• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

It might not be calculating distance based on gps but steps. Might help to recalibrate motion data.

Which would be crazy considering they have a full GLONASS gps chip inside the thing.

I think it only uses its own GPS if the iPhone is not available, as the battery life is quite short on the Watch when using GPS (although tbf that's also the case for the iPhone).

5 hours gps time isn't that bad. If it spends the first half of my run looking for my phone to use gps and fucking up my pace and distance as a result, that's bad design. There needs to be a toggle.

Aiii

So not worth it
Doubt that is how it works. It knows when your phone isn't there because it disconnects from Bluetooth the second it is gone.

This. It is a fitness device. If that aspect of it doesn't interest you,you are paying $400 to read notifications on your wrist and to control the music app.

For me, the fact that it pushes me to be more active is worth any amount of money for me. I have been walking and working out more since I got the watch. It reminds me to drink water, makes me push myself harder in the pool and gym and so on.

What do you use to remind you to drink water?

I'm debating between the Apple series 2 with a black sports band or black milanese band.

Any comments or reviews on these bands?

I got both. I only wear the sport band in general when I'm actually exercising because I don't find it comfortable for day-to-day use. I'm a big fan of the Milanese loop by contrast, love it a lot. But that one I find gets uncomfortable after a long day, so I use it mostly when I'm dressing up or on my time off. For daily work I wear the black nylon

Speaking of reminders, today I realized Siri on the Watch is convenient for adding stuff to grocery lists. I have a list in Reminders named "Grocery" and when I looked in my cupboard and saw a distinct lack of soy sauce, I said to my Watch "add soy sauce to my grocery list" and it added it no problem.

Speaking of reminders, today I realized Siri on the Watch is convenient for adding stuff to grocery lists. I have a list in Reminders named "Grocery" and so I was saying stuff to my Watch like "add soy sauce to my grocery list" and it added it no problem.
Ooooh. I am going to have to try this. I usually use Notes on my phone for grocery lists, but this sounds awesome. Thank you.

Ooooh. I am going to have to try this. I usually use Notes on my phone for grocery lists, but this sounds awesome. Thank you.

Because I tend to forget what I need at the store, I also have a separate geofenced reminder set up to alert me to look at my list when I arrive at my local grocery store. I don't think most people take advantage of geofencing, but it can be pretty handy. I just wish you could dial it in a bit more; I think the minimum geofence area has a radius of about 320 feet.

Because I tend to forget what I need at the store, I also have a separate geofenced reminder set up to alert me to look at my list when I arrive at my local grocery store. I don't think most people take advantage of geofencing, but it can be pretty handy. I just wish you could dial it in a bit more; I think the minimum geofence area has a radius of about 320 feet.

Doesn't geofencing keep the gps on the whole time? Or does it work using wifi instead? So if i go to meijer and auto connect to their wifi, it alerts me?

Doesn't geofencing keep the gps on the whole time? Or does it work using wifi instead? So if i go to meijer and auto connect to their wifi, it alerts me?

You mean on the phone or the Watch? I'm not sure about the Series 2, but the iPhone switches between difference accuracy levels of GPS depending on what you're doing. Driving directions will put it in the highest accuracy, but often it's just a low-accuracy GPS mode, or wi-fi triangulation if it can't get a GPS signal. I would assume the Series 2 works in a similar fashion.

edit: regarding geofencing specifically, it doesn't put the iPhone or Watch in a separate mode, I think the OS just looks at the list of geofences when location coordinates get updated to see if there's a match.

You mean on the phone or the Watch? I'm not sure about the Series 2, but the iPhone switches between difference accuracy levels of GPS depending on what you're doing. Driving directions will put it in the highest accuracy, but often it's just a low-accuracy GPS mode, or wi-fi triangulation if it can't get a GPS signal. I would assume the Series 2 works in a similar fashion.

edit: regarding geofencing specifically, it doesn't put the iPhone or Watch in a separate mode, I think the OS just looks at the list of geofences when location coordinates get updated to see if there's a match.

Hmmm. Might have to try that again then. The geofencing idea sounded awesome when I first got an iPhone years ago, but the way I read it was the GPS was always on and would kill the battery. If I could turn that on and not have a major detrimental effect on the battery, that would be cool.

Speaking of reminders, today I realized Siri on the Watch is convenient for adding stuff to grocery lists. I have a list in Reminders named "Grocery" and when I looked in my cupboard and saw a distinct lack of soy sauce, I said to my Watch "add soy sauce to my grocery list" and it added it no problem.

Definitely. Reminders on the watch now is great for grocery lists

Geofencing definitely doesn't keep GPS on all the time, it would be an almost unusable feature due to the battery drain

mrkgoo

Hmmm. Might have to try that again then. The geofencing idea sounded awesome when I first got an iPhone years ago, but the way I read it was the GPS was always on and would kill the battery. If I could turn that on and not have a major detrimental effect on the battery, that would be cool.

