• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Hey gaffers just wanted to let you know of a new app I just posted yesterday, I'd love feedback and suggestions on what to add :)

Ad supported version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.appgarden

A collection of useful utilities in one simple easy to use app. Several apps also have several sources to choose from. Here is a small sample of what's available and more coming soon:

Abbreviations
Conversions: acceleration, area, bandwidth/data type, circular measure, currency, decimal to roman numeral, energy, flow rate, fuel consumption, length/distance, liquid volume, power, pressure, sound, time, temperature, wavelength to RGB, weight/mass
Days until
Dictionary w/ 3 sources
Example word usage
Film related: Film information such as cast, cost etc, Rotten tomatoes reviews
Discount calculator
Mortgage calculator
Sales tax calculator
Standard calculator
Tip calculator
Basal metabolic rate
Body fat
Body Mass Index (BMI)
Daily caloric intake
Max heart rate
One rep max
Target heart rate
Waist to hip ratio
Water intake
Fitness related
Holiday listings from 6 countries
Mapping
Music related: Album art, artist information, artist image, similar artists, events via gps, track/song information
Ohm's Law
Phrases
Pastebin
Postal code lookup
Pronunciations
Question and answer
Random number
Random password
Random quote
Slang
Spelling suggestions
Stock quote
Stopwatch
Syllables
Synonyms
System stats
Timezone information using latitude/longitude or using current GPS position
Thesaurus w/ 3 sources
Urban dictionary
Bit.ly URL shortener
Weather using GPS, zipcode, city, alerts
Whois lookup
Wikipedia
Word etymology
Word of the day
Rhyming words w/ 2 sources.

Seems most of this talk is about phones.

any specific tablet apps that come recommended? I have stuff like Pulse and Dolphin already. Maybe a music player designed specifically for tablets? book reading app that is compatible with epubs?

thanks!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Seems most of this talk is about phones.

any specific tablet apps that come recommended? I have stuff like Pulse and Dolphin already. Maybe a music player designed specifically for tablets? book reading app that is compatible with epubs?

thanks!

Moon+ Reader is a pretty great ereader app. Dunno about music though, don't listen to music on my tablet. I don't know what else though, depends on what you do with your tablet. The problem with tablet stuff on android is that there usually isn't a separate tablet app. Apps usually load the phone or tablet interfaces depending on what you have, but that makes it hard to find out which apps have good tablet modes on the market.

zbeeb

bless you, sir. downloading now!

if anyone has a music player recommendation for android tablets, I'd still appreciate that.

ez pdf reader is also really good if you need to annotate, take notes, highlight, etc.

In terms of finding tablet specific apps, download an app called 'tablet market.' its quite good with frequent updates for new apps.

rpmurphy

Hey gaffers just wanted to let you know of a new app I just posted yesterday, I'd love feedback and suggestions on what to add :)

Ad supported version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.appgarden

A collection of useful utilities in one simple easy to use app. Several apps also have several sources to choose from. Here is a small sample of what's available and more coming soon:

Abbreviations
Conversions: acceleration, area, bandwidth/data type, circular measure, currency, decimal to roman numeral, energy, flow rate, fuel consumption, length/distance, liquid volume, power, pressure, sound, time, temperature, wavelength to RGB, weight/mass
Days until
Dictionary w/ 3 sources
Example word usage
Film related: Film information such as cast, cost etc, Rotten tomatoes reviews
Discount calculator
Mortgage calculator
Sales tax calculator
Standard calculator
Tip calculator
Basal metabolic rate
Body fat
Body Mass Index (BMI)
Daily caloric intake
Max heart rate
One rep max
Target heart rate
Waist to hip ratio
Water intake
Fitness related
Holiday listings from 6 countries
Mapping
Music related: Album art, artist information, artist image, similar artists, events via gps, track/song information
Ohm's Law
Phrases
Pastebin
Postal code lookup
Pronunciations
Question and answer
Random number
Random password
Random quote
Slang
Spelling suggestions
Stock quote
Stopwatch
Syllables
Synonyms
System stats
Timezone information using latitude/longitude or using current GPS position
Thesaurus w/ 3 sources
Urban dictionary
Bit.ly URL shortener
Weather using GPS, zipcode, city, alerts
Whois lookup
Wikipedia
Word etymology
Word of the day
Rhyming words w/ 2 sources.
It's cool, but also rather overwhelming. I don't know exactly how many you want to add, but at some point, creating logical groupings of apps would make it easier to use other than just pure alphabetical order.

One thing though I'd personally like to have is the Days Until you have now except with business days.

Divvy

Boid for Android

ICS Twitter client. Only in alpha stage but looks quite promising. Interface is deliciously-ICSy.

Jesus, this twitter client is awesome. It's the one we've all been waiting for.

Lm7MS.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

http://i.imgur.com/Lm7MS.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

It looks and feels like shit. But it's a good start, I guess. Considering it's the only ICS Twitter app out there...

Divvy

It looks and feels like shit. But it's a good start, I guess. Considering it's the only ICS Twitter app out there...

