• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

TUSR

Banned
So as I've mentioned and as you guys and gals have helped me with, I'm starting to think something might be wrong with my Series 1 watch. This afternoon it registered with me as having a heart rate in the 40s which feels entire wrong since it was 11 am, I was visiting someone in a hospital, and sort of soothingly rocking myself in their wheelchair; even when I sleep my heart rate doesn't get that low.

That, and I'm getting very weak haptic feedback. there is basically no change from medium to high, and priority is the only one i really feel.

I got this last friday. I didn't get AppleCare. how much time do i have to bring it in and see if they can replace it or something?
If you're worried about not being able to take it back, you shouldn't be.

Just take it in and if they have stock it should be an easy switch.

So as I've mentioned and as you guys and gals have helped me with, I'm starting to think something might be wrong with my Series 1 watch. This afternoon it registered with me as having a heart rate in the 40s which feels entire wrong since it was 11 am, I was visiting someone in a hospital, and sort of soothingly rocking myself in their wheelchair; even when I sleep my heart rate doesn't get that low.

That, and I'm getting very weak haptic feedback. there is basically no change from medium to high, and priority is the only one i really feel.

I got this last friday. I didn't get AppleCare. how much time do i have to bring it in and see if they can replace it or something?

14 days no questions asked if you bought it from Apple

The Genius Bar has to mail out all Watches, they can't do any repairs or swaps in-store. If you're in the 14 days save yourself a bunch of hassle and just retail swap it

mrkgoo

I don't get it....

On watchOS 2, activity was measured in Calories. My target was around 200.

On watchOS 3, they are using kJ. Fine. Says my target is now around 800.

But from converters 200 calories should be 0.8 kJ.

Where is my conversion going wrong? Was it not in calories before? Or was it in kCalories? I honestly can't remember.

I don't get it....

On watchOS 2, activity was measured in Calories. My target was around 200.

On watchOS 3, they are using kJ. Fine. Says my target is now around 800.

But from converters 200 calories should be 0.8 kJ.

Where is my conversion going wrong? Was it not in calories before? Or was it in kCalories? I honestly can't remember.

Everything should be measured in kC by default, even if it only says Calories. "Calories" and "calories" (with capitalization) are actually different, if I remember my high school science classes correctly

Edit: I was correct! 1 kC = Calorie. You can also change it by going to the Health app on your phone, going to Resting or Active Energy, and changing the unit back to kC

mrkgoo

Everything should be measured in kC by default, even if it only says Calories. "Calories" and "calories" (with capitalization) are actually different, if I remember my high school science classes correctly
Yeah now that you mention it I think you're right.

Mine watch is in kJ. Downs the matter to me I was just wondering the discrepancy. Who's idea was it to have different units by capitalisation lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My order went from Amsterdam (Good! that's like a two hour drive from me)
To Eindhoven (Aww yiss! That's only like an hour away!)
To fucking Brussels (No wait, where the fuck are you going? Why are you leaving the country!)

Tomorrow i'll be waiting all day for that delivery dude to show up, right? Also, I might be going a tiny bit insane refreshing that damn tracking page.

Picked up an original Apple Watch 42mm from Best Buy since they are on sale. My first Apple Watch. I've been in the dark this whole time since I didn't even consider it when they came out for the price they were asking.

And I truly said WOW when I opened it up. That packaging. Holy smokes.

Updating now.

mrkgoo

Edit: I was correct! 1 kC = Calorie. You can also change it by going to the Health app on your phone, going to Resting or Active Energy, and changing the unit back to kC

Yeah, I just looked it up.

Correction though, calorie = cal, Calorie = Cal. 1 Calorie = 1 kcal.

So I guess the previous default was Cal.

mrkgoo

Is it worth upgrading from series 0 to 1/2? Anyone done this? Thoughts?

Only if the new ones offer something you need, mostly the improved water-resistance and standalone GPS. (Or if you really want the ceramic edition).

