• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

jmdajr

Hopefully we'll all be over wrestling by next WrestleMania.

yg62Dam93Iwq4.gif

We'll be here watching Roman Reigns HOF speech! Well, the one's that aren't dead.

Bix just did a special podcast going over the origins of Russo. He was the very first co-opted wrestling journalist, more or less.

He sponsored a wrestling talk show in New York through the video store he ran. This got him kind of co-editing power on the wrestling newsletter that same show was promoting/adjacent to. Now this is 92 and WWF is under real heavy fire from all the insider sheets for steroids and drug abuse as well as possible child abuse and homosexuality (the latter two were disproven). So Russo takes up this sabre and starts writing THINK OF THE CHILDREN pieces, with absolute zero subtly, wit or edge. He has zero talent for writing and comes off as a hack. He complains how WWF never respond to his allegations or request for information, nor any other upstanding wrestling journalist. He says how its all a disgusting corrupt cabal that is a blight on the wrestling industry.

Not only that but he reviews other wrestling tapes, including a Pat O'Connor match where he praises the realism, selling and pacing of the match, how it wasn't the guy who attacked the other one with a foreign object or how refreshing it was that all the action happened inside the ring. Vince Russo everybody.

Literally 2 WEEKS later, WWF runs a steroid symposium, Vinny Roo gets invited and he decides to attend (unlike Meltzer and Keller for example). There he meets Vince McMahon. He then splits with his partner at the newsletter because he wants to stan for the WWF now. He spends an entire issue going on about how unfair it is that everyone is going after Vince, how none of the allegations are true, how the newsletters are nothing but tabloid gossiphounds, how great the WWF is and how there is no way anybody is using steroids. He pulls the "I WENT TO COLLEGE AND GOT A DEGREE IN JOURNALISM BUDDY" line many, many times.

Vince Russo!

That's some carny ass shit right there.

Kaladin

Wrestling is funny. You get frustrated or jaded with it and rage quit for a while. But they always do something to bring you back. There is always something. Whether it's a year from when you quit, two years or the next Monday night. If you're a fan, they got you for life because there is nothing like it and it will always bring you back.

Mahonay

Banned
Wrestling is funny. You get frustrated or jaded with it and rage quit for a while. But they always do something to bring you back. There is always something. Whether it's a year from when you quit, two years or the next Monday night. If you're a fan, they got you for life because there is nothing like it and it will always bring you back.
This JBL stuff is really testing me at the moment.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Some great news from PWInsider:

The point of the AJ to Raw rumors is that WWE wants to reunite The Club. But recently they've been thinking about sending the Club to SmackDown and keeping AJ there.

Kaladin

The point of the AJ to Raw rumors is that WWE wants to reunite The Club. But recently they've been thinking about sending the Club to SmackDown and keeping AJ there.

Re-unite The Club but keep Balor far from it

Caderfix

I heard about the pipe bomb, that made me curious, but I was able to ignore it. Then about the yes movement, it became a bit harder. Then one day, when I checked OT for the first time I saw a RAW after Mania thread and found out about this community, and that's how I got back. Because of all of you, you monsters.

Yes, please.

Zeus gonna make Kento look strong :p

Incidentally, saw this chart earlier that shows attendances are pretty much up across the board for Q1 (ignore NOAH, everyone else is apparently haha);

nmnWxrR.jpg

That seems infinitely better. Hopefully would give the tag team division the kick up the ass it needs too.

klonere

Banned
Zeus gonna make Kento look strong :p

Incidentally, saw this chart earlier that shows attendances are pretty much up across the board for Q1 (ignore NOAH, everyone else is apparently haha);

nmnWxrR.jpg

Hey you spoiled it

SHDVlLU.gif

That's good to hear, NOAH had some great crowds and some horrific ones so yeah, they need to find their way back to consistency. BJW drawing very strongly and ofc DDT goes from strength to strength.

Caderfix

The best part of Sami going to SD would be keeping him away from KO.

"This is the last time they'll fight each other!" remember that?

Browny

Banned
My and Menome's video package gonna be all like:

Take that, Menome!
I'll be The Roadie to Menome's Double J:

Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy

Zach

NeoGAF Vince McMahon is trying to arrange a meetup via Twitter.

giphy.gif

Fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again!

Top Bottom