Definitely. Reminders on the watch now is great for grocery lists

Geofencing definitely doesn't keep GPS on all the time, it would be an almost unusable feature due to the battery drain

I have frequent locations turned on anyway, which pages GPS frequently to track all my movements (seriously, it used to know within minutes when I left work), so I assume having geofences wouldn't have any more impact than knowing my location at all times anyway.

I've been using a shopping list ever since Siri came out. It's wonderful. Something I've been meaning to set up, but haven't is to share my shopping list with my wife. So then when either of us go, we can just glance at what we need, and we can both add stuff.

I'm in the habit now of checking my shopping list when I'm at the market, so I don't forget stuff as much any more. Anytime I even THINK of something we need, "Hey Siri, add to my shopping list". Super convenient.

I used to have geofencing turned on for the lights in my home through the Phillips Hue app and now I do for the Home app. It's seriously fine

Sometimes I wonder how much battery life I really can get if I turned off background app refresh, frequent locations, etc. Then I realize I don't care and the Plus series has had abused battery from the start

I have frequent locations turned on anyway, which pages GPS frequently to track all my movements (seriously, it used to know within minutes when I left work), so I assume having geofences wouldn't have any more impact than knowing my location at all times anyway.

I've been using a shopping list ever since Siri came out. It's wonderful. Something I've been meaning to set up, but haven't is to share my shopping list with my wife. So then when either of us go, we can just glance at what we need, and we can both add stuff.

Yeah, I think frequent locations are just handled as geofences internally.

I just noticed that list sharing functionality tonight! I had no idea that was in there. Too bad I have no one to share my grocery list with. 😢

I'm in the habit now of checking my shopping list when I'm at the market, so I don't forget stuff as much any more. Anytime I even THINK of something we need, "Hey Siri, add to my shopping list". Super convenient.

I just went into my location services settings and realized that almost all the stuff was turned on anyways. I just hadn't enabled it in Reminders yet. Most apps I selected "only when in use" before, but the background stuff like compass calibration and whatnot was all turned on.

Just made a simple reminder on the phone to see if it notifies me when driving by the store tomorrow.

mrkgoo

I used to have geofencing turned on for the lights in my home through the Phillips Hue app and now I do for the Home app. It's seriously fine

Sometimes I wonder how much battery life I really can get if I turned off background app refresh, frequent locations, etc. Then I realize I don't care and the Plus series has had abused battery from the start

This is what a lot of it comes down to - your use-case. Turn stuff on that you use. Don't be afraid to burn through your battery if it gets you through normal use. Don't turn useful stuff off to chase having a ton of battery at the end of the day just to see that value be high.

At the moment, I'm home a lot, and when I do go out, I'm usually in a car and have my car charger. I have a lot of access to charging, so why not have everything I like to use on?

Shared Reminders lists, Calendars and Photo Galleries are SUPER useful! All great features.

Weirdly you could add Reminders via the Watch before the Watch had it's own Reminders app. So the functionality has always had always been there since day 1 but it took way over a year to get a Watch app that can actually view that data. Odd.

I just want to say that I still find the Motion face amazing.
I just wish there was an option to shuffle the flowers, butterflies and jellyfish all together instead of having to choose between them :(

j-wood

So I'm really thinking about getting one of these. I just got an iPhone 7 (my first iPhone, been android since day 1).

I had an android wear watch, but eventually kinda stopped using it. Just ran into random issues I didn't like (some lag, app crashing, not tracking right, w/e). Does the apple watch have the same issues?

Also, should I go series 1 or 2? I'm not a swimmer, so I would never wear it in a pool. The GPS seems nice, but I've heard it's not super accurate.

Blablurn

So I'm really thinking about getting one of these. I just got an iPhone 7 (my first iPhone, been android since day 1).

I had an android wear watch, but eventually kinda stopped using it. Just ran into random issues I didn't like (some lag, app crashing, not tracking right, w/e). Does the apple watch have the same issues?

Also, should I go series 1 or 2? I'm not a swimmer, so I would never wear it in a pool. The GPS seems nice, but I've heard it's not super accurate.

I bought a Series 1 model with my 7P. So far there was no aspect where I felt "damn, why dont I have gps?"

But i always have my iPhone with me anyway.

I had NO IDEA that you can download music to your watch so you can run/ workout and listen to music PHONE FREE. That to me is worth $400 bucks easily. I HATE having my phone attached to me when I run. I have tried arm bands, fanny packs, running shirts with a phone pocket, running pants with a phone pocket, holding my phone, etc....it all sucks! This is a game changer to me. I'm hitting up an apple store today to check these out.

I had NO IDEA that you can download music to your watch so you can run/ workout and listen to music PHONE FREE. That to me is worth $400 bucks easily. I HATE having my phone attached to me when I run. I have tried arm bands, fanny packs, running shirts with a phone pocket, running pants with a phone pocket, holding my phone, etc....it all sucks! This is a game changer to me. I'm hitting up an apple store today to check these out.

The day this works for podcasts without some weird workaround is the day I will be the happiest.

Animator

Waterminder, great app!