I'm not sure the speed improvements in the processor are worth it at this stage...maybe when the next OS hits and it's a bigger hit on the series 0. But then you may as well buy the watch series 3 at that point, or a least these series will drop in price.

In my opinion, since eI don't really need the two main hardware upgrades, I'm sticking with my launch watch.

Only if the new ones offer something you need, mostly the improved water-resistance and standalone GPS. (Or if you really want the ceramic edition).

I'm not sure the speed improvements in the processor are worth it at this stage...maybe when the next OS hits and it's a bigger hit on the series 0. But then you may as well buy the watch series 3 at that point, or a least these series will drop in price.

In my opinion, since eI don't really need the two main hardware upgrades, I'm sticking with my launch watch.

I upgraded from a launch to a series 1 and I think the speed improvement is definitely worth it.

I wouldn't go all out and a get one of the premiums models assuming they'll release a redesign next year, but the experience of using the Watch is greatly improved by the speed upgrade.

mrkgoo

I upgraded from a launch to a series 1 and I think the speed improvement is definitely worth it.

I wouldn't go all out and a get one of the premiums models assuming they'll release a redesign next year, but the experience of using the Watch is greatly improved by the speed upgrade.

yeah, it will be a personal thing. I can;t afford to buy another watch just to speed things up, so I'll make do. I wasn't particularly upset with the speed. Sure it was a bit clunky at times, but it was still a worthwhile experience, and watchOS 2 has improved things.

Just a thing...I hate the new weather app. having to deep press to change rain/temp/condition is not as easy as just a swipe. Also the swipe now doesn't go to another screen/location as nicely. before it switched the entire screen, now just the numbers change. No doubt it's a change to reduce the memory usage and improve speed, so in that way it's nice, but a little less delightful, i guess.

yeah, it will be a personal thing. I can;t afford to buy another watch just to speed things up, so I'll make do. I wasn't particularly upset with the speed. Sure it was a bit clunky at times, but it was still a worthwhile experience, and watchOS 2 has improved things.

Just a thing...I hate the new weather app. having to deep press to change rain/temp/condition is not as easy as just a swipe. Also the swipe now doesn't go to another screen/location as nicely. before it switched the entire screen, now just the numbers change. No doubt it's a change to reduce the memory usage and improve speed, so in that way it's nice, but a little less delightful, i guess.

Yeah, I also don't want to get in the habit of buying an expensive Watch every time they release an update, although if they continue updating it so rarely it's less expensive than owning the latest iPhone or iPad or whatever.

But I got my first Watch at a pretty deep discount from Best Buy and was able to sell it for about 2/3 the price of the series 1.

Did my first outdoor walk with the watch to test the GPS. Love how it shows the route and where I walked faster and slower.
Was also nice not having to take anything with me but a house key.

SuperPac

Got my Series 2 stainless steel.

- The Digital Crown feels way smoother in operation over Series 0.
- Speed is really nice. A noticeable improvement.
- I noticed a new setting that I hadn't seen before - turning the crown to wake. Interesting. It's like waking it from a dim state so kinda useful for checking the time in a theater or other dark place.
- Didn't notice the small increase in thickness or weight.
- Restoring from backup it forgot to install some of my apps. Otherwise, smooth transition.

Setting up my new Watch now. Nylon strap is nice.

I love the nylons straps

- The Digital Crown feels way smoother in operation over Series 0.
- Speed is really nice. A noticeable improvement.
- I noticed a new setting that I hadn't seen before - turning the crown to wake. Interesting. It's like waking it from a dim state so kinda useful for checking the time in a theater or other dark place.
- Didn't notice the small increase in thickness or weight.
- Restoring from backup it forgot to install some of my apps. Otherwise, smooth transition.

What S0 watch did you move from? Did you get SS regular or space black?

SuperPac

What S0 watch did you move from? Did you get SS regular or space black?

The S0 was a regular SS 42 with a black sport band. The S2 is also a regular SS 42 with a white sport band. But my preferred band is the black woven nylon so I immediately switched it out.

