• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Saya

Is there any way to lock the Apple Watch when wearing it? Did Apple remove this function in the latest update? I really don't get this decision.

Vuze

So I tried that "Hey Siri" raise hand command today and apparently I can't send messages via Telegram despite the app being installed on the Watch and the very same functionality being available and working on the phone.
Siri only tells me she didn't find an app called Telegram (and she's spelling it correctly too lol) on the Watch?!

Blackhead

Redarse
So I tried that "Hey Siri" raise hand command today and apparently I can't send messages via Telegram despite the app being installed on the Watch and the very same functionality being available and working on the phone.
Siri only tells me she didn't find an app called Telegram (and she's spelling it correctly too lol) on the Watch?!

Siri Third Party Integrated Commands are only available on iOS not watchOS

Vuze

You won't have to wait quite that long since Apple introduced SiriKit for Apple Watch in the WatchOS 3.2 beta.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-...with-theatre-mode-and-sirikit-for-developers/
Completely forgot about 3.2.
Theater mode will be great for sleeping with the Watch and SiriKit will solve the Telegram situation. I assume devs will have to issue a seperate update with explicit support for SiriKit on the Watch right? iPhone commands won't work just right away?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
As for SiriKit, Apple is limiting the types of apps on Apple Watch that can use Siri. The list according to the Apple developer site is:

Messaging
Payments
Ride booking
Workouts
Calling
Searching photos

What about homekit stuff? Does that already work? I have the first generation philips hue receiver which is not homekit compatible, but I've been planning on getting the homekit one so I can activate them with my watch... am I correct in reading that is/will not be possible? I've just been taking it as a given that it would work whenever I do make the upgrade.

What about homekit stuff? Does that already work? I have the first generation philips hue receiver which is not homekit compatible, but I've been planning on getting the homekit one so I can activate them with my watch... am I correct in reading that is/will not be possible? I've just been taking it as a given that it would work whenever I do make the upgrade.

HomeKit works, yes. I control my hue lights with Siri all the time

Which base band did you get?

And also, cheap knock offs on Amazon are your friend.

Got the black silicone strap. Went with the cheapest possible option.

I never thought I'd be happy with a smart watch. Today, I don't want to take it off! And the Siri commands... just WHOA... I'm living in the future! About to go to the gym with it for the first time!

The breathe activity is my favorite thus far.

Vuze

Got the black silicone strap. Went with the cheapest possible option.

I never thought I'd be happy with a smart watch. Today, I don't want to take it off! And the Siri commands... just WHOA... I'm living in the future! About to go to the gym with it for the first time!

The breathe activity is my favorite thus far.
Yeah, Breathe is great. Its "stress detection" is very much on point too.

Maybe I'm just not using it right. But my hour and 10 minutes in the gym, the watch only picked up about 22 minutes worth of exercise.

Also, how do you folks keep it clean?

Maybe I'm just not using it right. But my hour and 10 minutes in the gym, the watch only picked up about 22 minutes worth of exercise.

Also, how do you folks keep it clean?

Did you start an exercise manually? The automatic detection can be dodgy. Make sure to start one through the exercise app before doing anything. As far as cleaning goes, water is fine! Even the non-waterproof one is splash resistant

Marco has launched Overcast 3 with an new improved watchOS 3 app to boot.

I'll check it out but I'm fundamentally opposed to his ads/subscription business model

I like Overcast a lot but I did just send in some feedback about the confusing queue system in place

Did you start an exercise manually? The automatic detection can be dodgy. Make sure to start one through the exercise app before doing anything. As far as cleaning goes, water is fine! Even the non-waterproof one is splash resistant

I like Overcast a lot but I did just send in some feedback about the confusing queue system in place

I sent Marco a tweet because the queue seems to be broken for me.

The Overcast update is welcome for the Apple Watch, but man, is it throwing me off on my gestures and whatnot. I'm so used to swiping to delete and I don't like this tapping UI. I feel like I'm taking more times to do simple things like deleting and playing a podcast. Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now it feels like a bit of a step back in terms of navigation.

Question: Is there an app or any way to get a notification on my phone when my Apple Watch is fully charged? I sometimes forget to check if it is charged to put it back on during the day (I sleep with it so I don't want to charge overnight).

