• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Has it ever worked properly though?

Well, I'm sort of new to the Fitbit community at about a month or so of use and, for me at least, it was working when I first got mine. Then two updates ago all the troubles began and they haven't said a whole lot.

They've got sort of a sketchy history with the android app, with bugs like using the barcode scanner for more than like 3 seconds causing a hard reboot lasting for FAR too long. It would just be kind of nice if they got around to fixing this since one of the great things about the app is it's tying into other apps.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Instagram on Android is horrible :(, I have the same problem as well as shit picture quality.

I usually focus on Photo mode and then switch to video, what phone do you have? Im on a Note 3.

I hate instagram as it requires you to use the app to view pictures, and also there is no way to save pictures posted. Blergh.

3phemeral

Finally. Unless I missed something, I was on a deadline and someone asked me to share a folder with them - could not for the life of me find an easy way to do it. I had to logon via Chrome, switch to Desktop mode, find and select the folder. Meanwhile, if you zoom to select a tiny checkbox, you can't scroll to the top for some reason while zoomed in, so you have to zoom back out and try to hit the tiny share icon, then input the info.

I can see the update actually has a share button.
[edit] Seems it may have been hidden under another option I never tapped on and just didn't notice it . :/

I posted this in the Gaming thread, but it's worth mentioning it here too:

Here's a quick heads-up, for only Friday and Saturday, Amazon Appstore is giving away a bunch of premium apps:
Link to the Promo page

"$100 worth of apps for free" promo:
- Plex
- Notepad+
- AccuWeather Premium
- Root Explorer
- Pho.to Lab PRO
- Informant 3
- Business Calendar
- Jump Desktop (RDP & VNC)
- EZ Money Manager
- MobiLearn Talking Phrasebook
- Splashtop Remote Desktop HD
- aCalendar+
- Travel Interpreter
- MyBackup Pro
- 2Do: Todo List

- Card Wars: Adventure Time
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- The Room Two (Kindle Tablet Edition)
- Doctor Panda's Bus Driver
- Wedding Dash Deluxe
- Ravensword: Shadowlands
- Sudoku 10'000 Plus
- CrossMe Premium
- Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
- CLARC
- Dungeon Village
- Pinball Deluxe Premium
- Loco Motors
- PUZZINGO Puzzles Pro Edition
- Real Shanghai Mahjong
- League of Heroes Premium

voodooray

Was just about to say the same. Its available in both the UK/US appstores so maybe its in all markets now. Check your app to see if you get the banner for it.Some great apps and games in this set.

roTVbTB.png

Hey gaf, made this if anyone wants to check it out

Around the world is a simple, elegant world clocks application for Android.

- 578 Time zones to choose from
- Widget
- Colors

Lite version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.worldclock

Pro version (no ads):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.worldclockpro

I've updated this with a few things because well clock apps are boring lol
Added a tools section with the following:
- Date calculator
- Days until
- Duration calculator
- Time converter
- Weekday calculator

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Most of the people I know with 2.3 phones don't even know what android is, probably have never downloaded an app.
This was my thinking entirely. I'm the dork everyone I know brings their phones to when they've got problems and the vast majority of them are using some ancient version of Android and they don't know what widgets are, they've got only vague notions of what an app is, and
They have no idea how to do shit like even set alarms and such.

Now, lord knows Android didn't make it easy back in the day but the majority of folks I know us the stock apps that came with their phones and don't even bother wondering what else it's capable of.

Purely and truthfully anecdotal, I know, but most people don't use their smart phone for anything a dumb phone couldn't do pretty well except for games. They'll go on their app ecosystem for games and that's about it.

Hell most Android phones I see still have the wallpaper that came with them.

Bear in mind I'm dealing with Luddites and the elderly.

Noema

Hey guys,

I'm a long time iOS user who just got his first Android device, namely a Moto G.

One of my favorite iOS apps is MxTube. It's a YouTube player that can also download videos for offline watching. What I like about the app is that it's not only pretty lightweight, but it also has a very clean UI and it can be configured so it downloads videos at a preset resolution. I have a long commute and I like to catch up on my videos on the bus and subway and this app makes it possible without going over my data cap.

AFAIK there are no apps that can download YouTube videos for offline watching on the Play Store. Browsing the Amazon App Store I've found some, but none of them are very good so far. The biggest problem is that I haven't found an app that can let me specify the size of the downloaded videos. I'd like to go with 360p if possible, but all the apps I've tried automatically download at 720p and there's no option to change it.

Does anyone know of an app that fulfills my requirements?

TLDR:

-Can download YouTube videos to watch offline
-Allows me to specify video size, not just 720p
-Can play audio in the background, even if the phone is locked, since most of what I watch is conferences and talks
-Has a non-hideous UI (Bonus)

Thanks in advance :)

terrier

Hey guys,

I'm a long time iOS user who just got his first Android device, namely a Moto G.

