• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

japtor

I showered with my original for a while but eventually noticed my speaker being useless, got it exchanged with a few days left on my warranty. Everything else with it was fine but the speaker was super tinny at that point. If you rinse it off enough and get water in the speaker hole and test it out it's basically like that. I still rinse mine off after workouts but am a bit paranoid now and just try to blow the water out and test the speaker afterwards.

j-wood

So i'm thinking about getting the series 1. I don't swim, and if I run, I don't care about gps that much.

So I'm not missing out on anything right?

japtor

S2 has brighter screen and I think more battery (iirc it's the same when you take into account some GPS usage), and the fancier/more expensive material bodies.

What do you use to remind you to drink water?

I got both. I only wear the sport band in general when I'm actually exercising because I don't find it comfortable for day-to-day use. I'm a big fan of the Milanese loop by contrast, love it a lot. But that one I find gets uncomfortable after a long day, so I use it mostly when I'm dressing up or on my time off. For daily work I wear the black nylon

Do you believe you can wear the Milanese one while working out or is that not recommended?

Repairing the watch seems to have fixed my gps issues. Tracked a 4.75 mile run in the woods yesterday with really solid accuracy for trail running. Also, very impressed with the battery life. Went all day, then did my run, and still had 65% left at bedtime.

j-wood

S2 has brighter screen and I think more battery (iirc it's the same when you take into account some GPS usage), and the fancier/more expensive material bodies.

The brighter screen I could probably live without, unless the original screen is garbage?

Anyone that has the s2, are the better materials really worth it?

The brighter screen I could probably live without, unless the original screen is garbage?

Got my S2 yesterday, the screen is really amazing, seems like the screen is right up to the glass unlike the series 0 and the added brightness is welcome

with that said, I never had an issue with the series 0 screen, even in direct sunlight

mrkgoo

Got my S2 yesterday, the screen is really amazing, seems like the screen is right up to the glass unlike the series 0 and the added brightness is welcome

with that said, I never had an issue with the series 0 screen, even in direct sunlight

Did they actually change the screen? Aside from brightness

My current annoyance: my phone is generally speaking connected to something audio-related all the time. Be it headphones (wired or wireless) or my car stereo by Bluetooth. If someone calls me, my options to answer from the watch are: answer on the watch (inconvenient) or send the call to my phone, where I would then have to manually answer it. Is there really no way from the watch to answer the call on your phone so the call routes to the correct place automatically like it would if I was answering from my phone itself?

My current annoyance: my phone is generally speaking connected to something audio-related all the time. Be it headphones (wired or wireless) or my car stereo by Bluetooth. If someone calls me, my options to answer from the watch are: answer on the watch (inconvenient) or send the call to my phone, where I would then have to manually answer it. Is there really no way from the watch to answer the call on your phone so the call routes to the correct place automatically like it would if I was answering from my phone itself?

I had to read this a few times, but I think what you're asking for is basically a remote app for the iPhone's Phone app? No, there's not. Have you tried doing, "Hey Siri, answer/accept the call"? You'd need to allow "Hey Siri" from the iPhone lock screen, but that might work.

SuperPac

I am not sure what you mean by this but in a similar situation when in the car I answer on the device I want to take the call on and it works. My bluetooth car kit has a button to answer a call, which I use regularly. I could answer with my phone, which I do occasionally. I could answer with my watch, which I do rarely. There is no button on the watch to answer via my Bluetooth speaker, but is that necessary or would that just be UI clutter?

jts

...hate me...
I think the series 2 screen sits closer to the glass, but I'm not completely sure, maybe someone else can confirm it
The original Apple Watch definitely has a laminated display (fused to the glass). It isn't possible to get any closer, and you can tell by the great viewing angles. Now they may have got the glass thinner for Series 2, but I think it's more likely that the stronger brightness and consequent better visibility of the display makes the lamination look more apparent.

I had to read this a few times, but I think what you're asking for is basically a remote app for the iPhone's Phone app? No, there's not. Have you tried doing, "Hey Siri, answer/accept the call"? You'd need to allow "Hey Siri" from the iPhone lock screen, but that might work.

I am not sure what you mean by this but in a similar situation when in the car I answer on the device I want to take the call on and it works. My bluetooth car kit has a button to answer a call, which I use regularly. I could answer with my phone, which I do occasionally. I could answer with my watch, which I do rarely. There is no button on the watch to answer via my Bluetooth speaker, but is that necessary or would that just be UI clutter?

