• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

mrkgoo

Am I the only one who misses the favorites screen from watch OS 1&2? I understand the change to the dock, but why not still keep favorites as an app??

I literally NEVER used it. I seldom brought up favourites of people to interact with. I usually just opened a message thread and replied. Or used Siri.

It was perhaps the most useless feature for me and it had a dedicated hardware button.

If I had to make a call I just use my phone.

What did you actually use it for?

SaintR

Hey everyone. Looking to buy a new Apple Watch. Don't really need the GPS/swimming features of the Series 2. Right now Best Buy has a Series 0 42mm for $219 or I can buy the Series 1 42mm from Apple for $299.

What's say you guys, it looks like the specs are identical for 0 & 1 except for the dual core chip. Is the the dual core worth the extra money or is the original working great with Watch OS3?

Thanks!

Giolon

Has anyone had any luck just walking up to an Apple Store and buying a Series 2 watch? They're all completely sold out into October online.

Hey everyone. Looking to buy a new Apple Watch. Don't really need the GPS/swimming features of the Series 2. Right now Best Buy has a Series 0 42mm for $219 or I can buy the Series 1 42mm from Apple for $299.

What's say you guys, it looks like the specs are identical for 0 & 1 except for the dual core chip. Is the the dual core worth the extra money or is the original working great with Watch OS3?

Thanks!

Honestly I would recommend either

Buying a Series 1 watch, or buying a Series 0 stainless steel watch used for about $250-$300 on Craigslist

pbsapeer

Banned
Has anyone had any luck just walking up to an Apple Store and buying a Series 2 watch? They're all completely sold out into October online.
Erm I just keep checking the stock on the app and found on Monday everywhere in the U.K. had stock. They're currently OOS but managed to pick up one on Tuesday

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So do you guys find that with the watchOS3 and Series 2 watches out now, there has been an increase in demand for the smartwatch? Do you find more people are interested in the watch amongst your social circle and so on?

So do you guys find that with the watchOS3 and Series 2 watches out now, there has been an increase in demand for the smartwatch? Do you find more people are interested in the watch amongst your social circle and so on?

My girlfriend made fun of me for having one a few months ago and is now frothing at the mouth for one

My knock off M/L sports band for my 38mm came in today. Fits perfectly on the final hole on the band. That is two cheap bands that have worked perfectly for me. If anyone is looking for inexpensive bands, here are two that I got this past week and have no complaints yet:

Milanese loop.

Sport band

Both are by Top4cus, and have hilariously broken english on the boxes. But so far they are inexpensive and fit me perfectly. If you are being cheap/frugal like I am, then I would recommend these
Also, think I convinced a coworker to get a watch tonight. The mobile notifications and external music control was enough I think. I didn't even go into remote control of the camera on your phone. That might seal the deal.

Guys I'm having serious battery drain issues on my iPhone ever since pairing it with my Apple Watch series 2. I was wondering however, if I restore my iPhone from iCloud backup, will it retain all of my Apple Watch data? I don't want to lose everything I've put on there and have to start all over again...thanks!

jts

...hate me...
I had installed a beta profile to get the wOS 3 GM a week early. But I forgot to remove that profile so this morning I had an update notification. I don't want to be on beta software so I went ahead and removed the profile now, only to find out it's still showing that update for me (even after restarting the Watch app and the Watch itself).

Anything I can do about it rather than just wait it out? I hope it doesn't get itself installed automatically.

Given that my wife and I are trading in our old iPhones toward the Apple Watch, I'm trying to decide if I should try my luck driving 40 minutes to our closest Apple Store or if I should just wait until Best Buy gets them in stock, since the trade in credit is the same.

Guys I'm having serious battery drain issues on my iPhone ever since pairing it with my Apple Watch series 2. I was wondering however, if I restore my iPhone from iCloud backup, will it retain all of my Apple Watch data? I don't want to lose everything I've put on there and have to start all over again...thanks!

Unpair your apple watch 1st which will create a backup, then create a new icloud backup. Once you restore your phone from that icloud backup everything will come back

Got my watch in the mail yesterday and I like it so far, but it's really confusing. All this terminology, like what's a complication?

Also is there a way to see battery life?

Does the wrist-raise detection feel improved with the new models? I hate having to make artificial jerky moments to turn the display on sometimes.

Ambient80

Got my watch in the mail yesterday and I like it so far, but it's really confusing. All this terminology, like what's a complication?

