• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Quonny

Where's my best bet if I want to try and go out and get a Watch this weekend?

Apple Store, at least for the Series 2.

Best Buy won't get theirs until the 28th and even then they're only getting a few models in (mine is only getting the grey, black, and black/green Nike one). Target has no date, but likely will be the 28th as well.

Series 1, though, no idea.

Tobor

This may sound obvious to most of you, but my favorite feature so far is that notifications are legitimately "smart".

The only smartwatch I had before this was an original Pebble, and it would ping every notification on the watch regardless of context.

With the Apple Watch, notifications stop if you take the watch off or have the phone open. This is a huge step up in usability.

Has anyone used third-party bands that are reliable?
The last thing I want is for the connectors to break and watch to fall and shatter.
I'm looking for a milanese, a leather and link bands.

All of this of course being way below Apple's asking price

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Has anyone used third-party bands that are reliable?
The last thing I want is for the connectors to break and watch to fall and shatter.
I'm looking for a milanese, a leather and link bands.

All of this of course being way below Apple's asking price

This is the one I bought. Mostly identical to the one at apple. It doesn't feel any less sturdy than a typical Milanese.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016JWO0HQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Apple Store, at least for the Series 2.

Best Buy won't get theirs until the 28th and even then they're only getting a few models in (mine is only getting the grey, black, and black/green Nike one). Target has no date, but likely will be the 28th as well.

Series 1, though, no idea.

I thought the Nike ones weren't out until the end of October.

If Best Buy will have them next week I might return my series 1 for a Nike, I really like the band they come with and since bands are usually $50, may as well pay the remaining $50 for the waterproofing and GPS.

Thanks - just bought the jedirect metal band - already have one from hoco but that JEDirect one looks like it has fine tuning in the clasp which I need (link removing is too loose or too tight)

Would like a good brown leather strap recommendation

I haven't messed with fine tuning the clasp yet. Taking two links out got it to the perfect size, but want to know how to fine tune just in case.

Annoyingly it seems that in earlier watchOS3 builds it did used to show now playing, but they changed it to only Apple Music. Hopefully we'll get one soon for other apps

Nah, there was never a Now Playing complication. There was a Now Playing glance, but glances are no longer a thing. If you dock the Now Playing app it's close enough

Quonny

I thought the Nike ones weren't out until the end of October.

If Best Buy will have them next week I might return my series 1 for a Nike, I really like the band they come with and since bands are usually $50, may as well pay the remaining $50 for the waterproofing and GPS.

The guy at the counter said they were getting the Nike ones with the others. They even had a display one under the glass alongside the two models I mentioned.

But he could be totally talking out of his ass.

This may sound obvious to most of you, but my favorite feature so far is that notifications are legitimately "smart".

The only smartwatch I had before this was an original Pebble, and it would ping every notification on the watch regardless of context.

With the Apple Watch, notifications stop if you take the watch off or have the phone open. This is a huge step up in usability.

It's great, *except* that when I set my phone down somewhere (but don't actively turn off the screen), I might miss a few notifications while the screen remains on (since my phone's out of sight but they aren't going to my watch yet).

As Apple gets better about raise-to-wake and also its opposite (knowing when you've set your phone down and aren't using it), I expect that problem to go away very smoothly, though.

pbsapeer

Banned
Put my phone on charge and left my Watch beside it and I picked my Watch up but it didn't show any notifications... I checked my phone and had 3 emails. Any reason for this? Was it because the phone was on charge?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Put my phone on charge and left my Watch beside it and I picked my Watch up but it didn't show any notifications... I checked my phone and had 3 emails. Any reason for this? Was it because the phone was on charge?

Do you have the passcode lock enabled? If so it's a safety feature.

Put the thing on your wrist and enter the passcode to begin receiving notifications again.

Weevilone

I'm totally useless with this thing so far.

My workouts are basic cardio, either outdoor walks or indoor cycling. Hoping to get my bike repaired soon so I can add outdoor cycling, but not today.

I headed out yesterday and told siri to start a workout (or similar). It started tracking calories and heart rate, and told me what I allegedly did at the end, but it didn't seem to track my path or anything (walk). It was also weird, trying to get me to name or catagorize the workout after the fact rather than before.

Walked again with the wife last night for an hour, but when I tried to do the same, it failed b/c it was waiting for me to set my target calorie goal, apparently. It failed to do anything.