Wut, it looks awesome. Hopefully when its fully released, the kinks will be worked out and have background updating.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How does it look awesome? It's a two toned, plain Jane app. There's no style to it at all.

zbeeb

How does it look awesome? It's a two toned, plain Jane app. There's no style to it at all.

That's the style they're going for, to fit in with all ICS apps, not stick out like a sore thumb.

I know I prefer my apps to have a consistent look than each one to be completely different stylistically. Regardless, thats what choice is for!

SimleuqiR

Google needs to release picasa asap. AND give it a massive upgrade to compete with iPhoto.

This! The Gallery app on ICS is great, but we need something more to manage a large collection of albums on Picasa. The Google+ app does not cut it. Yes, it's great if I want to find a picture and share said picture on the network. But a need something more to organize my collection on the go.

Just read about this app Slice on TechCrunch...Something, Something about Schmidt:

TechChrunch Article

Once you sign up, the app automatically aggregates and pulls information from the electronic receipts in your email and organizes it in one place. The startup says that receipts and purchases often gets lost in your inbox and the app consolidates your shopping history in one place so you don’t have to log into multiple websites, dig through receipts or manually file emails. Slice for the iPhone gives you access to all this information on the go.

https://www.goslice.com/how_it_works

Market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slice

Although I have filters set up for the online merchants I frequently buy from, this presents everything in a very neat package. I might give it a try this weekend and set it up.

kehs

Banned
This! The Gallery app on ICS is great, but we need something more to manage a large collection of albums on Picasa. The Google+ app does not cut it. Yes, it's great if I want to find a picture and share said picture on the network. But a need something more to organize my collection on the go.

Just read about this app Slice on TechCrunch...Something, Something about Schmidt:

Market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slice

Although I have filters set up for the online merchants I frequently buy from, this presents everything in a very neat package. I might give it a try this weekend and set it up.

Schmidt branching out, I like it.

Also, I feel super uneasy about any app having access to my gmail. Some things I just won't give in to.

kehs

Banned
Dreams-Vision: Have you tried out Google Play(ugh) Music?

I think it's pretty slick, but I don't really have high requisites for music players beyong having a "now playing" list and a shuffle mode. It has a specific tablet layout.

Cudder

Ever since Twitter updated the official app for better ICS compatability, it's literally been the best running app on my Galaxy Nexus. Soooooo smooth.

Ever since Twitter updated the official app for better ICS compatability, it's literally been the best running app on my Galaxy Nexus. Soooooo smooth.

The scrolling is a million times improved but I hate how it always skips to the end of your timeline instead of where you were last.

So... infuriating.

luoapp

I recently noticed on Kindle Fire, if the video is longer than 1hour, it is not shown as "HD" on youtube mobile ( I was watching Giantbomb channel). Is it just me or true for all the devices/Android versions?

Mafro

Lm7MS.jpg
Just downloaded it and wow this looks great, especially with the dark theme selected. Shame it doesn't have any list support or image uploading yet. It doesn't show you who has retweeted a tweet either.

tino

Banned
For people who want a cloud storage. Sugarsync has better implimentation than dropbox and box.net.

Both PC client and Android client support background sync. You drop a file to your PC sync folder, it will show up on your Android device automatically. Its awesome to manage comic or ebook pdf files with it.

tino

Banned
Slice doesn't work with any of my Nexus devices, boo-urns.
It's a "private" app. You can't backup it with Astro Manager. I suspect it doesn't work on phones with unlocked bootloader for security reason.

Plus, it's not accurate. Too many duplicated order records and ebay purchases with "0" price. So basically it doesn't work.

Bboy AJ

I've been using Boid more and I like it. It just needs a lot more work and features added. Here's hoping.

Mafro

I've been using Boid more and I like it. It just needs a lot more work and features added. Here's hoping.
I'm amazed at how fast it is at loading the timeline and sending tweets compared to the official Twitter app and Tweakdeck.

Bboy AJ

How does it compare to Plume?
Plume is my main Twitter client. Boid is a lot smoother and has much more potential. It just doesn't have all the features I'd like but it is updated basically every day. I quite like the Dark theme.

Just download it and try it for yourself. It's free.

I've never used Plume, always thought it looked pretty ugly.

Plume is the best Twitter client on Android. That's not a compliment.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Smart AudioBook is the best audio book player I have used for free. Its only drawback is that it doesn't do speed change for now (and that updates several times per week, which is a negative point for some people).

jokkir

I just tried Boid out and it has a lot of potential considering it's only in Alpha. Hmmm... I feel like making a Twitter app now that has the ICS look

I'll see what happens.

Plume is my main Twitter client. Boid is a lot smoother and has much more potential. It just doesn't have all the features I'd like but it is updated basically every day. I quite like the Dark theme.

Just download it and try it for yourself. It's free.

Plume is the best Twitter client on Android. That's not a compliment.

This. Absolutely. It looks really nice, and functions well. I downloaded the free client, and after 15 minutes, I bought the "upgrade."

Top Bottom