• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple Watch is way more confusing than Android Wear. It is like Apple and Google switched design philosophies. It's completely convoluted and lacks the elegant simplicity of Wear. Taptics, though, just as I predicted in the Apple Watch announcement thread, is crazy good. It is incredible. If Nintendo Switch has this kind of feedback, you'll be thrilled. Pops and twitches and buzzes. It all feels different. Messages come up like a Snapple bottle cap. Pop pop, but in and out feel. Very impressive.

hirokazu

The home screen needs to be a scrollable list like Android Wear 2.0.

I'm afraid to go there because I can't find anything (and most of the third party apps I have on there run like shit).

japtor

Just got a free Apple Watch. What now?
Use it or sell it.

Or use it for a while then keep it or sell it. I say a while just cause it can take some time while figuring out whatever nuances about how it's going to fit in your life, whether it's really basic use like just notifications or fitness stuff or random other uses you might find. Just get used to it. Some people test it out a bit more after that by going without it to see if they miss it at all.

Most of my uses (besides just notifications and time) are with some of the stock apps, while my primary third party use (by far) is just a two factor authentication app. One of the things I miss most without it is just silence. I leave the watch on silent, phone on silent w/vibration off, and rely entirely on the watch's haptic feedback. When I had the watch repaired a while back I had to turn that all back on and got quickly annoyed when some messages came in.

Vuze

One of the things I miss most without it is just silence. I leave the watch on silent, phone on silent w/vibration off, and rely entirely on the watch's haptic feedback. When I had the watch repaired a while back I had to turn that all back on and got quickly annoyed when some messages came in.
Yeah, I also love this already. The haptic feedback is so much more non-intrusive and less likely to overlook than phone vibration/sound.

Got

Banned
Use it or sell it.

Or use it for a while then keep it or sell it. I say a while just cause it can take some time while figuring out whatever nuances about how it's going to fit in your life, whether it's really basic use like just notifications or fitness stuff or random other uses you might find. Just get used to it. Some people test it out a bit more after that by going without it to see if they miss it at all.

Most of my uses (besides just notifications and time) are with some of the stock apps, while my primary third party use (by far) is just a two factor authentication app. One of the things I miss most without it is just silence. I leave the watch on silent, phone on silent w/vibration off, and rely entirely on the watch's haptic feedback. When I had the watch repaired a while back I had to turn that all back on and got quickly annoyed when some messages came in.

yeah digging the notifications and not having to grab my phone unless it's necessary. Any good leads on watch faces? stock ones are okay. i'm rocking Mickey (B&W of course) but would like some other options.

pbsapeer

Banned
Put my S2 on this morning and noticed the apple logo had come on. After about 20 minutes I noticed it was still on. Just done a hard reboot and it's now working.
Strange this happens. Don't think my iPhone does it as frequently as the Apple Watch.

Put my S2 on this morning and noticed the apple logo had come on. After about 20 minutes I noticed it was still on. Just done a hard reboot and it's now working.
Strange this happens. Don't think my iPhone does it as frequently as the Apple Watch.

Maybe bout once a week my S2 will crash to the Apple logo for no rhyme or reason. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, just seems like a natural thing to be honest. My girlfriend's does the same thing, as did a customer of mine. Seems to be just.... normal. I think it happened to Stephen Colbert on the air as well

Never had to manually hard reset mine, however

Vuze

Sounds weird, my S0 didn't do this at all (yet).

Btw, y'all should check out the Workflow app. I found it yesterday and it's amazing. Adds so much more functionality/comfort to the watch and phone.
Solved my "Scribble reminder on wrist" situation myself within a few minutes and it works flawless. Could delete my dedicated QR code reader app because you can wrap up a much quicker and space concious task to do that with the app. Can also deploy commands to my Raspi from my wrist now :D

pbsapeer

Banned
Maybe bout once a week my S2 will crash to the Apple logo for no rhyme or reason. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, just seems like a natural thing to be honest. My girlfriend's does the same thing, as did a customer of mine. Seems to be just.... normal. I think it happened to Stephen Colbert on the air as well

Never had to manually hard reset mine, however

Just happened again this afternoon. Didn't have to hard reset but it did switch off again and display the apple logo.

Really weird :S

Doodis

You should put apps in the the dock that you most want to launch instantly since docked apps are permently kept in memory.

