• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

EGM92

How does DropBox compare to Box.net? DropBox seems more popular but Box is giving me 50 GB of space since I have a Sony Ericsson phone.

Dropbox is easy to access on all platforms including PC, the software is just a folder on your PC that syncs to the cloud. I have a bunch of Box.net accounts, and you don't need a specific phone to get the account, just a rooted android device, a root explorer and a little knowledge on how to edit a single line in your build.prop file. I have an Atrix that I used to sign up for 5x 50GB accounts.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
This thread bump reminds me, I really need to root my HTC Aria. Can't handle the phone constantly maxing out on space everytime an app wants to update and stopping my push notifications from coming through. Gotta move dem apps to my SD card.

How does DropBox compare to Box.net? DropBox seems more popular but Box is giving me 50 GB of space since I have a Sony Ericsson phone.

Dropbox is more useful for syncing. I'll still use Live Mesh for my documents and other important stuff since I prefer how it handles folders, but I might get it so I can finally use that feature on Titanium Backup Pro. My phone is long overdue for a flashing.

onlywei

Neo Member
Anybody have any recommendations for keyboards that can type Asian languages?

Ideally I'd want one keyboard app that can type Chinese, Japanese, AND Korean. But if no such super KB app exists I'd be interested to hear opinions on which KB app is best for each of those individual languages.

MrBig

Anybody have any recommendations for keyboards that can type Asian languages?

Ideally I'd want one keyboard app that can type Chinese, Japanese, AND Korean. But if no such super KB app exists I'd be interested to hear opinions on which KB app is best for each of those individual languages.

Flext9
came pre-installed on my tablet and had a lot of difference languages to choose from in the settings. I know that at least it has Chinese because I enabled it in the settings and then couldn't get it to stop appearing in the keyboad list, so I uninstalled it as I prefer split keyboards.

I'll restore and check it in a bit and see what languages it has so you don't have to waste money.

e: doesn't appear to have Japanese or Korean.

Anyone have any good recommendation for a radio app that works in Canada? I don't mean radio stations, I mean an app that'll pick similar music based what you're currently listening to, or the first piece of music you picked. I've been using Grooveshark but the damn thing hasn't worked for the past couple of days.

mubz

Banned
Anyone have any good recommendation for a radio app that works in Canada? I don't mean radio stations, I mean an app that'll pick similar music based what you're currently listening to, or the first piece of music you picked. I've been using Grooveshark but the damn thing hasn't worked for the past couple of days.

Tune-In radio from the op is a great one

Ocho

Pocket casts is a startlingly shitty podcast app. The widget basically never works properly.

The widget used to work without a hitch before the last couple of 'ICS'-related updates they released. The app still works perfectly fine, tho.

SimleuqiR

Wow, amazing. Gonna update the OP soon, big batch of awesome new apps to add.

Yup. Unfortunately I think this will be bundle via OEMs. Wouldn't mind if Google would buy the tech right off or license it to be used in the Android Camera app.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yup. Unfortunately I think this will be bundle via OEMs. Wouldn't mind if Google would buy the tech right off or license it to be used in the Android Camera app.

Yep. It seems it will be somewhat like Swype, bundled by individual manufacturers. Until someone buys them up.

kehs

Banned
Looks like Adobe's 'content-aware fill', which produces good results only in fairly limited conditions from my experience.

Nah, it takes multiple shots overlays them and punches in the details from the other shots, so it's not really creating anything, just merging.

Chairhome

Looks like Adobe's 'content-aware fill', which produces good results only in fairly limited conditions from my experience.

I think it works differently, looks like its finding stationary objects in the background (maybe it takes more pictures before/after you take the real pic, so it can compare), and keeping them as background. Then you can remove any "anomalies". Pretty cool.

Bah, beaten!

