptic taps at every turn. This is really distracting (and power-sucking), and there's no way to turn it off unless you turn off Turn Alerts completely on the Watch.

On the plus side, battery life continues to be great. 12 hours so far with many notifications, showing off to people, map directions on an hour drive, and the battery is 66%. This is with the 38mm.

So here's my Apple Watch 42mm battry burndown test.

6:30 - woke up and took watch to use - 100% battery

- 2 sports sessions, each 1h long
- 2 Hailo cab orders
- 1 Uber order
- Reading the mail in tube, taxi, lifts and shower
- Checking the calendar every now and then
- Reading BBC News headlines a few times
- Demoing the watch briefly to friends / collegues on 5 occasions
- Reading a bunch of notifications from Twitter, WhatsApp and more
- 1 phone call, about 5 min
- 3 messages, dictated

00:47AM - going to bed - 4% battery

So the watch made it through a pretty intense day without shutting down like I feared. Still, there is some anxiety in seeing the watch battery indicator drop to single digits.

That's supposed to be the biggest battery killer, what was your battery after 2 hours with fitness app?

Shearie

I ordered a 42mm Space Gray Sport on the afternoon of the 10th and I got an email today that my delivery status has been upgraded from the nebulous June date to......May 29 - June 11... :/

Ambient80

Interesting issue I just had.

So I set my workout app for a thirty minute indoor walk (more of a jog really but whatever). I start it, everything is fine. Once I finish, I check my fitness thing and it says I only exercised for 20 minutes today, even though I performed a thirty minute workout. My heart rate was ~150 the whole time and I didn't stop the entire time.

Now the 2/3 full green circle mocks me. :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that ads really are pervasive. I'm an internet man so the half hour of cable that was on in the background at Moms house earlier was pretty interesting. Saw a few different cuts of the Apple ads. Definintely the most prominent advertiser in the slot. I think it was dancing with the stars that was on.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's supposed to be the biggest battery killer, what was your battery after 2 hours with fitness app?

Each session ate 10-15% of the battery if I recall correctly.

In the second session the activity app got buggy amd kept showing 59-72BPM whereas I really was doing 130-150BPM. I needed to keep going between glances HR view and the activities app to resolve it, so that extra shuffling and checking probably ate a fair bit too. It's incredibly unfulfilling to be busting your ass and your watch showing 59BPM!

I thought it goes automatically into Power Reserve mode when it drops under 10%?

Otherwise, doesn't sound bad at all.

Yeah it did offer Power Reserve but I declined as it makes the watch pointless in many ways, I think.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If exercise kills the battery because of continuous heart rate monitoring, maybe in the future there could be an option to not do that. Unless you're specifically doing cardio ranges, wouldn't it be enough to just estimate calories based on elapsed time and exercise type - at least once it has calibrated for you?

Not really, unless the person is also playing music directly from the watch (meaning they don't have their phone). That combination is what Apple says is pretty bad, if only doing music and nothing else you get 6.5 hours per charge, but you get 7 hours per charge when exercising (and nothing else). The true worst according to Apple is phone calls done through the watch, you only get 3 hours of that per charge. (All these times are for 38 mm watch)

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I'd just like to add I love the transitions between the home screen and the watch faces. Zoom in slowly with the digital crown and see, the transition to Solar is impressive.

It's the little things :)

Not really, unless the person is also playing music directly from the watch (meaning they don't have their phone). That combination is what Apple says is pretty bad, if only doing music and nothing else you get 6.5 hours per charge, but you get 7 hours per charge when exercising (and nothing else). The true worst according to Apple is phone calls done through the watch, you only get 3 hours of that per charge. (All these times are for 38 mm watch)

When you say music, do you mean through the watch or iPhone?

Enjoying my changes in behavior:

- don't need to pull out the phone all that often, if something is important, I'll know it via the watch

- don't need the phone near me in the house. It can be anywhere. I'll know when there's a call.

'Glances' continues to impress me. It's basically the iphone notification pulldown, broken down into segments. You really need to pare it down to what you care about. I put the important things on the far right, I got rid of a lot of default noise, and anything that I don't care that much for goes to the left. I use ESPN app, Yahoo Weather, and Calendar the most via glances.

I can't tell a left from a right with turn by turn directions. I find myself 'cheating' by looking at the watch when I get the haptic response. The timing of each alert seemed perfect, but I have to look to see which direction I'm turning.

The more and more I use this and tailor things, the less intrusive it is. That's important as we use our phones WAY too much. Much like a yawn, pulling out the phone is contagious and once you do, you can go off into your own world and ignore the people around you. This magical device filters things well. Yes, I want more granularity for alerts, but what it does right now is pretty nice.

I know people are clamouring for custom watch faces, but what I'd quite like to be able to have custom complications on the watch faces. Replace the default weather with Dark Sky, add one which shows live public transport times etc. Hopefully that'll come further down the line.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We lucked out and won the dev lottery, so have a Watch which shipped today. Hopefully with us by the end of the week. Just in time as we have a Watch game redy to go but need hardware to test on before we submit.

After which I may have to field test it :)

Fox1304

We lucked out and won the dev lottery, so have a Watch which shipped today. Hopefully with us by the end of the week. Just in time as we have a Watch game redy to go but need hardware to test on before we submit.

Same here. Can't wait to experiment on this a bit.
The Xcode simulator is ridiculously bad ...