I know, I was trying to write it out in a way that made sense and it proved challenging. Essentially I want to answer a call on my phone, so that the phone is the one that picks it up, but to do it from the watch. This is advantageous to me because I generally have my phone hooked up to bluetooth so the call would be routed automatically, as if I had answered from my phone in the first place

Yes, my devices all have a way to pick up, but I just think it would be convenient to be able to answer from the device I'm already checking the caller ID on. Not a dealbreaker by any means

I know, I was trying to write it out in a way that made sense and it proved challenging. Essentially I want to answer a call on my phone, so that the phone is the one that picks it up, but to do it from the watch. This is advantageous to me because I generally have my phone hooked up to bluetooth so the call would be routed automatically, as if I had answered from my phone in the first place

Yes, my devices all have a way to pick up, but I just think it would be convenient to be able to answer from the device I'm already checking the caller ID on. Not a dealbreaker by any means

Right, you want a remote UI for the phone. Which I can see being convenient, but I imagine Apple is focused more on CarPlay for phone calls in the car, and EarPods (with the physical button to answer) everywhere else. I've never actually used the phone feature on the Watch; can you send the call to an iPhone with Handoff after you've already accepted it on the Watch?

Right, you want a remote UI for the phone. Which I can see being convenient, but I imagine Apple is focused more on CarPlay for phone calls in the car, and EarPods (with the physical button to answer) everywhere else. I've never actually used the phone feature on the Watch; can you send the call to an iPhone with Handoff after you've already accepted it on the Watch?

You can actually! It'll show up as a handoff thing in the bottom left of the phone's lock screen

japtor

Do you believe you can wear the Milanese one while working out or is that not recommended?
I've worn it while shooting basketball (but not in game), seemed fine but felt like I had to adjust it often to keep it tight. Never got loose enough that it didn't feel secure but just wanted it tight for HR readings. Still cause the relatively fluid nature of the band I'd still rather wear something with fixed points for working out.

Having not seen the S2 I think the original is generally fine, but would welcome extra brightness on some outside days.

Materials wise there's some differences in scratch resistance*...but honestly it mainly comes down to whether you like how whatever material looks, and if so how much is it worth to you. The price jumps add up, from S1 to S2, then aluminum to stainless/space black on top of that.

*Sapphire > glass
Space black > aluminum > stainless, but stainless scratches can be polished/buffed out unlike the others.

Kinda curious how ceramic compares to space black for that matter. In theory I think DLC might be harder but if it scratches there's the steel underneath, vs just more of the same material on the ceramic.
Same here, my Bluetooth stuff that can take calls have their own call/answer buttons, so I answer on what I want to take the call on.

The original Apple Watch definitely has a laminated display (fused to the glass). It isn't possible to get any closer, and you can tell by the great viewing angles. Now they may have got the glass thinner for Series 2, but I think it's more likely that the stronger brightness and consequent better visibility of the display makes the lamination look more apparent.

Maybe the glass is thinner because it definitely looks closer to the screen

hirokazu

I've had my watch either kernel panic or the UI frontend has crashed twice now in the five days I've had it. Display turns off, Apple logo appears. I hope this isn't a thing I'm going to see every 2-3 days.

Thanks you two! I don't have a problem paying $2 for a well-recommended app. Interface looks nice, I like the Apple Watch app and widget
It may be just me, but I don't get needing a reminder to drink water. Seems to me like your body is pretty good at telling you when you need to drink water and as long as you're not ignoring your body, you should be okay?

//ARCANUM

I posted this in the B/S/T thread, but figured I'd mention it here too. I might be getting a Nike Series 2, so I'd be selling my 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch with leather black classic buckle, Milanese loop, and Hermes knock off double tour bands. Anyone interested? Has AppleCare too.

Jeffrey

snagged a 42" sport last year model for $150 and its coming tomorrow.

What are some actual useful apps/ tweaks y'all use from day to day?

I still wish there were other options besides apple music or me getting music onto my phone with itunes to get music onto the apple watch, or I've not found anything for that...

pbsapeer

Banned
I've had my watch either kernel panic or the UI frontend has crashed twice now in the five days I've had it. Display turns off, Apple logo appears. I hope this isn't a thing I'm going to see every 2-3 days.
I posted this earlier in the thread. Same thing happened to me the first week I got it. Turned off twice in 2 days, not happened since (touch wood)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a good way to archive your runs? In my case its just walks but I'm trying out different routes at lunchtimes - roughly 3-5km and at the moment they're just in workouts, and I'm sending the route map to myself via email. But it'd be nice to have something a little easier to reference so I can look back at different routes, how long they took etc.

