• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really can't see any way JBL hangs on through this.

QQeZcZL.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WWE is absolutely playing the "ignore it completely and hope everyone stops caring about it in a week or two" card.

And if it blows over, they'll continue on as if it never happened.
I mean mainstream coverage of it only started in the last couple of days.

jurgen

I mean mainstream coverage of it only started in the last couple of days.

I think it hit in the most ineffective time for WWE. They're still in the "Wrestlemania hangover" period where they are extremely insular and focus on resetting their little bubble world as they want it.

If this story had gotten legs a month ago when media outlets were starting to cover Wrestlemania, I could see them doing something. They're probably just going to weather the storm at this point.

Teeth

Listening to LAW review SmackDown and Ziggler sounds so fucking cringy and try-hard. Glad he'll never get a main event push.

You should have seen him on Talking Smack where he continued to weirdly harass Renee (now that she's married he's being extra creepy) and then basically go full on job interview about taking over Daniel Bryan's role.

So damn bizarre.

Listening to LAW review SmackDown and Ziggler sounds so fucking cringy and try-hard. Glad he'll never get a main event push.

I don't get Ziggler's act

Like he wants to be a heel... but.... he still does that same cringey shit he did when he was a face.

It's not even cool like let's say the Usos, who Daniel and Renee both love despite them technically being heels.

tumblr_on7y715DrC1s05wxzo2_400.gif

NXT was a nice show, not a great episode but nice, easy to watch, didn't drag Oney Lorcan might be the most underrated guy in the company, that dude works at 110% be it in a 2 minute match, a 5 minute match or a 15 minute match.

It was clearly designed as a sort of jumping in point for any news Network subscribers they might have picked up post Mania... which was exemplified by my laugh outloud moment of the week: Tom Philips feeling the need to say "That's Nikki Cross... from Sanity" when Cross came out during Ruby Riot's match. Gee thanks Tom for a minute there I thought holy shit is that Sister Abigail? I'm being picky it was just such a yah not shit Tom moment it made me laugh.

Other laugh out loud highlight was Sad Ember Moon... and I thought Serious Ember Moon was bad... what the fuck was that? Like i'm impressed they found a way to make her actually worse. Man oh man what started as White Wolf/Anne Rice gimmick (well half a gimmick) went full on fucking Twilight with that mopey, whiny sad sack vignette. Fuck that piano track was full on Sad Charley Brown Walk. Credit though she didn't have her contacts in for no reason... that said given it's Ember Moon she or WWE probably just forgot to have her put them on. That video was Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. Everything they do with her out of the ring is the worst thing in all of WWE.

On the bright side Royce and Kay continue to be nothing short of delightful and Dylan Miley, despite having the dumbest name for a big man, looks like he's going to be a really fun attraction, I love me a good Killer Big Man. Poor dude, his is real name is Dylan Roode... Alas Roode is taken.. but all they could come up with is fucking Miley? Can WWE rehire Don Callis, put him back in his Cyrus gimmick and put him with this guy so they can be Miley & Cyrus?

I don't get Ziggler's act

Like he wants to be a heel... but.... he still does that same cringey shit he did when he was a face.

It's not even cool like let's say the Usos, who Daniel and Renee both love despite them technically being heels.

tumblr_on7y715DrC1s05wxzo2_400.gif

The Ziggler you saw on Talking Smack is pretty close to OOC Ziggles... check out his stupid appearance on some Fox Business (or some Fox newsish show).. dude is just naturally a condescending douche.

Striker

I fucking miss MNM

Jim Cornette was right, their OVW entrance really was the shit. Vince should have just licensed it, he pushed them to the moon and put the straps on them anyway.
Cornette said once they made it to the main roster, Vince or whoever wanted Mercury off the team. And he was the one who came up all the ideas in the first place for their gimmick.

Hasney

Damn, got told to go watch the main event of 205 Live and it didn't disappoint. Gallagher V TJ Perkins was really good and felt like an old CWC match. They were given 20 minutes, told a great story and paced the faster spots well. Where the hell has this been for this show?

Adree

Damn, got told to go watch the main event of 205 Live and it didn't disappoint. Gallagher V TJ Perkins was really good and felt like an old CWC match. They were given 20 minutes, told a great story and paced the faster spots well. Where the hell has this been for this show?

Most of the shows so far have just been Vince McMahon putting in dumb storylines that never end.

Adree

Yeah, I know. Fuuuuuuuuccccchhhs sake.

Still, they could still have the Dar segments and matches like this.

None of them have benefited from getting "personalities" with the exception of Gallagher and he already had that one. Maybe Dar did a bit since he was bland in the tournament but why do the cruiserweights have 6 month long storylines?

Hasney

None of them have benefited from getting "personalities" with the exception of Gallagher and he already had that one. Maybe Dar did a bit since he was bland in the tournament but why do the cruiserweights have 6 month long storylines?

Because Vince finds something funny.

It does look to be a bit more promising now though with AA there and Ali looking damn good recently. Going to need to change TJPs music to some sort of boss fight chiptune now though.

Pikma

Banned
Apparently Meltzer mentioned they're holding off on Metalik so he can improve his english

I have no idea why they debuted him if that was always the case

Can Barenato even work? I vaguely recall seeing her once on NXT and her being green.

No one knows for sure because her stuff never makes tape. However, the potential is there.

Baszler is so fucking bad. Like legitimately terrible. I'd sooner watch Liv work because at least she isn't acting like she's great.

Berenato vs. Baszler could probably work a shoot style to make the match something different, which is where the money could be. Same with Berenato vs. Asuka: either person could offer Asuka a match unlike what's she's had so far in her NXT run.

I feel like weekly NXT might be getting better with the new folks and people moving on.

I really enjoyed this week.

The Ember Moon thing was not good though. I really like her but her character doesn't make sense and segments like that are really incongruent.

Pikma

Banned
I feel like weekly NXT might be getting better with the new folks and people moving on.

I really enjoyed this week.

The Ember Moon thing was not good though. I really like her but her character doesn't make sense and segments like that are really incongruent.
Yeah it's slowly picking up

Lion's Gate Project 4's on NJPW World in a little over an hour, anyone watching?

QbnAmk5.gif

Should be a fun show, there's rookie wrestlers from AJPW, FREEDOMS & K-Dojo joining the New Japan talent. In the opening match Red Shoes' son Shota Unno makes his debut. Also, look out for young AJPW stars Aoyagi & Iwamoto who are pretty impressive and hopefully get a competitive match out of Jado & Gedo. I'm personally looking forward to seeing if Kawato's recent fire continues when faced against Despy, probably the hardest hitting Jr. on the roster at present.

Top Bottom