How am I supposed to do this? Ideally I'd track basic path, calories, speed, heart rate, etc.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Not sure why I haven't figured this out.

pbsapeer

Banned

My workouts are basic cardio, either outdoor walks or indoor cycling. Hoping to get my bike repaired soon so I can add outdoor cycling, but not today.

I headed out yesterday and told siri to start a workout (or similar). It started tracking calories and heart rate, and told me what I allegedly did at the end, but it didn't seem to track my path or anything (walk). It was also weird, trying to get me to name or catagorize the workout after the fact rather than before.

Walked again with the wife last night for an hour, but when I tried to do the same, it failed b/c it was waiting for me to set my target calorie goal, apparently. It failed to do anything.

How am I supposed to do this? Ideally I'd track basic path, calories, speed, heart rate, etc.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Not sure why I haven't figured this out.
When I went for a run it asked for target things. I kept swiping till I got the option of something like "just run" where you don't set a goal. Hope that helps

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If you're walking - just walk. I don't bother starting a workout for outdoor walk and it tracks my distance etc fine

Just got an iPhone 7 this afternoon, and to pair my apple watch to it I need to reset the watch. Awesome. The settings didn't go over in the back up.

EDIT: At least it made a backup of the watch and settings on the iPhone backup. Now to wait for it to verify and pair again to see if it all transfers over.

EDIT: Lame. It did transfer settings, but all my activity data since 10am is gone. Oh, well.

I think if you tell Siri to start a workout but don't specify, she'all start an Other workout is genetic and has you catrgorize it afterwards. If you want her to track you with a map have her start an Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run specifically

And yes, you have to hit "start workout" for it to start counting. You'll get exercise credit if you're walking around, but if you want a map you'll have to start a dedicated workout through the app

Edit:

My new watch just arrived! 42mm Space Black! Going to pick up the black Milanese loop and black leather loop tomorow

Can I just say for a moment how amazing it is turning the digital crown to slowly turn on the watch face is? When I'm in a movie theater I can turn off wrist detection and if I need to check something I can turn my screen on in the softest, least intrusive way possible

mrkgoo

If you're walking - just walk. I don't bother starting a workout for outdoor walk and it tracks my distance etc fine

Why not use the workout? I find it tracks better (mostly because when I walk I'm with a baby stroller, and not swinging my arm as much as I would normally means it way undertricks), but you also get the map. I mean if it;s there why not?

mrkgoo

Time Travel is disabled by default in watchOS 3, you have to turn it on.

Yeah I though tit was completely gone at first. To be honest, wouldn't miss it, it was nearly useless. Although these days I found it could be useful to see upcoming forecast, but a tap of the weather icon tells me that anyway.

Time travel?

On watchOS 2, they introduced it. On the watch face, you invoke it by just turning the Digital Crown. you could go back and forward in time, and your complications would update accordingly. For example, if you had a temperature complication, and you fast forwarded to 2 hours in the future, the temperature would update for that time.

It was mostly a little fun toy more than anything.

Not sure if the astronomy face uses time travel to do it's planet alignment thing or not though.

edit: lol, damn you Zey

Lol, just noticed your activity rings update likewise.

triple edit: Just going to jot downs one impressions of watchOS3.

It's snappier, but more importantly I do feel like I have a ton of extra utility now. The TWO things missing from my previous watch experience were find my friends and reminders. both are here now, and I love them. I wish I could invoke siri to tell me where my wife is on my watch, but it tells me to go to the phone, despite the app being right there.

The dock is good. I do miss glances, and being able to swim to see them, but at least I use the damn side button now. The friends ring was useless because the watch wasn't primarily a communication portal. I think that's the main gist of this update - Apple now know what the watch is and what it isn't.

Alos scribble is a revelation, as is being able to dictate straight from first response. previous had to hit reply, then dictate.

And it has to be said, Mickey Mouse speaking the time is the best damn thing ever.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If enabled you can turn the Digital Crown on the watch face to go forward or backward in time. Complications update automatically so you can see what songs you listened to in the past or what weather is coming up depending on what's on your watch face
Or the calendar events, or to enjoy watching the animation transitions in Mickey/Minnie watchfaces :)

My favorite time travel application is seeing upcoming meetings. Really great feature of the Watch.

