• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

j-wood

Loving the series 1 watch so far.

If i go out for a run without my phone, even though it doesn't have gps, it will still track my distance and stuff right? It just won't be like an exact route on a map.

I'm also trying to add one of my cards to the apple wallet app on the watch, so I can use apple pay there. Every card I click to add my phone just says "could not set up apple pay, an error occurred while trying to setup"

Whats the deal with that? Apple pay works fine on my phone. I've tried restarting both of them.

Loving the series 1 watch so far.

If i go out for a run without my phone, even though it doesn't have gps, it will still track my distance and stuff right? It just won't be like an exact route on a map.

I'm also trying to add one of my cards to the apple wallet app on the watch, so I can use apple pay there. Every card I click to add my phone just says "could not set up apple pay, an error occurred while trying to setup"

Whats the deal with that? Apple pay works fine on my phone. I've tried restarting both of them.

I've found adding cards to Apple pay on the Watch is really finicky, just gotta keep on trying and it will eventually work.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've decided to return my Series 2 today.

This still feels like a half-baked product. I love some of the ideas, but the implementation of just about everything feels really inelegant and finicky for an Apple product.

Hopefully, by Gen 4 or so, it will mature and reach that "just works" level of quality that people expect from premium Apple products.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ran out of battery for the first time today. Didn't charge overnight as I was on 60%. Did an open goal walk for an hour which I assume is checking heart rate constantly and the battery hit 3% when I'd finished.

I'd like a way to track my walks without hitting the battery so hard but also map the route. I don't care about the heart rate but don't know if I can turn that part off?

Ran out of battery for the first time today. Didn't charge overnight as I was on 60%. Did an open goal walk for an hour which I assume is checking heart rate constantly and the battery hit 3% when I'd finished.

I'd like a way to track my walks without hitting the battery so hard but also map the route. I don't care about the heart rate but don't know if I can turn that part off?

My Watch (iOS) > Workout > Power Saving Mode

"When this is on, the built-in heart rate sensor is disabled for walking and running workouts. This saves battery, but makes calorie burn calculations less accurate."

the watch is still meant to be charged every night

j-wood

So I've tried all day and cannot add an existing or new card to my Apple Watch via the Apple Watch app. What the fuck?

It just says an error occurred setting up Apple Pay. It works fine on my phone. This shit is frustrating.

I used my watch to pay for dinner tonight. I'm living in the future. I love this thing.

Use my watch with ApplePay at Meijer all the time. My wife is not a watch person, but even she digs the hell out of using a watch to pay for stuff.
Jimmy Johns here always seems thrown off when I used my phone to pay. I wonder how they will react when I use my watch next time.

I do love not having to dig my wallet or even my phone out to pay. Just double tap the button and hold my wrist near the screen, then feel the tap on my arm, and a moment later a receipt pops out of the register. It is like magic.

Tobor

Use my watch with ApplePay at Meijer all the time. My wife is not a watch person, but even she digs the hell out of using a watch to pay for stuff.
Jimmy Johns here always seems thrown off when I used my phone to pay. I wonder how they will react when I use my watch next time.

I do love not having to dig my wallet or even my phone out to pay. Just double tap the button and hold my wrist near the screen, then feel the tap on my arm, and a moment later a receipt pops out of the register. It is like magic.

Yeah, Apple Pay on the watch is next level. Not pulling your wallet out is cool, but pulling nothing out is even cooler! The lady at Wegmans was like "whaaatttt?" When I did it.

Sorry to j-wood who is having trouble getting Apple Pay set up. All I can say is keep trying. It's worth it.

j-wood

Is there anything I should try doing?

What happens if I uninstall and reinstall the Apple Watch app? Will I have to re setup the entire watch?

Is there anything I should try doing?

What happens if I uninstall and reinstall the Apple Watch app? Will I have to re setup the entire watch?

Most likely. When I switched phones and did a restore from backup, I still had to set up and pair the Apple Watch again, even if the backup had the pairing on it.

j-wood

Got it. I had to repair and reset up the watch. This time I didn't skip setting up a card during setup (even thought it said I could do it later) and this time it worked.

Now in the Apple Watch app it says "wallet and Apple Pay". It only said Waller before. Seems like a bug

Yeah, Apple Pay on the watch is next level. Not pulling your wallet out is cool, but pulling nothing out is even cooler! The lady at Wegmans was like "whaaatttt?" When I did it.

Sorry to j-wood who is having trouble getting Apple Pay set up. All I can say is keep trying. It's worth it.

Every time I buy something with my watch at the neighborhood Walgreens, I get an amazed comment from the cashier. It's never not cool to them, especially if I don't have to punch a PIN.

I don't use it that often; it's not as widely adopted as I'd like. But it's nice to have in case I leave my apartment without my wallet.

I will go out of my way to use Apple Pay if possible. It's just so nice and I want it to be more widely adopted

I haven't used it at Chick-Fil A yet. I usually just order through their mobile app, walk in, grab my bag of food, and leave. But tempted to try it one time there if I have time to actually wait in the ridiculous line that is always there.

alterego

Overheard at Apple Store by the Watch display area:

"Yeh, it's got a proper screen - you can watch videos on it and everything"...