I sent Marco a tweet because the queue seems to be broken for me.

If you add a podcast to the queue, it literally creates a playlist called "Queue". If you're already playing from a playlist and add to the queue it adds the podcast to that playlist OR creates a new playlist called queue. It's convoluted as hell and so unnecessary

Playlists and Queue should act like iTunes, totally separate things

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting will check out the new overcast app.
Just promoted drafts to a better spot in my dock. You can really go crazy configuring the watchnif you want.

Also it seems like all new app updates forgo force touch. I feel like force touch is being systematically abandoned.

Phew have already gotten a crash! Seems like old overcast watch app.

Shearie

I know, I can't understand it. Even the shitty watchOS 1 app let you select a new podcast. New one doesn't seem to

I remember an old ATP episode where he said that the analytics he got from people using the old watch app was that either no one used it or the people who did barely used any of its features. He then decided that the watch app should be as barebones and simple as possible. I think he took away the wrong message from his data because I always wanted to use the features of the watch app (I actually wanted even more features), but it was sooooo slow and painful to use that I never bothered, and I feel that there are a lot of people that feel the way I do.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It doesn't have a Watch app but Pocketcasts is such a great podcast app. No nonsense like Overcast.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any rumours of new additions or an updated watch OS coming? I really just want direct music controls as complication options so I can play/pause/skip without having to get my phone out, and without having to navigate to the 'now playing' app. Also the option to have the digital crown be for volume control if I'm playing audio - I don't use time travel for anything so thats a wasted blind control for me.

If you add a podcast to the queue, it literally creates a playlist called "Queue". If you're already playing from a playlist and add to the queue it adds the podcast to that playlist OR creates a new playlist called queue. It's convoluted as hell and so unnecessary

Playlists and Queue should act like iTunes, totally separate things

Mine didn't even create a playlist called Queue. I had to do it myself to get the functionality to work properly.

It doesn't have a Watch app but Pocketcasts is such a great podcast app. No nonsense like Overcast.

I use Pocket Casts, just keep Overcast on my phone to mess around with it when it get major updates. Most of them have been solid, this one is a mess.

Vuze

What are some places to get nice, good quality leather bands (that ships to Canada)? I've found Nomad's leather band and the traditional build looks so damn nice but it's not in stock.

https://www.hellonomad.com/products/leather-strap
You could always get an adapter and shop for regular watch bands (20mm for 38mm Watch, 22/24mm for 42mm Watch). I haven't really found any compelling dedicated AW band shops either tbh. Big segment of the market just specializes on fake versions of the official bands.

I kinda like the classic buckle leather band personally but the stuff is so expensive. Hoping for a good sale.

---

Also nice site I saw on reddit today. http://mixyourwatch.com/

etta

my hard graphic balls
You could always get an adapter and shop for regular watch bands (20mm for 38mm Watch, 22/24mm for 42mm Watch). I haven't really found any compelling dedicated AW band shops either tbh. Big segment of the market just specializes on fake versions of the official bands.

I kinda like the classic buckle leather band personally but the stuff is so expensive. Hoping for a good sale.

---

Also nice site I saw on reddit today. http://mixyourwatch.com/
Hmmmm, guess I'll have to wait for them to restock the traditional build.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Quick question... if I were to lay my phone down somewhere and someone picks it up. Can they have access to text messages and photos??

Quick question... if I were to lay my phone down somewhere and someone picks it up. Can they have access to text messages and photos??

Lay your phone down or your watch down? This is the Watch thread

That being said always have a passcode on any device you own. Always. Because then the answer is "no they can't"

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Thanks for the info.... just making sure that I can keep my info private if people play with it. Like my texts and other private things.

Finally upgraded my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini to Sierra. Having Apple Watch unlock is such a minor thing to love, but damn do I love it. Just walk in the room with the Mini and it unlocks, or just open the top of the MacBook Pro and it unlocks. So damn convenient.