YoungHav

Banned
Question, I am under a family account. If I purchase an app, can I just use my own credit card or will it automatically show up on the account holder's bill?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Are there any good e-mail apps that work with Exchange servers? Roadsync came pre-installed on my phone, but I use that for my personal e-mail, and I'd like to be able to access my job e-mail too via my phone. Kthxby.

Combichristoffersen

Default email client supports multiple e-mail accounts.

I couldn't get it to work with the Exchange server my employer uses, it seemed to only support IMAP and POP3 servers, and I don't think it supported more than one e-mail account either? Dunno if Sony Ericsson use some non-standard e-mail app? This is a crummy old Xperia X10 Mini Pro running 2.3.1 btw.

Angst

I couldn't get it to work with the Exchange server my employer uses, it seemed to only support IMAP and POP3 servers, and I don't think it supported more than one e-mail account either? Dunno if Sony Ericsson use some non-standard e-mail app? This is a crummy old Xperia X10 Mini Pro running 2.3.1 btw.

Your company doesn't have a webmail interface? That's what I've always used to connect with my phone. I.e. use the webmail URL as server address in the mail client.

tastas

Neo Member

8Tracks is a nice free app that lets you listen to search and listen to playlists created by others. I think you have to sign up at 8tracks.com first to use it but it's a very nice app.

Combichristoffersen

Your company doesn't have a webmail interface? That's what I've always used to connect with my phone. I.e. use the webmail URL as server address in the mail client.

There's a webmail interface, but it also runs via Exchange from what I can gather, so setting the webmail URL as server address doesn't work either, as you have to specify what kind of server it is, and the default e-mail app only lets me choose between IMAP and POP3.

Angst

There's a webmail interface, but it also runs via Exchange from what I can gather, so setting the webmail URL as server address doesn't work either, as you have to specify what kind of server it is, and the default e-mail app only lets me choose between IMAP and POP3.

Try Touchdown. It should auto-detect (hopefully) the settings.

kehs

Banned
Question, I am under a family account. If I purchase an app, can I just use my own credit card or will it automatically show up on the account holder's bill?

Depending on the carrier you are on you'll have the option to charge on a card or charge on the bill.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pocket casts is a startlingly shitty podcast app. The widget basically never works properly.

There's a widget? I've used Pocket Casts since I got my GN and I love the thing -- one of my favorite apps even though it's pretty simple but it nails the basic functionality imo.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There's a widget? I've used Pocket Casts since I got my GN and I love the thing -- one of my favorite apps even though it's pretty simple but it nails the basic functionality imo.
The widget for me is the most critical part of a podcast app. The fact that it almost never works for me makes the program almost useless. Most seem happy with it though so I am probably an outlier.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone here use Go Locker? I just discovered it today and it works great. I just wish it had a few more unlock options and they were not so theme based. Can I make my own theme? Anyone know?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bunch of new awesome stuff added: Chrome Beta, OneNote, AirCalc, Mint.com update, SwitchMe, Dragon Go!, Lookout, RingDimmer, Bump, Paper Mache, Seesmic, 1Weather, Transparent Screen, Steam, Browser Swap, iOnRoad, PaperKarma, Rdio, Dotti

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hey guys I develop an app for Android if you want to test it out. It's still a work in progress but I think you will find it well rather unique is the best way to put it. It's a notepad app only more. There are links to reviews in the top of the description. Would be great if you could add to the front page :)

https://market.android.com/details?...s.app.enotesclassiclite&feature=search_result

Added you to the OP :)

When you click on Chrome beta, it opens up the Firefox Beta page. Gotta fix the link :p

Fixed. I blame my headache.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Since I manually downloaded and installed the Chrome beta APK, rather than installing it from the Market (it's not available in Sweden), I'll have to manually update it when there's an update, right? If so, will installing the new version over the old one simply update it, or will it overwrite it and my settings?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
are there any navigation apps that let you upload a pre-planned route and have it navigate?

Can't you do it online on Google Maps then Chrome to Phone it?

Top Bottom