Interesting, hadn't heard of that feature. Must be S2 only? I don't see that option on my S0 or whatever we're calling the original.

After a few hours with my S2 I have to say I could never go back to an S0. Even with WOS3 installed, the S0 now feels like it was operating in molasses compared to the S1/S2.

Thanks Gaf for confirming that S1 and S2 are the same speed. I'll cancel my S2 order that's in 3 weeks and pick up a S1 from the store tomorrow! Giving my S0 to my dad, he's pretty excited haha

pbsapeer

Banned
Running wth this thing is amazing.
Hook up my Bluetooth headphones, press run and off I go. Got a GPS signal after 5 seconds, based on the data, and tracked all the way home with speed. Absolutely amazing. Best gps watch ive had for sure. My Garmin was never as good as this and took AGES to locate a signal. Nice one apple. Now all I need is a nice dock :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hook up my Bluetooth headphones, press run and off I go. Got a GPS signal after 5 seconds, based on the data, and tracked all the way home with speed. Absolutely amazing. Best gps watch ive had for sure. My Garmin was never as good as this and took AGES to locate a signal. Nice one apple. Now all I need is a nice dock :)
Spigen or the Studio Neat material dock (is iphone and watch only)

I joined the club GAF

IMG_3896.jpg

Now off to get some bands off amazon. Recommend me some GAF

japtor

Only through the music app on the face, like a modular one in the middle. I don't know of a way to add "now playing" to the main face.
The music complication will show the name on long complications, besides the utility one in the middle there's the bottom space on some (most?) of the analog faces.
Now off to get some bands off amazon. Recommend me some GAF
Remember there's also adapter sets if you find some other watch bands you like. I think I got the Luvitt one (that looks like the Apple adapters) in black and put on a two piece NATO, a bit of a tight fit but it worked.

So I haven't used the GPS on my series 2 today and my battery is at 57%. So if you don't use the GPS feature you can probably squeeze almost 2 days of use out of the Watch now. Pretty impressive improvement from series 0 considering they only grew the size of it by 1mm.

So I haven't used the GPS on my series 2 today and my battery is at 57%. So if you don't use the GPS feature you can probably squeeze almost 2 days of use out of the Watch now. Pretty impressive improvement from series 0 considering they only grew the size of it by 1mm.

I think they said if you use GPS continuously it's like 5 hours of battery life

mrkgoo

I will always recommend the official Apple charging station. But it's definitely pricey.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Anybody taken their watch for a day long hike? Let's say you have the Outdoor Walk activity on the whole time during the walk, how long can the battery last?

I think they said if you use GPS continuously it's like 5 hours of battery life
Going to see how much GPS affects it this weekend when my wife and I do a charity walk. No idea how long it goes for, but expect the battery to go down fast.

Edit: two cheap bands I got off Amazon showed up today. The sports band is way too short and doesn't fit (on 38mm), and was hoping it would include a larger size as well like the Apple one does.

Also got a Milanese band. I am not sure how I feel about it. I absolutely love how adjustable it is, but not sure about how thin the band is. I like just a bit more thickness to my bands. I will give it a day before deciding.

But does anyone know any cheap sports bands that come with the longer bands other than Apple?

Animator

Hey isn't there a way to set reminders and track how much water you drink throughout the day on the iwatch? I can't seem to find it.

Is music a new complication?

Yes! Now we just wait for a Now Playing complication

Hey isn't there a way to set reminders and track how much water you drink throughout the day on the iwatch? I can't seem to find it.

Not natively but there's definitely apps that do it. Tons of them

Yes they designed it to last roughly a standard marathon. If all goes to plan I will be testing this out late next year.

One of these days I'll run a marathon. I'll probably die immediately following it

Maybe I should watch Run Fat Boy Run again for inspiration

Ah ok I thought it was native.
That is one thing my Fitbit burned into me. I have been very conscious of my water consumption daily since getting one, and still am since the Fitbit broke. My digestion and stomach issues seemed to have lessened since increasing my water intake.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I joined the club, and it's amazing. 42mm black aluminium.