Also is there a way to see battery life?
A complication is like adding the weather to your watch face, or a news alert thing. They're little additions to the watch face that gives you more information. Mine has battery life, an icon to start a workout, and a weather icon from Poncho telling me the current temperature. That's in addition to my watch face, which is the circular Activity face so I can see calories burned and such.

For people with multiple watch bands... how are you storing them? I kind of want something, but everything I've seen looks way too big and showy. I'm looking for something small and compact, and I don't care if I store bands on top of one another (at least for the rubber/leather ones). Something like a thinner and longer deck of cards, and not some giant display.

japtor

Anyone interested in an original/official 42mm space black link bracelet? Got space black last year when it only came with it but barely wore it.

Also looking into the black Milanese and wondering if was DLC coated, apparently is and can scratch the sapphire screens according to this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch...areful_apple_space_black_milanese_loop_seems/
Interesting... when I ran my marathon it was fine till the 16 mile mark, then my knees gave in as it was so steep up hill and the next 5/6 miles were a slog. The last few were my quickest and the last mile I flew. My legs just went so fast I felt like road runner haha.
I kinda want to do another one, but it's so much easier to get injuries and niggles above 15 miles so I agree with you the 13 miles are far better and less demanding. I'm going to try and get ready for the great north run next year :) I just do 5k ATM and the watch doesn't have encourage it!
It'll have to do with the path too, LA was pretty neat up until that later mark. Started off in downtown and you're running in the streets all over the place, but eventually went into a plain residential area with really long stretches of straight road, and I think there was a slight incline for most of it. I'm not sure how much of it was cause the scenery got boring or the run itself became harder, but the combination definitely sucked.

But the final stretch was cool, the final turn was to the street along the beach and was about a mile long, I basically sprinted most of it (while cramping up!) to beat my target time.

Anyone interested in an original/official 42mm space black link bracelet? Got space black last year when it only came with it but barely wore it.

Also looking into the black Milanese and wondering if was DLC coated, apparently is and can scratch the sapphire screens according to this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch...areful_apple_space_black_milanese_loop_seems/

It'll have to do with the path too, LA was pretty neat up until that later mark. Started off in downtown and you're running in the streets all over the place, but eventually went into a plain residential area with really long stretches of straight road, and I think there was a slight incline for most of it. I'm not sure how much of it was cause the scenery got boring or the run itself became harder, but the combination definitely sucked.

But the final stretch was cool, the final turn was to the street along the beach and was about a mile long, I basically sprinted most of it (while cramping up!) to beat my target time.

How much for the link band?

For people with multiple watch bands... how are you storing them? I kind of want something, but everything I've seen looks way too big and showy. I'm looking for something small and compact, and I don't care if I store bands on top of one another (at least for the rubber/leather ones). Something like a thinner and longer deck of cards, and not some giant display.
Just brainstorming, but could get a watch giftbox from Macy's or something. A small, long, flat box. Should hold a couple at least.

Right now I just have bands sitting on my bookcase downstairs. Just swap when I want to.

japtor

How much for the link band?
I was hoping for $250 (never said it'd be cheap...). Looking on eBay it looks like the watch and bracelet are being listed around $500 with some people trying to sell the link band by itself for $300-400. Course I don't have a case for the link band itself so I'd just use the whole watch case it came in.

I was hoping for $250 (never said it'd be cheap...). Looking on eBay it looks like the watch and bracelet are being listed around $500 with some people trying to sell the link band by itself for $300-400. Course I don't have a case for the link band itself so I'd just use the whole watch case it came in.

$250 and does that include shipping?

Honesty I might grab that from you

TUSR

Banned
Anyone using the 5s with the Series 2?

I have a decent amount of features on the 5s turned off, including Siri, to keep it moderately fast.

By turning these on and running a Series 2, I assume my battery on my phone won't hold up. Should I think about moving to the 7?

Looking to hear some feedback on performance with this combination.

samn

Anyone using the 5s with the Series 2?

I have a decent amount of features on the 5s turned off, including Siri, to keep it moderately fast.

By turning these on and running a Series 2, I assume my battery on my phone won't hold up. Should I think about moving to the 7?

Looking to hear some feedback on performance with this combination.

Why would turning off Siri help battery life or performance? don't understand the logic there at all. If you haven't invoked Siri by holding down the home button and speaking to it then it's not doing anything.