Any detailed running impressions/videos yet?
I'd imagine more than a few wore these in the London Marathon...

Also are Activity totals available, as in total miles ran in a month, total steps this year, etc..?

Lucky, I have a watch app live in the store and I didn't get the first email. So my game prototype will just stay in limbo...

Chittagong

Gold Member
My Apple Watch works really poorly in strength training. It loses the heart rate during squats, lunges and deadlifts, even if my strap is tight, displaying 60-70BPM for a while. When I am stationary it will find my heart rate again, usually 120-140BPM.

I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere, but is there a way to have notifications make sounds on your phone while wearing the watch? It seems like the notifications will either be on the watch OR the phone...not both.

So the green bar for exercise filled in on my commute to work.

How does the Watch determine if you're exercising?

I spend a great deal of time in the subway but I do jog up a long flight of stairs and have a short brisk walk. Nothing more than five minutes though.

An hour and a half of use and it's still at 100% on the 38mm.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any detailed running impressions/videos yet?
I'd imagine more than a few wore these in the London Marathon...

Also are Activity totals available, as in total miles ran in a month, total steps this year, etc..?

aren't there already tons of iphone apps that track steps/distance/calories etc? The iphone had step counting since iphone 5/5s?

I don't know what specifically the watch is bringing for the tracking other than heartrate and easier visibility.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Same here. Can't wait to experiment on this a bit.
The Xcode simulator is ridiculously bad ...

Yeah, our account manager was pretty much saying we shouldn't proceed towards a release without testing on real hardware.

To be honest, waiting the extra couple of weeks for hardware before submitting has given us the opportunity to polish the game a lot so we'll be coming out of the gate with a higher quality product. Hopefully, no issues arise between what we happily have running in the simulator and the actual device.

TxdoHawk

gKKvMGA.png

JArANRD.gif

jts

...hate me...
I'm both excited and afraid for native 3rd party apps.

Despite the poor performance of app extensions, they at least offload some (most?) of the processing cycles to the iPhone.

I can imagine native apps burning through the battery, with the bittersweet bonus of being more engaging and compelling - meaning you will use your watch even more on average.

So the green bar for exercise filled in on my commute to work.

How does the Watch determine if you're exercising?

I spend a great deal of time in the subway but I do jog up a long flight of stairs and have a short brisk walk. Nothing more than five minutes though.

An hour and a half of use and it's still at 100% on the 38mm.

Pretty sure its a combination of the accelerometer and heart rate. Or maybe just heart rate? It says a brisk walk is considered enough activity for the exercise to fill.

aren't there already tons of iphone apps that track steps/distance/calories etc? The iphone had step counting since iphone 5/5s?

I don't know what specifically the watch is bringing for the tracking other than heartrate and easier visibility.

Ahh I should've been more specific.
When asking about Activity totals I'm referring to the iPhone Activity app in conjunction with the Watch.
Wondering if the two are good enough to be able to drop all of the other types of apps you mention.
As far as I can tell though neither the watch nor phone app show grand totals for things like steps walked in a fortnight, miles ran in a month and so on. Seems like an odd omission...

btkadams

Ahh I should've been more specific.
When asking about Activity totals I'm referring to the iPhone Activity app in conjunction with the Watch.
Wondering if the two are good enough to be able to drop all of the other types of apps you mention.
As far as I can tell though neither the watch nor phone app show grand totals for things like steps walked in a fortnight, miles ran in a month and so on. Seems like an odd omission...
Can't you see this information in Apple's "Heath" app?

Ok, I just checked now and it seems to just show an average across the week, month, and year but not grand total, unless I'm missing something. Definitely strange!

jts

...hate me...
With the Apple Watch, I can see the mute switch on the iPhone being even more on the way out, just like it happened with the iPad.

Maybe not for the 6s (if there's such a phone) in order to recycle the design, but for the next models.

Non-Watch users should be able to put in on mute by turning the volume all the way down.

Fox1304

Yeah, our account manager was pretty much saying we shouldn't proceed towards a release without testing on real hardware.

To be honest, waiting the extra couple of weeks for hardware before submitting has given us the opportunity to polish the game a lot so we'll be coming out of the gate with a higher quality product. Hopefully, no issues arise between what we happily have running in the simulator and the actual device.

With the added delays in shipments, I think the "launch golden rush" has taken a bit of a hit, downloads will be much more spaced so it might be a good thing for you. Hope so :)

alvmew

I ordered on the 25th. I'm waiting until June, aren't I?

I ordered the sport with blue strap on the 26th, had my shipping updated yesterday to shipped in 2-3 weeks. Probably just depends on the model you order, since my original shipping estimate was June as well.

If exercise kills the battery because of continuous heart rate monitoring, maybe in the future there could be an option to not do that. Unless you're specifically doing cardio ranges, wouldn't it be enough to just estimate calories based on elapsed time and exercise type - at least once it has calibrated for you?

There is an option to make it not scan continuous and to only ping every so often

Voidance

I ordered the sport with blue strap on the 26th, had my shipping updated yesterday to shipped in 2-3 weeks. Probably just depends on the model you order, since my original shipping estimate was June as well.
I ordered the SS 42 mm Milanese loop model. Not sure how that stacks up to the other models in terms of demand and supply.

I'm in no real hurry, but I love getting new gadgets.

Top Bottom