CMB57Xd.jpg
[/IMG]
f9OwpVT.jpg
[/IMG]
ItYCLFQ.jpg
[/IMG]

I am totally in love with this thing. Sleek, fast, genuinely useful and just an overall joy to use. Looking to buy a few additional aftermarket bands in dark blue and stone grey.

One thing is killing me though, and that's a missing complication for 'now playing'. I'm a huge podcast fiend and the fact that the music complication doesn't work with them is annoying. Fortunately the now playing window docked is a good compromise , but I want to have it on my actual watch face. Get on it, Apple.

japtor

Anybody taken their watch for a day long hike? Let's say you have the Outdoor Walk activity on the whole time during the walk, how long can the battery last?
I'd guess five hours (if that's the rated time for a full run down) since the GPS is on for outdoor walking too I think.

If it's like the first one there should also be a power save option, which turns off the heart rate monitoring, completely I think. I used it when I was training for a marathon where the practice runs were getting long and killing the battery, and I don't think it took any readings at all, not even the regular 10 minute intervals. I wish there was some more compromise with that setting. Otherwise there's another future revision wish, continuous HR monitoring throughout the day.
One of these days I'll run a marathon. I'll probably die immediately following it

Maybe I should watch Run Fat Boy Run again for inspiration
Go for it! I ran LA this year as my first one* after never really being a runner at all my whole life, it was pretty cool. I signed up with a charity team and they had a training plan...which I didn't really follow except for Saturday runs with a group, but ended up ok, if slow (albeit faster than most of my friends). Run walk pacing (run x minutes, walk y minutes) helps massively if you can't run continuously, and makes long distances totally doable.

*Possibly my last one. Pretty sure I could do another one, it's just a matter of whether I want to go through the long training runs again in preparation...and the last few miles of the marathon itself. Like I felt great at the half marathon mark, and still felt fine at 18-20 miles. After that the course got really boring and it became a slog until the finishing stretch. I'm totally down for half marathons whenever, I'd probably be fine with a 3/4 marathon if that was a thing, but those last few miles are what make me question ever wanting to do a full again.

I will say one neat thing about the training, at one point I added the numbers up and noticed I broke 100 miles. That's nothing for a regular runner, but for someone that never ran it was pretty cool.

pbsapeer

Banned
*Possibly my last one. Pretty sure I could do another one, it's just a matter of whether I want to go through the long training runs again in preparation...and the last few miles of the marathon itself. Like I felt great at the half marathon mark, and still felt fine at 18-20 miles. After that the course got really boring and it became a slog until the finishing stretch. I'm totally down for half marathons whenever, I'd probably be fine with a 3/4 marathon if that was a thing, but those last few miles are what make me question ever wanting to do a full again.

I will say one neat thing about the training, at one point I added the numbers up and noticed I broke 100 miles. That's nothing for a regular runner, but for someone that never ran it was pretty cool.

Interesting... when I ran my marathon it was fine till the 16 mile mark, then my knees gave in as it was so steep up hill and the next 5/6 miles were a slog. The last few were my quickest and the last mile I flew. My legs just went so fast I felt like road runner haha.
I kinda want to do another one, but it's so much easier to get injuries and niggles above 15 miles so I agree with you the 13 miles are far better and less demanding. I'm going to try and get ready for the great north run next year :) I just do 5k ATM and the watch doesn't have encourage it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One thing is killing me though, and that's a missing complication for 'now playing'. I'm a huge podcast fiend and the fact that the music complication doesn't work with them is annoying. Fortunately the now playing window docked is a good compromise , but I want to have it on my actual watch face. Get on it, Apple.

Annoyingly it seems that in earlier watchOS3 builds it did used to show now playing, but they changed it to only Apple Music. Hopefully we'll get one soon for other apps

Top Bottom