Is there a good way to archive your runs? In my case its just walks but I'm trying out different routes at lunchtimes - roughly 3-5km and at the moment they're just in workouts, and I'm sending the route map to myself via email. But it'd be nice to have something a little easier to reference so I can look back at different routes, how long they took etc.

After a workout you can save the workout

//ARCANUM

snagged a 42" sport last year model for $150 and its coming tomorrow.

What are some actual useful apps/ tweaks y'all use from day to day?

I still wish there were other options besides apple music or me getting music onto my phone with itunes to get music onto the apple watch, or I've not found anything for that...

42"???? That's enormous! :p

He's walking around listening to music with wired headphones connected to his phone. If he gets a call, he wants to be able to push a button on the Watch that accepts the call on the phone so that he's taking the call on the headphones without interacting with the phone.

That's what I'm getting anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Unlock with Apple Watch" has been a complete failure for me using a MacBook Pro and Series 2 Watch.

It works only some of the time. Even when it does work, it takes around 5 seconds to authenticate, which is longer than it would take to type my password. When it fails, which is often, I still have to wait 5 seconds for it to try before I get to type in my password.

Worse implementation than even first-gen Touch ID.

"Unlock with Apple Watch" has been a complete failure for me using a MacBook Pro and Series 2 Watch.

It works only some of the time. Even when it does work, it takes around 5 seconds to authenticate, which is longer than it would take to type my password. When it fails, which is often, I still have to wait 5 seconds for it to try before I get to type in my password.

Worse implementation than even first-gen Touch ID.

Haven't got it to work once, you're lucky

Spyware

Huh, my unlock with watch works perfectly. The first day I had to restart both the Mac and the Watch but after that it's been unlocking it in a second. :S (2015 MacBook)

Huh, my unlock with watch works perfectly. The first day I had to restart both the Mac and the Watch but after that it's been unlocking it in a second. :S (2015 MacBook)

Same and I have a 2015 MacBook as well. It's possibly dependent on the model and year of your computer. Mine works really quickly.

Quonny

Is there really no such thing as groups for this? I'd love to be able to join a group and compete against others with steps, calories, whatever.

Seems like a big missed opportunity.

hirokazu

Is there really no such thing as groups for this? I'd love to be able to join a group and compete against others with steps, calories, whatever.

Seems like a big missed opportunity.
Baby steps, LOL. I still can't even share my activity because I just get a spinning circle that spins forever next to the name.

j-wood

That's right, but you have an iPhone, don't you? Just use the charger for that, or any USB port.

Yeah but I mean...I charge my phone with that at night.

One other question. If I get a text message, does only the watch ring, and not the phone? I haven't heard my phone notification tones I don't think.

Is there a way to change the Apple Watch ringtone?

Yeah but I mean...I charge my phone with that at night.

One other question. If I get a text message, does only the watch ring, and not the phone? I haven't heard my phone notification tones I don't think.

Is there a way to change the Apple Watch ringtone?

Just buy a charger with multiple USB ports. I have one behind my bed that charges my and my wife's phones and watches. Think I paid like $20, you can get one for less if you only need 2 ports.

j-wood

Just buy a charger with multiple USB ports. I have one behind my bed that charges my and my wife's phones and watches. Think I paid like $20, you can get one for less if you only need 2 ports.

Yeah true. Do I need to worry about getting an official adapter? It was that way on android, 3rd party stuff was rolling the dice as far as voltages and stuff

I have so many adapters from over the years of getting iPhones and iPads that I have some in almost every room. Two right by the bed now. One for the phone, one for the watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's right, but you have an iPhone, don't you? Just use the charger for that, or any USB port.

Apple should really get round to making dual output USB chargers as accessories. One for iPad or iPhone quick charging, the other for slower charging and Apple Watch etc

japtor

Yeah true. Do I need to worry about getting an official adapter? It was that way on android, 3rd party stuff was rolling the dice as far as voltages and stuff
Should be fine. This dock/charger thing I got recently might fit the bill for you, depending what you want at least, posted about it here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019SO9EHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218738324&postcount=1170

Basically a combo four port charger and watch dock, one port inside for the watch (with space to coil up the cable) and three ports in front for other stuff. Looking around there's a few other similar options too, same concept basically though.

Top Bottom