So now that I know this feature exists (the dock in general), I really wish that when you swiped left on the home screen it would scroll between these apps instead of between different watch faces.

I mean, I can't imagine people are scrolling through different watch faces more than they are through the apps that are most commonly used. Am I wrong on this? Seems like a waste to not have those commonly used apps more accessible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So now that I know this feature exists (the dock in general), I really wish that when you swiped left on the home screen it would scroll between these apps instead of between different watch faces.

I mean, I can't imagine people are scrolling through different watch faces more than they are through the apps that are most commonly used. Am I wrong on this? Seems like a waste to not have those commonly used apps more accessible.
You're not wrong. Scrolling through different watch faces is dumb.

jts

...hate me...
I scroll through faces all the time. I go to the gym, swipe to the left and get a sports face with easy access to the activity app. I swipe to a face with seconds counting when I casually want to check seconds of something without launching a stopwatch (have a face with seconds right next to my main one). Etc etc.

Super useful.

I have quite a few different faces. Home, driving, work, sleeping, exercise, time lapse, and photo album. I actually do find scrolling through faces useful

mrkgoo

I guess the argument is whether a dedicated hardware button or a swipe is more accessible. And by accessible, not just ease of doing, but which would be considered as a higher "priority" and prominence.

I would consider the hardware button, while a little "harder" to do than a swipe is a front-most, high priority and prominence, and dedicated to app switching makes sense. As a primary feature with prominent active use, discoverability needs to be high, so the button makes sense.

Watch faces, being a sort of preferential or "mode-switching" does make sense to be in a "hidden" gesture. I thought I preferred it when it was force-push then swipe, but after having ti for just edge-to-edge swipe, it's kind of cool to just switch modes on the fly.

Bboy AJ

I scroll through faces all the time. I go to the gym, swipe to the left and get a sports face with easy access to the activity app. I swipe to a face with seconds counting when I casually want to check seconds of something without launching a stopwatch (have a face with seconds right next to my main one). Etc etc.

Super useful.
Interesting. Never thought of this approach.

jts

...hate me...
Interesting. Never thought of this approach.
I guess that unlike other more intuitive and effortless features from Apple it does require a bit more involvement to come up with a setup that can work out for each individual and sometimes doesn't feel worth it, and can even be more of an hassle than something else? I do see where you're coming from.

edit: although as pointed, the sports face switcheroo can be quite a strong use case for many Apple Watch users, if we consider that a good part of them were motivated to buy the watch with exercise/sports in mind as at least one of the factors.

But I mean I wouldn't even be surprised if it gets removed at some point anyway, in favor of something else. There's still a very strong experimental element to the Apple Watch, it feels like.

Vuze

I have quite a few different faces. Home, driving, work, sleeping, exercise, time lapse, and photo album. I actually do find scrolling through faces useful
Yeah same. Have a time/date/reminder/weather/alarm/WaterMinder one for general use as well as faces for activity (rings face with breath, heart rate and workout) and formal occasions (just a classic analog clock with date). As soon as the third party Spotify app launches I'll try to wrap up a music face too provided the complications allow for it. Have CALC, timer, workflow and telegram in the dock -- quick enough to access them when I need them.

japtor

I had some weird bouts of crashing after the last update, haven't run into it much since (like maybe once). Restarting the watch didn't seem to help, restarting both Watch and phone seemed to do it I think.
I guess that unlike other more intuitive and effortless features from Apple it does require a bit more involvement to come up with a setup that can work out for each individual and sometimes doesn't feel worth it, and can even be more of an hassle than something else? I do see where you're coming from.

edit: although as pointed, the sports face switcheroo can be quite a strong use case for many Apple Watch users, if we consider that a good part of them were motivated to buy the watch with exercise/sports in mind as at least one of the factors.

But I mean I wouldn't even be surprised if it gets removed at some point anyway, in favor of something else. There's still a very strong experimental element to the Apple Watch, it feels like.
Yeah that's why I think it's kind of hard to pin down general stuff on suggestions (like when people ask about apps/usage/etc), outside of basically just time and notifications it just really varies on individual and how you set it up. And yeah I could see things being juggled around a lot just like watchOS 2->3 cause it all still feels very nascent. Course the hardware itself is still pretty basic too, continued CPU/RAM (and battery) improvements will be nice.