So I know I've posed this question in the past about seeing that a call is coming in on your watch and having it answer on your phone. Well it turns out this is possible. When you see on your watch that a call is coming in you can scroll down and there's literally a button that says "Answer Call on iPhone"

So that's cool 😎

Doodis

So I know I've posed this question in the past about seeing that a call is coming in on your watch and having it answer on your phone. Well it turns out this is possible. When you see on your watch that a call is coming in you can scroll down and there's literally a button that says "Answer Call on iPhone"

So that's cool 😎
Thanks for the info. I keep coming back to this thread just for things like this.

JJH

Anyone else having major battery drainage on their Apple Watch series 1? Also my exercise count has been totally off this week at the gym. Any suggestions what I could do?

Saya

I think I need a new band for my Apple Watch 2 (42mm aluminium). The white band is giving me a rash. I'm looking for something that can handle lots of sweat and working out since I wear it on runs and during exercises. Any recommendations (not too expensive)?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Just opened my series 2 and now I am trying to figure it all out. What are the definite must have apps? I have only used the social networks, Bmwconnected for my car, and United app. I am looking for other daily useful apps.

Also what does the keep in dock option mean? I just want to remove apps and it always makes me click keep in dock first. Maybe I am confused .

Chorazin

I think I need a new band for my Apple Watch 2 (42mm aluminium). The white band is giving me a rash. I'm looking for something that can handle lots of sweat and working out since I wear it on runs and during exercises. Any recommendations (not too expensive)?

I haven't had any issues with the knock-off Nike bands on Amazon during workouts, no matter how much I sweat.

Just opened my series 2 and now I am trying to figure it all out. What are the definite must have apps? I have only used the social networks, Bmwconnected for my car, and United app. I am looking for other daily useful apps.

Also what does the keep in dock option mean? I just want to remove apps and it always makes me click keep in dock first. Maybe I am confused .

The dock is where you keep your most used apps that you want refreshing in the background for up-to-date information

Vuze

Depends. I regularly use:
- Workflow (With actions to add reminders with scribble on the Watch, control my Raspberry Pi, quickly get a word translated)
- CALC Smart (picked this up when it was free; great for doing simple calcs, figuring out amounts for splitting or converting units)
- Recorder Pro (also picked this up when it was free, there is a free version though; good for voice memos, can save to either the Watch or iPhone as well as upload to the cloud)
- Waterminder (yup, also a freebie 😉 Atleast to me it's very useful since I tend to forget to regularly take in water when I'm working/gaming/focused in general. Also has a nice complication)

japtor

Could try contacting Apple, iirc they've replaced bands before with other options if the included one causes issues like that.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Thanks for your help.... also what are the best docking options for iPhone and watch on a nightstand. I saw a few cheap ones on amazon, but I think the Belkin might be the most durable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much music can be stored on the Apple Watch?

*sorry just saw it's up to 2gb. Not bad.

Still only iTunes that can store music on the phone? The weather was nice today so for my lunchtime walk it would have been nice not to have my heavy phone in my pocket but I don't use iTunes at all

Still only iTunes that can store music on the phone? The weather was nice today so for my lunchtime walk it would have been nice not to have my heavy phone in my pocket but I don't use iTunes at all

The music app, yes. There's some third party apps that let you sync podcasts to it but I don't know how they work nor have I tried them

It seems like such an obvious feature for watchOS4 to allow third party storage

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I left my phone at home by accident today. It is on the charging dock so it is on and connected to home wifi. How smart is the apple watch?

1) I'm at the office where my phone would normally be connected to wifi - will the watch automatically connect to that wifi? Doesn't need a web login - just a normal password.

2) If it connects, can I send messages via imessage and receive them?

3) If I try and send a message to my wife who has an android phone, will it be sent as an SMS? Eg will it route the message via my phone which will then send it as an SMS?

4) related to number 3 - if I receive a text, will it be routed to my watch from my phone?

5) Can I make/receive calls routed through my phone? Or do I need wifi calling for that? My network does support that but I don't think I have it enabled on my phone.

6) is it possible to take/make calls using a BT headset? I have my beatsX in my bag which is normally paired to my phone. but I haven't done any specific steps to pair to my watch - do I have to do something in the watch app first?

Edit: ooh seems to - just sent a test message to my wife and got the reply back on my phone. Thats cool.

Top Bottom