I really love how os3 lets you have multiple faces too so I can have a modular set up with Fantastical as the primary complication and another with music. And then Mickey or whatever.

BTW I can't believe they dropped the ball by failing to make the black-and-white Mickey either the old-school Steamboat Willie design or the one from the new shorts used in the sticker packs. Such an obvious oversight.

mrkgoo

My favorite time travel application is seeing upcoming meetings. Really great feature of the Watch.

I really love how os3 lets you have multiple faces too so I can have a modular set up with Fantastical as the primary complication and another with music. And then Mickey or whatever.

BTW I can't believe they dropped the ball by failing to make the black-and-white Mickey either the old-school Steamboat Willie design or the one from the new shorts used in the sticker packs. Such an obvious oversight.

Oh speaking of which...I meant to mention that I thought that swiping watch faces was a bit much at first. Like previously, you picked one, and it was your watch. you change if you feel like it. In that way, it was just different kinds of personalisation. I felt with watchOS 3 that it was too easy to slip into a different watch face.

but after playing with it, it's pretty neat. Like I have a dedicated activity watch face with a different set of workout related complications...and I just swipe over to go into "workout" mode.

BTails

Anyone have trouble syncing music to your watch? I created a Workout playlist (using Apple Music) yesterday, and tried syncing it overnight while my watch and phone were plugged in, but it only actually put 3 of the 20 songs on my Watch.

The Apple Watch app always says "pending sync", even when plugged in... I've tried restarting both my phone and watch, but it hasn't fixed itself.

Anyone have trouble syncing music to your watch? I created a Workout playlist (using Apple Music) yesterday, and tried syncing it overnight while my watch and phone were plugged in, but it only actually put 3 of the 20 songs on my Watch.

The Apple Watch app always says "pending sync", even when plugged in... I've tried restarting both my phone and watch, but it hasn't fixed itself.

Is the playlist downloaded on your phone?

Oh speaking of which...I meant to mention that I thought that swiping watch faces was a bit much at first. Like previously, you picked one, and it was your watch. you change if you feel like it. In that way, it was just different kinds of personalisation. I felt with watchOS 3 that it was too easy to slip into a different watch face.

but after playing with it, it's pretty neat. Like I have a dedicated activity watch face with a different set of workout related complications...and I just swipe over to go into "workout" mode.

I love having multiple Watch faces just a swipe away. I have one for day-to-day, one for driving, one for work, two minimalist faces, and a workout one. One of the most positive changes in OS3 imo

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why not use the workout? I find it tracks better (mostly because when I walk I'm with a baby stroller, and not swinging my arm as much as I would normally means it way undertricks), but you also get the map. I mean if it;s there why not?

It's just my morning and evening commute so it is helpful not to have a bother thing to think about :) if it didn't do it automatically I'd probably forget to set it often.

I'll try today and see how it compares to yesterday's results

mrkgoo

It's just my morning and evening commute so it is helpful not to have a bother thing to think about :) if it didn't do it automatically I'd probably forget to set it often.

I'll try today and see how it compares to yesterday's results

Oh for something like that I wouldn't. I used to walk 20 minutes from and to train for work. It registered pretty well.

I meant for an actual outdoor walk for like an hour or more.

//ARCANUM

Am I the only one who misses the favorites screen from watch OS 1&2? I understand the change to the dock, but why not still keep favorites as an app??

Hoo-doo

Banned
Developers need to get their asses into gear by creating more watch face complications.

They are so damn useful but there are few apps that really support the feature. What gives?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh for something like that I wouldn't. I used to walk 20 minutes from and to train for work. It registered pretty well.

I meant for an actual outdoor walk for like an hour or more.

Tried it this morning anyway :) I like how it gives you a buzz and a 'lap' time every km. I do almost exactly 10 minutes/km

Developers need to get their asses into gear by creating more watch face complications.

They are so damn useful but there are few apps that really support the feature. What gives?

My guess is they can't be bothered after the initial bump with app support on watch OS and then a drop off in interest. Maybe watchOS3 will reinvigorate them?

I'd like interactive complications that can do things and change state while staying on the watch face screen

mrkgoo

Probably because there's little return on adding it. Partially probably also an issue is the install base.

I wonder if you can charge an in-app purchase to watch stuff.

Top Bottom