One of my favorite iOS apps is MxTube. It's a YouTube player that can also download videos for offline watching. What I like about the app is that it's not only pretty lightweight, but it also has a very clean UI and it can be configured so it downloads videos at a preset resolution. I have a long commute and I like to catch up on my videos on the bus and subway and this app makes it possible without going over my data cap.

AFAIK there are no apps that can download YouTube videos for offline watching on the Play Store. Browsing the Amazon App Store I've found some, but none of them are very good so far. The biggest problem is that I haven't found an app that can let me specify the size of the downloaded videos. I'd like to go with 360p if possible, but all the apps I've tried automatically download at 720p and there's no option to change it.

TLDR:

-Can play audio in the background, even if the phone is locked, since most of what I watch is conferences and talks

I used to use an app called Videoder, but i think it is not on playstore anymore.

Btw, anyone know an app to scan your music library and rename songs? Walkman music player kinda does it but it is not very effective.

Noema

I used to use an app called Videoder, but i think it is not on playstore anymore.

It's not on the PlayStore anymore, but I found it in the Amazon App store. It's pretty good and very close to what I'm looking for. The only thing it's missing is the ability to log into my YouTube account since I use my watch later Playlist to keep track of the videos that I want to download next (unless I'm missing something).

Other than that it works great. Thanks!

Salsa

I have a weird question

I have a custom rom and im running a Boeffla kernel

does installing and using Xposed and the Wanam Xposed app interfere with the boeffla settings at all? like does it override it or something? or should I still use both

thenexus6

Looking for an battery manager app. I have downloaded a few to try but most don't have the features i'm looking after or are ugly or have annoying features.

- Look nice
- Have option to have ignored app that aren't shut down
- Clean device every time when I unlock the device
- Have a home screen widget for quick clean
- Settings I can make so at night it shuts down certain apps or processes to save battery.

Can be free or paid!

XDDX

Looking for an battery manager app. I have downloaded a few to try but most don't have the features i'm looking after or are ugly or have annoying features.

- Look nice
- Have option to have ignored app that aren't shut down
- Clean device every time when I unlock the device
- Have a home screen widget for quick clean
- Settings I can make so at night it shuts down certain apps or processes to save battery.

Can be free or paid!
Greenify is what you need.

thenexus6

I downloaded CM browser a few weeks ago, had a little look but never used it. Was playing around earlier today and wow its very nice. Visually the nicest browser i've used. I might start using as my default.

Alpende

Hey fellow gaffers, updated a couple of my apps today...

Convert Everything:
- Time zones now has the option of setting from/to city
- Per request automotive/tire diameter
- Time/week number. Enter the week number of a given year and get the start date
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.converteverything

Around the World
- Week number calculator
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.worldclock

Sweet, I'm going to try it now.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any rss reader app with push notifications?

I downloaded CM browser a few weeks ago, had a little look but never used it. Was playing around earlier today and wow its very nice. Visually the nicest browser i've used. I might start using as my default.

Post the play store link?

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

TLDR:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2137743

Cross post from the Android thread

Submarino Conversível;121187575 said:
What's the best lightweight browser today?

Chrome is terrible on the Moto G, uses too much RAM and I get constant launcher redraws. I was used to having 2GB on the N4, having only 1 now really sucks.

I installed Boat Browser to see how it handles. Dolphin was an alternative but since the last redesign and the privacy issues I won't be using it anymore.

EDIT:

Is Talon still the best Twitter client?

liquidtmd

Banned
Probably the wrong thread for this but hoping for some thoughts and help I've got with Android / Xperia keyboards....

When typing text on something like GAF on mobile, my backspace just refuses to delete words. Instead when I go to backspace / delete words it just duplicates the word thats gone before it. Its driving me mad. It must be a setting issue but I've got predicitive text turned off as I don't like it and I can't find anything else that corresponds to it.

This has happened now with Xperia, Google and the GO keyboard options / app. Does anyone vaguely know what I'm talking about? A quick google search didn't show up what I was after.

Groof

Submarino Conversível;121193503 said:
Cross post from the Android thread

I've been trying out CM Browser over the past couple of days and it certainly is fast and light. Even has a pretty well-implemented fullscreen mode.

As for Talon, I would say that it is among the best. Some people think Fenix is a better client though. My vote goes to Talon, even though it oftentimes prioritises animations before speed.

Accoun

This has happened now with Xperia, Google and the GO keyboard options / app. Does anyone vaguely know what I'm talking about? A quick google search didn't show up what I was after.

Yeah, had that sometimes as well (SwiftKey). Not sure what causes it, though. And don't really have any answer for that, except to wait through it.

I've been trying out CM Browser over the past couple of days and it certainly is fast and light. Even has a pretty well-implemented fullscreen mode.

As for Talon, I would say that it is among the best. Some people think Fenix is a better client though. My vote goes to Talon, even though it oftentimes prioritises animations before speed.

Same here. Very impressed.

Merguson

Banned
Is anyone encountering a glitch with the Google Opinions Reward app?

Today, I keep getting the same survey that won't go away. It's the survey about your choice of College/University (in Canada).

I've answered it several times and have managed to get several dollars out of it. Survey is still available.

Top Bottom