• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Haribokart

Banned
So I left my phone at home by accident today. It is on the charging dock so it is on and connected to home wifi. How smart is the apple watch?

1) I'm at the office where my phone would normally be connected to wifi - will the watch automatically connect to that wifi? Doesn't need a web login - just a normal password.

2) If it connects, can I send messages via imessage and receive them?

3) If I try and send a message to my wife who has an android phone, will it be sent as an SMS? Eg will it route the message via my phone which will then send it as an SMS?

4) related to number 3 - if I receive a text, will it be routed to my watch from my phone?

5) Can I make/receive calls routed through my phone? Or do I need wifi calling for that? My network does support that but I don't think I have it enabled on my phone.

6) is it possible to take/make calls using a BT headset? I have my beatsX in my bag which is normally paired to my phone. but I haven't done any specific steps to pair to my watch - do I have to do something in the watch app first

1) Yep, you'll get texts, calls, emails etc

2) Yep

3) Yep

4) Yep

5) This should work fine

6) If your Beats X are synced to your phone they will automatically work with your watch too

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm getting emails too. This is great.

I'll sync an emergency playlist to my watch when I get home and have access to my phone and that should let me survive well as long as I have wifi.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Stupid bloody update. Notes on the install say the watch needs to be 50% charged, so I brought it into the living room to be close to wifi. But trying to update it complains it needs to be on a charger. That's a stupid restriction. My charger is in another room which has bad wifi coverage, and I don't want to have to leave my phone in there too. so it ends up being really difficult to update

Haribokart

Banned
Stupid bloody update. Notes on the install say the watch needs to be 50% charged, so I brought it into the living room to be close to wifi. But trying to update it complains it needs to be on a charger. That's a stupid restriction. My charger is in another room which has bad wifi coverage, and I don't want to have to leave my phone in there too. so it ends up being really difficult to update
You can unplug chargers from the wall and plug them in elsewhere, but it's irrelevant as the watch doesn't use WiFi to update - it uses Bluetooth from the iPhone.

Saya

My $10 ali express milanese loop Apple watch band arrived today. First impressions are pretty good. It looks great. I hope it will last and stay secure.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pollen woven band looks yummy, but the orange/blue might be even better.

Sapphire classic leather looks to just be renamed Ocean Blue that they had right before this update?
Of course they also changed the clasp design on these, and I'm not sure the change is for the better. Looks like this new design will just have more chance to bang into/scratch over the desk, and it will be more difficult to close as you have to loop the end of the strap under the other side of the clasp :\

I wish the nylon straps had options to make the connectors or buckles match the space grey aluminum case. I like a lot of them, but not matching my case is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

Side note: I was surprised how STIFF the nylon straps are IRL.

Holy shit, WatchOS updates take fucking forever. I gave myself 40-50 minutes to download and install before work this morning, and had no idea it would take THAT long.

It finished downloading, and my watch screen shut down, with the Apple logo and the slooooooowly filling circle being displayed, but I couldn't wait any longer and had to leave for work. Since my watch was connected to my WiFi network and still on the charger, I'm not at risk of bricking my watch for leaving with my phone as that white circle was filling, right?

Vuze

Holy shit, WatchOS updates take fucking forever. I gave myself 40-50 minutes to download and install before work this morning, and had no idea it would take THAT long.

It finished downloading, and my watch screen shut down, with the Apple logo and the slooooooowly filling circle being displayed, but I couldn't wait any longer and had to leave for work. Since my watch was connected to my WiFi network and still on the charger, I'm not at risk of bricking my watch for leaving with my phone as that white circle was filling, right?
I think at that point the update has been transfered to and verified by the Watch so you should be good. But yeah, the update process takes ages. I just did it while watching a movie while leaving phone and watch alone. It was eventually finished before I headed to bed lol

Yeah, the different colours are the same price if it's the same material, but the Space Black also has the additional scratch resistant black coating that the stainless steel silver one doesn't have, hence the higher price.

hmm thanks, I'll wait for series 3. I require black but $600 is too much for this!

japtor

Why is the space black watch $600?

Are the varying prices of series 2 watches just based on colors? Because that's weird.
Cause they can get away with charging $200 more for steel vs aluminum I guess. But yeah basically it's appearance, although there's different properties with each.

Plain steel will scratch easiest, but will probably evenly scratch up the whole body over time, or it can all just be buffed out. If the aluminum scratches you're just kinda boned there. The space black is DLC or "diamond like carbon" coated and extremely scratch resistant (only time I've scratched mine also scratched the sapphire)...but if it ever happens you're boned there too. Ceramic is similarly tough but scratches might not be as noticeable cause it'll be white through and through, and I vaguely recall some other special properties with ceramics.