PSA: If anybody wants to get new sports bands DO NOT get the apple ones. The $8 apple watch sport band I ordered from amazon is literally the same feel and color as the $69 apple sport band. Apple is fucking people over big time with that pricing.

Actually the $8 amazon band is better than the apple because it has a couple more notches and is easier to fit on my wrist than the apple one.

Synless

I can't remember if I asked this. Since OS 3 my watch refuses to update the weather widget on my main display. I can look at weather when I click the icon... but it just shows dashes on my main display. What's the deal here? Nothing has changed, I've restarted my phone and watch numerous times. All location sharing is turned on and accesses to my watch. I can't figure this out.

mrkgoo

I can't remember if I asked this. Since OS 3 my watch refuses to update the weather widget on my main display. I can look at weather when I click the icon... but it just shows dashes on my main display. What's the deal here? Nothing has changed, I've restarted my phone and watch numerous times. All location sharing is turned on and accesses to my watch. I can't figure this out.

Does the weather app on the watch actually update with current temperatures? What about weather on the phone?

The screen was the first thing I noticed as an improvement over series 0, and I can't believe how much faster this thing is after being used to the lag of series 0 for 1.5 years.

TUSR

Banned
What did you order? I've read that most orders have been pushed forward significantly, being delivered weeks before the initially specified date.
42mm Space Grey Aluminium Series 2 Black Woven Nylon Strap

Ordered on the 20th of Sept. (Cancelled my original Sept 9th order of the 38mm)

My order was pushed up 3 weeks, got it today, have patience

This would be great, im in no dire need for the Watch. Just anticipation.

I am also on the 10 year waiting list.

Ordered about 10 days ago. Delivery estimated for October 24+.

Yeah mines Oct 25-Nov 1.

First day with geofencing on, but also used the watch a bit more than usual, and I am at 30% after 18 hours. Not too bad. A bit less than last week, where I went about 48 hours before needing to recharge, but I barely used it then.

Aiii

So not worth it
That feeling of utter defeat when you finish some work and miss standing up by 1 minute, feels bad man. Damn you Apple for inventing standing up.

jts

...hate me...
I shower with my "Series 0" plenty of times, have even swam with it :p

I avoid it sometimes though, because I don't like the moist feel between my wrist and watch.

mrkgoo

I shower with my "Series 0" plenty of times, have even swam with it :p

I avoid it sometimes though, because I don't like the moist feel between my wrist and watch.

Yeah, there were lots of reports of people swimming with it. I'm willing to bet it can't withstand that kid of abuse for very long though. Perhaps it even gets damaged even a few times.

I rinse mine off fairly regularly, and I know eventually it won't be a good thing to do...

Yeah, there were lots of reports of people swimming with it. I'm willing to bet it can't withstand that kid of abuse for very long though. Perhaps it even gets damaged even a few times.

I rinse mine off fairly regularly, and I know eventually it won't be a good thing to do...

I think Apple actually recommends that you rinse the series 0 if the crown is stuck so I'm sure it's not harming the device.

mrkgoo

I think Apple actually recommends that you rinse the series 0 if the crown is stuck so I'm sure it's not harming the device.

Yes I know, that knowledge base article is what gives me the confidence to do it.

However, the water proofing will wear out over time, I figure. Or if you get some grit into say the openings, you could destroy some seals.

I understand the actual electronics are sealed with some resin but you might also get water in places you don't want that can say stiffen the moving parts. We also have exceptionally hard water where I live and lime build up could be An issue with excessive rinsing.

btkadams

Isn't the original Apple Watch IPX7 rated? That would make it as waterproof as the new iPhone 7 (IP67) at least, which is continuously being advertised in rain.

I mean, it's probably still not a good idea to be fully submerging it in water for extended periods of time, but showering, rain, and rinsing should be no problem.

jts

...hate me...

By the time something goes wrong I'm probably on the Series 3 already :p

Isn't the original Apple Watch IPX7 rated? That would make it as waterproof as the new iPhone 7 (IP67) at least, which is continuously being advertised in rain.

I mean, it's probably still not a good idea to be fully submerging it in water for extended periods of time, but showering, rain, and rinsing should be no problem.
I think the original Watch wasn't submitted to any kind of waterproof rating, but yeah I'm pretty sure it would have come off well. Apple just wanted to dip their toes first (no pun intended), and the original Apple Watch, and, in a way, the iPhone 6s, were testbeds for the actual waterproof rated 2016 generation of devices. Classic Apple move.

edit: I stand corrected, it seems the Apple Watch OG is IPX7 rated, which still I think it was a conservative rating to go easy into waterproofing on their first attempt, and keep their backs safe.

Aiii

So not worth it
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000
Is my Apple Watch waterproof?
Your Apple Watch is water resistant, but not waterproof.* For example, you may wear and use your Apple Watch during exercise (exposure to sweat is OK), in the rain, and while washing your hands.

Can I go swimming or take a shower with my Apple Watch?
Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) are splash and water resistant, but submerging Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) isn't recommended.

Top Bottom