Anyway as far as watch faces, I switch around a decent amount too. My main two are just the basic analog and Mickey, and to the sides of those I have a workout face, a modular one, and chrono for any time stuff. Basically different sets of complications for displaying stuff and/or acting as app launchers depending on usage.

Two Words

Why the hell don't any of the watch faces indicate AM/PM? It is especially annoying when you're using Time Travel. Using the military time option isn't a solution for me.

Bboy AJ

Because I don't want to see 21:00. I want to see 9:00 PM. Everything in my life works in that time system. Of course I'm going to want my watch to match it. How is giving an AM/PM option not the sensible thing to do?
Switch everything else over to 2400 time. Life will get better.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently feeling like not displaying imessage content cards is one of the most glaring holes in watchos. Do the new series 1/2 do this? My series zero will just deliver a grey "twitter" bubble with none of the juicy content I demand when linked.

I think the rich content imessage thumbnails only show up automatically for the sender on ios, but if you tap one as a recipient it will load. Not so on the watch. At least on my watch.

Also how is everybodys leather doing? Mine is kinda gross but worn in.

I was given $150 as a Christmas gift and Apple Watch Series 1 models are on sale at Target for $199. I'm tempted to get one.

Are people liking their Apple Watch? I'm debating if I should get a traditional watch over a smart/Apple watch. I don't own any smart watches yet. I have a couple of Citizens and some fashion watches.

I was given $150 as a Christmas gift and Apple Watch Series 1 models are on sale at Target for $199. I'm tempted to get one.

Are people liking their Apple Watch? I'm debating if I should get a traditional watch over a smart/Apple watch. I don't own any smart watches yet. I have a couple of Citizens and some fashion watches.

Think of it this way. It will only cost you $50 to see if you like it. Seems like a well priced experiment to see if you like the smart watch idea.

Better to spend $50 than $200-$400 for the baseline model.

And I am loving my Apple Watch 2. Not doing anything crazy with it, but getting silent notifications of texts, breaking news, etc. while working or at home is great, and the fitness tracking is a nice plus. And it feels like living in a sci fi world when I pay for groceries or take out with my watch.

pbsapeer

Banned
Think of it this way. It will only cost you $50 to see if you like it. Seems like a well priced experiment to see if you like the smart watch idea.

Better to spend $50 than $200-$400 for the baseline model.

And I am loving my Apple Watch 2. Not doing anything crazy with it, but getting silent notifications of texts, breaking news, etc. while working or at home is great, and the fitness tracking is a nice plus. And it feels like living in a sci fi world when I pay for groceries or take out with my watch.
Adding onto this it's also very cool just raising the watch to my mouth and saying "hey Siri, set a timer for 10minutes" and then my food is reminded to be removed from the oven.

Adding onto this it's also very cool just raising the watch to my mouth and saying "hey Siri, set a timer for 10minutes" and then my food is reminded to be removed from the oven.

Yeah, setting timers is great. Or alarms. Just tell it to set an alarm for 3:30, then go about my chores before being reminded to get ready for work. It is a huge convenience. Not life changing, but it is the little things you appreciate.

Doodis

Geez, I keep learning new ways to use the watch. I previously thought you could only activate siri by holding in the crown button. This is great.

Any good aftermarket bands? I would like to get a steel mesh type band but the Apple version is... excessively expensive! Also looking for suggestions for nato straps.

pbsapeer

Banned
Geez, I keep learning new ways to use the watch. I previously thought you could only activate siri by holding in the crown button. This is great.
Yep this is very handy. Pretty handy when I'm in the car too. Just raise it to my mouth and tell Siri to text someone. Really handy.

Vuze

I assume you need a "Hey Siri" compatible phone? Doesn't work on my 5S + Watch combo :(

japtor

Not sure if it's always there, but Macy's has a 15% coupon when you make an online account. I got some AirPods for about $24 off with it so it doesn't seem like Apple stuff is excluded. Not as good as big straight up sales, but that'll still save a decent chunk on a watch if the code works on them too.

So I ended up getting the Space Grey (Gray?) 38mm. Time to hunt for some bands.

Really love the way it looks and feels. Love the functionality too!

mrkgoo

When I first got the watch, Find my Friends was an app that was missing for me.

When they added it, I was ecstatic! But how come when I use Siri and ask "where is my wife?" It defaults to "go look on your phone"?

Bah.

Top Bottom