Have you changed 2 step verification to 2 factor authentication? Check this guide
http://www.macrumors.com/how-to/macos-sierra-apple-watch-unlock/

for some reason I don't have that "disable automatic logic" option, maybe that's why I can't ever get it to work

autounlocksierra-800x650.jpg

j-wood

Will the series 1 watch accurately track my steps and distance, even though it doesn't have GPS built in, if I am away from my phone?

I know the s2 would be more accurate with GPS, but i'm hoping it just gets close enough.

Will the series 1 watch accurately track my steps and distance, even though it doesn't have GPS built in, if I am away from my phone?

I know the s2 would be more accurate with GPS, but i'm hoping it just gets close enough.

Should be better if you calibrate it first (go running for 20 minutes with your phone outside). I've been only doing treadmill runs and the distance isn't accurate because I've never calibrated this new watch. I should try and do that

j-wood

Should be better if you calibrate it first (go running for 20 minutes with your phone outside). I've been only doing treadmill runs and the distance isn't accurate because I've never calibrated this new watch. I should try and do that

Oh yep, i guess I do need to do that. I got prompted for that when i set indoor walk, and noticed when i finished the watch said i did 1.3 mil, the treadmill said 1 mile.

I was thinking that just meant for using the gps running.

I used my watch to pay for dinner tonight. I'm living in the future. I love this thing.

What restaurants use Apple Pay now? How does that even work, does the waiter bring an NFC tablet to the table? Or are you talking about fast food chains?

I love Apple Pay and use it wherever I possibly can, as much for the security protection as the convenience. But I really wish Apple Pay could send a digital signature so you wouldn't need to still sign at a terminal with a germ-ridden stylus or dirty iPad screen.

Oh yep, i guess I do need to do that. I got prompted for that when i set indoor walk, and noticed when i finished the watch said i did 1.3 mil, the treadmill said 1 mile.

I was thinking that just meant for using the gps running.

Nah, it needs it to sync the accelerometer movements to GPS data so that when you're not actually moving (like on a treadmill) it's a bit more accurate. Probably not completely accurate but mostly there. Watch series 0 said the same thing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What restaurants use Apple Pay now? How does that even work, does the waiter bring an NFC tablet to the table? Or are you talking about fast food chains?

I love Apple Pay and use it wherever I possibly can, as much for the security protection as the convenience. But I really wish Apple Pay could send a digital signature so you wouldn't need to still sign at a terminal with a germ-ridden stylus or dirty iPad screen.

The standard wireless card terminals in the UK usually have contactless these days. Although with a £30 limit it often isn't that useful for a restaurant

I turned off the old two factor, i turned on the new one on the phone. I signed into my iMac using it, I restarted my iMac, and I still don't have any options in the security preference panel for unlocking with the watch. What else might I try?

I turned off the old two factor, i turned on the new one on the phone. I signed into my iMac using it, I restarted my iMac, and I still don't have any options in the security preference panel for unlocking with the watch. What else might I try?

You for sure have an iMac that supports it?

hirokazu

Did you bring your phone with you for GPS? Last week I went on a 7km run with my sister, who also had an Apple Watch. I put my phone in an armband, she didn't bring hers. She ended with 80% battery left at the end while I still had 92%.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did you bring your phone with you for GPS? Last week I went on a 7km run with my sister, who also had an Apple Watch. I put my phone in an armband, she didn't bring hers. She ended with 80% battery left at the end while I still had 92%.

Yes, took my phone with me for GPS (and music). I only did the workout to get the route tracking as I'm experimenting with different routes so want to see the maps. I'm assuming the phone does most of the work in that case but the realtime heart monitoring is the real battery killer.

Quonny

You can just tell when someone is wearing a Series 2, you know? They have an aura about them that the Series 1 plebs don't have.

Series 1 is the smarter buy.

Aiii

So not worth it
You can just tell when someone is wearing a Series 2, you know? They have an aura about them that the Series 1 plebs don't have.

Series 0 is the smartest buy unless you really really can't bring your phone or are a swimmer, but that might be, what? 2% of users tops?

I read a study how Series 2 owners are just naturally more confident and successful in life, so I see what you mean

Quonny

Series 0 is the smartest buy unless you really really can't bring your phone or are a swimmer, but that might be, what? 2% of users tops?
Doesn't Series 1 have the faster processor? I think that alone makes it the smartest buy. $269 for a Series 1 vs ~$199 for a Series 0.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow! Best new feature of Series 2 watch: While the screen is off, you can turn the crown to gradually turn the screen on. How was this not reported all over the place? This is the most natural, and most discrete way to check the time on the watch now, when you don't want to signal to everyone sitting around you that you're doing so.

This make so much sense that it always made me disappointed that Series 0 never got this feature (and it still doesn't have it despite latest OS). It's definitely a hardware exclusive feature to Series 2. Actually, someone should check if Series 1 has it, I can only confirm that S0 doesn't have this.

hirokazu

Wow! Best new feature of Series 2 watch: While the screen is off, you can turn the crown to gradually turn the screen on. How was this not reported all over the place? This is the most natural, and most discrete way to check the time on the watch now, when you don't want to signal to everyone sitting around you that you're doing so.

This make so much sense that it always made me disappointed that Series 0 never got this feature (and it still doesn't have it despite latest OS). It's definitely a hardware exclusive feature to Series 2. Actually, someone should check if Series 1 has it, I can only confirm that S0 doesn't have this.
It's only available to the S2 master race.

Top Bottom