Any drain on your phone's battery could easily be counterweighted by the fact you won't be turning on your screen as often to check for or to respond to notifications.

Spyware

My delivery date was just changed from October 6 to this wednesday. I really look forward to it! I've never felt like I wanted a watch, especially not a smart one, until i ordered this. Now I've had plenty of moments where I go "If only I had my watch already!"

TUSR

Banned
Why would turning off Siri help battery life or performance? don't understand the logic there at all. If you haven't invoked Siri by holding down the home button and speaking to it then it's not doing anything.

Any drain on your phone's battery could easily be counterweighted by the fact you won't be turning on your screen as often to check for or to respond to notifications.
The low power M7 (?) chip runs the hey Siri functionality, so I do doubt it affects appreciable differences in battery life. One day I just turned it off and left it off.

I brought up the question about performance and general battery life because I read a few people were having issues with the 5/5S.

jts

...hate me...
There's only battery-powered "Hey Siri" from the 6s onwards, so yeah that will not consume you any battery :p

samn

The low power M7 (?) chip runs the hey Siri functionality, so I do doubt it affects appreciable differences in battery life. One day I just turned it off and left it off.

I brought up the question about performance and general battery life because I read a few people were having issues with the 5/5S.

There is no 'Hey Siri' function in the 5s.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does silent mode just mute sounds - doesn't mute notification via haptics? I'd previously turned the volume right down but I think I can still hear the notifications faintly (although that might be the noise from the Taptic Engine)

Every day I check my Apple order status.

Every day it's Processing.

pls bump me up apple

It's tragic. Seeing "Shipping in 3 to 5 weeks" and praying it's bumped up only for the daily disappointment. I've a 4S at the moment so at least it gives me time to buy a new phone, but anticipation for the Watch is killer.

Does silent mode just mute sounds - doesn't mute notification via haptics? I'd previously turned the volume right down but I think I can still hear the notifications faintly (although that might be the noise from the Taptic Engine)

Yes, you'll still get haptic vibrations. I run my watch in silent mode 24/7

It's like flipping the mute switch on your phone

Can't use a Watch with a 4S anyway, so get on that new phone.

Yeah I'm waiting until the last minute to try and upgrade to see if I can get a 7 (upgrade option would be for a 6S at the moment, so at least the watch delay makes it possible to wait it out even if I'd go for a 6S+Watch combo if it arrived today). The swimming features of it in particular make the wait so excruciating.

I've been reading that some people have had problems with their Series 1 watches' batteries draining very quickly down to single-digit battery after 12 hours of light use. Has anybody here with a Series 1 had any problems with the battery?

On a series 2 here with light use today and at 79% after 13 hours. Debating about charging it tonight or letting it ride and see how long it can last.

JDeluis

I've been reading that some people have had problems with their Series 1 watches' batteries draining very quickly down to single-digit battery after 12 hours of light use. Has anybody here with a Series 1 had any problems with the battery?

I have a series 1 and have not encountered that yet. I usually wear my watch from 8am till 2am and it gets down to 15-20%. Today Ive been wearing from 11am until now (10pm) and i'm at 49%.

I might start using Apple Maps app more since it works with the watch while using navigation in the car. As I'm driving, the watch will notify by pulse that I'm reaching a turn. Pretty cool!

pbsapeer

Banned
I have a series 1 and have not encountered that yet. I usually wear my watch from 8am till 2am and it gets down to 15-20%. Today Ive been wearing from 11am until now (10pm) and i'm at 49%.

I might start using Apple Maps app more since it works with the watch while using navigation in the car. As I'm driving, the watch will notify by pulse that I'm reaching a turn. Pretty cool!
Apple maps has that new feature showing you where you left your car. Unreal.

What do you guys think of aluminum gold with the silver (or black) milanese loop?

watch-sport-gold-3.jpg

I think it looks kind of goofy.

Unpair your apple watch 1st which will create a backup, then create a new icloud backup. Once you restore your phone from that icloud backup everything will come back

Thank you, friend.

For those that have had the Apple Watch for an extended period of time, Series 0 for example, have you noticed an increase in battery drain due to the fact that it's perpetually connected via Bluetooth to your iPhone?

Edit: does the Watch have to be tethered to the iPhone for me to be able to use Apple Pay? For example, when I go out for a run, I don't take my phone with me, so if I was to go to a store and use contactless (UK), would it work without the iPhone?

Top Bottom