And the case weights are all different, either ceramic or aluminum are lightest with steel the heaviest. Not a huge deal once you're used to one on your wrist I imagine, although for the original the aluminum ones had better haptic feedback than steel from some reviews. S2 is supposedly fine in this regard though.

(Edit: beaten. Took too long writing this!)

I think at that point the update has been transfered to and verified by the Watch so you should be good. But yeah, the update process takes ages. I just did it while watching a movie while leaving phone and watch alone. It was eventually finished before I headed to bed lol

Thanks! I actually got a notification in Manhattan (with my watch home in New Jersey) that my watch's software is now up to date. Is...is my phone still connected to my watch somehow?

That's..pretty amazing, and I can't believe I didn't realize it. So since it's on my home WiFi network, it pushed that notification to my phone then? Wild.

Yep. Let's say you're in a rush, you go to work, you forget your phone but bring your watch. If your phone had been connected to wifi with your watch there before, when you get to work your watch will automatically connect so you can still send and receive iMessages, emails, and SMS and phone calls if you have Wi-Fi calling turning on

My accounting teacher banned Apple Watches during exams for this very reason

I've had teachers say that any smart watch needs to be removed during exams as well.
i mainly want it for my calc 2 final in may, aint no body got time to remember like 40 fucking formulas man. i shouldn't be tested on remembering those shits, i should be tested on knowing how to use em and which one is more effective :( also none of my profs care if ppl have their apple watches on
Bad prople like you make lives worse for the rest of us.
i.don't.care. gotta do what you gotta do

Vuze

I've been debating on buying an apple watch... to cheat in class

i don't care if its unethical 🙃
Dunno man, I don't think 40 formulas are easy to subtly hide on the Watch. You could obviously just transfer photo(s) of the formula collection but that requires dialing the crown and moving around on the screen to get text readable. Or set up a bunch of watch faces with a note complication or something. In any way, it won't be a subtle glance lol

They aren't banned on my Uni yet but then again I've only seen one other student wearing one and cheating isn't a huge issue in most classes I attend, soo...

I am struggling with whether to buy an Apple Watch.

I haven't ever worn a watch but I am intrigued by the idea of a smart watch and it would be nice to get text notifications and the weather on my watch. Also I occasionally run in the summer, so it would be nice to not wear an armband/phone. I pretty much don't care about anything else besides notifications, weather and portable music.

I'm worried that it will look too bulky or feel too annoying on my wrist and be a waste of money.

Chorazin

I haven't ever worn a watch but I am intrigued by the idea of a smart watch and it would be nice to get text notifications and the weather on my watch. Also I occasionally run in the summer, so it would be nice to not wear an armband/phone. I pretty much don't care about anything else besides notifications, weather and portable music.

I'm worried that it will look too bulky or feel too annoying on my wrist and be a waste of money.

Doesn't feel bulky at all, it's a pretty slim watch. IMO go to the Apple Store and try one on! Wrist notifications are amazing. :-D

Be aware that to be totally phone free during running with GPS tracking you'll need the Series 2, which is a little more expensive, and a thicker watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doesn't feel bulky at all, it's a pretty slim watch. IMO go to the Apple Store and try one on! Wrist notifications are amazing. :-D

Be aware that to be totally phone free during running with GPS tracking you'll need the Series 2, which is a little more expensive, and a thicker watch.

But if just distance tracking or timing is enough then you don't need the GPS one.

I have grown to rely on wrist notifications while at work and when I recently forgot my phone at home and was still getting notifications at work was eye-opening. Sending an SMS to my wife was surprising as she had an android phone so no iMessage - so it must have forwarded it via the phone..

Shame the new OS still doesn't bring complications with play/pause/skip controls :/

yeah, go to the Apple Store and try one on.

Vuze

So how do you play music then? Can you shuffle a playlist?
There's a playback screen that's always accessible with play/pause, for/backward and volume. Works for anything that's playing on the phone. There's also an app for (Apple) Music but I use Spotify (which still lacks an app and the idiots over there pretty much shut down a great fan app that was scheduled for release in February) so I can't tell you what features are available there.

So how do you play music then? Can you shuffle a playlist?

There's definitely a music app and a now playing app, and a music complication (those are app shortcuts on the Watch faces). But there's no complications with controls on the face itself. They just launch the app where you can control from there

So controlling music is a two-step affair

There's definitely a music app and a now playing app, and a music complication (those are app shortcuts on the Watch faces). But there's no complications with controls on the face itself. They just launch the app where you can control from there

So controlling music is a two-step affair

I was so bummed that the modular face didn't have Overcast as an option for the main complication.

Top Bottom